HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

When To Trade in Your Old Wheels?

Old
01-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Tacks92

vCash: 500
When To Trade in Your Old Wheels?

For the most part ... skates are the most expensive, and hopefully most durable piece of equipment we buy. They can last a while, but when's it time to hang em up, trade in the old wheels for a new set? I went 15 years between my last two pairs(Tack 252s to Supreme 100s) after the holder completely separated from the boot ... mid-game. Now I'm three or four years into the Supremes and wondering how long this pair will last.

How about other people? How long between sets? What prompted you to make a change?

Tacks92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2016, 06:43 PM
AIREAYE

I'm not a big guy, I don't play often, maybe 5-7 times a month and I take very good care of my skates. My first pair of quality skates (S15s) were notorious for having poor durability, yet they're still going strong to this day. They were my exclusive pair for about 3 years before I replaced them with my RBZs (yet another pair known for below average durability), which are now my mains for about the same mount of time and still in great condition. I am looking to get a new set simply because I can always get great deals on them and I'm a gearhead, but by no means do I need them.

There are many factors at play when deciding on when to replace. Aside from breaking down, also consider if the skates soften up too much, losing it's support and 'pop' if it's a stiffer model.

Another main factor for adult players would be when they eventually run out of blade to sharpen. The cost of a new set of steel is about $70, and after so many years, many players face that point and decide it's then better value getting new skates.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2016, 12:28 AM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

Pretty much everything is disposable these days; and I'm not just talking hockey equipment. When an appliance goes bust, often it's not much more expensive to buy a new one than to get it fixed.

I've just been through a pair of skates in 12 months, X100's. There's probably quite a lot of life left in them, but they're pretty worn around the inside of the top of the boot, as well as small holes worn through on the inside of the heel in both, about nickel to dime sized, plus the base plate is just starting to slightly separate from the boot. That said, none of it is noticeable except visually and they're still comfortable and great to skate in.

I've bought new skates and will keep the old ones as a back up pair. I expect to probably replace them too some time next year. Skating or playing around 5 times a week, or around ten hours.

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2016, 09:45 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

Usually it's the blade runner that snaps overtime.
it's cheaper than to buy a new pair.

i've used my bauer one 60s for six years (twice a week) so far and so good. got them for 200 bucks i remember.

15 years is amazing. i hope i can keep them for that long.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2016, 03:25 AM
ZachaAttackas
BAHNINGU LABU!

I'm still using my CCM Profile SLMs that I wore in HS...

For reference:

ZachaAttackas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2016, 05:06 PM
Fremitus Borealis

I've been thinking about this a fair bit recently; I'm pretty sure skates will be the next big piece of gear I replace. I still wear my old Bauer Comps that I bought like 12 or 13 years ago exclusively for the price-point (I remember them being like 40 or 50 bucks, ha). Now, there was a huuuuuuge hiatus in the middle there, basically like 9 or 10 years where I used them maybe like once a year to skate on a pond or something, so it's not like they actually have 13 years of abuse, BUT there have been a few times during games where I've wondered if they're actually holding me back a little. I am the fastest guy on my team, but I also feel like I lose my edges and fall a lot more than I should. They can also feel a bit "wobbly" sometimes when I'm gliding, which isn't something I remember from before. Thing is, there's still a ton of steel on the blade, and while I'm sure they were assembled in some dreary sweatshop in Bangladesh or wherever, they don't really have a lot of wear on the boot or anything, so it's a little difficult to rationalize blowing like $400 on an actual "good" pair, when these ones still work, you know?

Fremitus Borealis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2016, 05:49 PM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachaAttackas View Post
I'm still using my CCM Profile SLMs that I wore in HS...

For reference:

Those are awesome looking!

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2016, 05:00 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
Those are awesome looking!
I remember handling a few old pairs of those- the rink I worked in HS and college had a few as rentals. Heavy as bricks, IIRC. Upgrading might not be a bad idea.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2016, 12:40 AM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I remember handling a few old pairs of those- the rink I worked in HS and college had a few as rentals. Heavy as bricks, IIRC. Upgrading might not be a bad idea.
Maybe Jagr could train in a pair of those?

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote