HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Top 5 FPS

Old
01-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 500
Top 5 FPS

Hello fellow HFboarders
I thought that we could list our 5 favourite FPS games. Motivation is a must, dont bother writing a list without one.

1. Counter Strike
Other then Fifa throughout the years, i dont think i have spent so much time with one game, not even FFVII. While i do not enjoy this game as much today as i did before, it is still a lot of fun. Does it exist a better competitive FPS today? I dont think so. The competitive side of CS the best this genre has to offer, even today.

2. Quake 3
Quake 3 is just so fun to play. Great weapons, awesome maps and cool characters. The atmosphere and pace of the game just makes it so good. It also requires high skills. When i played this game the most, i dominated every server i was on, and i completed most maps on the highest difficulty. And when i play it with friends these days, i dominate them so much they end up with a minus score, even tho it was years since i last played it I have never been so good at a fps as i were when i played this game. This game is also today, very fun to play.

3. Battlefield Bad Company.
This game has two things i love. Huge open maps and it takes place on the country. I mostly played singleplayer, but that was enough for this game to be on this list. The maps were incredible. Huge, open, many veichels, many weapons, secrets and fun stuff to do. The story was also very entertaining. Best FPS singleplayer i have ever played.

4. Arma 2
I want to place this game higher on the list, but with all it's problems, the 4th spot is what it gets. Becuse of my hardware and the game, i have never been able to get the most out of Arma 2. But even so, this game is incredible. The best military simulator made, even with it's glitches. There is just so much you can do in this game. It all comes down to your fantasy. It's mod Dayz is also fantastic.

5. Project IGI
I came across this game randomly. I dont remember how, but i think my mothers current boyfriend had it on a disc and i just tried it for fun. I was instantly hooked. Huge open maps, awesome weapons fun missions. This game was amazing. Maybe i was bad, but this game were very difficult. It took me like 3 days just to complete the second mission (the military base)

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Zodiac

shooters that i played the most :

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

3. Killzone 2

4. Left 4 Dead

5. Team Fortress 2

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

1. Goldeneye
2. Perfect Dark
3. Killzone 2 (love love love how Killzone does multiplayer)
4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
5. Counterstrike

Honorable mention: Doom 2

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quake
Doom 2
Painkiller
MDK 2
Doom

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Frankie Spankie

Key word should be FAVORITE here, I would have a different list for BEST FPS games.

1 - Team Fortress Classic - Here I am, 13+ years after it's release and I keep coming back. Just so much damn fun, so fast paced, so much skill required, so much going on at all times. Since games keep taking steps and steps backwards, I really don't see myself having another game I'll like as much as TFC because they're (almost) all slowing down and becoming less skill-focused. I know there are still fast paced games like Tribes Ascend, which I do love, but I just don't like it as much.

2 - Deus Ex - Not even sure how many consider it a FPS since I know a lot of people consider it an RPG but I'll throw it in here since it's an RPG/FPS hybrid. Just pretty much perfect, I don't even know how else to describe it. I replayed it almost two years ago and it was still some of the most fun I had playing a game that year.

3 - Half-Life (1&2) - I'll lump this series together, amazing single player experiences with my, to this day, still favorite engines in any game. Gunplay is some of the best around, challenging, they had amazing graphics at the time of release. Valve likes to break the mold with their Half-Life games and they do a hell of a job doing so. Can't wait to see what they have in store for Half-Life 3

4 - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series - If I have to pick one, I guess Shadow of Chernobyl although it's really tough for me to pick between that and Call of Pripyat. Huge open world setting in the apocalyptic setting of the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown. The atmosphere is bar none, the best I have ever experienced. It's a terrifying experience where you can die from mutants, humans, or even the environment at every single step. The best survival horror game I've ever played.

5 - Battlefield 2 - My personal favorite of the Battlefield series. They improved on 1942 in every single way IMO. 1942 is still a great game, but 2 is better IMO. So much going on, so much strategizing around the entire map, a good squad could dominate, teamwork is essential.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
1. Counterstrike - The game that got me into competitive gaming, its addictive, the maps are perfectly designed and every small detail matters.

2. Doom - Its simple its the first FPS I ever played and it pioneered the genre.

3. Unreal Tournament - I loved this game it really stepped up the pace with chaotic/twitch gameplay.

4. Goldeneye - You could ***** slap someone to death.

5. Halo - Probably the only FPS I ever enjoyed playing by myself. The score is brilliant, the art style is amazing and the AI is still one of the best out there.

HM: Half-life, Quake, Perfect Dark and F.E.A.R.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

FPS is probably my least favourite genre of gaming and I really only play single player games but Ill give it a shot.

1. Half Life2 - just a great gaming experience, one of my favourite games of all time despite what I said.

2. Duke Nukem3D - Loved it so many years ago.

3. Goldeneye - Played it so much with roommates, nothing but great memories.

beyond that I cant think of any FPS that I would put on a 'favourite' type list. I consider Deux Ex and STALKER RPG games, have never played the 'war' games (CoD, BF etc..) or Quake games and could not get into TF/TF2 (probably because I was so bad when I tried I just gave up) but I can see how they would be addicting.

I did enjoy Bioshock and am enjoying Farcry3 and others, but it would be a stretch to consider them a 'favourite' of anything.

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:15 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

goldeneye
unreal tournament
doom
half life
bioshock

karnige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Lambda

Half Life 2 - Favorite FPS of all time, and favorite game of all time. Environments are incredibly varied, it always feels like you've got something new to play with (gravity gun, dune buggy, antlion pheromone, etc). Also, I loved the atmosphere in City 17, and the great characters really draw you in. Played through HL1 subsequently, and loved it, but just couldn't match the "wow" factor of my intro to the Half Life series.

Quake 3 - First online FPS I really fell in love with, despite having never really been more than mediocre at it. The game has an awesome sense of speed, and I love running and bouncing around on the launch pads. Few feelings in all of gaming more satisfying than getting a gib from a distance with the rail gun.

Battlefield 2- I really enjoyed BF1942, but there was no looking back for me when BF2 came out. I loved the introduction of squads, and in the early days the "Commander" position would sometimes be put to great use, which would really take the game to a new level. Also, BF2 was one of the first games I really got into that had the notion of persistent "progression", with character experience levels and weapon unlocks and the like. I've loved BF3, having played it on both the 360 and PC, but I just don't think it matches the "wow" I got from BF2.

Bioshock - All around awesome - plasmid gameplay was really fun, always had to think long and hard about which ones to obtain. Another game with phenomenal atmosphere and a really fresh feel. I also enjoyed Bioshock 2 a lot, but wish they couldve shown us more interaction between Ryan and Lamb; that audio recording of their debate you find early on is really great.

COD4 - Again felt really fresh, I was actually somewhat drawn into the story, and generally thought the single player campaign was a lot of fun. Multiplayer for this game was awesome: great maps, addicting progression, several fun game modes, and I had a lot of fun playing this on XBL with friends. Was disappointed to see what I thought was a step backwards with MW2 (especially the single player campaign, which got significantly more action-movie ridiculous), and havent bought a COD game since.

HM: Deus Ex, Left 4 Dead, Unreal Tournament, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, and for about 3 weeks a year: Counter Strike

Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:28 PM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
In no particular order:
  • Battlefield 1942
  • Rainbow 6 Urban Ops (restricted 3rd person view with expansion pack)
  • Battlefield 2
  • Battlefield 2142 (even though I didn't play it much, it was a good game)
  • Half Life 2.

I've been at this since you could do it. And I think I burned myself out on twichy shooters, so I gravitated to the more expansive ones. And while the BF series had its faults (god knows it did), at its best, it was the series with the most diversity and layered team play.

disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Going by favorite...damn, I can't really put these into a list. Here are 5 in no order:

1) Medal of Honor 1(The original; first game like it)

2) Red Faction 1

3) Half Life, both of them

4) Halo (playing through the campaign in one sitting with a friend is still one of my favorite game experiences)

5) Quake 2 and 4

01-19-2013, 11:07 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

#5 Wolfenstein 3D: Genre defining isn't a strong enough term. Nothing quite like being out of ammo running from dogs. Great atmosphere. Finding secret areas is very fun and the exploration is some of the best of the day.

#4 America's Army 1.0-2.8x

America's Army does what my #1 fails at, great level design. Warehouse, SF Hospital, SF Extraction and many more are supremely well designed for tactical shooter gameplay.

#3 Duke Nukem 3D

Another game with fantastic level design, especially in terms of multiple layers. Great weapons and use of the jetpack. Set a precedent for humor in shooters. And probably the most memorable protagonist of all FPS.

#2 Unreal Tournament 3

Unfairly derided by many, UT3 has the most well balanced and well refined arena shooter game play in existence. It fails in depth of content but everywhere else it exceeds its predecessors.

#1 Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield.

Peak of tactical shooters. Took what R6 and RS did and further refined the gameplay. Huge assortment of weapons with real in game differences. The sounds are still incredible.

HM's:
Ghost Recon
Goldeneye
C&C: Renegade
Starsiege: Tribes
Unreal
MOHAA

I only picked my top version from each franchise BTW, otherwise my list would be all UT and R6.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

1. Rainbow Six (original PC) - First FPS game I ever played back when mplayer.com was around. Still remains my all time favorite when it comes to FPS'.

2. Counterstrike - Basically what everyone else has said.

3. Halo 2 - By far the most consistent fun I've ever had playing a console FPS. Hoping 343 makes an anniversary edition for this as Halo just hasn't been fun since this game.

4. Rainbow six: Rogue Spear - Next game released after the original RB6, I didn't spend as much time as I did with the original but it still held it's own as one of the best during its time.

5. Call of Duty (First) - I played this game non stop when it was released. The intensity is something that always had me coming back, huge explosions, big firefights and just the general game play was incredible.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:15 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

TFC, CS, Q3, QW, Q2. HM to that one year where RtCW was popular and the first couple of Tribes.

Q3 wins based on mods though. OSP, CPMA, RA3, 3W, Urban Terror, etc.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:36 AM
silverfish
Player Usage

Goldeneye.

No need for anything else

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:14 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 70
Doom 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Doom
Call Of Duty (the original)
Painkiller

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:35 PM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
COD4
Doom
Wolfenstein (original)
Duke Nukem
TC Ghost Reacon

tacogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:43 PM
nogger
ploffs?

1. CoD4
2. Ghost Recon (PC version, I played so much of this online as a kid)
3. Ravenshield (same as above)
4. Goldeneye
5. Halo

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

1) Halo

The original game was basically the entirety of my gaming between 8th and 12th grade when I wasn't playing Diablo II or Starcraft. My best friend lived up the street and nearly every Friday or Saturday I would spend the night playing Halo until the wee hours of the morning. Fondest memories in all FPS gaming are Halo LAN parties where we hooked up two Xboxes on two TVs and played eight-person on Blood Gulch or Sindwinder. I see Halo get a ton of flack from some gamers who don't understand it's meant to be played with your friends on one (or two) screens.

2) COD4

Spent basically every Wednesday my senior year in college getting baked and playing this with my friends. Loved playing knives only on Stacks. I like playing the other MW titles but there was something about the original that always played best IMO.

3) Goldeneye

I was never that great at it in the first place and once I played it again as an adult I was pretty waffle. Still it was always fun since it was the original console FPS and there were plenty of birthday parties between age 9 and 15 when it was a staple. There are few things more entertaining in the history of gaming than going Slappers on Turbo mode.

4) Halo 2

Played this a lot freshman year of college since everyone could hook up their LAN to the dorm intranet. Had a lot of fun on maps like Ascension, Beaver Creek, Foundation, Ivory Tower, and Lockout. Was an unabashed sword ***** but also loved dual SMG, sniper rifles, and the needler.

5) Unreal Tournament

The first PC FPS I ever played, even though I was barely good enough to beat the bots, is mainly in my memory because if you named yourself "HisPenis" there would be a lot of funny kill lines. Loved jumping with the beam rifle or rockets from platform to platform and strafing the bejeezus out of enemies.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:05 PM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
In order:

Battlefield 3
Battlefield 2142
Section 8: Prejudice
Unreal Tournament 3
Planetside 2

meehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
COD4
Doom
Wolfenstein (original)
Duke Nukem
TC Ghost Reacon
Im guessing you dont mean the true original, but it was a game I spent lots of time with when I was little.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:28 PM
virothepyro
#lydia2012

1. Goldeneye - so many memories of sitting in my cousins room with a bunch of friends and taking turns playing 4v4 deathmatch for hours on end.

2. Battlefield 2 - played this game so much and still like to play it every now and again.

3. Team Fortress 2 - nice game to just sit back and play a few quick and fun games

4. Tribes Series or Unreal Tournament Series - Hard to choose between these 2 and Perfect Dark for the 4-5 spots.

5. Perfect Dark- See Above with Goldeneye.

i couldn't keep it to only 5, of FPS games those are the ones i have the best memories of playing.

Socom II would have been on here but it's not a FPS

virothepyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Zodiac

i see a lot of old school shooters being mentioned ...and as much as i loved Doom2, Heretic, Duke Nukem 3d, Rise of the Triad, Unreal Tournament, Quake 2, etc. ...

i just can't look at them now. too old, and don't really age all that well, imo.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

But, like Frankie said, it is 'favourite' not 'best'. The words are close but I think it changes the entire thread.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Do arcade games count? Time crisis 3 was my jam.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote