HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hydration vs over hydration?

Old
09-16-2016, 03:09 PM
Cams

vCash: 500
Hydration vs over hydration?

First of all, been playing since I could walk - I'm 43. Never really took hockey seriously until it was too l late (LOL - I'm sure many people say this). Anyway..... for the last 20 years or so, it's been rec league, pick up, coaching. For the last 2 years, I have only skated at a good pace (rec league pick up) about 10-12 times. Also have to keep in mind, I am about 15-20 lbs heavier than when I was playing multiple times a week. It's quite a good pace, and I would classify myself as an average player in this group (you can tell the guys who play year round and multiple times/week). Legs remember, lungs are taking their time. LOL - extra weight doesn't help.

My winter hockey started last week (this Wed was week #2). What I found after week 1 - I drank all my water bottle (bigger, fatter one), and was exhausted - showered, had a gatorade on the way home. Felt great in the morning. This week - I drank more before the ice time - had a pop about an hour before, and a Red Bull before I jumped on the ice - had more energy (despite us being short skaters, thus more ice time/less break), didn't require as much water from the water bottle, still did the gatorade after. What I found was that although I felt better on the ice (of course, it wasn't skate #1 either), I was up almost every hour going to the bathroom!

FYI - ice is late - 10:15 and it's an hour, with nobody after us, so we play a bit longer.

Any thoughts re: hydration in a scenario like this?

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Kathryn Tappen
yeah whatever ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cams View Post
First of all, been playing since I could walk - I'm 43. Never really took hockey seriously until it was too l late (LOL - I'm sure many people say this). Anyway..... for the last 20 years or so, it's been rec league, pick up, coaching. For the last 2 years, I have only skated at a good pace (rec league pick up) about 10-12 times. Also have to keep in mind, I am about 15-20 lbs heavier than when I was playing multiple times a week. It's quite a good pace, and I would classify myself as an average player in this group (you can tell the guys who play year round and multiple times/week). Legs remember, lungs are taking their time. LOL - extra weight doesn't help.

My winter hockey started last week (this Wed was week #2). What I found after week 1 - I drank all my water bottle (bigger, fatter one), and was exhausted - showered, had a gatorade on the way home. Felt great in the morning. This week - I drank more before the ice time - had a pop about an hour before, and a Red Bull before I jumped on the ice - had more energy (despite us being short skaters, thus more ice time/less break), didn't require as much water from the water bottle, still did the gatorade after. What I found was that although I felt better on the ice (of course, it wasn't skate #1 either), I was up almost every hour going to the bathroom!

FYI - ice is late - 10:15 and it's an hour, with nobody after us, so we play a bit longer.

Any thoughts re: hydration in a scenario like this?
Was it unusual for you to drink a Red Bull or consume caffeine? It acts as a diuretic, which may have factored into your peeing routine...Same applies with soda if it has caffeine of course.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of Red Bull or not. I'm really curious if professionals actually use it, or if it just gets plugged (advertised) into footage such as HBO 24/7 as I've seen in the past.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpgKZc86G1w See 00:18 Dupius drinking a Red Bull apparently.

.If you're going to consume it, it is probably better to make it more sustainable, meaning don't chug the entire thing before the first period as opposed to gradually sipping it.

regarding your thread title...there's no such thing as overhydration. Unless you're pounding down gallons of water within hours you aren't going to poison yourself....its just not gonna happen. All that matters is your potassium:sodium is good and you are well hydrated. If you're overhydrated, you're simply going to pee.

Last edited by Kathryn Tappen: 09-16-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Kathryn Tappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2016, 08:33 PM
Sproo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Tappen View Post
Was it unusual for you to drink a Red Bull or consume caffeine? It acts as a diuretic, which may have factored into your peeing routine...Same applies with soda if it has caffeine of course.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of Red Bull or not. I'm really curious if professionals actually use it, or if it just gets plugged (advertised) into footage such as HBO 24/7 as I've seen in the past.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpgKZc86G1w See 00:18 Dupius drinking a Red Bull apparently.

.If you're going to consume it, it is probably better to make it more sustainable, meaning don't chug the entire thing before the first period as opposed to gradually sipping it.

regarding your thread title...there's no such thing as overhydration. Unless you're pounding down gallons of water within hours you aren't going to poison yourself....its just not gonna happen. All that matters is your potassium:sodium is good and you are well hydrated. If you're overhydrated, you're simply going to pee.
I think there is such a thing as overhydration. I like to call it drowning.

On a semi-related note, one of my best friend's brother-in-law is a former pro athlete, and I remember once hanging out with them and he was telling a story about the ridiculous amounts of coffee he used to drink before games. His son eventually became a pro athelete and was suspended for doping. So be careful, coffeine might be a gateway drug!

Sproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2016, 02:41 AM
deadman1515

Everyone is different and it changes with age and even how much fluid intake your body is used to consuming. It's one of those things you really need to figure out the best balance for you personally. Like for me I've just tried to increase my regular daily intake of water so it's helped adjust and oddly I always have 1 really good pee and 1 decent pee before a game about 5-10 minutes apart like my bladder knows since that never happens any other time lol.

deadman1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2016, 10:27 AM
Cams

It was just a stark contrast when comparing the 2 weeks. I should drink more water during my daily routines - that is something I have to improve upon (again).

re: RedBull - I only drink one once in a while - but wanted to see how/if it made a difference.

Sproo - coffee - I used to play in a Sunday AM rec league, and I learned (at least for me) that coffee before hockey is a no-no. It really didn't give much of a boost, and the crash (before our game was over) was just not a good thing!

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote