HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Welcome to the 4-0-7-7th MASH

Old
12-10-2011, 11:55 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Yeah, I think Sczchehura earns the first line center spot by default and I don't wanna break up Adam-Leino.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I wasn't able to watch last night, but I saw the replay this morning. Decent game. I think they can use it as a stepping stone going forward, though that thought is marred a bit with yet more injuries incurred. If they can build off the game and put forth consistent if unimpressive performances, the team will be in good shape as the active roster situation normalizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Bill Hoppe
#Sabres Also, sounds like Corey Tropp isn't doing well. Lindy also unhappy with Marc-Andre Gragnani's play.

Sweet, only took 30 games for Lindy to figure out Grags is bad.
Sucks for Corey. He brings a lot of what the team needs, especially when Kaleta is out. And nuts to Ruff for even bothering to say that when in the previous game Grags, aside from making several other poor plays, blows the game in OT. I'd have rather seen him play 3 forwards than Grags in OT at this point.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:33 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
My bad, one of the few games I couldn't watch this year. Point still stands, we go out of our way to set him up tons of times and he constantly misses.
Yep. Not sure what happened. His shot was superb in pre-season; now he looks like late-Sabres Zhitnik.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:12 PM
sabresandcanucks

Outside of a couple of giveaways I thought Grags actually had a decent game last night. I know the mistakes are glaring...but he showed some consistency and strength on the puck carrying it up the ice that I thought he was lacking earlier in the season. He is also starting to develop some pugnacity, I'm noticing him dishing out some slashes and extra pushes on opposing players after the Sabres gain possession of the puck...He is smart enough to do so in a manner that won't land him in the box but let the opposing player know that its not going to be a fun night going up against him.

I see some encouraging signs...still, the turnovers need to stop and overshadow the good things he is starting to do.

I thought Adam was very soft last night. He needs to use his body down low like Kassian does. Also, he seems to be very gifted at destroying odd man rushes...His shot is good, but coming down on a three on one his team mates should do their best to make sure he is not quarterbacking the play.

Kassian looks great, but has some shifts where he seems disinterested...like his scouting report says. Some shifts he appears ready to take over the entire game...then the next series he floats around the neutral zone without any jump whatsoever. Kassian needs to realize that he has to bring his compete level every time he steps out on the ice.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:14 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Yep. Not sure what happened. His shot was superb in pre-season; now he looks like late-Sabres Zhitnik.
Rarely does he have time to get a clean shot off...Opposing teams are really challenging him when he is in a position to shoot. It also doesn't help that our passing is so unimaginative that even a two year old could anticipate where the puck is going.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:38 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Outside of a couple of giveaways I thought Grags actually had a decent game last night. I know the mistakes are glaring...but he showed some consistency and strength on the puck carrying it up the ice that I thought he was lacking earlier in the season. He is also starting to develop some pugnacity, I'm noticing him dishing out some slashes and extra pushes on opposing players after the Sabres gain possession of the puck...He is smart enough to do so in a manner that won't land him in the box but let the opposing player know that its not going to be a fun night going up against him.

I see some encouraging signs...still, the turnovers need to stop and overshadow the good things he is starting to do.

I thought Adam was very soft last night. He needs to use his body down low like Kassian does. Also, he seems to be very gifted at destroying odd man rushes...His shot is good, but coming down on a three on one his team mates should do their best to make sure he is not quarterbacking the play.

Kassian looks great, but has some shifts where he seems disinterested...like his scouting report says. Some shifts he appears ready to take over the entire game...then the next series he floats around the neutral zone without any jump whatsoever. Kassian needs to realize that he has to bring his compete level every time he steps out on the ice.
I don't really see him getting caught out of position too badly though. At least it's not too glaring, to me at least. I'll take that from a rookie over beast-mode every shift.

Quote:
Rarely does he have time to get a clean shot off...Opposing teams are really challenging him when he is in a position to shoot. It also doesn't help that our passing is so unimaginative that even a two year old could anticipate where the puck is going.
The puck movement I saw on the PP last night was great. Perhaps predictable, definitely not 2010-Connolly-statuesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I love your 4th line

I'd rather not have Ennis/Leino together again. So flip Ennis and Hecht and thsoe lines would be good.
I also think just simpling switching Leino and Hecht from our current lines might do the trick.

Either way I'm reluctant to break up Adam/Leino/Kassian. Adam and leino in particular.
Since those 3 have been put together they've been great.

Leino ----> 3gms 1g 3a 4pts
Adam ----> 3gms 1g 2 3pts
Kassian --> 3gms 2g 1a 3pts

Even before Kassian joined them Adam and Leino were clicking for a few games and looked dangerous. Adam scored 2 goals against the Caps with Chewy and leino as linemates.
Agree on the bolded. Leino and Ennis together is too similar, too soft, too perimeter. Very useful on separate lines but not together. Give Leino Kassian and Ennis Stafford, and tell Staff to use his size / skills like Kassian, and put some friendly incentive bet on it. Like, we'll trade your ass if you don't play better.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:53 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
That's partially true, but he's gotten plenty of clean shots off that just miss the net. He should stop trying to snipe the top corners and just get it through low to the middle of the net and hope for a juicy rebound.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote