HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Here we go Again...Official Punches Kids...Gets Attacked by Trainer

Old
01-19-2016, 05:27 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Here we go Again...Official Punches Kids...Gets Attacked by Trainer

Wowzers. Junior Hockey level. Where do they get these guys?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2016, 05:41 PM
sandysan

It looked to me like he really popped the kid then "kind of" pushed him. This one is way stranger than the first one and the trainer joining the fray, didn't he see him coming ?

What a mess. If my eyes do not deceive me, I think the official got off light.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2016, 06:52 PM
ChiTownCode
Natural Perm

I think the trainer had every right to steamroll that ref.

ChiTownCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2016, 12:47 AM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

What level/age is that at?

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2016, 03:35 AM
BrummieRed

Minor hockey seems to have a real problem with idiots. It looks like Sunday/pub team football (soccer) used to be here (UK). Need long bans dishing out for everything from the first scuffle to solve it, IMO like.

BrummieRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2016, 04:03 AM
kurt
the last emperor

holy crap

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2016, 06:37 AM
Dustin Peener
Maldonator

vCash: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonzilla View Post
What level/age is that at?
The GMHL, an independent "Junior A" league in Ontario separate from Hockey Canada so they can scam money off of gullible Europeans who think they're going to play a high standard of hockey in Canada. Lots of British kids go over to play in this league and most of them aren't even good by our standards.

Something like this happening in this league doesn't surprise me at all

Playing the guitar badly, wearing beads, talking about 'one love' and pretending you are friends with Central American villagers - who, by the way, despise you - before heading back to your parents five-bedroomed house in Surrey, doesn't make you a spiritual person, it makes you a bell-end.
Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2016, 10:22 AM
GoldenBearHockey

vCash: 475
Yea, saw this the other day,

Linesman does everything right.....until he swings the kid around and pops him one, absolutely on reason for that. We don't know what was said, but the kid he popped was taking some extra shots, so the lines was probably yipping at him for that, when they are both hunched over, etc, even if the kid trys to get away, no need to pop him, he's lucky all he got was steamrolled in that situation.

And yes, before it is brought up, completely different than the last situation, different behaviour from the officials, kids, etc

GoldenBearHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2016, 02:48 PM
Ethereal Whisper
A Frozen Heart

vCash: 464
Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal Whisper
Totally unnecessary from the linesman, I don't know what the hell he was thinking.

Uncalled for from the trainer too though, even though from more of a "karmic" standpoint the linesman definitely had it coming.

She lost him, but found herself. And somehow that was everything.
Ethereal Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2016, 03:23 PM
sandysan

just for clarification, everyone else "sees" the linesman popping the kid in the chops before the "push" with the left as the kid falls. I watched it a lot thinking that because of the spinneroo he was reaching back up to grab a handfull of jersey on top of the shoulder pads, and somehow missed. Then I watched it again an I'm convinced the linesman in that case is actually throwing at the kid. like intentionally throwing at the kid.

Lots of bad stuff can happen coincidentally in a fight, there's a lot of limbs flailing about but the more I watch this the more it looks like the linesman is intentionally throwing a punch at the kid. if that's the case, the trainer let the guy off light.

Old
01-20-2016, 03:29 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

Once again the official was way out of order, but a team official then running on to exact retribution, after the fact is real bottom of the barrel behaviour by an absolute knuckle dragger.

Anyone in an official capacity with a team, coach, trainer, manager or whatever ought to have a modicum of discipline, intellect and level headedness, especially in an environment with younger impressionable guys. That guy shouldn't be around a young team. It might be different with Torts at NHL level, but they are all men and theatre's a part of it.

It was own team that started the whole fracas when one of his players ran the goalie from behind right at the beginning, while the way the team whooped it up on the bench after the trainer clobbered the ref suggests none of them are going anywhere in the game anytime soon..ever.

Just as in the last one, you never touch a match official, ever; which certainly doesn't excuse the referees actions.

Old
01-20-2016, 03:48 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Once again the official was way out of order, but a team official then running on to exact retribution, after the fact is real bottom of the barrel behaviour by an absolute knuckle dragger.

Anyone in an official capacity with a team, coach, trainer, manager or whatever ought to have a modicum of discipline, intellect and level headedness, especially in an environment with younger impressionable guys. That guy shouldn't be around a young team. It might be different with Torts at NHL level, but they are all men and theatre's a part of it.

It was own team that started the whole fracas when one of his players ran the goalie from behind right at the beginning, while the way the team whooped it up on the bench after the trainer clobbered the ref suggests none of them are going anywhere in the game anytime soon..ever.

Just as in the last one, you never touch a match official, ever; which certainly doesn't excuse the referees actions.
and you are also never supposed to pop a kid so I'm torn between two edicts. Me, I side with the kid ( and by extension the trainer). It also looked like one of the popee's teamates wanted to get at the linesman but was restrained.

Wearing stripes is not and should never be a get out of jail card for intentionally throwing at a kid. I get that no one is perfect and mistakes are made at all levels of the game, but to me this was no mistake. And who started the fracas means little if anything to me. if you cant separate guys from throwing without throwing yourself, you might want to hang em up for good.

Edit: After popping the first kid it looks like the " official" takes a poke at the kid's teamate as well. I don't know how I missed that the first 10 times I watched it. Throws one in close on a kid then jabs another kid who takes offense. That aint no "mistake" and I have absolutely no sympathy for what happened later and he's lucky he wasn't pumelled more by the trainer.

Last edited by sandysan: 01-20-2016 at 03:53 PM. Reason: addition
Old
01-20-2016, 04:17 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

The sort of example shown by the trainer can only hinder the development and future prospects of his charges. If they think that's how things roll or are supposed to roll, they'll only get themselves into trouble further down the track; and I'm not just talking hockey.

Refs behaviour = very bad; trainers = even worse.

..and I certainly don't balk at a scrap, but there's a time and place for..and a time not for; and some form of invitation is appropriate.

A good trainers first thought ought to be to check on the welfare of his player/s first. He didn't seem too concerned about that.

Last edited by Goonzilla: 01-20-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old
01-20-2016, 04:30 PM
sandysan

Quote:
The sort of example shown by the trainer can only hinder the development and future prospects of his charges. If they think that's how things roll or are supposed to roll, they'll only get themselves into trouble further down the track; and I'm not just talking hockey.

Refs behaviour = very bad; trainers = even worse.

..and I certainly don't balk at a scrap, but there's a time and place for..and a time not for; and some form of invitation is appropriate.

A good trainers first thought ought to be to check on the welfare of his player/s first. He didn't seem too concerned about that.
and letting a ref take two pokes at kids without a response does what precisely to advance the game ?

if the ref had grabbed a fist full of jersey and the kid took a tumble, no one says peep. But he didn't, he intentionally threw at a kid and then took another poke at a different kid.

wearing the stripes does not give you the right to throw at kids with impunity and I hope to hell it never does. It could have been WAY worse and had the trainer knocked the guy in the stripes to the ice and started tuning him up good, I'm not sure that wouldn't have been unjustified.

Old
01-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Canadian91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
and you are also never supposed to pop a kid so I'm torn between two edicts. Me, I side with the kid ( and by extension the trainer). It also looked like one of the popee's teamates wanted to get at the linesman but was restrained.

Wearing stripes is not and should never be a get out of jail card for intentionally throwing at a kid. I get that no one is perfect and mistakes are made at all levels of the game, but to me this was no mistake. And who started the fracas means little if anything to me. if you cant separate guys from throwing without throwing yourself, you might want to hang em up for good.

Edit: After popping the first kid it looks like the " official" takes a poke at the kid's teamate as well. I don't know how I missed that the first 10 times I watched it. Throws one in close on a kid then jabs another kid who takes offense. That aint no "mistake" and I have absolutely no sympathy for what happened later and he's lucky he wasn't pumelled more by the trainer.

Wow. Good thing you don't run the GMHL's discipline department!

What we have here is two people who were both extremely out of line. Both should be thrown out of the league, and I'm saying that as someone who has been involved in hockey discipline before.

A lot of people have issues with the way referees handle brawls and those issues often don't have any foundation. But here... you really can't side with the guy because he goes after two different people. He shouldn't ref minor hockey again.

As for the trainer, running on the ice to protest something a referee did should already warrant a season-long ban. He basically speared the ref, he shouldn't be back in a hockey arena ever again. Just a despicable action by an irrational person. I don't care what just happened on the ice, you're an adult... start acting like one.

Just an all-around unfortunate situation. No part of it should be encouraged by anyone.

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Canadian91

Quote:
and letting a ref take two pokes at kids without a response does what precisely to advance the game ?

if the ref had grabbed a fist full of jersey and the kid took a tumble, no one says peep. But he didn't, he intentionally threw at a kid and then took another poke at a different kid.

wearing the stripes does not give you the right to throw at kids with impunity and I hope to hell it never does. It could have been WAY worse and had the trainer knocked the guy in the stripes to the ice and started tuning him up good, I'm not sure that wouldn't have been unjustified.
At what point does the poster you quoted ever try to justify the referee's actions? He says it's really bad and condemns it.

What the trainer did in retaliation was worse than the original push by the referee.

The amount of people trying to justify the physical abuse of officials on here really bothers me. What does that say about the safety of teenage officials on the ice for minor and junior hockey games?

Old
01-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

It's a really unfortunate element of the game, the uncontrolled aggression and poor self-discipline; and I'm pro-fighting and pro-aggression, but not fighting for fighting's sake and losing the plot like so many idiots do. It's unbecoming at any level. If you're not part of it you're not part of it, stay away; and when the point has been made, it's done with. Get on with the game.

Too many people just look like they're trying to impress the hell out of everyone else. Show ponies.

What on earth was that trainer trying to prove?..that he's a bigger **** than the ref is all he managed.

Old
01-20-2016, 05:00 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
At what point does the poster you quoted ever try to justify the referee's actions? He says it's really bad and condemns it.

What the trainer did in retaliation was worse than the original push by the referee.

The amount of people trying to justify the physical abuse of officials on here really bothers me. What does that say about the safety of teenage officials on the ice for minor and junior hockey games?
why is it worse ? Where does it say that as a trainer, if the official takes repeated pokes at your KID players that you have to stand on the bench and raise your hands and beg for the refs to help you ? oh wait .............

I can guarantee you, there IS an expectation that refs should not START throwing at multliple kids unprovoked. if you want the respect of the players for wearing the stripes, you can't do what that guy did. if you do, you don't get the respect. To suggest that " you never touch an official" extends to when the official is throwing at kids is lunacy.

I'm not saying the trainer shouldn't be punished, he should. but its a justified punishment for doing the right thing. What's the aleternative, let the " official" take shots at more kids ? stand there and say " well he's got the stripes so he gets to do whatever he wants"?

the "official" took two pokes before the trainer showed up, none afterwards.

Old
01-20-2016, 05:19 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

You are right about the him, but the linesman I'm afraid doesn't look particularly imposing. Just showing up would have been more than enough to quell things without flattening the guy.

Ordinarily I'd suggest his players probably think themselves plenty tough enough to take the knocks without him running on to save them. Would he still lace up their skates for them too do you reckon?

Kids I know would be pretty embarrassed by a team official behaving like that. All it looked like was an opportunity for a big buffoon to belt a match official.

Old
01-20-2016, 07:28 PM
Caeldan
Whippet Whisperer

vCash: 100
The kid that got popped is also the one who started everything but obliterating the unsuspecting goalie.
Not excusing anything but at least there's some karmic retribution there

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Canadiens1958

Actual Story

Details of the November 2015 incident with league actions linked:

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/01/19/go...-hockey-brawl/

Canadiens1958 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2016, 03:53 AM
dami0101
Rookie User

Quote:
why is it worse ? Where does it say that as a trainer, if the official takes repeated pokes at your KID players that you have to stand on the bench and raise your hands and beg for the refs to help you ? oh wait .............

I can guarantee you, there IS an expectation that refs should not START throwing at multliple kids unprovoked. if you want the respect of the players for wearing the stripes, you can't do what that guy did. if you do, you don't get the respect. To suggest that " you never touch an official" extends to when the official is throwing at kids is lunacy.

I'm not saying the trainer shouldn't be punished, he should. but its a justified punishment for doing the right thing. What's the aleternative, let the " official" take shots at more kids ? stand there and say " well he's got the stripes so he gets to do whatever he wants"?

As someone who used to officiate I agree there is absolutely no excuse for what the linesman did, as an official you are there to provide an environment that is conducive to the game of hockey, not get personally involved. We don't know what was exchanged between the player and the ref, as far as we know the guy just lost his spouse/parent/child and the player made a remark that had we heard, we would be sitting here going yeah, he deserved what he got. I notice you apparently don't have a problem with the behavior of the player, especially where he takes out an unsuspecting goalie or continues to pummel on the guy who is no longer in a position to defend himself as he's being held down by the official. As for the 2nd player that he "throws" at, that wasn't a punch, that was a get out of my face push.

The trainers actions were completely unexcused. His first instinct should have been to check on his player that was on the ice, not go after the ref. And by the time he got to the ref, the ref was done and possibly sitting there going WTF did I just do. There were two other officials at that game, you let them handle their compatriot and you lodge a complaint with the league and association, you don't take thing into your own hands; that's called vigilante justice, and this guy doesn't look like batman to me.

The actions of the player, the ref, and the linesman are completely inexcusable, there's no justification for any of what happened, but all that remarks like yours do is put the safety of officials everywhere on the line.

dami0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2016, 06:52 AM
Canadian91

Quote:

Everyone on the ice and everyone watching understands that what the linesman did is a bad thing. There is this huge misconception going around that officials run rampant with little to no accountability. This is not true. Believe me, leagues have a responsibility to discipline their officials when they do something wrong, and while it isn't done in the public eye, it does happen.

A long suspension is all that is necessary here, no trainer or team official needs to validate your dislike for officials by charging over the boards and physically assaulting someone.

Last edited by Canadian91: 01-21-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old
01-21-2016, 07:58 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
Everyone on the ice and everyone watching understands that what the linesman did is a bad thing. There is this huge misconception going around that officials run rampant with little to no accountability. This is not true. Believe me, leagues have a responsibility to discipline their officials when they do something wrong, and while it isn't done in the public eye, it does happen.

A long suspension is all that is necessary here, no trainer or team official needs to validate your dislike for officials by charging over the boards and physically assaulting someone.
Its kids, there are going to be fights and its the officials job to do their best to control the situation without taking a poke or two at players.

Let's say you are by the glass and as the ref passes by you ask where he keeps his service dog and cane while he refs and he turns around and pops you, you stand thete and pretend the stripes are the same as a crested "S"?

His actions, which were unprovoked, made a bad situation WORSE. If the kid goaded him into it hes a crappy official AND it doesnt excuse the second poke he took at the kid he wasnt engaged with.

Things have consequences, you run tge goalie you better get your mitts up. As an official, you take TWO pokes at player what happens after that is pretty much on you. You start things in motion, you cant then complain that you dont like how far things go.

If player #2 would have gotten into it with the ref would that have been better?

Old
01-21-2016, 09:09 AM
GoldenBearHockey

vCash: 475
Quote:
Its kids, there are going to be fights and its the officials job to do their best to control the situation without taking a poke or two at players.

Let's say you are by the glass and as the ref passes by you ask where he keeps his service dog and cane while he refs and he turns around and pops you, you stand thete and pretend the stripes are the same as a crested "S"?

His actions, which were unprovoked, made a bad situation WORSE. If the kid goaded him into it hes a crappy official AND it doesnt excuse the second poke he took at the kid he wasnt engaged with.

Things have consequences, you run tge goalie you better get your mitts up. As an official, you take TWO pokes at player what happens after that is pretty much on you. You start things in motion, you cant then complain that you dont like how far things go.

If player #2 would have gotten into it with the ref would that have been better?
By this argument, you seem to be ok with a player taking a baseball swing at the guy's head...because whatever happened was on the lines....right?

GoldenBearHockey is offline   Reply With Quote