HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What durometer wheels?

Old
05-28-2016, 09:10 AM
jinx
Rookie User

vCash: 500
What durometer wheels?

Hey guys,

New to hockey and these forums and I'm looking for some help. I recently got some 74A indoor wheels for my skates but I feel that they aren't really soft enough as I'm slipping a bit when turning and stuff. I've had a look at new wheels but I'm not sure how soft I need them. I'm pretty light at 125lbs

Any help would be appreciated

jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2016, 08:09 PM
silkyjohnson50

Revision Variant has 72A wheels designed for those under 150lb. I can't remember if they're the Plus or Platinums, but either way, you'll likely be dishing out some coin for them.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2016, 01:24 AM
manictech

Probably just need to work on your skating.

manictech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2016, 10:44 AM
jinx
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manictech View Post
Probably just need to work on your skating.
How would working on my skating help me get more grip?

Old
05-29-2016, 10:46 AM
jinx
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Revision Variant has 72A wheels designed for those under 150lb. I can't remember if they're the Plus or Platinums, but either way, you'll likely be dishing out some coin for them.
Cheers mate, ill look into them. It might be hard since I'm based in the UK though.

Old
05-29-2016, 02:13 PM
manictech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
How would working on my skating help me get more grip?
Hardness selection should be based on player weight and skating ability. A player can choose a wheel designated for a heavier skater if they have advanced skating skills to compress the wheel enough to grip. This will allow the player to maximize their speed. I worked a lot on skating until I was comfortable skating on a 76A with no gripping issues although based on weight I should be skating on 72A for better grip. My point is sometimes it's not the wheels but the skater. It's just a suggestion and not meant to be insulting. You could also try sonic grip juice, they sell that on hockey monkey.

Old
05-29-2016, 04:43 PM
jinx
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manictech View Post
Hardness selection should be based on player weight and skating ability. A player can choose a wheel designated for a heavier skater if they have advanced skating skills to compress the wheel enough to grip. This will allow the player to maximize their speed. I worked a lot on skating until I was comfortable skating on a 76A with no gripping issues although based on weight I should be skating on 72A for better grip. My point is sometimes it's not the wheels but the skater. It's just a suggestion and not meant to be insulting. You could also try sonic grip juice, they sell that on hockey monkey.
Maybe it was the question mark that made it appear as if I took it the wrong way. Quite the opposite, I'm new to all this so ill take all the help I can get. I was just unsure of how that would work, but after your explanation it makes more sense.

what sort of drills did you do to improve you skating?
And how long did it take you the develop the skills to be able to use a harder wheel?

Old
Yesterday, 10:13 PM
manictech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Maybe it was the question mark that made it appear as if I took it the wrong way. Quite the opposite, I'm new to all this so ill take all the help I can get. I was just unsure of how that would work, but after your explanation it makes more sense.

what sort of drills did you do to improve you skating?
And how long did it take you the develop the skills to be able to use a harder wheel?
Ah okay I thought I made you made! I didn't really do any drills, it seems like most people have issues in turns and stopping. I practiced turning a lot. You really have to dig in, I'm not very good at explaining it but I guess picture being on ice and digger your blades in. Try to skate as my much as possible if it's something you enjoy. I always had a pair of regular roller blades, still inline skates but not hockey skates. I would skate around my neighborhood for hours. The more you skate the more comfortable you will get.