HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomas Kaberle Traded to Montreal for Jaroslav Spacek

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Arpon Basu @ArponBasu Close
I'm looking forward to seeing the glowing Spacek tributes come in today from people who wanted him buried in the minors. It's funny because its true.
Well it's all about who you acquired in the process. Spacek gives us a great promising young players, there wouldn't be no tributes. Trade him for 3 years of Kaberle....you suddenly miss him more....

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsIn7 View Post
When is Campoli back? Does this trade mean St Denis was sent down to make room for Kaberle?
yes he was sent down this morning

Old
Gally11

vCash: 500
This is what we get... We call for PG's head and he's leaving us with a parting gift

Old
12-09-2011, 11:12 AM
TheArchitect*

Just hope you get this Kaberle..

... and not Carolina Kaberle.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:12 AM
patsbury

Basically, Kaberle was a god 12 months ago and most people were praising to get him at trade deadline (for the record: Boston snatch him a bit before though). He couldn't find his game with the B's, his style of play didn't exactly match the one les Bruns (read Bruins) was playing then start to completely suck. He was barely noticeable during the whole playoffs and held a very diminutive role in the Stanley cup win.

Come July 1st, every GM in the league knew about his apparent problem with the B's and did not want to touch that guy with a stick. He has probably accepted the only offer he found himself reasonable (with a crappy team).

So, to resume it, he sucked for the lasst 5 months or so of hockey. Saying he is finished is a bit of a stretch since most of 2010-11 season, he was very good on a "bad" (read not so good) Toronto team.

Wait and see? Although, we all know how these kind of trades turn for us...it always seems we get the worst part of it.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Andy

I just want three things.

1. He gets the PP clicking which is not too much to ask(at least I don't think so)
2. He allows Gorges and Subban to tone down their minutes, because they are playing way too ****ing much.
3. Maybe it means the end of Diaz and Emelin as the second pairing. Don't get me wrong, they have been good, but two rookies as your second pairing...it's tough.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:14 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Man, the over reaction is pathetic.
I am actually pleased with this deal. People in Mtl value cap space way too much.

I expect Kaberle's presence to bring a much needed help. Similar to what a Hamrlik would have done, with better offense.

I saw him as a plan B after Ehrhoff last summer. Considering everybody in Carolina has been bad, I wont put much stock on his performance. Changing teams from Leafs to Boston last year must have been tough, but he was not as bad as some made him out to be.
You do know that this summer, Habs has to re-sign Subban, Price, Emelin, Diaz, White. And those are only the RFAs worth mentionning, plus Kostitsyn. This $4M would have been pretty useful.

Plus Kaberle is playing like **** since he left the Leafs.

Old
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan182018 View Post
why are you guys whining about the salary cap?

Kaberle is 4,2M Spacek was 3,8M
Because Spacek was off the books after this year and the Habs probably need his money to help re-sign Price, Subban, and maybe Kostitsyn and Moen..

With Kaberle on the books for 2 more years after this one at a higher salary some guys will have to go and it better be Gomez..

EDIT.. Oops.. Forgot Gorges..

Old
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Man, the over reaction is pathetic.
I am actually pleased with this deal. People in Mtl value cap space way too much.

I expect Kaberle's presence to bring a much needed help. Similar to what a Hamrlik would have done, with better offense.

I saw him as a plan B after Ehrhoff last summer. Considering everybody in Carolina has been bad, I wont put much stock on his performance. Changing teams from Leafs to Boston last year must have been tough, but he was not as bad as some made him out to be.
I completely agree...if he plays well and I think he will...great and easy to move if needed. 49 points last year in nothing to sneeze at ...wasn't Pleky the leading scorer on our team last year and he only had 53?

What I don't like is that all we have is puck moving Dmen, one guy who hits and STILL not enough toughness outside of Emelin? Need size folks to battle with biig forwards.

But let's give the guy a chance, we are desperate on the PP!

Old
Ginu

Markov, Subban, Kaberle, Emelin, Gorges and...?

Gill, Weber, Diaz or Campoli aren't that guy long term. I can see us packaging Weber for a power-forward, using Gill in there this year and filling that void with some SIZE. At least I hope.

Old
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
Basically, Kaberle was a god 12 months ago and most people were praising to get him at trade deadline (for the record: Boston snatch him a bit before though). He couldn't find his game with the B's, his style of play didn't exactly match the one les Bruns (read Bruins) was playing then start to completely suck. He was barely noticeable during the whole playoffs and held a very diminutive role in the Stanley cup win.

Come July 1st, every GM in the league knew about his apparent problem with the B's and did not want to touch that guy with a stick. He has probably accepted the only offer he found himself reasonable (with a crappy team).

So, to resume it, he sucked for the lasst 5 months or so of hockey. Saying he is finished is a bit of a stretch since most of 2010-11 season, he was very good on a "bad" (read not so good) Toronto team.

Wait and see? Although, we all know how these kind of trades turn for us...it always seems we get the worst part of it.
Most Toronto fans I know of were happy to get rid of Kaberle last year. I've long been a fan and I honestly wouldn't have any problem with this if it wasn't for his atrocious contract, but it's been well over a year since he looked even decent. He also makes Weber look tough.

Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post

If Kaberle is not jolted by this trade, what's gonna light him up ?

Old
12-09-2011, 11:15 AM
PinchedNerve

Darkest day in Habs history.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:15 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
I don't see the problem with this, Kaberle has a good transition and if he is used properly can be a great weapon. Kaberle at 4.5 is a little high but he is at least as serviceable as Spacek who gets 3.75. He is a former number one dman on a bad team. He could be a good 3-4 on this team. we may be looking at a longer absence of top 4 dmen. I like this move.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Bullsmith

Wow, listening to Team 990, mainly Marinaro, go after this guy you'd think the Habs were both a) broke and b) going to miss Spacek. Maybe once I see him play I'll join Marinaro's outrage but for now, Jeebus. We gave nothing for him. We're already overpaying useless players and this guy isn't an off ice problem. To repeat, Boston payed 2 first rounders on him and he was good enough to play 20 mins a night on the team that won the cup. He may not make the Habs better but they haven't lost anything but money if that's true. At this point they might as well count on a free buyout window in the next CBA (there was one last time, and it's more money for players so I can't see why the NHLPA would say no.

Seriously. We paid nothing for a name player. He may be a shell of what he used to be, but he used to be an all star.

Old
Jamie Thomas

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Arpon Basu @ArponBasu Close
I'm looking forward to seeing the glowing Spacek tributes come in today from people who wanted him buried in the minors

It's funny because its true.
Wanting Spacek buried in the minors is stupid because he still would have counted on the salary cap. Doesn't mean that getting one of the softest d-man in the league who is clearly on his decline and has a 4,25 millions dollars cap hit for 2 more years is a good move. Smells of desperation by Gauthier, precisely the worst type of move to do. Too bad he was not canned earlier but I'm not surprised.

Old
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Gauthier and Martin needs to be fired. They lost their minds.

Old
Stradale

Short term he will probably help us. Not sure in 2 years but I will give a chance for this trade. He's in our team now.

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Rutherford must have been laughing his head off after that deal

Good morning Mr. Rutherford would you like trade me your problem?

Old
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan182018 View Post
why are you guys whining about the salary cap?

Kaberle is 4,2M Spacek was 3,8M
Exactly. Can't believe what I'm hearing on TSN990. This could end up being a really good deal. We've given up nothing! Look at what the Bruins gave up for him. Not a PG fan but this is nothing to be upset about. Classic case of buying an asset when the value is low.

As for Price and Subban contracts, you can't possibly think that they will get top-3 money with the year they are having. Subban is having a lousy season and Price has been good but not in the top tier right now. If I was negotiating with him, I would point out that he can't stop a beach ball in SO. It's a business after all. Time to lock them both up at a low price.

Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Markov, Subban, Kaberle, Emelin, Gorges and...?

Gill, Weber, Diaz or Campoli aren't that guy long term. I can see us packaging Weber for a power-forward, using Gill in there this year and filling that void with some SIZE. At least I hope.
Don't expect the moon for Weber. i would settle for a guy like Thorburn + a 3rd round pick for him

Old
HabsIn7

Kaberle feeding Subban might work well. If he can improve the PP he's worth the money. Please tell me this trade isn't a sign that Markov is much worse off than being reported.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want The 25 View Post
I was one of spacek only fans here but this is a robbery kaberle is still a very good defender
Exactly, I like that trade a lot, even with the 2 years remaining on the contract. We needed vets at defense signed for next year.

Subban
Diaz
Kaberle

Markov (will he ever play again?)
Emelin (will he stay in north america?)
Gorges (will he stay in Montreal?)
Weber (traded?)
Gill (retired or let go?)
Campoli (let go?)

Old
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
I liked Spacek, but keep in mind Kaberle has had a rough year in Carolina.. but before that he is an easy top three d-man. Usually we give up high picks for a player like this (Schneider, Wiz... okay okay those guys are UFA's and Kaberle isn't).. this time it was an older defenceman.. If Kaberle can quarterback the powerplay, we'll be laughing. This guy has been a world class defenceman for 85% of his career. You think guys like Cammy and Pleks aren't going to be pumped that they have him threading the needle now? Seriously, I hated his guts when he was a Leaf.. but remember how much he would torch us? Kaberle is a smooth, cerebral player. He'll be a good fit.

If we had signed Kaberle in the summer, would anyone be complaining? Doubt it. Give the guy a fresh slate and a chance and we'll see what happens. He's basically a better, younger, less brittle Spacek. So let's see what happens.
That was the time to do it!

Signing Markov to three years and then scrambling in a panic to replace him with Campoli and then Kaberle looks like a lack of foresight. So when (if) Markov comes back what do they do with the three PMD?

I wanted Kaberle in the summer, especially since he was visibly disgusted playing for the Bruins.

Welcome to the anti-Bruins Kabs.

Old
couris

We gave Spacek, not Mcdonagh

Closed Thread