HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All(Star) Purpose Cody Hodgson Thread (part 1?)

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2011, 10:57 PM
opendoor

vCash: 500
Not sure where this "Hodgson is a liability 4 on 4" is coming from. He scored 4 on 4 tonight, was on the ice for a 4 on 4 goal last game, and was on the ice for the 4 on 4 OT winner vs. Ottawa as well. Given that the Canucks have only scored three 4 on 4 goals all season, I'd say that's pretty impressive.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:58 PM
thenextone

I dont know why but I am so impressed that a Canuck 1st round pick actually plays like he has star potential

For so long we've drafted complete garbage in the first round or took players that needed YEARS to mature into NHLers. Hodgson is the real deal.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:03 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Not sure where this "Hodgson is a liability 4 on 4" is coming from. He scored 4 on 4 tonight, was on the ice for a 4 on 4 goal last game, and was on the ice for the 4 on 4 OT winner vs. Ottawa as well. Given that the Canucks have only scored three 4 on 4 goals all season, I'd say that's pretty impressive.
See my post above. It's a lot different for a rookie in OT and down 3-1 4v4's. Today's game was wide-open north-south unlike the Sens OT.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:32 PM
kanuck87

The only forwards that played less than Hodgson tonight was Alberts, Weise and Sweatt. Everyone else had more ice-time. I don't see a problem here. Hodgson has been good, but he's not a world-beater or anything. Sure, he could use some more ice-time, but at who's expense?

Old
12-09-2011, 12:14 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
AV, as he has done with countless other players, is fostering Cody's development beautifully.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:26 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Again, Hodgson has been very dangerous 4-on-4 this season. He scored at 4-on-4 in the third period of tonight's game, did he not?
People have moved from slow to crappy defensively.

Just let them continue to move on to new flaws.

Eventually they move on to the really silly stuff. Like the Sedin's not being that good because they cycle instead of scoring off the rush more.

Thats when you know Hodgson is a great player.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

I'm glad he's played so well despite everyone doubting him. He's got all the tools to be a premier player one day.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:36 AM
serge2k

I just noticed

Oct - 8GP 2G 1A -1
Nov - 13GP 2G 6A +3
Dec - 4GP 1G 3A +2

Since november started he's on pace for 58 points.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:37 AM
The Big Foot

Looks pretty realistic at this point that he could end up with around 20 G, 50 Pts. With that in mind I'm happy with him playing the amount he has so far. He's progressing well.

The fact is he is getting his share of shifts, but he's taking shorter shifts than anyone else. That's the facts. So shouldn't the thread title be changed to "The Let Cody Take Longer Shifts Thread"? Cause right now it implies that he is being stapled to the end of the bench.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

I dislike AV very much, but I agree with his approach on Hodgson, you got to ease our rookies with less responsibility in the beginning, then adding more when the time is right.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:01 AM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
I dislike AV very much, but I agree with his approach on Hodgson, you got to ease our rookies with less responsibility in the beginning, then adding more when the time is right.
Exactly. This isn't the Oilers or the Senators. We have the luxury to ease our prospects into the fold, which over the long run is nearly always the better approach.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:07 AM
westvandal

I would just like to take issue with the op on "stone hands" Hansen. With his current hot streak he's beaten goalies CLEAN on his obviously improved shooting. Watch the games!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
12-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
People have moved from slow to crappy defensively.

Just let them continue to move on to new flaws.

Eventually they move on to the really silly stuff. Like the Sedin's not being that good because they cycle instead of scoring off the rush more.

Thats when you know Hodgson is a great player.
Strawman-ing people like that is pretty dickish. don't be that guy.

No one here is insisting Cody is a bad player. I'm personally really excited for the sort of player Cody is going to become and I don't see any reason to rush him.

That said, he is a rookie on a team deep with vets. he's not the teams best defensive player and he's certainly not their best offensive player.

I really do think AV is putting him in the best place to succeed, and his patience will pay off.

(And comparing to the Sedins is wrong. They took years to develop. Cody is well ahead of where they were at the same age, and I would partially attribute patience AV for that)

Old
12-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

We are developing him exactly like Philly developed Claude Giroux. Calm and patience...he'll be special for sure.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:27 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Strawman-ing people like that is pretty dickish. don't be that guy.

No one here is insisting Cody is a bad player. I'm personally really excited for the sort of player Cody is going to become and I don't see any reason to rush him.

That said, he is a rookie on a team deep with vets. he's not the teams best defensive player and he's certainly not their best offensive player.

I really do think AV is putting him in the best place to succeed, and his patience will pay off.

(And comparing to the Sedins is wrong. They took years to develop. Cody is well ahead of where they were at the same age, and I would partially attribute patience AV for that)
No, people aren't insisting he's a bad player.

But on HF their is a tendancy for fans to pick something and complain about it until it goes away and then move to something else.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

I've been a Huge fan of Cody ever since he got drafted and I was an even Bigger fan when he led the WJC in scoring that one year.. And I must say it took long enough. Countless injuries, numerous call-ups/send downs, depth chart issues and skating problems and finally, Cody is showing his true potential as a 10th Overall pick. I do believe that he should play more minutes, put him on a line with Raymond and Hansen, that line would be impossible to catch up to, plus you add Cody's vision and playmaking ability, and you've got a killer 3rd line. OR you move Cody up to the 2nd line with Kesler and Higgins and see what he can do with the big dogs. I wouldn't even mind seeing him play a few shift with the twins. Either way i'm so happy Cody is breaking out as a regular player on the Canucks.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
I dont know why but I am so impressed that a Canuck 1st round pick actually plays like he has star potential

For so long we've drafted complete garbage in the first round or took players that needed YEARS to mature into NHLers. Hodgson is the real deal.
thats because all of our good first round picks have been "the safe choice" in the 20-30 range. every time our organization went for broke - aside from the sedins - they ****ed it up royally

hodgson was a rare top 10 pick that this organization just hasn't had for ages and they still went with the work ethic, smarts, leadership pick over the raw talent pick - they just did a really good job of it

hodgson seems to really benefit from having short, focused shifts, and that's exactly what AV is doing with him. his excellent production/minute of ice time is indicative of that.

if you just straight up doubled his ice time, he wouldn't become a ppg player, so what we're really doing is using his talent at a maximum efficiency

Old
12-09-2011, 01:49 AM
DL44

vCash: 133
guys... please look at the context of his ice time game please...
(I see some have mentioned it already)...

His ice tonight was a vicitim of circumstance... not cuz AV 'hates' him like heard on the post gm show...

Think about it...
Alberts had to be limited... Sweatt had to limited... and Weise had to be limited... in their icetime....

those guy however span different lines, so the shuffle was on...
Thing is, Manny is our best faceoff guy who needed to trot out there for our defensive zone faceoffs.. Hodgson ended up sitting for the beginning of many of his shifts... by necessity. While Manny took the faceoffs...
Manny would shuffle off as Hodgson jumped on, but obviously he wasn't skating full shift as a result.

Same thing in OT... The Sedins were fricken runnin a clinc out there! then you had kesler, Raymond and burrows to follow up...

Manny-Hansen were sent out because, again... it was a defensive zone faceoff... it is definitely necessary to get Manny out there for those... and he's more than capable to continue that role in an OT....
Hodgson was a victim of Sedins putting on a clinic and then the depth, and then the fact that when he woulda been out there, it happened to be a defensive zone faceoff.

Guys.. look no further than his season average of ice time... and most importantly - the number of shifts he had in this game.. 19. Like i eluded to earlier, his shufts were cut short because of Manny taking his faceoffs....

NOTHING to worry about.. Hodgson will get his due... but the coach has a a critical job to do here, and needs to do all the little things to win the game...

Old
12-09-2011, 02:20 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Man, this guy is gunna be a great player. Makes me feel foolish everyone calling him a bust stressing me out over the years...I was sure management would botch the back debacle of '09 and alienate him from the squad. But seeing this progress is extremely encouraging.

I wouldn't say Cody exactly forced AV to put him on the roster this season, but AV definitely saw something in him. I was somewhat skeptical when Botchford thought Cody was done with the AHL...save for conditioning stints *fingers crossed* I think he is now. The fact that we only have him count as 1.6 million against the cap for the next two years after this is gravy.

Old
12-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
I don't see what the issue is, if Hodgson continues the scoring pace he is on since November started AV won't have much a choice even when we have this Top-9,

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Burrows
Higgins/Raymond - Kesler - Booth/Hansen
Raymond/Higgins - Hodgson - Hansen/Booth

Once we have all of these players available AV could find himself with three strong lines and the ability to adjust the icetime depending on which line is going. Even if only to develop, playing Hodgson as at centre seems like the best option even if he's getting less icetime on the third line. Once we have a healthy lineup I this Top-9 is going to be disgusting.

Old
12-09-2011, 03:34 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

I'm just happy he's on the right track at last

Old
12-09-2011, 05:56 AM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
He's not a liability, I was just stating why he may have been benched. But it's a matter of who would you rather put on? A defensive veteran? Or a rookie who is good but is still a rookie? in a 4v4 OT.

The Sedins are different, because more often than not they control the 4v4 play that they don't need to play defensively.
I put out the one that gives me the best chance to win. Right now, in the defensive zone that is Manny, any where else I pick Hodgson. Veteran or rookie makes no difference to me, it is who benefits my team the most at the time.

Old
12-09-2011, 06:14 AM
B-rock

What the hell, has AV not developed enough solid NHLers for people to give him some credit in these situations? Or does every armchair coach think they know better?

Hansen is turning into a fantastic player, Raymond is now a great 2 way player thanks to AV showing him the defensive side of the game, Edler is now a top pairing d man. You just don't get top minutes as a raw rookie on a cup contending team.

As others have mentioned he was playing with an AHLer and Lapierre tonight. Not exactly the offensive dynamos that were going to get the Canucks back in the game.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
What the hell, has AV not developed enough solid NHLers for people to give him some credit in these situations? Or does every armchair coach think they know better?

Hansen is turning into a fantastic player, Raymond is now a great 2 way player thanks to AV showing him the defensive side of the game, Edler is now a top pairing d man. You just don't get top minutes as a raw rookie on a cup contending team.

As others have mentioned he was playing with an AHLer and Lapierre tonight. Not exactly the offensive dynamos that were going to get the Canucks back in the game.
actually, there are maybe two people with those terrible opinions and what seems to be a dozen people telling them why they are horribly wrong. for the most part i think people here are happy with how hodgson has been treated

Old
12-09-2011, 08:23 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
No, people aren't insisting he's a bad player.

But on HF their is a tendancy for fans to pick something and complain about it until it goes away and then move to something else.
Know what else this site has... the ability to quote a poster. So how about quoting these people who are insisting he is a bad player.

Closed Thread