HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: NBA 2011-2012 Season Part 1

Old
02-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

vCash: 500
I like what the guy has been doing, but I just think it's a little weird that in the NBA you can have 5-6 good games and become a star overnight.

Just works a little differently in the NHL.

Hell Zeon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Devils Nick30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David2003 View Post
I like what the guy has been doing, but I just think it's a little weird that in the NBA you can have 5-6 good games and become a star overnight.

Because there are so few chances to break into the lineup in the NBA, and even when you do it might only be for a few minutes. Very odd situation, but he's proved himself over some tough competition so far.

I fully agree that 5-6 games is way too small of a sample size to see if he's legit the real deal though.

The feel good story might have part to do with it, and being in New York doesn't hurt

Here's a guy that actual predicted that Lin would fair well in the NBA if given a chance, at least statisically: http://hoopsanalyst.com/blog/?p=487

Devils Nick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Came in here to say Jeremy ****ing Lin. That is all.

Kid has single-handedly ignited an interest in basketball in me that I never knew existed.

Henrique Iglesias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by David2003 View Post

The fact its in New York helps a lot. The fact that there was a lot of hype around the Knicks at the start of the season and then they face planted helps, as this story is bringing them back into the picture. And the fact that this season is so condensed, he was able to pull off these 6 games in what... 10 days? The first 5 of which were in 7. In a normal season (or in hockey by that same token), it could probably be 13-17 days. The fact that there was next to no wait time between games helped it grow that much quicker.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:21 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

This will probably be the last time I ever post here but what is amazing about this Lin story is that, in NY, the Rangers and their great season has been eclipsed by his fantastic two weeks (or however long it is I don't really know or otherwise care).

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

lmao.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:20 PM
ClaudeLemieux22

[QUOTE=The Point Man;44156439]Came in here to say Jeremy ****ing Lin. That is all.

Kid has single-handedly ignited an interest in basketball in me that I never knew existed.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Always been a casual fan but haven't watched a full game in years (can't stand the end of games where they foul everyone turning the final minute into a 20 minute ordeal). Tuned into the Knicks-Lakers game to see what the hype is about and man he is exciting to watch, I am hooked especially after tuning in tonight and seeing him tie the game then win it - although a lot of praise needs to go to Shumpert for that steal/dunk and Chandler for some big blocks at the end. Good for NY and a great story, biggest thing to me is they are finally looking like a team.

ClaudeLemieux22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:33 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
This will probably be the last time I ever post here but what is amazing about this Lin story is that, in NY, the Rangers and their great season has been eclipsed by his fantastic two weeks (or however long it is I don't really know or otherwise care).
I thought about this earlier as well. Kind of funny actually. A city who has had a kid play 5-6 good games with several being against mediocre opponents puts a conference leading powerhouse team somewhere off center stage.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Fayne Staley
Dr. Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
As a NYER, I'm loving it. I swear its like the Rangers don't even exist. No one is talking about their great season, it's all about "LIN!" all the puns are ridiculous as well 'linsanity" "VaLINtine's day" lol

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Modell's has Lin t-shirt jerseys that say Linsanity on the back.

And sell regular Lin jersey in the front rack above Melo and Amare...this Modells is located on Broadway ave in downtown Manhattan.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:32 AM
apice3*

Not to be a party pooper but Lin turns the ball over way too much to be looked at as highly as he is. His 27 points just come off as so much less impressive when you realize the Raptors had like 15 points off his turnovers. Plus he's running point in the joke 7-seconds-or-less offense D'Antoni runs. And once Melo comes back, he's gonna tank the kid's success.

Just my view. I'm a fun ruiner.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Not to be a party pooper but Lin turns the ball over way too much to be looked at as highly as he is. His 27 points just come off as so much less impressive when you realize the Raptors had like 15 points off his turnovers. Plus he's running point in the joke 7-seconds-or-less offense D'Antoni runs. And once Melo comes back, he's gonna tank the kid's success.

Just my view. I'm a fun ruiner.
did you see the bums he was winning games with last week?

I agree hes not going to be some MVP caliber player but what he has done has been impressive. Melo was the one that urged D'antoni to play Lin so I doubt he will be upset the ball isnt always in his hands now

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
did you see the bums he was winning games with last week?

I agree hes not going to be some MVP caliber player but what he has done has been impressive. Melo was the one that urged D'antoni to play Lin so I doubt he will be upset the ball isnt always in his hands now
Melo needs the ball in his hands to play his game and i doubt he will adjust for Lin when he isn't even willing to adjust for Amare. And 5 of those 6 wins were against the Nets, Jazz, Raptors, Wizards and TWolves. If Lin puts those numbers up against good teams, we can talk again.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
Melo needs the ball in his hands to play his game and i doubt he will adjust for Lin when he isn't even willing to adjust for Amare. And 5 of those 6 wins were against the Nets, Jazz, Raptors, Wizards and TWolves. If Lin puts those numbers up against good teams, we can talk again.
so we're just going to completely dismiss the game against the Lakers?

like I said, I realize hes not the next coming of magic johnson or anything and the hype is a little silly, but the dude has been awesome and is showing no signs of slowing down.

reminds me a lot of the Tebow situation, actually

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I thought about this earlier as well. Kind of funny actually. A city who has had a kid play 5-6 good games with several being against mediocre opponents puts a conference leading powerhouse team somewhere off center stage.
Honestly, New York is a basketball city first and foremost. When the Rangers are good, people notice and are into it. But when the Knicks are good, they dominate the city's attention. That first Monday after the lockout ended, I saw more Knicks stuff on the street around the Garden than I have seen Rangers gear in any location short of inside the arena. The Knicks sold out their pre-season game, and had a LOUD crowd for a meaningless, terrible quality game against the Nets. Not saying this as a means to bash the Rangers, but the Knicks are more New York's team than the Rangers. They're just always going to be the ones getting the attention, especially when they're competitive.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Kovy Wan Kenobi
Not A Rookie User

Well he lost. The Linsanity has died down now and what happens when Linsanity dies down? This...

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/18/jeremy.../#.Tz_XXnJSR8s

Kovy Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:21 PM
apice3*

4 minutes in, and the Nets are up 16 on the Bulls in Chicago. Crimson Devil is crapping himself somewhere. Nets are currently on pace to win by 192.

Old
02-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Is Rose playing?

Old
02-18-2012, 04:14 PM
King Henrique
ɹǝʌo s,ʇı ǝnbıɹuǝɥ

no, he is still out

King Henrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
Is Rose playing?
Can you imagine Nets leading by sixteen with Rose in the game?

Last edited by Getzo5: 02-18-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:17 PM
apice3*

Awesome game. Humphries is a fantastic player. 24 points, 18 rebounds against Joakim Noah no less.

Oh, and Noah was held to 0 points and 6 rebounds. Better than Brook Lopez, brah.

Old
02-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Humph gets no respect but I always back him up.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Fayne Staley
Dr. Evil

Not big into the NBA, but I know about Petrovic due to my eastern european roots. Thought this was a nice tribute, idk what nets fans think though.

http://blog.northjersey.com/nets/106...onor-petrovic/

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post
Not big into the NBA, but I know about Petrovic due to my eastern european roots. Thought this was a nice tribute, idk what nets fans think though.

http://blog.northjersey.com/nets/106...onor-petrovic/
I respect Morrow even more now.

Old
02-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Devils Nick30

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Awesome game. Humphries is a fantastic player. 24 points, 18 rebounds against Joakim Noah no less.

Oh, and Noah was held to 0 points and 6 rebounds. Better than Brook Lopez, brah.
Noah isn't that good but he obviously had his worst game of the season. That game would have also been completely different if the Bulls had Rose, but good for the Nets.

Devils Nick30 is offline   Reply With Quote