HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Which way to shoot?

Old
06-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Capshockey96
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Which way to shoot?

Hey guys,

I am 17 years old and just starting to play hockey. Currently I'm playing in a rec league. When I originally first got my stick it was a left handed stick and it felt really awkward to stick handle, and to shoot with. Eventually I got used to it before I bought a right handed stick which feels a lot more natural to me. Now I have a dilemma in both sticks left and right feel comfortable to play with.

Right hand stick: I have a faster, harder, and more accurate shot. My stick handling isn't the greatest, and I do turn the puck over sometimes but not as often as some people on my team that have been playing since they were little.

Left hand stick: didn't feel natural from the start but I sort of forced it to feel comfortable. My shots aren't nearly as fast, or accurate. My stick handling is probably about the same maybe slightly better than that of my right hand.

So my question is what stick should I stick with? I've played with both during games and they both feel good, but obviously I don't want to be switching from right to left constantly.

Capshockey96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Terry Yake

sounds like you're much more comfortable shooting righty

i would do that

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Stud Muffin

Dominant hand on top

Stud Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
I'd say right since you are immediately comfortable with it.

06-20-2014, 12:36 AM
hockeyr5

vCash: 891
Go with right, you should go with what you're naturally comfortable with.

And I know some people have differences but generally it will be the same way you handle any two handed sport equipment. Example: golf club, baseball bat, etc. Just slide your hands or so it is has if you're holding a hockey stick.

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 06:05 AM
jazzykat

A lot of players put their dominant hand (usually the one you write with) on top and a lot of players (like me) don't.

I'm right handed so I grabbed a right handed stick and play. I can tell you that the more finely honed motor skills in your dominant hand will provide you an initial benefit but it felt weird so I just play righty.

I play defense so (if it's correct to do I have no idea) I can change hands easily and effectively when skating backwards to get more reach if I want it on my right side when one handing the stick.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Canadiens1958

Dominant Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
A lot of players put their dominant hand (usually the one you write with) on top and a lot of players (like me) don't.

I'm right handed so I grabbed a right handed stick and play. I can tell you that the more finely honed motor skills in your dominant hand will provide you an initial benefit but it felt weird so I just play righty.

I play defense so (if it's correct to do I have no idea) I can change hands easily and effectively when skating backwards to get more reach if I want it on my right side when one handing the stick.
Right handed but shoot left. Dominant hand on top. Advantage is in all one hand on the stick- top hand situations, with your dominant hand on top you will have better and stronger stick control.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:08 PM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Right handed but shoot left. Dominant hand on top. Advantage is in all one hand on the stick- top hand situations, with your dominant hand on top you will have better and stronger stick control.
I'm right handed and shoot right.

Agree with the listed advantage but have found personally that I could never get comfortable that way. I suspect the fact that my left eye is strongly dominant (has 20:13 vision as opposed to my right which is pretty average) or the fact that I had mild scoliosis as a kid (and am much more comfortable with the core rotation required by RH shooting position as opposed to LH). But who knows, maybe it's just because I'm a brutish American and played baseball before hockey (but I picked up a broomstick and played "hockey" with a crushed soda can at 6 yrs old and always felt more comfy RH).

Anyway, I find for myself that my shot power (which isn't much) and more importantly my shooting and passing accuracy, are far better shooting right. Shooting left, everything becomes unstable.

Last edited by McDugan: 06-20-2014 at 12:23 PM.
McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:43 AM
Onetimersniper28

To be honest, you don't need a lot of strength in your top hand, because stickhandling is not an activity that requires strength, but mostly precision and quickness. I'm RH and I shoot right, but I do just fine even when I only have my left hand on the stick.

However, you need to have a lot of strength in your bottom hand to flex a stick. I can bend a 100 flex stick with my right hand, but I can't bend anything over 75 flex with my left hand.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:57 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Dominant hand on top
I'd say the opposite actually, but this really isn't a question. If right handed felt more natural, that's what you should use

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post

I did the same thing except I'm a lefty. Well, my first experience with anything hockey-like was when my dad cut the bottom of a Christmas tree off, I thought it looked like a hockey puck so I put on my inline skates, grabbed a broom, and spent hours sweeping it around the driveway. I held the brook left-handed without thinking about it, and as a result I now shoot left in hockey.

OP, I'd stick with the right handed stick. If it feels more natural, it feels more natural. Stick with what feels good.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Capshockey96
Rookie User

Thanks for the info guys! I know I read that most Canadian players use lefty sticks, and most Americans use righty. I just wanted to make sure that what felt natural was the right way to to go!

Capshockey96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 04:08 PM
AcidJazz

Do you shovel with your left or right?
Do you sweep the floors left or right?

Also, I have some chores for you to do. :p

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

+1 to whatever feels natural.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 10:42 AM
rh71

I have twins - one felt natural as a lefty and in no way did I steer him. He seems to be doing everything in hockey (and baseball hitting) fine as a lefty (everything else outside is righty). I have always heard what's natural is what you should go with. I don't think I've ever seen anyone say they forced themself the opposite way.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 09:22 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
This seems strange to me. I'm right handed. I've been playing since I was about 7 and I've got my dominant hand on the bottom. I picked up a lefty stick once and I couldn't skate with stick, let alone control the puck. Always get the itch to reverse it. Righty stick feels really natural. I play several sports and I'm only left handed in two- fencing, and billiards (ambidextrous in tennis though).

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Devil Dancer

One advantage to using a left handed stick if you live in the US is you can get much better deals on clearance items, probably because most skaters shoot right. I don't know if the opposite is true in Canada...

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 08:34 AM
BraveCanadian

Right, obviously.

I did something similar to you when growing up. I started playing left because those were the sticks available. Then I switched to right and was more comfortable that way.

I'm right-handed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidJazz View Post
Do you shovel with your left or right?
Do you sweep the floors left or right?

Also, I have some chores for you to do. :p
Wax on, wax off?

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
try deciding based on your eye dominance.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/...-dominance.htm

Being left or right eye dominant is like left and right handedness, though the side of the dominant eye and the dominant hand do not always match. Right eye dominant people should take part in all shooting sports as right-handed participants, and vice versa.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 02:32 PM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

really wish my parents started me out as a lefty when i was a youngin

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 02:59 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Sounds to me like you should stick with righty

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
try deciding based on your eye dominance.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/...-dominance.htm

Being left or right eye dominant is like left and right handedness, though the side of the dominant eye and the dominant hand do not always match. Right eye dominant people should take part in all shooting sports as right-handed participants, and vice versa.
My strongest hand is my right, I'm left eye dominant, shoot right in hockey. There is no rule, just preference.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote