HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Value of Jason Pominville / would you trade him?

Old
12-09-2011, 12:20 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Value of Jason Pominville / would you trade him?

I think the consensus answer to the latter part of the question in the thread title would be "of course I'd trade him in the right deal" - which I agree with. Please let me know if you wouldn't trade him.

But what do you think he'd fetch? What's his trade value? Any good proposals you can draw up with him as the centerpiece? Do you agree he has more trade value than Stafford? Boyes?

We have our strongest area of depth on the wings, but understandably, Stafford and Boyes are the names brought up when talking trade. Would you be okay seeing him shopped? And do you realistically see Regier trading his newly named captain ?

Last edited by jBuds: 12-09-2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Iphone autocorrect
jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:31 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Agree with your first part but Pominville is much more valuable to this team then his trade value and he has more trade value then both stafford and boyes. No I don't see Regier trading him.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Old Navy Goat

I wouldn't be adverse to them moving him to improve the team however it'd be very hard to replace his all around game. One thing to take into consideration is that you're losing Boyes in the off-season so how comfortable will the team be going into next season with Stafford and Kassian as their top 2 right wings, especially as Kaleta will be a RFA and hasn't exactly shown the durability to be counted on.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:44 AM
OpethianSabre20

Yes, I would for the right deal. It would really have to be a heck of a deal though.

Pommer's a 60-80 point forward who plays very well in his own end and also plays a huge role on the power play and penalty kill. That's not exactly easy to replace.

I don't see Regier pulling the trigger on any deal for him because I agree with Jpurp that his value on the trade market would be lower than the value he has on the team.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:06 AM
HiddenInLight

I wouldn't move him simply because I doubt the team coule find a deal worth it.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:13 AM
punkr0x

We just made him our captain and he's been incredible for us this year. I don't think there's any way you can trade him.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:19 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Mr. Softy? Yes, I'd trade him any day at any time.

He's a streaky player and will have a good 5-6 games, then disappear for 5-6.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:28 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Dumping the team captain.

A Buffalo Sabres tradition....

Pominville obviously has more trade value than Boyes (UFA to be) and Stafford. That's why I'd keep him.

I doubt there is a trade out there that move Pominville out and makes the Sabres better over the next 2 or 3 years.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:06 AM
sabresfan129103

If the right deal came along sure, but not unless it's massive overpayment. He's been one of our most consistent scorers this year.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Jame
Dream '16

What's the point, He has a Modified NTC where he can list 8 Teams he's willing to go to.

With that lack of leverage, it makes any deal nearly impossible.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

If it involved a player of equal character and similar skills I would. Eric Staal comes to mind. Pomminville is a highly skilled forward in his prime years, he would be a welcome addition to most teams in the NHL.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Blitz
Ei-kill for Eichel..

He has great return value no doubt - However, his value is not so high as to land us our "holy grail" of a #1 centre by himself - and would therefore weaken our top-6.

I would reluctantly consider a trade in a package for the following returns...

A) a true #1 centreman (who we a ctually have a shot at) - R. Getzlaf, E. Staal, J. Spezza, M. Koivu, M. Richards, J. Carter, P. Kane, P. Sharp, D. Backes, P. Bergeron

B) a top line power forward - N. Horton, J. Iginla, R. Nash, D. Brown, R. Malone+, JVR+, B. Dubinsky+, Z. Parise,

Otherwise - not a chance I'd deal him.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:41 AM
joshjull

Pommer is not a player that needs to go. He along with Vanek have finally formed 2/3rds of a top line and have great chemistry. They are a good base to build from in the top 6.

He has also been productive in the playoffs the last few years.

In 10gms + the 4:29 minues he played before getting hurt last year he has 3g 5a 8pts. (2 of the 3 goals were game winners)

Last edited by joshjull: 12-09-2011 at 11:58 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Boose30

i think he still holds value with the team for maybe the next couple of seasons and to be honest if we did move him who would take his spot....stafford????hahahah

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:46 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Moving your leading scorer and captain on an affordable contract is just good business.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:04 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
Moving your leading scorer and captain on an affordable contract is just good business.
Looks like we've come full circle as far as Pominville's salary is concerned.

I would trade the guy in a flash for the right deal. I thought he was garbage in the playoffs two years ago against Boston, and slightly more effective against Philly. I think he's having a productive year alongside Vanek, but I'm not married to the guy in any way, shape or form.

Yes, I'm aware of all those stats which show how productive Pominville has been over the past 5 years. Yet the only stat which interests me is how unproductive we've been as a team in the playoffs over that same span, and Jason deserves as much of the blame as anyone for that pitiful record (and yes, I'm including this year's first round exit as part of that 5 years).

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post

I would trade the guy in a flash for the right deal. I thought he was garbage in the playoffs two years ago against Boston, and slightly more effective against Philly. I think he's having a productive year alongside Vanek, but I'm not married to the guy in any way, shape or form.

Yes, I'm aware of all those stats which show how productive Pominville has been over the past 5 years. Yet the only stat which interests me is how unproductive we've been as a team in the playoffs over that same span, and Jason deserves as much of the blame as anyone for that pitiful record (and yes, I'm including this year's first round exit as part of that 5 years).
He had 4 points in 5 games this playoffs, I would like him to be more physical but what else can you ask of him? Before him and Connolly went down we were dominating on the PK, then after they go down, our PK blows, he is very important, would I trade him? For an elite game breaker, of course, but who will trade for Pominville?

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I doubt the right deal would be there where it would make the Sabres a better team, so I say no. Maybe in later seasons when his value to the team could be lower with other players rising up.

Caveat would be if the Sabres really could swing a trade for an elite center, such as if Staal is truly available. If Pominville were, for some inexplicable reason, a key player they'd want, then I'd say yes. But I just don't see that happening... they would want Ennis's and Kassian's, not Pominvilles -- and the salary making it up would likely be of the soon-to-expired variety.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Edler4Norris
Nucks / Flyers

Send a message via AIM to Edler4Norris Send a message via MSN to Edler4Norris
Getting rid of Stafford would be the better route to go. He signed his nice new little deal and now goes back to the same frustrating player he's always been. Full of promise with little results.

Edler4Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:55 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

pominville is clutch. a key figure for bringing out luke adam's main stream talent.

It should be hecht adam pominville

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 12-09-2011 at 03:04 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:57 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post

Pommer was put with Vanek last year to get Vanek going not the other way around. They've meshed and have been very effective as a combo. I drives me crazy when poster try to frame it as if Pommer is along for the ride offensively with Vanek.

Pommer is the ONLY forward that has succeeded each time he has been place on the top scoring line. First with Briere when Pommer had 30g 51pts at ES. The 30 ES goals was tied for 2nd in the NHL with Ovy and Heatley. Pommer is now having success again on the top line with Vanek. Basically he has succeeded every time he has been on the top line. Whereas Vanek is finally playing like the 1st line winger he is supposed to be. I'm not knocking Vanek but pointing out how little fans respect what Pommer has done and how good he is. Pommer is the best all around ES player on this team.

Vanek's ES production in the previous 4 seasons since he became our top line left winger

07-08 ---> 82gms 17g 40pts
08-09 ---> 73gms 18g 36pts
09-10 ---> 71gms 18g 35pts

last season (10-11)
-without Pommer at ES -> 37gms 7g 13pts (a 15g 29pt pace)
-with Pommer at ES ----> 43gms 14g 32pts(a 27g 61pt pace)

As a top line LW Vanek has produced his best ES numbers playing with Pommer and thats not a coincidence. Pommer has had a much bigger influence on Vanek's ES game than many want to credit him for. It would be an incredibly bad idea to break up this combo.

Quote:
Why are you singling Pommer out for the team's failure? As if he was the problem? He needs help added to the team so we can succeed. He doesn't need to be move out.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 03:49 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Pommer was put with Vanek last year to get Vanek going not the other way around. They've meshed and have been very effective as a combo. I drives me crazy when poster try to frame it as if Pommer is along for the ride offensively with Vanek.

Pommer is the ONLY forward that has succeeded each time he has been place on the top scoring line. First with Briere when Pommer had 30g 51pts at ES. The 30 ES goals was tied for 2nd in the NHL with Ovy and Heatley. Pommer is now having success again on the top line with Vanek. Basically he has succeeded every time he has been on the top line. Whereas Vanek is finally playing like the 1st line winger he is supposed to be. I'm not knocking Vanek but pointing out how little fans respect what Pommer has done and how good he is. Pommer is the best all around ES player on this team.

Vanek's ES production in the previous 4 seasons since he became our top line left winger

07-08 ---> 82gms 17g 40pts
08-09 ---> 73gms 18g 36pts
09-10 ---> 71gms 18g 35pts

last season (10-11)
-without Pommer at ES -> 37gms 7g 13pts (a 15g 29pt pace)
-with Pommer at ES ----> 43gms 14g 32pts(a 27g 61pt pace)

As a top line LW Vanek has produced his best ES numbers playing with Pommer and thats not a coincidence. Pommer has had a much bigger influence on Vanek's ES game than many want to credit him for. It would be an incredibly bad idea to break up this combo.

Why are you singling Pommer out for the team's failure? As if he was the problem? He needs help added to the team so we can succeed. He doesn't need to be move out.

When I say Pominville is playing alongside Vanek, I mean Pominville is playing alongside Vanek and nothing more. They've playing well together. Fact acknowledged.

Second, Pominville is not being singled out for the team's failures. There's plenty of that to go around. But as a leader, and a well paid one at that, he needs to own the fact that this team hasn't been that good since he and the other Roch Core took the helm.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Grinder44

The Sabres have two productive forwards this season, let's move one of them. Why not package him with Vanek and Kassian for some draft picks, right?

Grinder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 03:15 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder44 View Post
The Sabres have two productive forwards this season, let's move one of them. Why not package him with Vanek and Kassian for some draft picks, right?
I love how narrow minded people are

Pominville for Geztlaf hell no, Pominville for Stastny hell no, Pominville for Giroux heck no, Pominville for Backstrom forget it, Pominville for Kane no thank you. ect....

hint of saarcasm

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:58 AM
skibum

Pretty sure Jason is a Sabre for life.

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote