HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More moves to come?

Old
12-11-2011, 03:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
You really want to give up on Gill? Hes a big reason our PK is so strong, and our core is so tight within the locker room. IMO You keep Gill as long as you can
Im not sure Gill has the same influence as last year in the locker room and its not like we are seeing a pretty united team on the ice this year either.. The fact is, outside maybe Weber, Gill is our worst defenseman at even strength and is a liability 4 on 4.. I dont think his work on the PK is enough to compensate for his mediocre overall play.. I would add the fact that despite his big frame, he is soft as butter.. Personally I play Emelin and Diaz over him without any hesitation, both kids have been awesome lately..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 12-11-2011 at 03:56 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:48 PM
merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
How much ?
Well, if revenues end-up being shared as they are now in the NBA and NFL, this means going from a 57% to about a 50% share of revenues for the players. A quick estimate of the cap at those new levels is 56 mio. Increase in revenues have to be really high in order to compensate. If the players end up getting 53%, the cap would go to about 60. I think my bet is good.

merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:06 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
Well, if revenues end-up being shared as they are now in the NBA and NFL, this means going from a 57% to about a 50% share of revenues for the players. A quick estimate of the cap at those new levels is 56 mio. Increase in revenues have to be really high in order to compensate. If the players end up getting 53%, the cap would go to about 60. I think my bet is good.
I think the biggest debate will be revenues share and garanteed contracts. I think the players are gonna get only one of those two. Personally, I hope they get rid of the latter.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:30 PM
merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I think the biggest debate will be revenues share and garanteed contracts. I think the players are gonna get only one of those two. Personally, I hope they get rid of the latter.
I expect a mix of both, say a 53% revenue share and the right for a club to shed a contract every 2 years or something like that.

Not sure where I read this on the boards but Burke would like a way to transfer player and cash or cap space, making trades easier (and more fun for these boards....). I am sure that will also be on the table.

They may also want to get rid of the no movement clause....

Old
12-11-2011, 04:32 PM
HCH

Quote:
I expect a mix of both, say a 53% revenue share and the right for a club to shed a contract every 2 years or something like that.

Not sure where I read this on the boards but Burke would like a way to transfer player and cash or cap space, making trades easier (and more fun for these boards....). I am sure that will also be on the table.

They may also want to get rid of the no movement clause....

That was me... and I agree with your ideas. There needs to be some adjustments to the CBA

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Why is that so questionable? 7 Million/Year is an awful lot for a goalie.
It's an awful lot for any player... But when you have a star player, you hang onto him. Price would get 7 mil in a second on the open market.

Quote:
Even many Vezina, Jennings, and Conn Smythe winning-goalies don't make that kind of cash, and Price has won neither of those awards.
Not yet, no.

But Price just turned 24 and is on his 5th season already. To put that in perspective, last year he had a fantastic season at 23 years old... compare that to Henrik Lundqvist who only came into the league at 23 years old.... Price is well ahead of where he was and three years ago Lundqvist signed a six year deal in 2008 for 6.5 a season.

Pekka Rinne just signed 7 years for 7 mil a season.

How does Price not warrant 7 or more?

Quote:
Here are all the post-lockout Vezina Trophy winners, and their cap hits:

1. Mikka Kiprusoff - $ 5.833 million a year
2. Martin Brodeur - $ 5.2 million a year
3. Tim Thomas - $ 5 million a year
4. Ryan Miller - $ 6.25 million a year
Martin Brodeur has taken a lot of criticism from his own union for making sweetheart deals for years... you don't think he could've made more? Of course he could.

Kipper and Thomas were both strange cases where they had breakout seasons much later in their careers and Kipper only had a couple of great years. They don't compare with a 24 year old Price at all. As good as Thomas is, nobody would give him a fiver year contract at 7 mil per at his age...

Ryan Miller didn't even become a starter until he was 25. Think about what Price has done already and now think about the fact that if you compare them side by side, Price has another year to prove himself even more before we could even start looking at Miller.

Look at top goalies in the game right now
Luongo is only making 5.3 but it's for a ridiculous 12 years...
Pika Rinne (I'd take Price over him for sure) just signed at 7 mil per
Lundqvist (probably the best comparison and Price is ahead of his development as well) signed his deal 3 years ago for 6.5 for 6 years.

When you factor in his age, Price has accomplished more than pretty much any other goalie currently in the league (except Brodeur who's stats aren't as good but he had a cup) by the age of 24.

Quote:
The contracts that Poile has given to his top players really are outside the norm. I agree with WhiskeySeven that Nashville is making a mistake in having that much money tied up in two defensemen and a goalie (unless they were Orr, Harvey, and Roy, but they're not that good).

Price has typically been excellent for us, but that doesn't mean he deserves way more money than Tim Thomas or Marc-Andre Fleury.

Any more than $6 million/year for a goalie that's never won a Vezina, a Hart, a Jennings, a Stanely Cup, or a Conn Smythe, seems excessive to me.
He doesn't have those awards but then again he's been on crappy teams. You can't blame the guy for not winning a cup, that's silly. He's the main reason we even make the playoffs. He was only 23 last year and he had a fantastic season for us under enormous pressure in the hardest market in the world. What more does he need to do? They might as well rename the Molson Cup trophy the Carey Price Award.

And comparing him to Thomas is silly. Thomas was 34 and barely a million dollar player when he suddenly hit the jackpot. The Bruins weren't sure what they had with him and the very next season he lost his job to Rask... Now's he's turned back into Dominik Hasek. If the Bruins (and Thomas) had known this was going to happen I can assure you he'd be making a lot more money now. He's making a pittance at 5 million a season and if that's the measuring stick at what the best goalie in the league should be paid then I can tell you that the GMs will be laughing all the way to the bank. There's no way that's any kind of standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
It does me too, I think he'll get anywhere from 5.25 to 5.75 and be happy with that. That too would make me very happy. I don't see a 7million dollar offer coming and I don't see Price holding the team ransom to get it either.
Of course it would. It would make me ecstatic... that doesn't mean it should happen.

And I don't see how Price asking for 7 million is holding the team ransom. Hell, if I were him I'd throw Gomez's contract in management's face and say that I'm worth a hell of a lot more than that.... He's easily worth 7 mil and it's not ransom to ask for what you're actually worth.

Like I said, if he doesn't get AT LEAST 7 million then his agent needs to be shot.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 12-11-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
according to eklund, we got a deal in the works for this coming week
It mentions Edmonton and NYI talking as well.

Could Montreal pry Okposo from the Islanders?

Gomez Weber and a 1st for Okposo. He's kind of been a let down in Long Island.

2009-10 New York Islanders NHL 80 19 33 52 34 -23 -- -- -- -- --
2010-11 New York Islanders NHL 38 5 15 20 40 3 -- -- -- -- --
2011-12 New York Islanders NHL 24 4 6 10 6 -10

He could complete the third line with Eller and AK.

Pacioretty Desharnais Cole
Gionta Plekanec Cammalleri
AK Eller Okposo
Moen Nokelainen Darche / White

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It's an awful lot for any player... But when you have a star player, you hang onto him. Price would get 7 mil in a second on the open market.

Not yet, no.

But Price just turned 24 and is on his 5th season already. To put that in perspective, last year he had a fantastic season at 23 years old... compare that to Henrik Lundqvist who only came into the league at 23 years old.... Price is well ahead of where he was and three years ago he signed a deal in 2008 for 6.5 a season.

Martin Brodeur has taken a lot of criticism from his own union for making sweetheart deals for years... you don't think he could've made more? Of course he could.

Kipper and Thomas were both strange cases where they had breakout seasons much later in their careers and Kipper only had a couple of great years. They don't compare with a 24 year old Price at all. As good as Thomas is, nobody would give him a fiver year contract at 7 mil per at his age...

Ryan Miller didn't even become a starter until he was 25. Think about what Price has done already and now think about the fact that if you compare them side by side, Price has another year to prove himself even more before we could even start looking at Miller.

Lundqvist (probably the best comparison and Price is ahead of his development as well) signed his deal 3 years ago for 6.5 for 6 years.

When you factor in his age, Price has accomplished more than pretty much any other goalie currently in the league (except Brodeur who's stats aren't as good but he had a cup) by the age of 24.

He doesn't have those awards but then again he's been on crappy teams. You can't blame the guy for not winning a cup, that's silly. He's the main reason we even make the playoffs.

And comparing him to Thomas is silly. Thomas was 34 and barely a million dollar player when he suddenly hit the jackpot. The Bruins weren't sure what they had with him and the very next season he lost his job to Rask... Now's he's turned back into Dominik Hasek. If the Bruins (and Thomas) had known this was going to happen I can assure you he'd be making a lot more money now.

Of course it would. It would make me ecstatic... that doesn't mean it should happen.

And I don't see how Price asking for 7 million is holding the team ransom. Hell, if I were him I'd throw Gomez's contract in management's face and say that I'm worth a hell of a lot more than that....

Like I said, if he doesn't get AT LEAST 7 million then his agent needs to be shot.

Price's next contract will be comparable to what Pekka Rinne got.

Old
12-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post

AK Eller Okposo
I think we offer Ryder, Halak and a 2nd.

Old
12-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:

Not yet, no.

But Price just turned 24 and is on his 5th season already. To put that in perspective, last year he had a fantastic season at 23 years old... compare that to Henrik Lundqvist who only came into the league at 23 years old.... Price is well ahead of where he was and three years ago he signed a deal in 2008 for 6.5 a season.

He doesn't have those awards but then again he's been on crappy teams. You can't blame the guy for not winning a cup, that's silly. He's the main reason we even make the playoffs.

And comparing him to Thomas is silly. Thomas was 34 and barely a million dollar player when he suddenly hit the jackpot. The Bruins weren't sure what they had with him and the very next season he lost his job to Rask... Now's he's turned back into Dominik Hasek. If the Bruins (and Thomas) had known this was going to happen I can assure you he'd be making a lot more money now.

And I don't see how Price asking for 7 million is holding the team ransom. Hell, if I were him I'd throw Gomez's contract in management's face and say that I'm worth a hell of a lot more than that....

Price's next contract will be comparable to Pekka Rinne's

Old
12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
RC51

Quote:

AK Eller Okposo

that's two much.
Weber for Okposo
or Weber for Nino Niederreiter
is the proper deal

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:55 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Bets on ! Cap will NOT go down !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:05 PM
merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Bets on ! Cap will NOT go down !
We are about 7 months away, if CBA negotiations go well, of finding out...

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the cap will go up?

Old
12-11-2011, 07:12 PM
HCH

Quote:
AK Eller Okposo
Pleks with Cammy and Gionta doesn't work

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Haven't read what was said before your post about this, and don't know if it was mentioned, but if the cap goes down because players abdicate a % of total revenues, this means there will be a salary rollback across the board for existing contracts.

I don't think Fehr will ever accept giving up a % of total revenues. If I was part of the NHLPA, and we ended-up agreeing to that, I would want him fired. For the simple fact the NHL is making a good profit (unlike the NBA who were -300 mil), so they can't give the excuse of flailing teams in the sun belt, as players will tell them to increase revenue sharing and move some of the teams with financial problems.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:21 PM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
Gionta Plekanec --
AK Eller Okposo
Moen Nokelainen White
Trade Cammalleri Gomez and Weber for a 1st line winger and there you have it
Now you got a solid energetic 4th line that can crash the net, hit and fight.
Maybe we can get Parenteau too ?
Cammalleri, Gomez, Weber, 2nd round for Okposo and Parenteau ?

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:23 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Lafleurs Guy, I skip over your posts usually because you always sing the same tune, we all know it. But you really show your lack of hockey knowledge when you think that Price is going to carry a 7m cap hit. Carey Price, who has won 3 playoff series(or 2?) in his career and no individual awards. Montreal is not Nashville, they've never had to to overpay to keep their players in a ****** market.

Price is less proven than Luongo was when he signed his deal, or Lundqvist and his deal.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Lions999

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovehalgill View Post
Trade Cammalleri Gomez and Weber for a 1st line winger and there you have it
Now you got a solid energetic 4th line that can crash the net, hit and fight.
Maybe we can get Parenteau too ?
Cammalleri, Gomez, Weber, 2nd round for Okposo and Parenteau ?
Cammy Weber Palushaj for Okposo and Matt Martin...

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Cammy Weber Palushaj for Okposo and Matt Martin...
Martin is LW, we need RW.

Old
12-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Lafleurs Guy, I skip over your posts usually because you always sing the same tune, we all know it. .
Aw shucks... thanks man. That's really cool of you to say.

Quote:
But you really show your lack of hockey knowledge when you think that Price is going to carry a 7m cap hit. Carey Price, who has won 3 playoff series(or 2?) in his career and no individual awards. Montreal is not Nashville, they've never had to to overpay to keep their players in a ****** market.
Really? So we don't have to overpay for players? Do we just do it for fun then?
Quote:
Price is less proven than Luongo was when he signed his deal, or Lundqvist and his deal.
Luongo's deal is a ridiculous 12 year mess... no team should do this no matter how good the player is. As for Lundqvist, keep in mind that deal was done three years ago. Salaries have gone up since then and Price actually has better upside.

24 year old goalie on mediocre teams who already has over 100 wins, is perpetually our player of the month and is top five at his position in the hardest place to play in the entire world... If we lose him, we're basically screwed. Yes, he's going to get 7+.

Only way this doesn't happen is if he's still an RFA (I haven't looked to see if he would be) and the team is stupid and tries to exploit him. I think we're smarter than this.

7+, Book it.

Old
12-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
[/B]

Price's next contract will be comparable to Pekka Rinne's
I think so. And is there anyone here who wouldn't take Price over him?

Old
12-11-2011, 08:36 PM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
Aw shucks... thanks man. That's really cool of you to say.

24 year old goalie on mediocre teams who already has over 100 wins, is perpetually our player of the month and is top five at his position in the hardest place to play in the entire world... Yes, he's going to get 7+.

Only way this doesn't happen is if he's still an RFA (I haven't looked to see if he would be) and the team is stupid and tries to exploit him. I think we're smarter than this.

7+, Book it.
I think he'll get 5.5 and be happy with it.

Old
12-11-2011, 08:37 PM
subbang76
I CAN SPEAK FRENCH!

Montreal:
Cammalleri
Gomez
Campoli
2nd 2012
5th 2012

Islanders:
Tavares

subbang76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Lafleurs Guy, I skip over your posts usually because you always sing the same tune, we all know it. But you really show your lack of hockey knowledge when you think that Price is going to carry a 7m cap hit. Carey Price, who has won 3 playoff series(or 2?) in his career and no individual awards. Montreal is not Nashville, they've never had to to overpay to keep their players in a ****** market.

And the fact Rinne was UFA-to-be, while Price is RFA-to-be. I bet he thinks Rinne is something like 25-26 years old because he's been in the league for only 5 seasons, but he's actually 29 years old...... came in the league at 24.

Rinne is a really bad comparative, FA status plays a huge role. Fleury is a much better comparables. But don't look to him to realize this.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 12-11-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:41 PM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbang76 View Post
Montreal:
Cammalleri
Gomez
Campoli
2nd 2012
5th 2012

Islanders:
Tavares

Who will he replace ? You got pleks, desharnais and eller...