HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bubble Hockey Wings vs. Avs help needed:

Old
12-09-2011, 11:34 AM
mydogsparty
Bobby Orr #4

vCash: 500
Bubble Hockey Wings vs. Avs help needed:

I'm building a "Bubble Hockey Game" lineup between the Wings and the Avalanche and need a starting 6 for each team that captures essence of the 7-year Rivalry. I don't really care if forwards are out of position. The positions where I list more than one player, I'm really debating about who to put there. Here's what I have so far...

WINGS
c: Yzerman
w: Fedorov
w: McCarty* or Shanahan
d: Lidstrom
d: Konstantinov* or Chelios
g: Vernon* or Osgood or Hasek

AVALANCHE
c: Sakic
w: Forsberg
w: Lemieux* or Hejduk
d: Bourque* or Ozolinsh or Blake
d: Foote
g: Roy

* indicates that I'm leaning toward these guys

The Shanahan or McCarty decision is my toughest. Shanahan was such a key player and if you want the better of the two, obviously it's Shanahan but you gotta love McCarty for what he did for the rivalry by making Lemieux pay for the Draper hit.

I know some will frown on Bourque because he was essentially rented for less than 1.5 years. But I like including him because it was another reason the rivalry was great. To Detroit fans it was a joke that the Avs retired his number but he was a key player for Colorado fans. I'm sure if he would have went to the Wings and they win the cup, they would have loved him. Perhaps they wouldn't have retired his number but they would have loved him. The same but opposite applies to Vladdy for Avs fans.

Thoughts?

mydogsparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Not sure about the others, but Claude Lemieux is a must.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:54 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogsparty View Post
I'm building a "Bubble Hockey Game" lineup between the Wings and the Avalanche and need a starting 6 for each team that captures essence of the 7-year Rivalry. I don't really care if forwards are out of position. The positions where I list more than one player, I'm really debating about who to put there. Here's what I have so far...

WINGS
c: Yzerman
w: Fedorov
w: McCarty* or Shanahan
d: Lidstrom
d: Konstantinov* or Chelios
g: Vernon* or Osgood or Hasek

AVALANCHE
c: Sakic
w: Forsberg
w: Lemieux* or Hejduk
d: Bourque* or Ozolinsh or Blake
d: Foote
g: Roy

* indicates that I'm leaning toward these guys

The Shanahan or McCarty decision is my toughest. Shanahan was such a key player and if you want the better of the two, obviously it's Shanahan but you gotta love McCarty for what he did for the rivalry by making Lemieux pay for the Draper hit.

I know some will frown on Bourque because he was essentially rented for less than 1.5 years. But I like including him because it was another reason the rivalry was great. To Detroit fans it was a joke that the Avs retired his number but he was a key player for Colorado fans. I'm sure if he would have went to the Wings and they win the cup, they would have loved him. Perhaps they wouldn't have retired his number but they would have loved him. The same but opposite applies to Vladdy for Avs fans.

Thoughts?
Lemieux is def. a must, he is one of the main reasons that rivalry was so heated over the years. On the other side, I think McCarty represents the grinders on Detroit that also played a huge role in that matchup.

I personally relate Blake more with that franchise than I do either Bourque or Ozolinsh

I also feel like Osgood was the goalie who was there for the longest, so I would go with him

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:16 PM
HangFromRafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
Lemieux is def. a must, he is one of the main reasons that rivalry was so heated over the years. On the other side, I think McCarty represents the grinders on Detroit that also played a huge role in that matchup.

I personally relate Blake more with that franchise than I do either Bourque or Ozolinsh

I also feel like Osgood was the goalie who was there for the longest, so I would go with him
For the sake of rivalry, I'd go w/ McCarty for he, Draper and C. Lemieux caused the war between these two teams.

Agree w/ GG that Blake has got to be there over Bourque. Obviously he's not on Bourque's level but Borque was there a year and a half and really wasn't part of the animosity.

Tough choice in net - they all battled Roy! I'd lean towards Ozzy though

Its really tough to choose only a starting lineup for these two teams because each were deep, talent, and most if not the entire rosters of ea team threw punches.
Great memories

HangFromRafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:45 PM
sparr0w

I'd almost put Ozolinsh on there instead of either Bourque or Blake. He was part of all 3 Av teams that ousted the Wings. And it definitely has to be Konstantinov instead of Chelios. Even if only for this one play.

And Deadmarsh is in the running along with Claude, not Hejduk. Though Deadmarsh has extra bonus points for hatred because he also eliminated the Wings in '01 with the Kings, so that kind of bleeds over.

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Warfunkel

Avalanche fans hated Blake by the time he retired. As big a part as Bourque was in Colorado, he wasn't there long. Ozo was there for their first season, first cup and the beginning of the Colorado-Detroit Rivalry.

Warfunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:17 AM
mydogsparty
Bobby Orr #4

OK, I think I'm going with:

Yzerman - Sakic
Fedorov - Forsberg
McCarty - Lemieux
Lidstrom - Ozolinsh
Konstantinov - Foote
Vernon - Roy

Shanahan is the only one I feel really bad about leaving off.

mydogsparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:36 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

I think either Bourque or Ozolinsh are good choices, but Blake almost missed the rivalry.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 03:14 PM
silkyjohnson50*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogsparty View Post
OK, I think I'm going with:

Yzerman - Sakic
Fedorov - Forsberg
McCarty - Lemieux
Lidstrom - Ozolinsh
Konstantinov - Foote
Vernon - Roy

Shanahan is the only one I feel really bad about leaving off.
No, you got it right. Shanny was a big piece for Detroit, but not as big as Fedorov and Yzerman. And you simply can't leave McCarty off. Just like you can't leave Lemieux off.

And definitely Ozolinsh as the 2nd d-man for Colorado. Bourque doesn't even come to mind when i think about that Rivalry. The likes of Jon Klemm and Alexei Gusarov come to mind well before Bourque.

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

It should be

Shanahan - Yzerman - McCarty
Konstantinov - Lidström
Vernon or Osgood

vs.

Forsberg - Sakic - Lemieux