HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG HD for FiOS: (Update - live on channel 577!)

Old
09-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Clock

vCash: 500
MSG HD for FiOS: (Update - live on channel 577!)

http://libn.com/2011/09/23/fcc-tells...ios-msg-in-hd/

Quote:
The Madison Square Garden Co., which is controlled by the same principals who own Cablevision, had previously refused to offer HD feeds of MSG and MSG+ to Verizon and AT&T, which has created its own TV service, while giving other cable companies like Time Warner Cable and Comcast access to these channels. Verizon filed a complaint with the FCC in July 2009.

The HD feeds of MSG and MSG+ are expected to be available on Verizon FiOS shortly, as long as no further legal action is taken by either side.
Oh god, please let this happen. If Cablevision takes it to court, we might still be waiting, though.

Last edited by Clock: 12-15-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

I am watching this closely as well but I read this earlier on TBN:

Sabres broadcasts get HD boost
Quote:
The FCC has directed MSG and Verizon to reach an HD carriage agreement within 30 days. It's not clear if that timetable will hold because Cablevision, the former parent company of MSG, is vowing to fight the ruling.
Quote:
"The data clearly demonstrates that there has been no competitive harm to the nation's two largest phone companies as a result of not having two HD channels they already receive in SD," a Cablevision statement said. "Instead of competing on the merits in the marketplace, Verizon and AT&T are manipulating federal law to gain an unfair advantage and we have every intention of pursuing relief in the courts."
I could get FiOS in my area but have been holding off specifically because they don't have Sabres games in HD. I still don't understand why Cablevision is withholding the stream anyway. Verizon must not be willing to pay an additional license for the stream or something...

Edit: Ah, somehow you ninja-edited your post before my reply

Last edited by minuteater: 09-26-2011 at 02:29 PM.
minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:38 PM
pr92

I'm not holding my breath. It's pretty sad they're using this to keep subscribers in NYC and it's screwing us over.

On top of that, any Verizon insiders know if/when we'll have CBC-HD? There's no reason Verizon can't pick it up, it just takes a $100 antenna anywhere north of Buffalo.

pr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:01 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr92 View Post
I'm not holding my breath. It's pretty sad they're using this to keep subscribers in NYC and it's screwing us over.

On top of that, any Verizon insiders know if/when we'll have CBC-HD? There's no reason Verizon can't pick it up, it just takes a $100 antenna anywhere north of Buffalo.
Not to nitpick but wouldn't Verizon have to get CBC first?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Whammer

Quote:

I know a guy who works for Verizon and installs FiOs, He said that Verizon was planning on building a tower on Grand Island to get the OTA signal from CBC so that they wouldn't have to pay for the signal. This was a couple years ago and unfortunately Verizon pulled a lot of money out of it's FiOs "franchises" and dumped a lot into it's 4G network.

Plus I don't know the legality of mass broadcasting an OTA signal to subscribers, but the point is moot at this time anyway.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:11 PM
pr92

joshjull, if they're receiving CBC over the air from Toronto, they would be receiving the HD signal. So I would think they'd add both at the same time. There would be no reason, besides possibly lack of bandwidth, to provide the SD and not the HD.

Whammer, Time Warner has been providing CFTO and CBLT to its subscribers for years and has run into no logal trouble. CBC is available on cable in other border cities as well, including Detroit and Seattle.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:20 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Much of Canada just recently switched over to digital broadcasting over the air.

On August 31, 2011, Canadian local over-the-air television stations converted to digital television.

Interestingly though, Time Warner's stream of CBC is still in SD I believe...

Old
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Whammer

Quote:
joshjull, if they're receiving CBC over the air from Toronto, they would be receiving the HD signal. So I would think they'd add both at the same time. There would be no reason, besides possibly lack of bandwidth, to provide the SD and not the HD.

Whammer, Time Warner has been providing CFTO and CBLT to its subscribers for years and has run into no logal trouble. CBC is available on cable in other border cities as well, including Detroit and Seattle.
Correct, but we do not get the HD feed on TWC, just the SD feed on basic cable. We only get the HD feed when it is shown on NHLN. My legality question/comment was about taking the Canadian feeds over-the-air signal and mass broadcasting it. But with Verizon my understanding that it is a moot point at this date and time.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:30 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
There's probably a retransmission/carriage agreement in place to do that. You can't just toss up an antenna, catch an OTA signal, then rebroadcast it on another system for free.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:31 PM
pr92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedpony View Post

Interestingly though, Time Warner's stream of CBC is still in SD I believe...
Yes it is. From what I've seen it's always letterboxed (16:9 on 4:3 picture) My guess is that they just put a converter box between the antenna connection and where it goes into the headend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
There's probably a retransmission/carriage agreement in place to do that. You can't just toss up an antenna, catch an OTA signal, then rebroadcast it on another system for free.
But it's Canadian. I honestly don't know. With American stations they need retransmission consent, but I'm not sure how they work it out with the Canadian ones.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:46 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
Yes it is. From what I've seen it's always letterboxed (16:9 on 4:3 picture) My guess is that they just put a converter box between the antenna connection and where it goes into the headend.
Ah, that is right. I remember sometime during the playoffs last year watching Vancouver and all of the sudden they are broadcasting in letterbox instead of straight 4:3.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
I expect it to go to court. Cablevision never goes down without a fight.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

yes please.... I love my FIOS and hi definition Sabres games would just make it that much better

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:41 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I expect it to go to court. Cablevision never goes down without a fight.
Without a doubt. That's Dolan for you.

I hate having to watch the Knicks in standard def when I can watch everything else HD. I've yet to have Center Ice on Fios, so I'm not certain if they offer NHL Center Ice game feeds in HD (Cablevision in my area did NOT, even if Center Ice had a feed scheduled to be in HD it was not shown.)

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:53 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

I wish an eternity of red lights, stubbed toes, paper cuts, and realizing that there is no TP when it's too late upon who ever it is that is intentionally preventing me from watching Sabres games in HD.

Seriously. Someone has a burning bag of dog poo coming to their door step.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:47 PM
aceface33

Get cable and you can watch them in HD.

I say this as someone who has never had Fios in my area. So screw you Verizon!

aceface33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:06 PM
GameMisconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Get cable and you can watch them in HD.

I say this as someone who has never had Fios in my area. So screw you Verizon!
I'm really hoping this goes through. We just moved into an area that gets FIOS and the lack of Sabres in HD is the only reason we still have Time Warner. Whole house DVR is rather nice though.

On a side note, though I'm not sure how new it is, I just recently noticed the digital divide/Verizon billboard about the them bypassing Buffalo and after not having access living in both the city and Cheektowaga heartily approved of the sentiment.

GameMisconduct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Clock

Some good news, folks.

Update: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ver...-hd-2011-11-16

Quote:
In September, the Federal Communications Commission ruled that MSG, which until recently had been owned by Cablevision, was out of bounds for refusing to sell Verizon the HD formats of MSG Network's two regional sports channels in the greater New York region. Last week, that decision was upheld by the commission, and a stay of the decision was denied by a federal appeals court.

The HD feeds of both MSG and MSG+ are ultimately expected to be made available to FiOS TV subscribers in New York City and state, northern and central New Jersey, and Connecticut. The two channels will be included in all levels of FiOS TV service packages, except FiOS TV Local.
I wonder if we're included in the "and state" part? One would assume so given the importance of that channel to this market.

Thank god it's moving forward.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:49 AM
joshjull

I would say we are definitely part of the 'and state'.

My understanding is this fight was primarily due to the NYC market and the fact that Cablevision and Verizon are direct competitors there. Having MSG in HD would certainly tilt things towards Verizon in their head to head battle there.

Whereas up our way its not an issue.

Last edited by joshjull: 11-16-2011 at 02:44 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Zippster

Bring it on, I stayed with TWC last year just because of HD MSG, made the move to Fios this summer because their network rocks and the package deals were awesome, now give me my HD Sabs back and life is reallllll good.

Zippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Endless

HD games on my terrible great fios?

Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Clock

Channel 577, people.

I want to cry tears of happiness.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:31 PM
AV18

Send a message via AIM to AV18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Channel 577, people.

Wooooooooo!

AV18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

!!!!!

Ruckus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:36 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Channel 577, people.

****ING RIGHT!!! JUST IN TIME FOR KNICKS SEASON!!! this. is. perfect.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote