HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Games III

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Anyone able to log on to the Diablo 3 beta? I've tried several times over the last day and keep getting a error that the servers are full.
There are multiple problems with Battle.net: low maximum user cap, constant errors, a bit laggy, downtime due to maintenance. I managed to finish the beta yesterday (played as Barb first, then as a hardcore Witch Doctor) and I have to say that I loved the game. If everything goes well it will have a terrific lifespan just as D2 & D1.

Old
04-22-2012, 05:01 AM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
anyone try Black Light Retribution? Gave up on World Of Tanks long ago, game is a chore...grind, grind, grind......

Wasteland 2 is sitting at $2,686,537 when you add in donations through PayPal. 36 hours to go, initial target was $900,000

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2
Haha, I have a few thousand battles in World of Tanks. They did change their model so grinding is a bit faster now at lower levels. Really fun -- nothing beats blowing Tigers to pieces.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
There are multiple problems with Battle.net: low maximum user cap, constant errors, a bit laggy, downtime due to maintenance. I managed to finish the beta yesterday (played as Barb first, then as a hardcore Witch Doctor) and I have to say that I loved the game. If everything goes well it will have a terrific lifespan just as D2 & D1.
I was finally able to log in for a while yesterday evening and while it was enjoyable, it didn't blow me away by any means. It has the nice Blizzard polish to it, but nothing about the gameplay really stood out to me. I'll probably pick it up when it hits $20 or so, but knowing Blizzard, that won't be for a long while.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
I was finally able to log in for a while yesterday evening and while it was enjoyable, it didn't blow me away by any means. It has the nice Blizzard polish to it, but nothing about the gameplay really stood out to me. I'll probably pick it up when it hits $20 or so, but knowing Blizzard, that won't be for a long while.
$20? This is no Torchlight

I actually would've found the Beta quite boring if not for a few things (and if you play D2 only up until the Countess, then it would be quite a boring experience as well). The way Blizz set up skill "trees" will probably enable much more builds than there ever were in D2. Auction House gives you an easy way to find the items you need (it's for the player to decide what to spend: in-game gold or $). Crafting is simply brilliant, that's a true successor to D2 gambling. And randomized side quests are back from D1 days, which means re-playing the game countless times will be much more fun.

On the other hand, the storyline was... dull. I think I grew out of all demons vs angels concepts.

Old
04-24-2012, 06:41 AM
amin723

that's good to hear about Diablo 3. Skill customization (which is my favorite aspect of these types of games) seems to be fantastic, but not too overwhelming. I'm really looking forward to it.

Old
04-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
$20? This is no Torchlight

I actually would've found the Beta quite boring if not for a few things (and if you play D2 only up until the Countess, then it would be quite a boring experience as well). The way Blizz set up skill "trees" will probably enable much more builds than there ever were in D2. Auction House gives you an easy way to find the items you need (it's for the player to decide what to spend: in-game gold or $). Crafting is simply brilliant, that's a true successor to D2 gambling. And randomized side quests are back from D1 days, which means re-playing the game countless times will be much more fun.

On the other hand, the storyline was... dull. I think I grew out of all demons vs angels concepts.
The last game I spent more than $10 on was Skyrim. I have enough other titles to keep me busy until the price drops. I acknowledged that it will likely be a while, but I'm fine with that. If I had more free time maybe I could justify the $50+ to get in on the ground floor, but that really isn't important to me.

Old
04-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
The last game I spent more than $10 on was Skyrim. I have enough other titles to keep me busy until the price drops. I acknowledged that it will likely be a while, but I'm fine with that. If I had more free time maybe I could justify the $50+ to get in on the ground floor, but that really isn't important to me.
Yeah, I understand you. Even though I don't have lots of spare time myself, I'm a long time Diablo series fan, and I just can't miss the new sequel.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Blizzard games won't be $10 for a long, long time. They won't end up on Steam or other services, but instead Battle.net for sale in digital or other format. It's certainly not going to be six months like it is with many other titles. It will be years.

I tried D3 out briefly over the weekend. Not sure. The originals were fantastic because they kept you playing long after you needed to go do whatever you had to go and do. Sort of a civilization-style 'one more turn...' vibe. It was wholly engaging. Then you looked up, bleary-eyed, and it was 4am.

I'm not sure that the gameplay quite measures up to that same lofty standard, but I didn't play for very long and didn't engage in any MP.

I did pick up a Razer BlackWidow mechanical keyboard this weekend. Man, it's nice.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Blizzard games won't be $10 for a long, long time. They won't end up on Steam or other services, but instead Battle.net for sale in digital or other format. It's certainly not going to be six months like it is with many other titles. It will be years.

I tried D3 out briefly over the weekend. Not sure. The originals were fantastic because they kept you playing long after you needed to go do whatever you had to go and do. Sort of a civilization-style 'one more turn...' vibe. It was wholly engaging. Then you looked up, bleary-eyed, and it was 4am.

I'm not sure that the gameplay quite measures up to that same lofty standard, but I didn't play for very long and didn't engage in any MP.

I did pick up a Razer BlackWidow mechanical keyboard this weekend. Man, it's nice.
I acknowledged that earlier. The beta didn't convince me that it was a must-have and I have enough other things competing for my money and time.

Old
04-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I hear that. I have a hard enough time finishing the games on my plate at the best of times, much less when there are any MMOs I'm playing. No idea where I'm going to fit these games in.

Old
04-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
I hear that. I have a hard enough time finishing the games on my plate at the best of times, much less when there are any MMOs I'm playing. No idea where I'm going to fit these games in.
Sigh. I haven't had time for any MMOs in about 5 years. I hope they're still being played when my kids go to college and my free time opens up a little.

Old
04-25-2012, 08:49 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Dunno...am I the only one thinking D3 is overhyped like Starcraft 2 was? I'll get it, but I'm not all that excited honestly....

Old
04-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I've thought about Starcraft 2 as well. I don't think the hype is unwarranted, in the sense that these games are following some of the most beloved games in memory. The interest is justifiable on those grounds, but the games themselves seem only OK. I'm not even sure if it's that the games themselves are missing something, compared to their predecessors, or merely that the baseline has moved and Blizzard has not kept up. They need to balance the need to preserve what made people love the games with where the industry is now, and what people expect from games today. Not always easy to follow up a GOAT contender. Blizzard has two of them there.

I liked Starcraft 2 but didn't love it or play it for nearly as long as I played Starcraft. I wouldn't be shocked if my experience with Diablo 3 were similar. They'll still end up with my money, though.

Old
04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

The root of the problem is as Blizzard has expanded, they've gone for more casual fans while their hardcore base (the same group who was there for Warcraft I, II and Diablo I and II) want them to cater to them. Obviously, the casual offers a larger reward. Most of the hardcore will do like I've done, and just grin and bear it and buy them anyhow.

I think a lot of it also has to do with the fact that there's a group who want more and expect more out of Blizzard. They take forever, and many feel that's not always warranted.

Old
04-25-2012, 09:58 AM
tycoonheart

After playing a crap load of D3 this weekend, the core of the game is the same as the core of D2. The game is just as fun. And there are a crap load of improvements. I'm glad they got rid of the skill tree to be quite honest. Its an antiquated system, especially since in D2 there was no respecs. The new system gives a lot of choices. I hope moving forward Blizzard does the same with their new MMO. I was thinking about not getting D3 after hearing all the *****ing, but this weekend has put all my fears to rest. Day 1 baby.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:18 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
I've thought about Starcraft 2 as well. I don't think the hype is unwarranted, in the sense that these games are following some of the most beloved games in memory. The interest is justifiable on those grounds, but the games themselves seem only OK. I'm not even sure if it's that the games themselves are missing something, compared to their predecessors, or merely that the baseline has moved and Blizzard has not kept up. They need to balance the need to preserve what made people love the games with where the industry is now, and what people expect from games today. Not always easy to follow up a GOAT contender. Blizzard has two of them there.

I liked Starcraft 2 but didn't love it or play it for nearly as long as I played Starcraft. I wouldn't be shocked if my experience with Diablo 3 were similar. They'll still end up with my money, though.
Yeah...agreed on the Starcraft 2 (and likely D3). I lost interest in SC2 sooner than any other game I've played in years.

I feel like Blizzard has been living off their past successes for too long. Starcraft 2 was nothing earthshattering. I expect more from Blizzard. Hopefully D3 doesn't disappoint like SC2 did for me....

And....by overhyped I mean it in the sense that it would never live up to the billing, not that it wasn't warranted, just that the game didn't deliver.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Oh, I pre-ordered before the beta. I'm definitely in. It's just not clear if I'm going to be waxing about this game in 10-15 years like I do the likes of Starcraft and Warcraft II and Diablo I and II. I'll buy it (I've bought it) and I'll play it. I'll buy and play all three Starcraft 2 games (still a joke that they did it this way). The degree to which I love them is still TBD.

Granted, I didn't play much... but the reason is that I played for a bit and then went right back to playing something else that had my attention. I never did that with Starcraft or Diablo II.

Some of it is a function of early-ish online RTS conventions that Blizzard was carving out of bare rock in that era. Now it's not really a pioneer, and it's making compromises to be everything to everyone. I think their games are high quality, and the polish is amazing, and they still balance better than anyone else. It's just impossible for games that are trying to capitalize on a massive fan base gained for a pioneering prior game in the series to innovate all that much. They aren't going to reinvent a genre the way that they used to do.

Blizzard, like everyone else, can't emerge from the mega success of World of Warcraft unscathed. It's changed not just the company, or a genre, but gaming forever. There was a time when no one knew you could make this much money making games. Blizzard used to be a company that took a long time to make a game, but every game was not just successful, but a special milestone in gaming. A landmark.

Old
04-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

The problem for a lot of it is the genre, as a group, has only so far that they can progress. RTS is only going so far. There aren't a lot of innovations that haven't been tried, and the ones that were innovative have trouble sticking.

Diablo, and it's ilk at least have a bit more of wiggle room to grow and progress.

That said, I still maintain Blizzard has gone the casual route with making games that pretty much everyone could like a bit instead of what some of the old school people have wanted.

Old
04-25-2012, 01:06 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Well, Blizzard's M.O. has always been to make games that satisfy the hardcore gamers, but are accessible to everyone, hence their always-low sysreqs.

I have faith. The game is a decade in the making, and so long as it's still more loot-based than anything else, it'll have huge replay value.

Old
04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Diablo loot system used to be damned near perfect, and made those games. If they have managed to mimic that properly, it will be a huge win. I didn't get far enough to really try that part out.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

It's actually very sad that SC2 doesn't live up to it's prequel. It's a very good game with a refreshing campaign design, balanced multiplayer, great matchmaking, tremendous map editor.

But it lacks or lacked quite a few things and of them I think 4 did hurt SC2 the most: no normal chat channels (or any at all at the release), no LAN support, no map marketplace at launch and a weak storyline. The absence of chat channels prevented people from socializing on B.net 2.0 or B.net 0.2 as old-time fans tend to call it (you know, when you spent hours upon hours not actually playing the game, but speaking with other people on B.net like in the days of SC1, D2, WC3). Omission of LAN also hindered the forming of the SC2 community. No map marketplace was a big upset for the map makers and it's mostly the reason why there are still so little decent custom maps and no decent custom campaigns (I still have faith that they will show up, true successors to Antioch Chronicles, Visions of the Future, Legacy of ConFed or WC3 Wanderers of Sorceria). And a weak story full of unnecessary retcons was just the nail in the coffin.

OK, I'm dramatizing, the game is not a complete failure and it still has a chance to become better.

Last edited by Helpoing: 04-25-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old
05-07-2012, 12:14 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Just killed Baal. 8 days earlier than I had planned. Guess I've gotta play through again on Nightmare.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:30 PM
hb11xchamps

What does everyone think about the new Black Opps 2 trailer. Personally I like the idea as long as they revamp the game in other ways (Graphics, Gameplay, Online play, Camping)

Old
05-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Cush
Winny!

Alan Wake + DLC for $15 at GOG

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/alan_wake

Old
05-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Secret World, a modern-day setting Illuminati/conspiracy-themed MMO that launches in June, is having its open beta this weekend. The beta executable is now available for download.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05...-beta-weekend/

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/b...smouth_calling

Closed Thread