HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomas Kaberle for Jaroslav Spacek - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
Just saw Gauthier's press conference...my god is this guy ever ****ing delusional.

This team is going no where with him. We need someone whos not satisfied with finishing 8th every year.
We will never fully tank, as evidenced by this move, so...

8th>10th or 11th. This move should help us this season. Maybe we can flip Kabs at the deadline

Old
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
I'm convinced that Gauthier could trade Gomez for Sidney Crosby straight up and you'd still have people complaining.
Crosby makes more money than Gomez. Why are we taking on salary when we need to re-sign Price and Subban next year?

Old
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
If anything Kaberle is an upgrade over Spacek. He's bigger, faster, better puck mobility, and he's 4 years younger. So, the habs just got bigger and younger with that trade. Isn't that what everyone complains about on these boards? Kaberle has one other glaring advantage over Spacek. He's healthy.
Spacek has been a non-entity because of his injuries so it doesn't matter that much, but I would say he's better defensively than Kaberle. Kaberle has a reputation of avoiding contact completely, and has been accused of not putting any effort in defensively for a few years now.

Maybe a change of scenery will help though. Supposedly he came into the season with no motivation, perhaps playing with a friend in Plekanec in a hockey market will wake up him.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:38 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
No worries haha. Gaborik's been in the league a long time so I was surprised too when I saw he was only 2 years older than Parise.
Gaborik's been around so long I honestly thought he was in his early 30's. Doesn't help that Parise was drafted late either.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Subnordi

We NEED to get rid of Gomez!! I was on his side to start the season, and truly beleived he would pull out of his slump. But he hasn't. Imagine if we could just trade him for prospects or picks.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta
Cammalleri-Desharnais-Cole
Kostitsyn-Eller-Leblanc
Moen-Nokelinen-Blunden
13tharche

Kaberle-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Campoli-Emelin
7thiaz

Old
12-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Crosby makes more money than Gomez. Why are we taking on salary when we need to re-sign Price and Subban next year?
And even then, we can only sign one of them because we need cap space. We always need cap space. Players, meh.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:42 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Crazy, isn't it, people have opinions that aren't the same as yours.
Wow you could have said that to any poster on this board and yet you choose to tell this to one of 10 people who doesn't think like you. You must be proud to have the most popular opinion don't you?

Old
12-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
: laugh:
EPIC POST

I peed a little as I laughed so hard.

you sir are so right

Old
12-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
What did he say?
Paraphrasing here but he praised Kaberle's play in Boston and stated how quickly he adapted there. Everyone with half a brain knows that's complete ********.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:47 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
So I was coming home from work and I heard that the Habs traded for Kaberle and the first thought that popped into my mind was: "Fire Gauthier"

We need to get rid of this guy before he completely messes up the habs à la Réjean Houle.
plus we lose nearly 4 million in cap space needed for PRICE and others

Old
12-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Winner.

This sums up today's general thoughts on the trade.

Honestly, I started off saying.. CAP SPACE BLAH BLAH BLAH.. But man, today we are a better than with Kabs than we are with Spacek. Let's worry about the Summer when it comes. Things can and will be changed so that we get Price/Subban and Gorges signed. Let's worry about it when it comes.

Anyway. The beauty of this forum.. tomorrow there will be a new opinion on Kabs [if he plays].. good or bad.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:49 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
Just saw Gauthier's press conference...my god is this guy ever ****ing delusional.

This team is going no where with him. We need someone whos not satisfied with finishing 8th every year.
I believe it is you who is delusional if you think PG is going to make a trade and not think it was a good move. I refuse to believe that what players, coaches, GMs say to the media is what they are actually thinking.

In your eyes trading for Kaberle was a bad idea? I am not that happy he has 2 years left, but we need him right now. Sure he hasn't looked good in Carolina or Boston, but that doesn't mean much to me. He was very capable for years with Toronto and I hope he can find his game again.

It's evident that we are just on diffrent sides of the spectrum, I choose to be positive and you choose to be negative. For this year alone, this trade is good. We get an upgrade without losing anything. Next year... is well next year and we can talk about that come (insert date in which the offseason begins)

Old
12-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaFranks View Post
Two part question.

1. How do you know that?
Not it's not that I "know" anything, it's that anything I expect comes from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaFranks View Post
2. What would Kaberle have to do to warrant his 4M next year or the year after?
As the league conditions change yearly, I submit that the "criteria" would also. As per usual, I would suggest it would be part peer comparison (i.e. production/role/whatever compared to those in a similar cap bracket/role/whatever). There would also be an element of direction (i.e. weighing development, importance/possibility of short term success - defined obviously as "legitimate contender" or not, etc.) There would then be a question of what does that mean for anyone that may be in development, to whom giving that icetime might make more "sense" (any time between now and 2014, I guess) in the context of the team's goals, aspirations, expectations, and the like; as already discussed in Diaz/Emelin/Weber threads. And it goes on from there in decreasing degrees of importance, I suppose... imo, of course.

Suffice to say, in the end, I expressed my opinion in the previous post.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Very disappointing to see so many quality posters here slamming the trade. Kaberle is just a step down from Markov(who is hockey god around here). The difference between Kaberle and Markov is well simple, Kaberle is playing Saturday and Markov is not. Who cares about his cap hit next two seasons we either trade him or we get other pieces. It is not every day you can get a 50 point dman for Spacek. Gauthier did good here, help the team today worry about tomorrow later. Kaberle is not having a good season but he would be third in points on our D. FFs wake up and see it for what it is, Subban cannot play 30 mins a game, neither can Gorges. 5 on 5 put Kaberle with Emelin and let Kaberle run the PP, it is all good.
I don't think that you'll find one neutral fan that doesnt think we got screwed in this deal. It must tell something...

Old
12-09-2011, 07:51 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Same cap paranoia when we locked in 3 overpaid forwards for 5 years and Spacek for 3 . Screwed for 5 years yadi yadi yada.

Well year 3 in and we've managed to resign Plekanec, Price, Markov, Gorges, AK, Pacioretty on top of adding a 4.5 million dollar Eric Cole.

Crunch time again this summer? Sure, but I'm not paid to manage this team's cap so until they actually loose a core player as a direct result of these bloated contracts, and I personally haven't seen it yet, there's no reason to freak out.

There are plenty of teams in cap hell till they find away around it.

Bottom line of what happened here today, we desperately needed a PP QB, we got one at no cost. Amazing.
And we suck, so what's your point.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:53 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
What did he say?
He didn't cry and moan that the team is horrible. Clearly trying to show confidence is a terrible thing for a GM to do!

Old
12-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Aznrx8

Funny thing that before he went to Boston everyone dreamed of having him and Markov on the same team lol

Old
12-09-2011, 07:55 PM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

If we are starting a 'pro Kaberle for Spacek club' can I be the leader?

Rewind to last year's trade deadline. If you would have told me we could get Kaberle for Spacek I would've either laughed or asked what you were smoking and if I could get some.

This is a good move.

Make moves and deal with the cap later is what all GMs have said since it came into place. Molson met with Gomez and his agent earlier this year for a reason. We will deal with Gomez's contract and Kaberle's won't look nearly as bad without the added weight of Gomez's on top of it.

Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Subban
Gill/Campoli-Gorges

tell me that's not a great defence?

Old
12-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Ollie Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznrx8 View Post
Funny thing that before he went to Boston everyone dreamed of having him and Markov on the same team lol
I wouldn't put both Kabs and Markov on the same PP unit but even I wanted both on the team.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
That's a loaded question: it quite obviously doesn't make it easier, but your question presupposes that having Kaberle's contract makes it impossible to deal with those signings. It doesn't, which was the poster's original point.
Which is why I said: "unless there is more in the mix" - i.e. some sort of "plan" where they've already "figured out" how it should play out. And thusly, I don't see how it makes things easier, nor fits into what this team is trying (or likely) to achieve. So yeah, I guess it was an open invitation to explore either way.

Old
sheed36

Kypreos and Maclean were pretty much ripping on the Habs taking Kaberle and his contract on hockeycentral too.. Other than some on this board and Rutherford of course is there anyone in the hockey world who likes this move at all? All I've seen from hockey people out there as been mostly negative toward the Habs picking up Kaberle..

I'd say it's a good incentive for Kabs to show them they're all wrong and the Habs made the right choice..

Old
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
And we suck, so what's your point.
Get better today, worry about the cap later. That's his point.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:57 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
Wow you could have said that to any poster on this board and yet you choose to tell this to one of 10 people who doesn't think like you. You must be proud to have the most popular opinion don't you?
Wow, but not everyone was making blanket statements about the entire fan base were they?

Old
12-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 677
10 months ago, this trade would have been considered like the best ever for the Habs.

I know things can change, but unlike the Gomez trade, the worst that can happen with this one is that we lose some cap space for 2 years. And even if Kaberle sucks, he'll be overpaid by 3 millions, not 6.5 like Gomez.

I think it's a good trade.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I believe it is you who is delusional if you think PG is going to make a trade and not think it was a good move. I refuse to believe that what players, coaches, GMs say to the media is what they are actually thinking.

In your eyes trading for Kaberle was a bad idea? I am not that happy he has 2 years left, but we need him right now. Sure he hasn't looked good in Carolina or Boston, but that doesn't mean much to me. He was very capable for years with Toronto and I hope he can find his game again.

It's evident that we are just on diffrent sides of the spectrum, I choose to be positive and you choose to be negative. For this year alone, this trade is good. We get an upgrade without losing anything. Next year... is well next year and we can talk about that come (insert date in which the offseason begins)
Which is the reason why I changed my mind as the day progressed. Yet, it's not because sometimes you have that idea that we improved the team RIGHT NOW that it automatically makes it a great deal. When we acquired Gomez, it made us a better team. Yet, people saw it as a dumb trade the day it happened. Thanks to what we gave. Thanks also to the fact that Gomez was not liked by everybody as well.

In today's trade, you don't have the McDonaugh factor. You don't even have the 2nd round pick factor. Which in the end makes it a good deal for the present. We'll see for the future. But people needs to freakin respect the initial shock factor. I would have made a poll to ask who wants Kaberle for free, and I'm sure it wouldn't have been a majority.

I'm really really eager to see Markov and Kaberle work together at some point. Not only you'd have 2 good passers on the back end, and a good underrated shooter in Markov, but it should create so much space around the net that guys like Cammy would benefit from it.

I've rarely if not never done it. But I changed my mind. Good deal.

Closed Thread