HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: NBA 2011-2012 Season Part 1

Old
07-03-2012, 11:36 PM
apice3*

vCash: 500
It was a no-brainer for Deron, honestly.

The way the NBA free agency is set up, it's almost impossible to lose your superstar. The fact that both Toronto and Cleveland did is puzzling.

Just to quote a Nets blog: No NBA player has left 25 million dollars on the table. Deron wasn't going to be the first.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:42 PM
apice3*

Reggie Evans and Kris Humphries are two of the best rebounders in the league. Wallace is no slouch. Lopez, when healthy is good, but he needs to return to form.

If the Howard and JJ deals go through, the only thing we're missing a is shooter. But we all know what Deron can do when he's locked in.

We haven't seen an elite PG-C tandem like the possibility of Deron + Howard since Magic and Kareem. The closest thing since then has been Wade + Shaq, although Shaq was aging and Wade hadn't totally broken through yet. Even they won a title together and would have won more if Pat Riley didn't dick Shaq over.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
It was a no-brainer for Deron, honestly.

The way the NBA free agency is set up, it's almost impossible to lose your superstar. The fact that both Toronto and Cleveland did is puzzling.

Just to quote a Nets blog: No NBA player has left 25 million dollars on the table. Deron wasn't going to be the first.
Quote:
Reggie Evans and Kris Humphries are two of the best rebounders in the league. Wallace is no slouch. Lopez, when healthy is good, but he needs to return to form.

If the Howard and JJ deals go through, the only thing we're missing a is shooter. But we all know what Deron can do when he's locked in.

We haven't seen an elite PG-C tandem like the possibility of Deron + Howard since Magic and Kareem. The closest thing since then has been Wade + Shaq, although Shaq was aging and Wade hadn't totally broken through yet. Even they won a title together and would have won more if Pat Riley didn't dick Shaq over.
It really is absurd to think any max player would leave their team outright in FA anymore. The Nets offered an extra year and $25 mil for Deron. How does anyone pass that up? Its sign and trades or nothing by now for guys making that much.

Those two can be a nice pairing, but they still have to bring Humphries back before its something to consider.

If they get Howard, I wouldn't worry about getting a shooter. Billy King can walk into work the next day and probably have a dozen voicemails from agents with clients that want to go there for the vet minimum. The application pile may be a little thinner without Howard, but they can find one out there. Just going to come down to luring in the right one(s) that are worthy of the minutes they'll need to make an impact. But you see all of these star laden teams lure in vet role players without too much difficulty. I doubt the Nets will have a problem getting personnel for that role.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Quote:

Really? So i had nothing to do with Shaq behaving like a 5 year old and disrespecting Riley in front of the team more than once? And it had nothing to do with him playing like ass after the 06 title, him constantly whining about getting less touches on offense than Wade or his hip injury which didn't allow him to play for Miami that magically disappeared once he was traded to Phoenix?

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
The Nets are looking pretty good right about now. If they get Howard they will have an awesome Big 3.

I would actually have gone to a game or two if they stayed at the Rock...
They wouldn't have this team if they were staying at the Rock.. Brooklyn is a brand in itself

I had doubts about even retaining D-Will.. Love the moves so far (even though JJ's contract in horrendous).. Acquiring Howard would put it over the top

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Take Notes
Reaching for the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bicek View Post
They wouldn't have this team if they were staying at the Rock.. Brooklyn is a brand in itself

I had doubts about even retaining D-Will.. Love the moves so far (even though JJ's contract in horrendous).. Acquiring Howard would put it over the top
I'm surprised no one is talking about "The Decision Part 2" ... oups its the NBA thread..

Take Notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Ripshot 43

Ray Allen agrees with the Heat.

Ripshot 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:45 PM
davebenj

I know it's like the 27 Yankees playing the 62 Mets but does anyone know the last time the Nets have beaten the Heat? It has to have been about four or five seasons ago at this point or at least it feels like it. (I'm not as much of a Sac fan as I used to be so I'm following the Nets more with their move to Brooklyn even though I live in Jersey lol)

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshot 43 View Post
If the sign and trade for Camby that is rumored right now is true, this is starting to get unfair. And i love it.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Oh boy.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Ripshot 43

Reports are that the Knicks will not match the offer sheet for Jeremy Lin and that they have traded for Raymond Felton.

Deal was originally 4 years for 28 million and then the rockets upped it to 3 years 25 million with about 15 million coming in the 3rd year which makes it very hard for the Knicks to manage in that 3rd year of they retained him.

Oh and Jason Kidd gets arrested on a DWI in NY.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Scott04

I can't blame the Knicks financially for not matching the deal. Just because you have bottomless pockets and can afford the luxury tax penalty doesn't mean they should match the deal and likely handcuff themselves from having any flexibility in the 3rd year of that deal. I think the whole situation though was one giant PR **** up by them. The Knicks could have approached him with an offer, likely less than what he signed, and he would have stayed I'm sure. I really don't think Felton is an upgrade overall, at least not in the long-term sense. It really shows their thought is that they can win in the next 2 years, and that's it (as can also be seen by the acquisitions of aging vets like Kidd, Camby, and Thomas). I really think Lin would have learned a lot and become a much better player in the long run learning under Kidd. He would have likely become a better distributor than he was, and would probably have a much better handle on his turnover rate. But I guess that's not to be. Kind of a shame really, but oh well.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:01 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
Really? So i had nothing to do with Shaq behaving like a 5 year old and disrespecting Riley in front of the team more than once? And it had nothing to do with him playing like ass after the 06 title, him constantly whining about getting less touches on offense than Wade or his hip injury which didn't allow him to play for Miami that magically disappeared once he was traded to Phoenix?
Shaq was an injury machine in Miami because of the way Pat Riley runs ship.

When you take a guy as big as Shaq and force him to be leaner than he's been during his 30+ year life, you're going to get injury issues. They disappeared in Phoenix because their medical staff is the best in the league, according to pretty much any player who has ever played for them. The fact that he was allowed to put his normal weight back on and not eat salad for every meal also contributed to his re-surgence.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Knicks aren't matching Lin

what a circus haha

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Knicks aren't matching Lin

what a circus haha
Did they officially say that now?

Old
07-17-2012, 03:42 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

I'm not exactly following it day in and day out but how was it legal for the Rockets to change an offer they already made to Lin? Once you sign an offer sheet that should be it, no?

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I'm not exactly following it day in and day out but how was it legal for the Rockets to change an offer they already made to Lin? Once you sign an offer sheet that should be it, no?
they never changed it I don't think, I just think the original reported deal was wrong

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
they never changed it I don't think, I just think the original reported deal was wrong
I just believe that the original deal was reported before it was signed and the Knicks unwisely stated that they would match any deal. So the Rockets decided to up the third year to a level they knew would be uncomfortable (to say the least) for the Knicks.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Scott04

You can't sign deals before July 11th anyway with the way the CBA outlines the start of free agency and the start of signing. First reports on the offer sheet were before the 11th. Either the reports were wrong, or the deal was changed prior to anything being signed.

Old
08-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Ripshot 43

Huge nba deal reportedly going down

Lakers get Dwight Howard
Magic get Gasol
Nuggets get Igudola
76ers get Bynum

Those are the big names. I'm sure others are moving and the Nuggets have to be givin up something decent.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Devils Nick30

Quote:
Huge nba deal reportedly going down

Lakers get Dwight Howard
Magic get Gasol
Nuggets get Igudola
76ers get Bynum

Those are the big names. I'm sure others are moving and the Nuggets have to be givin up something decent.
lakers vs heat

Devils Nick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Nick30 View Post
lakers vs heat
Definitely what it's looking like.

Al Harrington going to the lakers as well.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Devils Nick30

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...,5579957.story

Gasol and the Lakers did beat the Magic in 2009...

Devils Nick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:50 PM
davebenj

If that deal is true, the Magic got absolutely killed. They would have been better off taking the Nets deal which they believed they could have gotten more than. What a horrible return, seriously. Gasol by himself and not even draft picks or anything, what a freaking joke.

Edit: Whatever the Nuggets gave up better be good. I'm so sick of teams trying to whether intentionally or not help the Lakers. As if my Kings weren't going to be in enough trouble this season.

Last edited by davebenj: 08-09-2012 at 09:56 PM.
davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

This is like Sidney Crosby for MacArthur, David Steckel and 3 firsts

Who the hell is the Magic GM?

oh and apparently it's not Gasol going back

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote