Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Shane Doan with Pevs and Kelly

Old
12-09-2011, 05:43 PM
corpfan1

vCash: 500
Shane Doan with Pevs and Kelly

Sick of Pouliot as our 3rd line winger...

Thinking Doan would be a perfect fit in his spot (he is UFA next year).

Would it be worth making a pitch here?

Pouliot can be our 13th forward...

Thinking prospects/draft picks...

corpfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

The Coyotes are a playoff team. He might not be for sale.

if I was the Coyotes, I'd GFIN knowing that the only thing to do right now is build the franchise value as much as possible in order to get a buyer.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Seguin

Pouliot's been getting better.

I wont say I don't wanna upgrade that 3rd line spot, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it. Doan's a guy you're probably going to have to pay a price on. I steer clear of giving up our 1st, Hamilton, Knight, Spooner, or Koko in a deadline deal

Seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Doan also has a NMC.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:49 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

That would really slow the line down.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Really really doubt he would waive his NMC.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

its a no brainer for any contending team to pick up doan if all it costs is picks/prospects that dont hurt to give up

but he loves phoenix and is one of those guys that would rather stay where he is for his family then accept a trade just for a chance to win some hockey games.

and if he does go on the market... teams will be willing to pay more then just useless picks/prospects for him... he would be one of the top 2-3 most valuable pieces to move and a potential difference maker for some team's cup run. he is a legit first line stud when he is healthy that can produce a ppg pace while playing strong 2-way hockey with some edge

personally... id say if we did make a deal for him... he logically fits with bergeron and marchand for what becomes our shut down line... then seguin probably ends up with kelly and peverly looking to take advantage of mismatches against the other team's third line... and i love it

just isnt going to happen sadly

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:18 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

You don't acquire Doan with plans of him being a 3rd line winger. I'd love to have him but IMO moving our key prospects wouldn't be a good idea. I'd rather add a good cheap vet winger and dman at the deadline for depth and that's about it. BTW Pouliot has been pretty good.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:37 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
corp:

this isn't the experiment where Boston rented Derek Morris for 2 years +, then was returned there.

Doan, for all intents and purposes, is equivalent to Seguin, Marchand, Bergeron, Chara, because he is their leader, add in the contract clause, and even if tht clause wasn't there, it's like Bourque before he asked to be traded to Colorado, Doan's one of those icons... Sakic back in his days before they arrived in Colorado, another example....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:14 PM
bbfan419

Doan is a good player and would look good in a B's uniform, but the cost would be too much, no way I trade our 1st or top prospects like Hamilton, Koko, Knight, Spooner. I would be ok giving up one or two of Alexandrov, Caron, Pouilot, Hamil etc... but the Yotes would want more, Maybe R.J. Umberger would be had cheaper once the Jackets fall out of the race completlely, plus RJ is a habs killer would love him with Pevs and Kelly

bbfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:57 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
Of all the people to crap on right now, for me, its not Pouliot. He has honestly been playing pretty well with Peverley and Kelly, and to be honest I like him right now.

He has a physical element to his game, and can shoot pretty well as we have seen.

Not sure if I feel the need to move anyone at this point. Im a little disappointed in Horton but thats about it

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

Nothing against Doan but upgrade on Corvo, ..............pleeeeeeeeeeease.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
If he's willing to be traded at the deadline and the Coyotes are far out of the playoff race, I'd be happy to see Chia go big time for him. I've always wanted to see him on the Bruins, he's basically the definition of one. I doubt he'll be traded though. Plus, Pouliot has been playing great as of late.

I do agree ^, if we want to go far in the playoffs get a better PMD first.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:42 PM
nonoffensiveusername

Pouliot's been playing real well lately. Don't know which games you've been watching.

nonoffensiveusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:49 PM
MoeLemay

He's like Iggy too old.

MoeLemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:43 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post
Sick of Pouliot as our 3rd line winger...

Thinking Doan would be a perfect fit in his spot (he is UFA next year).

Would it be worth making a pitch here?

Pouliot can be our 13th forward...

Thinking prospects/draft picks...
Your getting sick of a guy who`s clearly showing a higher level of comfort in this system, plays with hustle each shift, has contributed a bit lately too, all for barely over a million bucks??? Sorry, I`m always up for making the team better, but Doan would be far too pricey, he`d be far too homesick, and although it appears as though he`d be a good leader, I`m not sure this team requires more leadership.

2 game skid after an insane November and the proposals start with, yet again, an easy scapegoat in Pouliot without a mention of an invisible Horton, only in Bruin land

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:45 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
If he's willing to be traded at the deadline and the Coyotes are far out of the playoff race, I'd be happy to see Chia go big time for him. I've always wanted to see him on the Bruins, he's basically the definition of one. I doubt he'll be traded though. Plus, Pouliot has been playing great as of late.

I do agree ^, if we want to go far in the playoffs get a better PMD first.
You`d be comfortable with Chia going for it "big time" with a proposal for Doan?? Chia just lost out on picks and a prospect with the Kabby experiment, he won`t make that mistake again unless it`s for a guy who`ll bring it every shift and would be a significant upgrade/help for this team, not sure Doan is it.

Sorry, if I`m going for it, I`m doing so by proposing something to a team for a player along the lines of a Parise, THAT, for me is "going for it"

Old
12-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
You`d be comfortable with Chia going for it "big time" with a proposal for Doan?? Chia just lost out on picks and a prospect with the Kabby experiment, he won`t make that mistake again unless it`s for a guy who`ll bring it every shift and would be a significant upgrade/help for this team, not sure Doan is it.

Sorry, if I`m going for it, I`m doing so by proposing something to a team for a player along the lines of a Parise, THAT, for me is "going for it"
im pretty sure that teams with a good chance to win a cup are always willing to deal off a pick or two... a good prospect or two to get their cup and they dont regret it.

whether its calgary losing bret hull or dallas losing jarome iginla or colorado making an attempt to get theo fleury to put them over the top and falling short while losing robyn regher there is a long and proven history that teams will be willing to lose bonafide allstars and hall of famers to win a cup and still make the same deal again if faced with the choice a second time.

everyyear there are around 10-12 teams that make deadline moves to try to win the cup or go deeper into the playoffs... and there is only 1 cup winner... so the second guessing fan base of 9-11 teams can complain about the moves when the dust settles. this is just the way it works. teams need to tell their fan base that they are in the playoff hunt all year so they never start advertising the players that they are going to make available for the upcoming deadline at this time of year... so there is no buildup of anticipation being generated among the buying teams...

so the buying teams keep their mouths shut about what they want cause there is no upside to talking about things that might not happen.

this all allows the fans of prospects and picks to have their happy moment as they talk about past failed deals and tell us that our gm has learned his lesson and wont make more deals of picks/prospects for more tomas karberle's and sergei gonchar's

i cant be sure there will be a deal this year but it sure seems likely there will be. our team has left a huge amount of cap space unspent. if we dont win the cup and dont make any move also then there will be massive amounts of bad pr generated. the club will get roaded for being 'cheap'

the window to win is way too small in the cap era to leave your powder unspent. there may be one or two prospects that the team feels is untouchable for a pure 'rental' to put us over the top, but if the right move is available im pretty sure that things like our first rounder or names like spooner and caron will not be off the table for discussion.

and its good. maybe detroit and jersey and colorado all lost 1-2-3 very good young players over their past couple decades of success in their efforts to win a cup for their fan base... but these are the franchises we all wish we were. Whether it was an adam oates being moved for a bernie ferderko or a brenden shanahan being sacraficed for a scott stevens signing or a young mats sundin being moved for an aged wendell clark... these teams all repeatedly were willing to move young hall of fame prospect types for the right pieces to give them a cup win and even when it didnt work they just reloaded and made another move the next year anyhow

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 06:35 AM
BruinsPortugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
Nothing against Doan but upgrade on Corvo, ..............pleeeeeeeeeeease.
Word!

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 06:45 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
im pretty sure that teams with a good chance to win a cup are always willing to deal off a pick or two... a good prospect or two to get their cup and they dont regret it.

whether its calgary losing bret hull or dallas losing jarome iginla or colorado making an attempt to get theo fleury to put them over the top and falling short while losing robyn regher there is a long and proven history that teams will be willing to lose bonafide allstars and hall of famers to win a cup and still make the same deal again if faced with the choice a second time.

everyyear there are around 10-12 teams that make deadline moves to try to win the cup or go deeper into the playoffs... and there is only 1 cup winner... so the second guessing fan base of 9-11 teams can complain about the moves when the dust settles. this is just the way it works. teams need to tell their fan base that they are in the playoff hunt all year so they never start advertising the players that they are going to make available for the upcoming deadline at this time of year... so there is no buildup of anticipation being generated among the buying teams...

so the buying teams keep their mouths shut about what they want cause there is no upside to talking about things that might not happen.

this all allows the fans of prospects and picks to have their happy moment as they talk about past failed deals and tell us that our gm has learned his lesson and wont make more deals of picks/prospects for more tomas karberle's and sergei gonchar's

i cant be sure there will be a deal this year but it sure seems likely there will be. our team has left a huge amount of cap space unspent. if we dont win the cup and dont make any move also then there will be massive amounts of bad pr generated. the club will get roaded for being 'cheap'

the window to win is way too small in the cap era to leave your powder unspent. there may be one or two prospects that the team feels is untouchable for a pure 'rental' to put us over the top, but if the right move is available im pretty sure that things like our first rounder or names like spooner and caron will not be off the table for discussion.

and its good. maybe detroit and jersey and colorado all lost 1-2-3 very good young players over their past couple decades of success in their efforts to win a cup for their fan base... but these are the franchises we all wish we were. Whether it was an adam oates being moved for a bernie ferderko or a brenden shanahan being sacraficed for a scott stevens signing or a young mats sundin being moved for an aged wendell clark... these teams all repeatedly were willing to move young hall of fame prospect types for the right pieces to give them a cup win and even when it didnt work they just reloaded and made another move the next year anyhow
Chia won't dispose of more picks again after last season's payment for Kabby, I'm thinking the B's don't even have a 2nd rounder let alone giving up a 1st???

Sorry, outside of stat watching, I'm challenging the crowd here as to whom has actually watched Doan play anytime recently??? He is decent, but he isn't near the Doan of years gone by.

Old
12-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I be Phoenix would love Lucic as well.

But that wont happen either.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

The Bruins will absolutely deal their first if they think it improves the team enough in the near term. THey've only done it every year since they drafted Caron.

I get the impression that Chia has decided that as a matter of policy, it's safe to consider the first round pick more valuable as a pick, than the players you can get for it late in the first round. And that the best way to get good value out of a late first when you have a strong core, is to deal it to a team who's rebuilding and has more room for the kind of prospects you can score with a late first.

Old
12-10-2011, 12:01 PM
BackBringCam

I was in Phoenix last year and sat on the glass (20 bucks!!!), the only thing Doan doesn't do for that team is drive the Zamboni, a guy lost in the Western Conference unfortunately

BackBringCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:17 PM
bbfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
The Bruins will absolutely deal their first if they think it improves the team enough in the near term. THey've only done it every year since they drafted Caron.

I get the impression that Chia has decided that as a matter of policy, it's safe to consider the first round pick more valuable as a pick, than the players you can get for it late in the first round. And that the best way to get good value out of a late first when you have a strong core, is to deal it to a team who's rebuilding and has more room for the kind of prospects you can score with a late first.

They have traded their first each of the last two years, because they had 2 -first round picks, they kept the Toronto picks as they knew it would be higher picks, so felt comfortable dealing away their own. The only way they move their first this year is if they are getting a very good player and one is not well over 30 already.

bbfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I disagree on the basis that they've done most of their damage in the second round anyway. If anything maybe they package their pick and move up.