HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Final Fantasy Thread.

Old
12-11-2011, 06:15 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
I'm still considering getting FFXIII considering how cheap it is right now and just beat the game. Hey, if I get FFXIII-2, I get some extra stuff anyways from the save data.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:32 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Is the good part of FF13 actually good enough to be worth slogging through the early, boring part? I played it for a couple of hours but just couldn't get into it even though I liked the combat system a lot but if the later part of the game is really a big improvement than I might just force myself to go back and play through it again.
Yes, just don't go in with typical FF expectations haha.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Rpro
5-14-6-1

Well I guess since I've been addicted to it for 6+ years I'll have to say FFXI, but not including that MMO it's definitely FFIV. IX is my second favorite and XIII is without a doubt the worst I have played(not including the FFXIV debacle).

Rpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
Well I guess since I've been addicted to it for 6+ years I'll have to say FFXI, but not including that MMO it's definitely FFIV. IX is my second favorite and XIII is without a doubt the worst I have played(not including the FFXIV debacle).
Thats not even a true Final Fantasy game man.

FF12 was the worst piece of garbage they made. 13 was alright. From all accounts 13-2 will be very good.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Bengui

Quote:
You mean that black hole between FFX and FFXII ?
Sorry, it doesn't really count :/

Bengui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Rpro
5-14-6-1

Ya it doesn't really count since it's not a single player rpg like all the others which is why I listed IV as my favorite. Actually on second thought if XI isn't considered a true FF game then neither should XIII. I mean that game doesn't even have towns. Maybe it's the old school gamer in me but IMO the series is going downhill fast.

Rpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:16 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 275
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who had trouble getting through the beginning of FFXIII. Maybe I'll give it another shot to slog through the first part if you guys say it's worth it.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Final Fantasy IV Complete on PSP is probably the best game Square has made since FFX (which is sad since FFX is a 7/10 at best for me). I personally like the ones where the characters have their own magic/moves/etc. I don't like the jobs system and the Esper/Materia system is pure junk, your characters just end up being copies of each other. I thought the Draw system from FF8 was good and the Sphere Grid from FFX was also solid. FFXIII was so dull and boring, ugh, it was like playing a SaGa Frontier or something

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Takao
kesbae

Glad someone else thought the VII materia got pretty dull. One of the few reasons why it is not my favorite is because I could have everyone on my team have the same materia and do the same thing. Other than the limit breaks and master weapons they could easily be carbon copies of eachother.

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Oilbender

so much final fantasy 14 beta testing it hurt

Oilbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Dylonus

All Final Fantasy thread?! Sweet!

FF6 (originally FF3 on SNES) was by far my favorite. Love everything about that game.

FF13 was a slap in the face. Battle system seemed broken to an extent.

I can't wait for the Final Fantasy 10 re-make on PS3. Anyone know what it comes out?

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Takao
kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
All Final Fantasy thread?! Sweet!

FF6 (originally FF3 on SNES) was by far my favorite. Love everything about that game.

FF13 was a slap in the face. Battle system seemed broken to an extent.

I can't wait for the Final Fantasy 10 re-make on PS3. Anyone know what it comes out?
Don't think the date has been set yet but I'll be preordering.

Old
12-11-2011, 10:52 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ya it doesn't really count since it's not a single player rpg like all the others which is why I listed IV as my favorite. Actually on second thought if XI isn't considered a true FF game then neither should XIII. I mean that game doesn't even have towns. Maybe it's the old school gamer in me but IMO the series is going downhill fast.
It's unfortunate but this has more or less been a long occurring mainstream evolution of the JRPG. People don't want to get lost or stuck wondering what to do next, don't want to die and lose their progress, or get their ***** kicked when they enter a new area and be unable to progress or afford the new equipment without working for it. What you're left with is a streamlined experience where you traverse from point A to point B fighting random battles that progress at a steady pace with you and pausing for a story progression at each interval. The world map gets streamlined to dots on a map, pointOh yeah and side quests, usually but not restricted to end game, that have nothing to do with the main story but can significantly over power you, are okay as well.

Yeah I'm being a little pessimistic, but I've been playing them from the start and seen all the changes come and go. In my opinion the perfect JRPG that blends that old school nostalgia while benefiting from modern technology was Dragon Quest VIII. Really wish FF would give the KISS philosophy a try as well.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:57 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
Glad someone else thought the VII materia got pretty dull. One of the few reasons why it is not my favorite is because I could have everyone on my team have the same materia and do the same thing. Other than the limit breaks and master weapons they could easily be carbon copies of eachother.
You know that's another thing that I hate with the way the games have trended. What's wrong with having unique characters, like FFIV where some can kick ass and some pretty much *gasp* suck? Haven't played FFXIII yet and I'm guessing it's the same but VII, VIII, and XII all went this way. Customization is great and all but when there can be no real difference in combat between the little city orphan girl and the big strong army general then something's wrong there.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:06 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
You know that's another thing that I hate with the way the games have trended. What's wrong with having unique characters, like FFIV where some can kick ass and some pretty much *gasp* suck? Haven't played FFXIII yet and I'm guessing it's the same but VII, VIII, and XII all went this way. Customization is great and all but when there can be no real difference in combat between the little city orphan girl and the big strong army general then something's wrong there.
You seem to be leaving X-2 out of that list as well.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Takao
kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I agree. Which is why I like IX and IV more than VII. Such good characters and with IX epsecially I can play through and finish the game with a different kind of team.

Old
12-27-2011, 06:25 PM
jeffl97

My favorite is 7, hands down. I loved the story line, the characters, how open the map was, and didn't mind the materia system at all though you guys bring up some good points.Tactics is my 2nd favorite (I also like the PSP version as well where you get to be a dark knight, though once you get that it's game over). Didn't really like 8, never played 9, and played very little of 10 to comment, 11 and 14 are mmorpg's.
12 was only okay. 13 I hated at first but it turned out alright. I don't really like any of the characters except for Lightning, (Snow = is his only line Serah?) or the story line, but I'll be buying 13-2

jeffl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Jumbo*

So the new FF game has been out for a few weeks now in Japan, does anyone know what type of reviews it has been getting by them? I tried to search google and stuff but came up empty.

Old
12-29-2011, 02:25 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by APuckHog View Post
So the new FF game has been out for a few weeks now in Japan, does anyone know what type of reviews it has been getting by them? I tried to search google and stuff but came up empty.
Not sure about reviews.

Worst sales they've ever had though.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Not sure about reviews.

Worst sales they've ever had though.
Thats not saying much though since its still #1 in sales

Just compared to other FF games it hasn't sold as well.

Old
12-29-2011, 04:34 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Still twiddling my thumbs waiting for Tactics on the iPad...

I played FFXI and loved it, but yes, it's certainly not a traditional FF game. However, I feel it was way better than XIII.... that was bad enough I couldn't even stand to finish it.

I'd also really love to see IV and VI remade and/or ported to iOS. (Sorta OT but replaying ChronoTrigger right now on iOS and I friggin love it)

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Still twiddling my thumbs waiting for Tactics on the iPad...

I played FFXI and loved it, but yes, it's certainly not a traditional FF game. However, I feel it was way better than XIII.... that was bad enough I couldn't even stand to finish it.

I'd also really love to see IV and VI remade and/or ported to iOS. (Sorta OT but replaying ChronoTrigger right now on iOS and I friggin love it)
FF11 is a MMO.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:36 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by APuckHog View Post
Thats not saying much though since its still #1 in sales

Just compared to other FF games it hasn't sold as well.
Not really just other FF games. Xillia sold more.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:09 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
FF11 is a MMO.
I think 'not traditional' covers that.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old