HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

John Tavares' shooting/skating skills

Old
08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

vCash: 500
^That's awesome to hear. The one knock on JT is his "okay" shot. He's had some sweet one timers and top shelf shots but if he can improve on that...

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:18 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
^That's awesome to hear. The one knock on JT is his "okay" shot. He's had some sweet one timers and top shelf shots but if he can improve on that...
Yeah I think after three seasons watching him eliminate his other obvious weaknesses we could all see this coming since that was really the only thing left we had to nit pick about him. If it improves at the pace his skating has, he shouldn't have any problems getting to 40 next season.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:14 PM
luki here

deja vu! they changed something...

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:22 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
In case anyone was in doubt...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640469
Thanks for posting that. Great insight into how fanatical JT is about getting better. The Isles need to hire Braid to keep her away from all the other teams. My favorite part aside from the entire 'shot' part:

Quote:
Tavares used to be the picture of potential for Braid; now he's the picture of near perfection, so much so she uses still images of Tavares from 2008 and 2012 as examples for her other clients.

She used to show Tavares pictures of Mike Gartner.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Isles Junkie

His shot is by far the weakest part of his game. If he can improve that the same way he improved his skating, then he'll be unstoppable.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:31 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
IMO the snap shot is the best shot for scoring, and it's also the best shot for elevating the puck from in close. It really is the strength issue that makes the difference. If JT builds strength the right way, the shot will improve.

Wrist shots have their place, but they take too long to get off. You need too much space to get a good one off, unless you're Ovechkin in which case your big body makes its own space. For most others, see Jeff Tambellini.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Islanderfan17

I'm glad he's working on the shot, it's exactly what I hoped he'd work on this off season. Last off season he clearly worked on skating, came into the season and blew our ****ing minds with the difference....I hope to see the same with his shooting

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:03 PM
scott99

This is what makes Tavares great. He's always working hard to get better. Already a top 20 player in the NHL, he wants to be #1. He wants to win the Cup and be the best player in hockey. What a great player we have, never satisfied, always wants more. We are so lucky.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Degeneration Rex

I have not posted in a little while, just got back from hockey camp. Amazing how much different Tavares is now compared to when he was drafted. Should we all be surprised when he comes in this year with a improved shot? Not the way he works at his game. He wants to be great.

Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:52 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

I love this man.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 05:32 AM
BillD

Improved shot and starts, stops, turns, pivots. At a solid 206 lbs. and with better than average speed, JT has everyting needed to seperate himslef to elite status, challenge for top honors along with Sid and Malkin.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Riddick

i hate overrating players on my team but the only person i can really compare tavares to is crosby. No, not saying he is on par with crosby(or even malkin) but his dedication to being the best is what makes them where they are. The first year he played his skating was a big issue. first offseason, that got fixed. He sees what his 'weaknesses' are and completely takes care of them.

thats why i'm not worried about his shot. He knows it could be better and he will take care of it; because he is THAT good and THAT determined at what he does.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:53 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
i hate overrating players on my team but the only person i can really compare tavares to is crosby. No, not saying he is on par with crosby(or even malkin) but his dedication to being the best is what makes them where they are. The first year he played his skating was a big issue. first offseason, that got fixed. He sees what his 'weaknesses' are and completely takes care of them.

thats why i'm not worried about his shot. He knows it could be better and he will take care of it; because he is THAT good and THAT determined at what he does.
That's the best part about Tavares. When you think there's something wrong with his game, he ends up being good at it very soon.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:18 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:

great read Stumpy thanks.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Original Rob

Quote:

Good read. If he's not already, Strome should definitely be training with the same folks.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:47 AM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

He is rated 9th in Yahoo fantasy hockey. That means I'm going to have to pick him first round. Not that he isn't worthy of a first round pick, but when he was rated lower I could pick some other great players in the earlier round plus Tavares later.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:14 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
He is rated 9th in Yahoo fantasy hockey. That means I'm going to have to pick him first round. Not that he isn't worthy of a first round pick, but when he was rated lower I could pick some other great players in the earlier round plus Tavares later.
I think Tavares' stats may suffer this year, due to lack of support (losing PAP who played very well with Tavares). I'd be happy with a repeat of last year, but I would not be surprised by a 70-75 point season.

That being said, with Tavares' drive and determination, I would not be surprised by a 40 goal 50 assist 90 point season. IF Visnovsky winds up on the Island, if he can stay happy, the PP should be better, and it already was pretty good at 8th overall.

Lots of IF's this season. If Okposo or Boyes produce on Tavares' line, IF Visnovsky plays like he did in 2010-11, If he gets help from the 2nd and 3rd lines offensively (takes a lot of pressure off of Tavares to score every game), lots of IFs, especially the big one, IF there is a season.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:28 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I think Tavares' stats may suffer this year, due to lack of support (losing PAP who played very well with Tavares). I'd be happy with a repeat of last year, but I would not be surprised by a 70-75 point season.

That being said, with Tavares' drive and determination, I would not be surprised by a 40 goal 50 assist 90 point season. IF Visnovsky winds up on the Island, if he can stay happy, the PP should be better, and it already was pretty good at 8th overall.

Lots of IF's this season. If Okposo or Boyes produce on Tavares' line, IF Visnovsky plays like he did in 2010-11, If he gets help from the 2nd and 3rd lines offensively (takes a lot of pressure off of Tavares to score every game), lots of IFs, especially the big one, IF there is a season.
I'd be more inclined to thing that PAP might be the one whose stats are going to suffer by breaking up the Dynamic Duo of JT/PAP.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:50 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

http://video.islanders.nhl.com/video...ed-share-video

Old
08-28-2012, 03:27 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

I love this kid.......

Its going to be crazy to see how much further he can take his game..

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:54 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart Shaped Box View Post
JT is looking big, he actually looks like a man now and not that kid we all saw his rookie year.

I really hope there isn't a lockout because he's got the look of someone who is going to have a MONSTER year.

BTW, Strome is in need of a serious haircut from the looks of things at the end of the video.

Old
08-28-2012, 05:19 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I love this kid.......

Its going to be crazy to see how much further he can take his game..
This is what gets a lot of us excited. Excited to the point where we are slightly overrating Tavares as he is right now. Most of this is due to him being a ppg player in the greatest league in the world without him having the fundamental hockey skills fully developed. Most players around his point totals probably skate and shoot better than him. How far can he take his game? lets compare him to the best player in the world as a benchmark.

Crosby came into the league with elite vision, elite skating, elite shooting, and boy strength. He just needed to simply grow.

Tavares came into the league with elite vision, not so good skating, okay shooting and boy strength. A lot here that needs work.

The good thing about this is Tavares already has what most players cannot learn and needs work on the things that players can actually improve with training and growth.

Tavares will never be in the same league as Crosby skating wise (which not many people are) and Crosby, hands down, has the best backhand I have ever seen. IMO, Tavares at his peak will be a Sydney Crosby with much less dynamic skating ability and a weaker backhand. Tavares has the same drive to succeed and will have the same solid overall game once his body catches up to whats between his ears. I can't say how this will translate into point totals, but just to visualize Tavares at the top of his game. Their styles and personalities are different obviously, but on ice impact will be close.

I know this is a bold statement considering some of the ridiculous polls that have been started on the main boards, but you cannot deny the sky is the limit for Tavares. Yet, the same rule applies to Crosby and Tavares will always be a step below. Though, Tavares' hands are underrated. The one thing I think he does better than Crosby .

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:52 AM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

I was listening to the THN podcast and they had a guy on from The Hockey News(obviously). He was talking about not having old school nicknames like "Mr. Hockey" and the like. So he is coming out with an article that is suggesting nicknames for current players. Like calling Brian Campbell "The Gingerbread Man". He came up with "The Exception" for Tavares and I actually like that as a name for him. He got exceptional status in juniors. You can make fun of the whole team with Tavares being the exception. There are a lot things to be sad about this team, Tavares being the exception. Hearing about him working out as hard as he can in order to improve the parts of his game that aren't even that terrible in the first place(his shot) is just amazing. This guy will achieve great things before our eyes and it makes me not so sad to see the Islanders as a team when I know #91 will be doing his best in front of us.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:30 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
I was listening to the THN podcast and they had a guy on from The Hockey News(obviously). He was talking about not having old school nicknames like "Mr. Hockey" and the like. So he is coming out with an article that is suggesting nicknames for current players. Like calling Brian Campbell "The Gingerbread Man". He came up with "The Exception" for Tavares and I actually like that as a name for him. He got exceptional status in juniors. You can make fun of the whole team with Tavares being the exception. There are a lot things to be sad about this team, Tavares being the exception. Hearing about him working out as hard as he can in order to improve the parts of his game that aren't even that terrible in the first place(his shot) is just amazing. This guy will achieve great things before our eyes and it makes me not so sad to see the Islanders as a team when I know #91 will be doing his best in front of us.
I thought JT's nickname was "The Marginally Talented Mr. Tavares"

Old
09-09-2012, 07:42 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

JT ranked #11 on NHL.com's Fantasy Player Ratings.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640838