HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Games III

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2012, 08:16 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
I can't believe there's a release date for D3. I'm more excited for this than I have been for anything in a good while. That's incredibly sad, but I'm comfortable with that.

Old
03-20-2012, 08:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, I already pre-ordered and downloaded the installation client. I'll be playing shortly after midnight on May 15.

The small joys we find in life.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Meh, I'm not excited with the beta. But that's me.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Haven't played the beta but I imagine its better than a Caps game. That's good enough for me.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
And thus the day when my social life dies has been decided.
This game is so overhyped, I have a feeling it's going to be like Starcraft 2 for me....

letdown....

I hope I'm wrong.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Just beat ME3.

10/10.

Thought the ending was great, don't know why people complained. Obviously it was less than stellar if you picked a certain option of had a subpar EMS (yes, it did matter)

I got the perfect ending, details below:

Spoil:

5000+ EMS
Almost Full Paragon
Chose to Destroy the Reapers

Reapers wiped out by Red shock wave, all humans and buildings survive.
Normandy crashes, all crew members survive.

Final shot shows Shepard in rubble, and then he takes a breath.

Credits (followed by the whole story thing, which i don't have any problem with.)

Old
03-24-2012, 08:57 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

The problem people have is that all 3 endings are basically the same (assuming you have the same EMS), and the Deus ex Machina aspects of it.

The problem I personally have with it is how it kind of throws away a rather interesting universe, and sort of nullifies some of the bigger accomplishments you make over the course of the series.

Still an amazing game though.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:13 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Meh, I'm not excited with the beta. But that's me.
I'm kind of with you man.

Huge D2 fan. Played for years. There was something off with the beta. The lack of stat points, lack of skill tree. I mean the art design seems to be missing the grittiness of the the first two games.

And apparently the game is shipping without PvP. No thanks.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
The problem people have is that all 3 endings are basically the same (assuming you have the same EMS), and the Deus ex Machina aspects of it.

The problem I personally have with it is how it kind of throws away a rather interesting universe, and sort of nullifies some of the bigger accomplishments you make over the course of the series.

And of course there are the plot holes, etc...and this. This isn't a joke Its the actual ending outline from Mac Walters. Kind of hard to read, but he mentions the end of the first Matrix movie, Brave New World and of course, Lots Of Speculation From Everyone (which has now become a meme of sorts)

Old
03-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:

Maybe not the best way to end the game, but i thought it was a good way to end the story.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:02 AM
yay

Re D3, I've been playing the beta pretty consistently for over a month now. I also really struggle with the lack of skill customization. But so far the fundamental reasons I always loved the Diablo games are winning out. Pure unadulterated hack and slash fun.

My biggest issue is that, like SC2, its online only, and thus subject to lag from high play times, server issues and updates, etc. Have never played D2 online, never had any desire to. Don't care 2 licks about balance or PVP.

Note, despite the lack of skill customization there are still lots of variation in play style within each class.

Yes, I'm the guy who took off May 15 from work.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Integral

Quote:
The problem people have is that all 3 endings are basically the same (assuming you have the same EMS), and the Deus ex Machina aspects of it
Well along with that, the ending doesn't fit thematically and it disregards all the choices you made over the last three games. Also the plot doesn't really make sense:

Spoil:
Synthetics kill organics every 50,000 years to prevent synthetics from killing organics? What? Someone posted an alternate version where 'the Catalyst' theorized that an all-out war between organics and synthetics would completely destroy the galaxy so the reapers stop organics from progressing to that point. I think it works a little better.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:31 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integral View Post
Well along with that, the ending doesn't fit thematically and it disregards all the choices you made over the last three games. Also the plot doesn't really make sense:

Spoil:
Synthetics kill organics every 50,000 years to prevent synthetics from killing organics? What? Someone posted an alternate version where 'the Catalyst' theorized that an all-out war between organics and synthetics would completely destroy the galaxy so the reapers stop organics from progressing to that point. I think it works a little better.
That part of the plot is fine:

Spoil:
The Reapers don't have to be very flexible in their character. If they were originally programmed to wipe out any civilizations that come close to the singularity point while leaving others undisturbed, that's a perfectly logical (if inflexible) position for them to maintain. War wouldn't really make sense, because that's not what's scary about a post-singularity synthetic. What's scary about a post-singularity synthetic is that it could easily decide to use every resource in the universe trying to prove P=NP or something.

My biggest problem, and it'll sound minor but I think it's the easiest thing they could have changed, is:

Spoil:
That the Mass Relays get destroyed no matter what. The Geth/Quarian conflict really doesn't matter if most of them are stuck on Earth no matter what. The Genophage really doesn't matter if most of the Krogan are doomed to remain in the DMZ for the rest of their lives. All of the most important secondary plot points, things that felt huge when you went through them, suddenly become all but meaningless no matter what choice you make.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Since i finished 3 yesterday, picking up my ME1 playthrough again. Gonna try and do all uncharted world missions, but... we'll see.

At first they're pretty difficult, but i've got some really good armor and weapons and it's pretty much a cakewalk.

Rolling with a Paragon Vanguard.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Cush
-inator

how are you guys doing the little boxes for spoilers?

Old
03-25-2012, 06:50 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
how are you guys doing the little boxes for spoilers?
"spoil" (same as with "quote" or "img" etc.)

Old
03-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Integral

Quote:
That part of the plot is fine:
It's not so much that the Reapers don't make sense, it's that the reason for originally creating them didn't make sense. They could have definitely come up with a more logical reason.

Quote:
Spoil:
That the Mass Relays get destroyed no matter what. The Geth/Quarian conflict really doesn't matter if most of them are stuck on Earth no matter what. The Genophage really doesn't matter if most of the Krogan are doomed to remain in the DMZ for the rest of their lives. All of the most important secondary plot points, things that felt huge when you went through them, suddenly become all but meaningless no matter what choice you make.
Yeah I didn't really understand the reason for even putting that in the story considering that:
Spoil:
A handful of Prothean scientists were able to reverse-engineer the mass relay technology, as seen with the Conduit in the first game. I figure that several million of the best minds in the galaxy should be able to do it as well. I guess that brings up another problem, there's no epilogue to speak of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
picking up my ME1 playthrough again. Gonna try and do all uncharted world missions, but... we'll see.
Gonna warn you in advance: the optional uncharted world missions in ME1 were pretty tedious. Most of them were "drive Mako to facility, kill everything". It probably doesn't help that every single facility is one of two designs.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:15 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
It's not so much that the Reapers don't make sense, it's that the reason for originally creating them didn't make sense. They could have definitely come up with a more logical reason.
The original reason for making them made decent sense. It's too inflexible to be satisfying but in terms of trying to prevent the ultimate, let's say, doom they seem to be a pretty efficient solution. Given the nature of the threat they're trying to prevent, it's actually pretty elegant. In fact I'd argue that the reason given for their existence is one of the few that makes sense given the brute force nature of their methods.

Spoil:
Keep in mind that they can't be made too intelligent, with too much free will or any deep philosophical thinking, or else they'd eventually decide to pursue their own goals and become the very thing they're trying to prevent. They had to be made with simple orders and strict restrictions, which seems to be what they have. The basic premise may be faulty, assuming that things will always turn out the same way, but it is kind of a technological inevitability probably. It's a harsh but elegant way to prolong the life of, well, life in the universe.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
"spoil" (same as with "quote" or "img" etc.)
thanks, I was trying "spoiler" or "hide". Did track down a copy of the Collectors Edition for the PC, going to wait a while before playing.

One thing I still don't understand is why they felt it was necessary to put Jessica Chobot in the game. Should have been Emily Wong. You get an email from her in ME 2, but that's the last you hear from her.

Spoil:
Unfortunately, it appears she didn't survive as she and her crew did a Kamikaze run at a Reaper.......

http://twitter.com/#!/alliancenewsnet

AllianceNewsNetwork ‏ @AllianceNewsNet
You want to see how a human dies? At ramming speed. #solcomms

AllianceNewsNetwork ‏ @AllianceNewsNet
<SIGNAL LOSS.> #solcomms

Old
03-25-2012, 07:44 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
thanks, I was trying "spoiler" or "hide". Did track down a copy of the Collectors Edition for the PC, going to wait a while before playing.

One thing I still don't understand is why they felt it was necessary to put Jessica Chobot in the game. Should have been Emily Wong. You get an email from her in ME 2, but that's it
Apparently they killed her off via a twitter feed before release. No idea why they decided to do that, but whatever, pretty low-impact decision.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:

Gonna warn you in advance: the optional uncharted world missions in ME1 were pretty tedious. Most of them were "drive Mako to facility, kill everything". It probably doesn't help that every single facility is one of two designs.

Oh i know, I started my 2nd playthrough about a week before ME3 and after today i've finished Feros/Noveria/Liara and over 2/3 of the Uncharted Side Missions. In my first runthrough i didnt do any side missions, and i really wish i had. Makes the game so much more enjoyable, and adds to the "theme" of the game.

I've been loving the uncharted worlds, more than i expected. The exploring is actually pretty fun, and really gives me the "exploring space, new worlds, new boundaries" sort of thing the first game gives me, which i love. Especially with the song "Vigil" from the main menu... ahh I love this game, lol.

At first they were a pain in the ***... almost all of them are in the same type of setting, either a tunnel or a station on the planet with the same interiors...
But when i did the "UNC: Cerberus" side mission, i got a ton of good loot.
Assault Rifle with 300 Damage (highest), good accuracy, and takes a while before it overheats. My armor which has full shields, and my shotgun which is a One-hit KO on anybody.

Now the combat is a lot easier, and combined with the exploring im having a lot of fun with the Uncharted side missions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post

One thing I still don't understand is why they felt it was necessary to put Jessica Chobot in the game. Should have been Emily Wong. You get an email from her in ME 2, but that's the last you hear from her.

Yeah i was following that on Twitter, was some good stuff.
I really dislike Allers, or Chobot... i don't see the point of her being in the game... i mean she's not overly annoying but........ there's no outcomes or reasoning behind doing interviews with her.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Integral

Quote:
I've been loving the uncharted worlds, more than i expected. The exploring is actually pretty fun, and really gives me the "exploring space, new worlds, new boundaries" sort of thing the first game gives me, which i love. Especially with the song "Vigil" from the main menu... ahh I love this game, lol.
It definitely does feel like you're exploring uncharted worlds compared to later games. Especially when you encounter something bizarre and there's no explanation, it's just there (like the space cows) and you have to figure out your own conclusions. Not to mention that the set pieces can be pretty cool (like the two planets that share the same atmosphere).

The worst one is UNC: Geth Incursions, so if you get past that the rest of them won't feel nearly as bad.

Quote:
Assault Rifle with 300 Damage (highest), good accuracy, and takes a while before it overheats. My armor which has full shields, and my shotgun which is a One-hit KO on anybody.
I thought that the Spectre assault rifle had the highest damage?

Old
03-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
It definitely does feel like you're exploring uncharted worlds compared to later games. Especially when you encounter something bizarre and there's no explanation, it's just there (like the space cows) and you have to figure out your own conclusions. Not to mention that the set pieces can be pretty cool (like the two planets that share the same atmosphere).

The worst one is UNC: Geth Incursions, so if you get past that the rest of them won't feel nearly as bad.
Ha, that's the one im doing right now. (er well, when i stopped a few hours ago)
I wasn't expecting the dropship and so many shock troopers... got taken out in like 2 minutes.

Quote:

I thought that the Spectre assault rifle had the highest damage?

You're probably right, but the bar is full for damage on the one im currently using.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Cush
-inator

Wing Commander Saga has been released: http://www.wcsaga.com/

best of all, it's free

Quote:
Q: What is Wing Commander?

A: The computer game which supplies the background world in which Wing Commander Saga is set is the all-time bestseller. We believe that familiarity with either one of the games or one of the novels will intensify enjoyment of the game.

Q: Who is the enemy in Wing Commander Saga?

A: In Saga, like most other WC games you will fight the Kilrathi, an alien race feline in appearence and deadly in combat.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

I've now finished all the side missions except Geth Incursions, and the ones where you have to collect a bunch of things. Debating whether or not to do either of them...

Closed Thread