HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Anyone else sick of the impending fight after a clean check?

Old
12-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Bonzai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
read the rulebook. dropping the gloves first isn't the only criterion for instigating penalty.
I know that. Shenn hits Laich, Chimera then hits Shenn while the puck is right there. They grapple and chirp and they drop the gloves mutually.

Nothing remotely close to an instigator. Like I said, it's a problem, but blatant occurrences generally result in a penalty.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

It bothers me, but not as much as no response at all.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Jumbo*

I'd be more pissed if my team did nothing about one of my top players getting wrecked and then everyone stood around with their finger in their arse.

Too many soccer moms on the boards these days.

edit - and im talking about really wrecking someone (like Phanuef did to Sauer the other night). Not that minor check that Schenn through, 99% of the time that wouldnt lead to a fight, I'm not sure what Chimera was doing

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:42 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
I thought it wasn't a big hit at all...

and he still wanted to fight.
That one came off as a bit high and awkward.

But yeah, I think most of the after hit fights are moronic.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Seriously, what a pointless thread.

For one thing, the refs handled that situation fine, great actually.
Hitting after massive hits on teammates is great and an important part of hockey, it always has been, and it always will be.
Ignore the fact that this is about the Schenn hit and look at it from a league wide perspective and it is a very valid thread.

There is a major issue with big clean hits thrown and someone jumping in to start a fight. The issue is that 1. it disrupts the flow of play/momentum that a big hit creates, 2. Makes any player throwing a big hit take a 5 minute penalty when they originally had no intention of fighting.

It has become an issue when the play-by-play comment on it after a big hit that doesnt result in a fight, ie. Phaneuf on Sauer (can't find a video that runs long enough to hear it, but it was commented on a minute or 2 after the hit).

Players need to go back to the old way of doing it, take a number and lay him out later on, ala Ovie and Dion last night.

Auston Marlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinFan62 View Post
I'd be more pissed if my team did nothing about one of my top players getting wrecked and then everyone stood around with their finger in their arse.

Too many soccer moms on the boards these days.

edit - and im talking about really wrecking someone (like Phanuef did to Sauer the other night). Not that minor check that Schenn through, 99% of the time that wouldnt lead to a fight, I'm not sure what Chimera was doing

Why should that have been a fight? Did Sauer not know coming into the game he could get hit? Is this a new trend in hockey, players being unaware that might get checked and expecting a fight after?

I get if it is a dirty hit (see: Matt Cooke on Savard, Gionta on Riemer, Lucic on Miller and many others) there being a fight, but not on a clean hit, no matter what. like \i said in my last post, take their number and wait until they are in the tracks and lay them out. Thats how the game used to be played and should still be played.

Old
12-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoclapper View Post
Whenever I see a post on here complaining about a scrum or fight after a clean hit I immediately know the poster hasn't ever played hockey or was never any good.

You stick up for your teammate, even if it was clean. The hitter can turn down a fight, Schenn didn't.

Schenn's a southpaw which is really awkward in hockey fights..
That is so incredible wrong I can't even begin to explain. I played AAA, Tier 2 and CIS (briefly), I also loved to fight, but I would never fight after a clean hit. A dirt one, yes, every time, but not a clean one. I would however take a number and lay them out if given the chance, just like anyone else who wasn't a *****. Jumping a guy for a clean hit is not being a good teammate, and is not being tough. I always saw those guys as a joke.

Old
12-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

I can understand if you absolutely wreck somebody and their teammates come and help. I'm talking definite concussion/blood, etc situation here. Most of the crap I'm seeing these days is ridiculous though, really stifles the game imo.

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Banana Sandwiches

So do some of you guys have a problem with Thornton and Campbell going after Krys Barch on Thursday? The hit was clean, but Paille got smoked was dazed.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:51 AM
straka91*

Yes and no, game is fast so they have little time to decide if the hit was clean or not. I will also take any fight I can get this year since refs throw the book at anyone who does fight after a dirty play.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:17 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
I guess it depends on the "clean hit". Was it a hit that should have gotten a penalty but didn't, so it was "clean"? In that case, jump the guy. If the refs aren't going to handle it, the players should,

If it's a shoulder-to-shoulder, open ice hit that smokes a player because he had his head down or was admiring his own pass, I think it's stupid. A lot of good plays are negated because some guy can't handle seeing his teammate get knocked down cleanly.

These fights bother me less than staged fights, though.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:45 PM
txpd

fighting after clean hits just proves the point that fighting doesnt deter anything and neither does the instigator. those that want the instigator removed to police cheap shots cant face the facts that fighting after clean hits is not deterred by the instigator and the fighting as a result of clean hits does not deter hitting.

Last edited by txpd: 12-11-2011 at 03:53 PM.
txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:41 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
Nope. I'd love to know my teammates have my back.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
VladNYC*

No I am not sick of it. Some times you have to pay the price if you are gonna run around and hit people. Why is fighting some one who just put a hurt on one of your players an inappropriate response?

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:13 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
No I am not sick of it. Some times you have to pay the price if you are gonna run around and hit people. Why is fighting some one who just put a hurt on one of your players an inappropriate response?
This I agree with. One of things I love about hockey is there are no rules as to when is appropriate to start a fight. It's at the players' discretion. I really hate the notion that lives on these boards that fighting after clean hits is a new thing. Fighting in today's NHL is way down from where it was in past decades, they had to be fighting over something. Do people honestly believe that the 70's Flyers cared how clean your hard hit on Bobby Clarke was or were they gonna **** you up no matter what? Yet these boards make "fighting after clean hits" to be a brand new epidemic sweeping the NHL.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Bandit34

When are players allowed to fight then? People hate enforcer fights, face off fights, and fights after hits. So when?

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:52 PM
FROMSHORETOCHARA

No, I don't mind at all. Hopefuly that part of hockey culture never changes.

FROMSHORETOCHARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:00 PM
pld459666

to me, I think the level of the check is going to detemine what I would view as the appropriate reaction.

And for the record, any one of my star players gets cleaned out, there has to be some gloves dropped.

I understand hitting is part of the game, but I also understand that message sending is just as important. The message needs to be not to **** with my star guys.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Dale Weise is a terrible fighter who got his ass kicked by Foligno in his first NHL fight. Obviously Schenn knows how to fight but he's not good at it at all. That example doesn't really help his case very much.
I think Schenn's problem is that he goes after guys out of his league such as Chris Nelil, one of the toughest pound for pound guys in hockey. Luke's a big strong kid and I don't wanna see him fight because he's more valuable to us when he's playing instead of being in the box but if he insists on dropping the gloves he needs to stick to mid-level fighters, guys he actually has a chance against.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:30 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
This I agree with. One of things I love about hockey is there are no rules as to when is appropriate to start a fight. It's at the players' discretion. I really hate the notion that lives on these boards that fighting after clean hits is a new thing. Fighting in today's NHL is way down from where it was in past decades, they had to be fighting over something. Do people honestly believe that the 70's Flyers cared how clean your hard hit on Bobby Clarke was or were they gonna **** you up no matter what? Yet these boards make "fighting after clean hits" to be a brand new epidemic sweeping the NHL.
* how about when a player must fight? must a player be willing to fight before he delivers a hit? seriously?

* dont use the flyers of the 70's as an example about the appropriate situations for fighting. that team fought first to control the game. they fought to open the game up to their "cutters", their cheap shot artists. they first beat up the opposing fighters and then used their dirty players to terrorize the opposition. to beat the flyers you first must out fight them.

of course this is the fighting board where more fighting is always a good thing.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:35 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit34 View Post
When are players allowed to fight then? People hate enforcer fights, face off fights, and fights after hits. So when?
if you are for fighting, i assume you think fighting is a deterrant to cheap shots. should fighting deter hitting? do we want less hitting?

Old
12-12-2011, 09:01 AM
xerox
Hockey pimp

sick of it

xerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:29 AM
habsjunkie2*

I'm more sick of the fans who are sick of the fighting tbh.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:47 PM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* how about when a player must fight? must a player be willing to fight before he delivers a hit? seriously?

of course this is the fighting board where more fighting is always a good thing.
I take it you never played hockey competitively. When your teammate gets rocked hard, it doesn't really matter if it was clean or not. You are going to stick up for him. There are also certain players on your team that if the opposing team starts taking liberties with, you will stick up for no matter if they play is clean or not. That's hockey. It has ALWAYS been like that. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I have never had the anger that welled up in me after a teammate got rocked subside because I realized it was a clean hit. At any point when you go for a big check you must also be willing to drop the gloves. Guys who run around and don't answer the bell wind up being on the receiving end of cheap shots.

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
I take it you never played hockey competitively. When your teammate gets rocked hard, it doesn't really matter if it was clean or not. You are going to stick up for him. There are also certain players on your team that if the opposing team starts taking liberties with, you will stick up for no matter if they play is clean or not. That's hockey. It has ALWAYS been like that. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I have never had the anger that welled up in me after a teammate got rocked subside because I realized it was a clean hit. At any point when you go for a big check you must also be willing to drop the gloves. Guys who run around and don't answer the bell wind up being on the receiving end of cheap shots.

I take it you missed this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsLEAFS View Post
That is so incredible wrong I can't even begin to explain. I played AAA, Tier 2 and CIS (briefly), I also loved to fight, but I would never fight after a clean hit. A dirt one, yes, every time, but not a clean one. I would however take a number and lay them out if given the chance, just like anyone else who wasn't a *****. Jumping a guy for a clean hit is not being a good teammate, and is not being tough. I always saw those guys as a joke.