HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All(Star) Purpose Cody Hodgson Thread (part 1?)

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2011, 09:25 AM
GoTeamDom

vCash: 500
with the game on the line, you shorten the bench. I don't see what the issue is.

Old
12-09-2011, 09:38 AM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
guys... please look at the context of his ice time game please...
(I see some have mentioned it already)...

His ice tonight was a vicitim of circumstance... not cuz AV 'hates' him like heard on the post gm show...

Think about it...
Alberts had to be limited... Sweatt had to limited... and Weise had to be limited... in their icetime....

those guy however span different lines, so the shuffle was on...
Thing is, Manny is our best faceoff guy who needed to trot out there for our defensive zone faceoffs.. Hodgson ended up sitting for the beginning of many of his shifts... by necessity. While Manny took the faceoffs...
Manny would shuffle off as Hodgson jumped on, but obviously he wasn't skating full shift as a result.

Same thing in OT... The Sedins were fricken runnin a clinc out there! then you had kesler, Raymond and burrows to follow up...

Manny-Hansen were sent out because, again... it was a defensive zone faceoff... it is definitely necessary to get Manny out there for those... and he's more than capable to continue that role in an OT....
Hodgson was a victim of Sedins putting on a clinic and then the depth, and then the fact that when he woulda been out there, it happened to be a defensive zone faceoff.

Guys.. look no further than his season average of ice time... and most importantly - the number of shifts he had in this game.. 19. Like i eluded to earlier, his shufts were cut short because of Manny taking his faceoffs....

NOTHING to worry about.. Hodgson will get his due... but the coach has a a critical job to do here, and needs to do all the little things to win the game...
I find it funny that people get upset at AV for not coaching and when he does coach they also get upset (quite obvious in road game when he's looking to minimize the oppositions last change). He's using Hodgson at times that Hodgson and the team can succeed. Nothing wrong with that. If this was many other team in the league Hodgson would be getting a lot of more ice time due to lack of depth. That isn't necessarily a good thing.

I'm happy to see you put out that the other reason Hodgson may not have been used in OT. The canucks dominated the first few shifts so AV just kept on going back to those initial combos (again coaching). If the first few shifts do very little there is a good chance you see Hodgson take the ice. And in the end AV did reward the kid with the first SO attempt.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
IComeInPeace

AV has put Cody in a great position to succeed and grow as a player.
Cody's confidence as an NHL'er is at an all time high. He's producing and a bug part of the reason why the team is being successful right now.
Young players need to be handled different than veterans. Cody is being taught to place emphasis on the little details...the things that will make a huge difference come playoff time.
For a young kid you can learn an awful lot by watching, especially when you have guys like Henrik and Kesler to learn from.
AV is doing a great job with the kid.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:58 AM
The Big Foot

Does anyone know what the bonuses in his contract are? And how does that work with counting against the cap, ie if there are bonuses that become impossible to reach at some point in the season, does that salary value open up on our cap?

Also, are there any bonuses that won't apply next season? For example, Calder Trophy, or all rookie team.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:17 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

He didn't play in OT last night because when the Sedins and Kesler finished their shifts, we had a defensive zone faceoff on the left side. Otherwise, it would have been Hodgson and Hansen out there instead of Manny. It is pretty clear to see.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:22 AM
galiano

So when everyone is healthy, who are Hodgson's linemates ?

Old
12-09-2011, 11:29 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

Raymond and Hansrn

Old
12-09-2011, 11:30 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
So when everyone is healthy, who are Hodgson's linemates ?
I say Hansen, Raymond and Hodgson is a pretty damned good third line.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:47 AM
arsmaster

The kid should be the first shooter in every shootout we have this season, such quick hands.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:00 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I say Hansen, Raymond and Hodgson is a pretty damned good third line.
That's a great third line!
Two speedsters on the wing and a smart set up guy in the middle. Hansen is having a career year and Raymond looks to be getting back to form. Once they get some chemistry and Booth gets back for the second line we will have three great lines. And then Malhotra, Lapierre and Wiese is a solid fourth line.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:14 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The kid should be the first shooter in every shootout we have this season, such quick hands.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He just knows how to dangle and he can actually roof it. I really think that's why our team struggles at times to score. We have incredible playmaking by the Sedins, but in the past, we didn't have pure snipers that can roof it. Ok, this season we have Booth so it is a bit better now, but in previous seasons those players weren't there. I think it was the reason that a team like chicago is so incredibly dangerous and can strike at anytime. Their 1-on-1 skills are just incredible and can make anyone look silly (kane, hossa, toews, sharp). On the other hand you have the Sedins who aren't very good at beating someone on-one-one. The Sedins score incredible goals by working together, but they just don't use dangles often to score a goal. The confusing thing is that the sedins do have accurate shots, but they just don't use it to their advantage. Even Kesler has a tough time beating someone one-one. He tries really hard sometimes, but he still isn't the best at it.

Anyways, Cody Hodgson can roof it very quickly after making a lot of moves and the majority of our roster can't. Hodgson should be the first shooter for every shootout hands down.

Also, does anyone else think that Raymond looks wayyy better than before he was injured? He's not skating wide anymore.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I've got no issues with the way Hodgson has been handled thus far this season. Vigneault has shown he is perfectly capable of developing players--both skill and grinding--within the system, and he is slowly giving Hodgson more leeway.

He had a big game last night, and he's been playing some pretty strong offensive hockey. He needs to tighten up some things defensively and that will come with time; but he's doing very well right now in the time he's being given, and more ice-time will come eventually. People who the coach "hates" do not get PP time or shootout attempts.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:53 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Does anyone know what the bonuses in his contract are? And how does that work with counting against the cap, ie if there are bonuses that become impossible to reach at some point in the season, does that salary value open up on our cap?

Also, are there any bonuses that won't apply next season? For example, Calder Trophy, or all rookie team.
The exact details of Hodgson's bonuses aren't publicly available, but what kind of bonuses he could have are mandated by the CBA. Looking at the list of possible bonuses, most of them can't be conclusively ruled out until the season is over. Here are the types allowable:

Type 1 (minimums listed are under CBA, actual contract thresholds could be higher):

Ice time (must be among top 6 forwards in ice time)
Goals (min. 20 goals)
Assists (min. 35 assists)
Points (min. 60 points)
Points per game (min. .73 pts/g and 42 games played)
+/- (top 3 on team)
NHL All Rookie Team selection
NHL All Star Game selection
NHL All Star Game MVP

So basically the All Star stuff are the only ones that can be excluded during the season (and maybe the ice time, but that wouldn't come into play until the last few games of the year). Anything else technically can't be ruled out, even if it's practically impossible to achieve.

There are also a 2nd type of bonuses which can be based on league awards, but those too couldn't be excluded until the end of the regular season.

And since all the bonuses are considered part of his cap hit, nothing could be put on to next year's cap because there's no bonus cushion. Even if Hodgson somehow hit every benchmark and won a bunch of hardware, it would have all been accounted for in his current cap hit.

Old
12-09-2011, 02:55 PM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Love this image... what a shot!

Old
12-09-2011, 02:59 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post

****ing Luongo on his belly again.

Old
12-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Absolute beauty. Some of the faces in the audience are pretty funny, too.

Old
12-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
Hodgson will be wearing the C when the Canucks win the cup (if it isnt this year )... mark my words. We have only begun to see the tip of the iceberg. I can't wait to hear the CODY! CODY! CODY! chants rain down from Rogers Arena. Me and my room mates were hammered come shootout last night and we chanted for a good 10 mins after the game. It rolls off the tongue very nicely.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The exact details of Hodgson's bonuses aren't publicly available, but what kind of bonuses he could have are mandated by the CBA. Looking at the list of possible bonuses, most of them can't be conclusively ruled out until the season is over. Here are the types allowable:

Type 1 (minimums listed are under CBA, actual contract thresholds could be higher):

Ice time (must be among top 6 forwards in ice time)
Goals (min. 20 goals)
Assists (min. 35 assists)
Points (min. 60 points)
Points per game (min. .73 pts/g and 42 games played)
+/- (top 3 on team)
NHL All Rookie Team selection
NHL All Star Game selection
NHL All Star Game MVP

So basically the All Star stuff are the only ones that can be excluded during the season (and maybe the ice time, but that wouldn't come into play until the last few games of the year). Anything else technically can't be ruled out, even if it's practically impossible to achieve.

There are also a 2nd type of bonuses which can be based on league awards, but those too couldn't be excluded until the end of the regular season.

And since all the bonuses are considered part of his cap hit, nothing could be put on to next year's cap because there's no bonus cushion. Even if Hodgson somehow hit every benchmark and won a bunch of hardware, it would have all been accounted for in his current cap hit.

I could be mistaken on this but I think Bonuses that are not hit yet still count to this years cap end up creating a cushion against next years cap.

In other words we could get a credit of between 500K and 700K next season.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:11 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
I could be mistaken on this but I think Bonuses that are not hit yet still count to this years cap end up creating a cushion against next years cap.

No. Normally you are given a cushion in the current season that allows you to exceed the cap by the amount of bonuses and, if those bonuses are hit putting you over the cap, you are penalized on next season's cap. But you don't get a credit if bonuses are not reached.

There is no bonus cushion this year because it's conceivably the last season of the CBA.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post

Nevermind. Beaten to the punch. Just called me Victor Oreskovich.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:16 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post

That puck jammed in the back par, shows skill and authority.

Love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
****ing Luongo on his belly again.
Its been stated many times, to get the push to lie your pad flat on the ice, you need to lean forward...its a goaltending technique.

I know you were joking here, but Luongo's problem when falling forward is reading the play late and reacting, instead of being in the right position, last nights shoot out is signs that that part of his game is coming around.

Although he seemed to be falling backwards more than usual

Old
12-09-2011, 04:29 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
We are developing him exactly like Philly developed Claude Giroux. Calm and patience...he'll be special for sure.
Oh, you mean the Claude Giroux who was handed 15 minutes of icetime a game in his first full season? The one who played 20 minutes versus the Canucks in his third NHL game ever? The most Cody has ever played is 16.

When a guy shows you he can play, you play him.

Malhotra is out for a faceoff? Well, tell him to get off the ice as soon as it's done and put Cody on, a la Bergeron for Team Canada in the Olympics. Plus, are we saying Hansen couldn't carry Hodgson defensively? I call B.S.

Sweatt and Alberts suck? Give someone on the 2nd or 3rd line a break and fit him in there.

This is basic coaching. I can't believe we're praising AV for not giving one of our best offensive threats a _single_ shift in the entire OT.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Oh, you mean the Claude Giroux who was handed 15 minutes of icetime a game in his first full season? The one who played 20 minutes versus the Canucks in his third NHL game ever? The most Cody has ever played is 16.

Malhotra is out for a faceoff? Well, tell him to get off the ice as soon as it's done and put Cody on, a la Bergeron for Team Canada in the Olympics. Plus, are we saying Hansen couldn't carry Hodgson defensively? I call B.S.

Sweatt and Alberts suck? Give someone on the 2nd or 3rd line a break and fit him in there.

This is basic coaching. I can't believe we're praising AV for not giving one of our best offensive threats a _single_ shift in the entire OT.
we're praising av because hodgson is having a really good year and is being used really efficiently. you're upset that in 5 minutes of game time with only two forwards on the ice that the rookie isn't being used over at least 6 other forwards who play well in that environment?

how much time did sweatt and alberts get? (none)

Old
12-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post

Yes, that's the guy.

Thanks for that, I'm sure everyone needed a bit of help with who Claude Giroux is right now.

Anyways, yes it is similar; Giroux might have played a shade more minutes per game over the length of his first full season (though it honestly would not surprise me at all to see Hodgson with around 15 minutes ATOI by seasons end). Giroux was also stuck behind significant centre depth (Richards, Briere, Carter) and was forced to play out of position on the wing a lot early on. Giroux registered 16 goals and 31 assists for 47 points over his first full 82 game season (Hodgson is on pace for 17 goals 23 assist for 43 points). Giroux was 21 at the time, and Hodgson is....21. Obviously different players, Giroux has better skating ability but is quite a bit smaller then Hodgson, who should be significantly stronger.

Would not shock me if these two guys end up with similar upside (cross fingers).

Old
12-09-2011, 05:39 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Anyways, yes it is similar; Giroux might have played a shade more minutes per game over the length of his first full season (though it honestly would not surprise me at all to see Hodgson with around 15 minutes ATOI by seasons end). Giroux was also stuck behind significant centre depth (Richards, Briere, Carter) and was forced to play out of position on the wing a lot early on. Giroux registered 16 goals and 31 assists for 47 points over his first full 82 game season (Hodgson is on pace for 17 goals 23 assist for 43 points). Giroux was 21 at the time, and Hodgson is....21. Obviously different players, Giroux has better skating ability but is quite a bit smaller then Hodgson, who should be significantly stronger.
How is it at all the same, other than scoring rate? Hodgson has played at least average difficulty of minutes at centre, mostly with third and fourth liners like Hansen, while Giroux played ~25% more with softer minutes on the wing, mostly with Mike Richards.

I'm not saying things should be different, but that's a pretty superficial comparison.

Closed Thread