HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils vs. Senators - Part II

Old
12-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Fraser played well for a dude who doesn't play often, really well for that actually.
That ass whopping on Konopka was ****ing impressive. I don't think Konopka saw that coming, actually I know he didn't, if he did he wouldn't have been so bloody afterward

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:59 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
ugh. Tedenby caused that second goal. I knew I told myself I'd just stick to off topic stuff, but c'mon. really.

yes, the first goal was idiotic because there were a million Devils on the right and he went left where there was only one.

there is opinion and there is fact and you confuse the two early and often
Do you honestly believe that Brodeur gives this team a better chance to win than Hedberg? That's a serious question.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Well to be fair Boston wasn't exactly beasts on the PP last year in the playoffs either.
No they weren't, but they had a stud goalie on a hot streak and didn't give up shorties left and right.

We have a major confidence problem with the man advantage and even four on four.

In the last few games we've given up I think 3 short handed goals, one of them being down 4 on 3 which pee wees dont do....and one on 4 on 4 almost immediately as the 4 v 4 started.

Guys seem to panic when they find themselves all by their lonesome with the puck and lots of ice - I don't get it.

Old
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Do you honestly believe that Brodeur gives this team a better chance to win than Hedberg? That's a serious question.
I honestly don't think it matters.

If Hedberg would promise to never play the puck, I might roll with him permanently, though

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

We didn't give up any shorthanders against the Wild, but I do remember at least 2 times that Hedberg had to stop them, and maybe one other time where the play was poked away or broken up somehow.

There were 2 other chances tonight. At least one chance in Toronto from what I saw. There were like 2 other chances in Winnipeg aside from the one they did give up.

This shouldn't be happening. Deboer said there aren't any ''drills'' they could do to stop shorthanded goals.

They need to try harder next game. It seems though they have to be losing. It seems that they have to be losing to play a good 3rd period. If they are tied or ahead forget about it. The 3rd period in Minnesota was pretty good, and the 3rd period tonight was pretty good, and the 3rd against the game we won against the Islanders was good.

Not sure about Toronto. We didn't give up anymore goals after the one we gave up 2 minutes into the 3rd period. Dating back to the first game where we lost to the Capitals the 3rd periods have been bad minus a few exceptions. Even the games we won we had bad 3rd periods.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:02 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
I honestly don't think it matters.

If Hedberg would promise to never play the puck, I might roll with him permanently, though
Hedberg scares me when he plays the puck, but that's pretty much the only facet of goaltending where Brodeur is the better player, at this point.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:
I forget what game it was, but it was about a week and a half ago - maybe the last win before that 4 game skid - but Marty stood on his head all night. Made some insane saves, and more importantly handled the puck like a 3rd Dman like he used too.

I'm confident he'll boucne back - he's had some rough starts the past few seasons, and has been banged up a bit each year.

Moose has the hot hand right now though, no doubt about it, but I think Marty has a bit more in the tank than you think. As long as Moose can come in when we need him like he did tonight, I'm confident no matter what.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:04 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
What does it matter, no matter what I say will convince you. You've turned an opinion of yours into fact. You don't mention yet another glove whiff or the awful rebounds at the end of the game.

Goaltending was not particularly strong either way.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:05 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
I forget what game it was, but it was about a week and a half ago - maybe the last win before that 4 game skid - but Marty stood on his head all night. Made some insane saves, and more importantly handled the puck like a 3rd Dman like he used too.

I'm confident he'll boucne back - he's had some rough starts the past few seasons, and has been banged up a bit each year.

Moose has the hot hand right now though, no doubt about it, but I think Marty has a bit more in the tank than you think. As long as Moose can come in when we need him like he did tonight, I'm confident no matter what.
Marty has played well at times this season, no doubt. Some games, he's far better than his save percentage and GAA suggests. That being said, there have been more instances where I've been upset with Marty than proud of him this season.

It has gotten to the point where the games where he plays well are becoming the outliers.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:08 AM
CerebralGenesis

I think Marty will bounce back too but I would definitely ride the hand goalie right now. Look what Vancouver did. Do that.

But it won't happen and Marty will be in Saturday and Monday barring another pulling.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:08 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
What does it matter, no matter what I say will convince you. You've turned an opinion of yours into fact. You don't mention yet another glove whiff or the awful rebounds at the end of the game.

Goaltending was not particularly strong either way.
And no matter what I say will convince you. We're 30 games into the season, Brodeur's GAA is above 3.25 and his save percentage is hovering around .880, and you think he's a quality goaltender.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
I like your style sir

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Holy crap. I just woke up and found out about this come back. Wow.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:17 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
And no matter what I say will convince you. We're 30 games into the season, Brodeur's GAA is above 3.25 and his save percentage is hovering around .880, and you think he's a quality goaltender.
Some of us watch the games and realize that most of the goals Marty is letting in aren't his fault. Case in point, the tons of breakaways and defensive meltdowns.

Please tell me one save Hedberg made tonight that Marty wouldn't have.. because I don't think Hedberg was even tested more than once tonight and the result (other than changing goaltenders in an attempt to fire up the team) would have been the same, if not better, had Marty stayed in the game. Heck, Hedberg was made a fool of in the shootout...

Marty hasn't been amazing and Hedberg may be a little more consistent at this point.. but the gap between them isn't really as large as the statistics page on NHL.com depicts it to be.

I'd play Marty just as much as I'd play Hedberg and ride the hot horse, whoever that may be, throughout the season... but to say Marty isn't a "quality goaltender" anymore is completely absurd. Average, fine.. but not "quality"?

Seems like Marty's 15+ years of stellar play has you holding him to higher than normal standards. That's a shame.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:27 AM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
That game was absurd on so many levels.
Perfect description.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:30 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Some of us watch the games and realize that most of the goals Marty is letting in aren't his fault. Case in point, the tons of breakaways and defensive meltdowns.

Please tell me one save Hedberg made tonight that Marty wouldn't have.. because I don't think Hedberg was even tested more than once tonight and the result (other than changing goaltenders in an attempt to fire up the team) would have been the same, if not better, had Marty stayed in the game. Heck, Hedberg was made a fool of in the shootout...

Marty hasn't been amazing and Hedberg may be a little more consistent at this point.. but the gap between them isn't really as large as the statistics page on NHL.com depicts it to be.

I'd play Marty just as much as I'd play Hedberg and ride the hot horse, whoever that may be, throughout the season... but to say Marty isn't a "quality goaltender" anymore is completely absurd. Average, fine.. but not "quality"?

Seems like Marty's 15+ years of stellar play has you holding him to higher than normal standards. That's a shame.
Don't bring Marty's 15+ years into this, please. I love what this guy did for this franchise and I'll proudly say I'll cry when his jersey gets retired. It has nothing to do with this. Honestly, the 15+ years is the only reason he's getting support for his play.

And honestly, I don't think the "what saves did Hedberg make that Marty couldn't" is a fair question. Brodeur SHOULD make all of the saves Hedberg made. He SHOULD. But there have been about 15 times he SHOULD have made the save, and he didn't.

I'll admit, some of the goals this season have been the fault of his teammates. But I'm curious as to why they happen SO many more times to Brodeur than Hedberg. And it's been this way for two seasons. Whether the team relaxes when Brodeur's in net, Brodeur not having it anymore, or it just being luck, better things happen to the Devils when Hedberg is in net. That my friend, is indisputable, as evident by the statistics.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:31 AM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Marty will play Saturday. It's Montreal isn't it? If it was any other team though I'd go with Hedberg.

I Hate Tie DOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Toquitoes
Devils.

Don't care if it was a "deserved win" (that statement is flawed within itself) or not - this was the most exciting regular season game I've ever been to. Easy.

Toquitoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I think Marty is done after this season. If he has a horrible season I can see him leaving cause he's had enough.

If he has a good season I can see him leaving, and retiring on top.

He looked pretty distraught on the bench I kinda felt bad for him.

He got 45 wins just 2 seasons ago which is actually near the record for most wins in a season. I forget what is, but it's up there. I think it's in a two way tie for third place. Pretty impressive at the age of 37, and with probably the crappiest Defence he's had to play for. He holds the record for regular season wins at 48 for the 06/07 season. He's played his best, and recorded his most wins later on in his career when he was behind a mediocre Defence.

Also a five way tie for fourth most in a season with 44 wins in 2007/2008 his first season with a particularly mediocre Defence. Back in the day when we had Stevens, Niedermayer, Daneyko, Rafalski, Colin White, and a few assorted other D men there he didn't see the puck as much as he did after Stevens, Nieds, and Daneyko retired, and Rafalski left.

I don't think he sucks. He's stopped some really big wins. Against Columbus, and the Isles when we lost he played real good. He must have played good the other night, but I didn't watch.

He did have some bad games against Toronto in their first game last month, and one pretty bad one against the Caps. He made the best save of the month against Toronto when we lost though. His game against the Wild was bad, and even he acknowledged it. Though it was the rest of the teams fault for allowing all the turnovers, and sloppy play early in the game. 2 of those goals shouldn't have even made it to him. Colorado he played bad, but he wasn't the difference the whole team sucked.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Jersey Fan View Post
I dont think marty was pulled beacause of his play. More of wake up team you are playing a hockey game. Team was flat and had no jump sometimes you pull the goalie just to wake them up without freaking out on the team. Makes the players feel bad for not performing in front of marty.
Coach said as much.

Pete also supposedly lost his marbles during the first intermission and hollered like a madman at the team, and they seemed to respond.

Pushing the right buttons.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Oh man, what happened to Volch?

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Devilswede

Another SO win... Le sigh. They're going to hurt us eventually, especially now when they don't count as real wins anymore.

A comeback isn't really a comeback when it's spoiled at the end like that. It was actually Ottawa comin back and stealing a point. Hate going to OT like that.

I don't like Deboer as coach at all. He might've made our PK great, but everything else is a mess. I'd trade a great PK for solid team game anytime.

Devilswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:39 AM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagPariseee View Post
any other good word Steve made up tonight was when henrique was driving the net Steve yelled "Henrique dipsy doodles!!!"

Old
12-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Also pretty sure Marty, along with Nick Lidstrom, Teemu Selanne, and Jagr are the only guys still playing who played when I was still in high school. With the retirement of Mark Recchi, and Mike Modano last year they started playing when I was in like 8th grade maybe even 7th.

Just a few years ago Kris Draper, Bill Guerin, both Niedermayers, Rod Brind'amour, as well as Marty, Modano, Recchi, and Selanne, and Lidstrom were still playing from when I was in high school or younger. Bobby Holik, and Brendan Shanahan too. Only a couple years ago. I'm sure a few others I've forgotten too. Rob Blake too. I know Rob Niedermayer still plays overseas.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:48 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Marty is better, right now.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote