HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXII

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1greg View Post
I agree that overpayment is the only way a good FA will come to Denver. The Organization, FO and coaching staff looks terrible to outsiders and I can't see any top FA like Parise or Suter thinking that the Avs is a good destination for a prime portion of their career for winning.
Which is a huge reason why the Avs should replace Sacco with Carlyle right now. They have a little success the rest of the season, maybe make the playoffs, and they're much closer to being a contender.

Guys like Suter or Parise with connections to the team see that, and see they have a highly respected stanley cup winning coach, and Colorado becomes a possible choice for them. Especially if they sign one of them first, or go to both and say we want to sign both of you guys. That makes it look like management wants to win, and becomes even more appealing.

But that's not how this organization does things. We'll just hire crappy inexperienced coaches, or give said coaches way too much leash, and not spend a dime on anything to make the team better, whether it's goalie coaches or players.

The time for a patient rebuild should be over. They've given time to the young guys, and most all of the ones they will build the team with are already on the Avs, and it doesn't quite look like they'll be able to take the lead and do it by themselves. They need to build around them now with some proven guys.

Old
12-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Dennis Wideman is who I hope Colorado gets because there's no way in hell Zach Parise or Ryan Suter will come play for this horrible team. I know I wouldn't if I were them.
It happens time and time again. If the avs pay they will come, pretty big if tho.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Potential shakeup in LA? Their fans were mentioning Alec Martinez, Jarrett Stoll, Matt Greene, and Brad Richardson as guys he may be moved. I'd happily take any of them.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
Potential shakeup in LA? Their fans were mentioning Alec Martinez, Jarrett Stoll, Matt Greene, and Brad Richardson as guys he may be moved. I'd happily take any of them.
None of those guys are really what this team is missing. Maybe Stoll from a leadership perspective or if they didn't have McClement, but that sounds more like a list of expendables.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
None of those guys are really what this team is missing. Maybe Stoll from a leadership perspective or if they didn't have McClement, but that sounds more like a list of expendables.
They would be better than our lower end players for sure, but you are right. I'm a big fan of Martinez, but we do have Elliot and Barrie. A guy like Dustin Brown would help. Then again, I doubt they move their captain.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:07 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Speaking of guys who can put up points but get exposed horrifically when used as top pairing defensemen...

He is an excellent power play QB, though. Personally I'm hoping he realizes that he's found a home in Washington and takes a pay cut to stay... but unless Green is moved that's not happening.
Someone is probably going to pay him something insane, probably Paul Martin money, if he continues on this 55 point pace.

His cap hit (3.875) is much lower than his salary (4.5 million), so I'm sure he's looking for a pay increase.

Old
12-12-2011, 09:10 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Someone is probably going to pay him something insane, probably Paul Martin money, if he continues on this 55 point pace.

His cap hit (3.875) is much lower than his salary (4.5 million), so I'm sure he's looking for a pay increase.
Oh, I don't doubt it... but they'll regret it, unless the coaches somehow turn him into a good defenseman. If that's the case, I doubt they let him walk and it's more likely we see Green gone. Wideman is really good offensively, but not good enough defensively to warrant a 5M contract or more. Put it this way: he gets defensively exposed by first lines so badly that he couldn't cut it with Chara as a shutdown pairing.

Old
12-12-2011, 09:31 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Oh, I don't doubt it... but they'll regret it, unless the coaches somehow turn him into a good defenseman. If that's the case, I doubt they let him walk and it's more likely we see Green gone. Wideman is really good offensively, but not good enough defensively to warrant a 5M contract or more. Put it this way: he gets defensively exposed by first lines so badly that he couldn't cut it with Chara as a shutdown pairing.
Bruins fans used to say "Chara isn't even the best defenseman on the team" in the year Wideman broke out (08-09), but those thoughts quickly disappeared (along with Wideman's career "+" rating) after 09-10.

I really doubt Washington hangs onto him. He's the type of guy a Washington type team will go after next trade deadline, but not necessarily commit to long term. They'll be looking for the next Dennis Wideman, if that makes sense.

Meanwhile, a team like Colorado will sign him for too much dough and overhype him (shades of Wisniewski), which will be followed by his play leveling off to the point in which fans utter the tired line "he's overpaid, but he's still good." Which as a fan of the Colorado Avalanche, who's never seen a bigger free agent defensive signing than Scott Hannan, I can live with.

Old
12-12-2011, 09:33 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
Bruins fans used to say "Chara isn't even the best defenseman on the team" in the year Wideman broke out (08-09), but those thoughts quickly disappeared (along with Wideman's career "+" rating) after 09-10.

I really doubt Washington hangs onto him. He's the type of guy a Washington type team will go after next trade deadline, but not necessarily commit to long term. They'll be looking for the next Dennis Wideman, if that makes sense.

Meanwhile, a team like Colorado will sign him for too much dough and overhype him (shades of Wisniewski), which will be followed by his play leveling off to the point in which fans utter the tired line "he's overpaid, but he's still good."

Which as a fan of the Colorado Avalanche, who's never seen a bigger free agent defensive signing than Scott Hannan, I can live with.
One could argue that the Smyth signing was bigger no?

For me I knew that we overpaid for him, but we did need help on the LW, and he filled that need while he was here...too bad the Coaches didn't use him right, i.e. in front of the net, instead preferring to have him try and be a "behind-the-net" type of guy.

Old
12-12-2011, 09:38 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
One could argue that the Smyth signing was bigger no?
"defensive"

But yeah, that's the other big one. Just goes to show that the Avalanche have historically been reluctant to add anything other than complimentary pieces via free agency.

By my count Jan Hejda is the third most expensive signing the Avalanche have ever made, which is kind of sad. Even sadder is Darcy Tucker at number four...

Old
12-12-2011, 09:43 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
"defensive"
DOY!!! I seriously can't read can I?

Don't worry guys...I'll punish myself

Old
12-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 2800
Rissmiller is on waivers. Kobasew replacement?

Old
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Rissmiller is on waivers. Kobasew replacement?
It's probably waivers to go down to AHL. He's been injured and hasn't played for them yet, so it's most likely waivers to make him eligible for LEM.

Old
12-14-2011, 01:19 AM
shadow1

Swapping David Jones for another struggling winger (Brad Boyes, when he returns from the IR, is ideal) seems like it would be a good fit right now.

Jones just isn't getting it done anywhere on the ice or on the score sheet for Colorado, and it's been like that for a while. He manages to botch the few scoring chances he gets, and even worse seems to bobble to puck every time it's passed to him while he's in stride. Avs need much better from their consensus #2 RWer.

Old
12-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 2800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It's probably waivers to go down to AHL. He's been injured and hasn't played for them yet, so it's most likely waivers to make him eligible for LEM.
Ah, that's right. I'd heard about his injury, but, being Rissmiller, that info didn't stick. Not to mention, it makes more sense than a call-up. I know the team is a little desperate, but not to that extreme.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
So if the Avs had the chance to trade for some top6/9 winger support, who would you be open to trading? And let's be a little more realistic than putting our entire 4th line and scratches list together to make one top 6 player.

I'm looking at Quincey, O'Brien, O'Byrne, Jones, Galiardi, Gaunce, Chouinard as perhaps the 'highest' I go in terms of player movement.

Hejda/Kobasew could go I guess, but they won't. And Hejda (could also apply to O'Byrne) I feel deserve a real coach that will use him as a #4/5 defenseman in the right situations, rather than keep bouncing him around. I actually really like his slap shot when it hits the net too, about once every 10 games.

I'm looking at guys like Tedenby, Umberger, Ruutu, Okposo.

If we went expensive and/or used more valuable assets I suppose we could ask about Brown, Morrow, Stafford, Havlat. Although none seem worth their potential asking price.

Used goods we might be able to get for pucks could be Penner or Brunette.

I'm pretty interested in seeing what Tedenby's price would be despite his size after watching him play a bit, he's stronger on the puck than I expected and he might work out in Sacco's system.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:52 AM
avsfan9

we need some more veteran presence on this team. i've always liked cammelleri and i think he would be a good fit on this team. another player we might have a shot at is dustin brown from l.a. brown is another good player that is under achieving this year.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
hawk30

I'd be interested in something like Jones for Williams or Jones+ for Brown.

Old
12-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan9 View Post
we need some more veteran presence on this team. i've always liked cammelleri and i think he would be a good fit on this team. another player we might have a shot at is dustin brown from l.a. brown is another good player that is under achieving this year.
No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk30 View Post
I'd be interested in something like Jones for Williams or Jones+ for Brown.
That plus needs to be something significant.

Old
12-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Barklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I'm pretty interested in seeing what Tedenby's price would be despite his size after watching him play a bit, he's stronger on the puck than I expected and he might work out in Sacco's system.
You made a funny.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:10 PM
AvsFan7*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
So if the Avs had the chance to trade for some top6/9 winger support, who would you be open to trading? And let's be a little more realistic than putting our entire 4th line and scratches list together to make one top 6 player.

I'm looking at Quincey, O'Brien, O'Byrne, Jones, Galiardi, Gaunce, Chouinard as perhaps the 'highest' I go in terms of player movement.

Hejda/Kobasew could go I guess, but they won't. And Hejda (could also apply to O'Byrne) I feel deserve a real coach that will use him as a #4/5 defenseman in the right situations, rather than keep bouncing him around. I actually really like his slap shot when it hits the net too, about once every 10 games.

I'm looking at guys like Tedenby, Umberger, Ruutu, Okposo.

If we went expensive and/or used more valuable assets I suppose we could ask about Brown, Morrow, Stafford, Havlat. Although none seem worth their potential asking price.

Used goods we might be able to get for pucks could be Penner or Brunette.

I wouldnt mind seeing the Avs pick up either Ruutu or AK47, also wouldnt mind seeing us pick up a good Veteran player.

If we could package Galiardi and a 3rd, for a Top 6 guy I would do it, not sure if thats enough though.

If we could get Brown from LA for Jones, Galiardi, and a 2nd I would jump on it. I would even be willing to move Barrie in a package for Brown.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan7 View Post
I wouldnt mind seeing the Avs pick up either Ruutu or AK47, also wouldnt mind seeing us pick up a good Veteran player.

If we could package Galiardi and a 3rd, for a Top 6 guy I would do it, not sure if thats enough though.

If we could get Brown from LA for Jones, Galiardi, and a 2nd I would jump on it. I would even be willing to move Barrie in a package for Brown.
I think you could do something like Jones, Barrie and a 3rd for Brown and a salary dump.

Old
12-15-2011, 01:56 AM
Nihiliste

They should pick up penner for whatever cheap price it would cost and try him with stastny, can't hurt can it?

Old
12-15-2011, 02:04 AM
avsman

Id love to try to pry frolik out of chicago

Old
12-15-2011, 09:57 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 1935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
They should pick up penner for whatever cheap price it would cost and try him with stastny, can't hurt can it?
Penner is another player with all the characteristics that our management try to avoid.

Lazy, unmotivated, inconsistent.

Personally, I like the player's skillset(who doesn't?), but I can't see him being the type of player our management pursues.

Closed Thread