HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mouthguards

Old
12-26-2016, 04:46 PM
hitman9172

vCash: 500
Mouthguards

Switching from a cage to a visor so looking into getting a mouthguard for the first time.

1. Do you find it difficult to breathe or talk with boil-and-bite mouthguards?

2. Do any of you use dental night guards instead of sports guards? I've heard people say dental guards are better because they're custom-fitted, although I'm assuming they're not meant to withstand high impacts.

3. Any recommendations for mouth guards?

hitman9172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2016, 07:51 PM
sandviper

I use an UA boil and bite and initially it was hard to get used to but it works ok now. Compared to what I used back in the 90s, today's mouth guards are more comfortable.

A local dentist who sponsors my son's hockey leagues does custom mouthguards for $30. Considering asking him to do one for me since I coach.

While I think mouth guards provide some protection against losing teeth, I don't think that is their main purpose. I always thought they were to protect against concussions (teeth clacking one another when hit or fall).

sandviper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2016, 07:52 PM
ya dad
ur a joke

vCash: 1049
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/...331809102.html

Started using this at the beginning of the season and I have absolutely loved it. Always used the bulkier mouthguards that you can get at Canadian tire for 5 bucks, but the customization of these are great. With the molding process, you are able to get a perfect fit. One downside is that after 20 ice times the mold will deform, but it just takes three minutes to boil water and get another perfect fit. Another plus is that I used to destroy my mouthguards by chewing through them, but in this case these are very high quality and very hard to tear. I would give it a 8.5/10

ya dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2016, 10:41 PM
damack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandviper View Post
While I think mouth guards provide some protection against losing teeth, I don't think that is their main purpose. I always thought they were to protect against concussions (teeth clacking one another when hit or fall).
That used to be the thought, but was disproven

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/conc...-myth-1.845686

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2016, 11:12 PM
hitman9172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harambe View Post
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/...331809102.html

Started using this at the beginning of the season and I have absolutely loved it. Always used the bulkier mouthguards that you can get at Canadian tire for 5 bucks, but the customization of these are great. With the molding process, you are able to get a perfect fit. One downside is that after 20 ice times the mold will deform, but it just takes three minutes to boil water and get another perfect fit. Another plus is that I used to destroy my mouthguards by chewing through them, but in this case these are very high quality and very hard to tear. I would give it a 8.5/10
Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard great things about the SISU mouthguards.

Old
12-27-2016, 02:20 AM
BM14

My dentist custom made one for me with my team's colours.
Sidenote: her daughter is on the U18 women's national team.

BM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2016, 06:31 AM
jnk96
@janikbeichler

I only know my orthodontist does custom ones; assuming many orthodontists and dentists do. You should probably check that out and see what they say how they compare to boil and bite ones.

jnk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2016, 07:07 AM
shoeshine boy

a few years ago one of my buddies started his own mouthguard company. these are the only mouthguards I've ever worn that I actually like.
http://www.impactmouthguards.com/

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2016, 11:05 AM
ONO94

Quote:
Originally Posted by damack View Post
That used to be the thought, but was disproven

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/conc...-myth-1.845686
Not studied and disproven are two totally different things. The article itself says that there is no scientific evidence because there have been no studies. It would seem like there is a doctoral dissertation waiting to happen for someone looking for a topic related to hockey....

ONO94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

I've always worn a dentist fitted mouthguard in a number of sports, even basketball. I don't know about the concussion thing, but I've copped knocks a number of times to the mouth/ face area and been conscious that it might have much worse without one.

I wear a half visor and would never play without a mouthguard. I know some people say they have issues with breathing or whatever, I don't see how, but I've been wearing one for so long, it seems unnatural without one.

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2016, 07:00 PM
hitman9172

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
a few years ago one of my buddies started his own mouthguard company. these are the only mouthguards I've ever worn that I actually like.
http://www.impactmouthguards.com/
Ended up ordering the CCM SISU mouthguard another poster recommended above. Heard a few other people mention the great fit as well.

If I don't like it, I'll definitely look into ordering a custom mouthguard from Impact.

Old
12-28-2016, 09:35 PM
CaptBrannigan

The CCM SISUs are great.

Anecdotally, they appear to be the best fitting. I've had literally no less than a dozen very happy parents and kids who "can't wear a mouthguard" report back that this one is the best fitting of non-custom options. We've carried UA, Proguard, Shock Doctor, MOGO, and a few others in the past and the SISU wins hands down in the fit department.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2016, 05:48 PM
Bondoao1

I use the strapless shock doctor mouthguard.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Shock_Do...age-SDPMG.html

Bondoao1 is offline   Reply With Quote