HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tomas Kaberle for Jaroslav Spacek - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Gaston Gingras

vCash: 500
Pierre Gautier you are killing our team!!!!
If we look at our future...very dark
useless players with big contract

Old
12-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Schwang

We didn't get Kaberle to kill penalties or to score. We got him for his ability to dish the puck as a PP quaterback. That's exactly what he's gonna bring. He won't be killing penalties. Ya, he might make mistakes, but so did Wiz and Mab. But they brought it on the PP. So will Kaberle. He'll get Cammy, Gio, Pleks, Ak, etc going on the PP.

Old
icerocket

So I was coming home from work and I heard that the Habs traded for Kaberle and the first thought that popped into my mind was: "Fire Gauthier"

We need to get rid of this guy before he completely messes up the habs à la Réjean Houle.

Old
DumFries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
On the bright side... Kaberle (like Cole) was always lights out when playing against us, several times in his tenure in Toronto he single handedly won games over us. Obviously Gauthier's plan is to acquire as many Habs killers as possible, next pick up? RJ Umberger.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see RJ Umberger in Mtl.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:12 PM
LastRide

Habs need more offensive help. All they do is deal for more defensemen.

Old
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post
Pierre Gautier you are killing our team!!!!
If we look at our future...very dark
useless players with big contract
The real "future" of this team starts when the Kaberle contract ends. So I would say our future looks very bright considering all the contracts that expire at the same time.

Old
Lshap

Impossible to judge this trade yet. So much depends on how a player fits with a team's system and vibe in the locker room. We saw Wiz go from being a minus-19 defenseman on an awful team to a bonafide presence on ours. We saw Halak ride his superstar wave with us into a slide to mediocrity in St-Louis. We're watching Cole play even stronger with us than Carolina. And then there's Gomez. Point is, a player's performance depends much more on chemistry than numbers. Let's see how Kaberle's first date goes with us.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Sigh. I'm just getting the news now. Love that Spacek is gone, but Kaberle? I remember when he was good. It was just a couple of years ago... Nothing like picking up a past-his-prime vet in the midst of the worst season of his career, who also gets a raise from his already high salary each of the next two years. Thought Spacek's $3.8M looked bad this year? Wait until you see Kaberle's $4.25M next year/the year after. I'm just waiting to hear that Gauthier also threw in a draft pick/prospect to "seal the deal". Would be par for the course.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:14 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
So the geniuses in millions, what would you've done this morning if you were in PG shoes after the loss to vancouver, beside sending gomez to the minors? Trade a 7th round in 2020 for the wiz?
I would have given Campoli a shot on the PP before strapping the team with a hefty contract. And I would have worked Spacek back in for defense. Npw the Habs gained perhaps offensively but lost defensively.

Now if Markov happens to be gone permanently then I think it's a most excellent deal.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:15 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Impossible to judge this trade yet. So much depends on how a player fits with a team's system and vibe in the locker room. We saw Wiz go from being a minus-19 defenseman on an awful team to a bonafide presence on ours. We saw Halak ride his superstar wave with us into a slide to mediocrity in St-Louis. We're watching Cole play even stronger with us than Carolina. And then there's Gomez. Point is, a player's performance depends much more on chemistry than numbers. Let's see how Kaberle's first date goes with us.
If he's anything like Cole, he will play as good for us as he did against us. He stands out as one of the best players against the Habs in the last 6-7 seasons IMO.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I like the move, it is a gamble but we never gambled a thing with gainey and we had **** for years. Kaberle hasn't forgotten how to play, you guys don't see how high the upside on this trade could possibly be.

Think about it, trades wake players up and if Kaberle wakes up we just got a top pairing offensive dman for an injured UFA that always sucked! Good gamble in my eyes.
He was traded to Boston and regressed a little. HE then signed in Carolina and just **** the bed completely. I guess he can't get much worse than he is at the moment but risking over 4 million of your cap on a player that hasn't done really much of anything since leaving Toronto is a big risk that could really hurt.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I would have given Campoli a shot on the PP before strapping the team with a hefty contract. And I would have worked Spacek back in for defense. Npw the Habs gained perhaps offensively but lost defensively.

Now if Markov happens to be gone permanently then I think it's a most excellent deal.
Technically we gained a dman for one that wasn't even in the lineup.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Jerky

Kaberle's new nickname: Ex-Lax

He makes the crap you have softer!

Old
12-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
What makes me laugh is seeing Gauthier talking to the media about the trade and he's looking so happy and so proud of him of pulling off that trade.

And futhermore, he tries to convinced us that Kaberle was a big part of the bruins during the playoffs with he's incredible play.

Ladies and gentelman, we have a hell of a GM.
Hahaha. Hahahahahaha. Hahahahahahahaha.

That's gold. I remember him being so "incredible" that he was getting rookie 3rd pairing minutes for most of the Philly, TB, AND Vancouver series'. I also remember him being so horrible on the PP, that leaning on him there left the Bruins with one of the worst PP%s in the playoffs (something like 10%).

Old
12-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Absolutely horrible trade for the Habs.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:21 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Future future future.The fans should carpe diem their ass a little.

People complaining about the future are the same who complain because the team sucks NOW.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:22 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Technically we gained a dman for one that wasn't even in the lineup.
Well sure but Spacek was playing decent hockey and about ready to come back. The idea is to improve the team, right? The Habs are not in a playoff spot. Just saying I would have given it a try when it was to happen anyway. Rutherford must have told Gauthier he had another taker and Gauthier bit. LOL

Old
12-09-2011, 05:23 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Hahaha. Hahahahahaha. Hahahahahahahaha.

That's gold. I remember him being so "incredible" that he was getting rookie 3rd pairing minutes for most of the Philly, TB, AND Vancouver series'. I also remember him being so horrible on the PP, that leaning on him there left the Bruins with one of the worst PP%s in the playoffs (something like 10%).
It has already been hashed over a dozen times that Boston's PP was crap all season before Kaberle even arrived.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Punkeater

I think Kaberle will be a good fit in Montreal, he was playing better lately too.

And Jim Rutherford that said he made a mistake by picking up Kaberle this summer saying he had a short summer and wasn't in good shape at the training camp. I just wanna say thanks to Rutherford for saying this. This could be an extra motivation to Kaberle to prove him wrong!
We'll see! Anyway, we all know why we got Kaberle... he'll be ask to run the powerplay and right now, our powerplay cannot be worse than it is right now. So we should see an upgrade.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
He was traded to Boston and regressed a little. HE then signed in Carolina and just **** the bed completely. I guess he can't get much worse than he is at the moment but risking over 4 million of your cap on a player that hasn't done really much of anything since leaving Toronto is a big risk that could really hurt.
If he had 5 years on his contract i would be ****ing pissed. But two isn't THAT bad and in the end his contract will expire with the ones of Gomez , Gio ,Cammy ect. The truth is that we can't rebuild until all those contracts run out and that is at least 2 years from now. Until then we can only do patch jobs and try to get some youth via draft , trade ect to prepare the rebuild. We already have a couple of good pieces for that in Pacioretty , Subban and Price.

And one of the most important thing is that Gauthier , Martin and co shouldn't be anywhere near this team in 2 years so that we can start from scratch or close to and have a change of philosophy. This is a must as far as i'm concerned. Get guys in there who know what they are ****ing doing and not some creampuffs who don't beleive in thoughness and are all bout X's and O's and emontionless boring hockey.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:27 PM
HCH

Kaberle needs to get off to a quick start with the Habs. If he flounders on defense and the PP remains ineffective, he will quickly become as popular as Scott Gomez.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Well sure but Spacek was playing decent hockey and about ready to come back. The idea is to improve the team, right? The Habs are not in a playoff spot. Just saying I would have given it a try when it was to happen anyway. Rutherford must have told Gauthier he had another taker and Gauthier bit. LOL
Yeah but you can't rely on a guy like Spacek because you don't know if :

1) He will suck

or

2) He will be injured

Old
12-09-2011, 05:28 PM
le_sean

I wonder if Nokelainen will give him #15 since Kaberle is set to stay here another 2 seasons. He looks odd with other numbers on his back.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiminister View Post
Absolutely horrible trade for the Habs.
At least we didn't have to give up a 1st rounder like the Gomez trade LOL

Old
12-09-2011, 05:29 PM
NotProkofievian

I don't think most of you knee-jerk cynics really realize what an impact not having a PP QB has had on our team. Finishers are asked to be set up men, and get out of position for when there is actually a decent pass put in their wheel-house. Set up men are asked to be finishers and their "go to guys" are all out of position when they get the puck.

What I want out of this? Cammi to set up a lawn chair on the right face-off dot on the PP, Cole and Patches to park their big ***** in front of the net and stay there until the PP is over one way or another, and Subban eating up passes from Kabs and AK all day long, going opposite top corner.

This is an ideal situation for Kaberle right now.

Closed Thread