HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Final Fantasy Thread.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:05 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
How do you "finish" an MMO then?
I think Guild Wars 2 has a specific storyline for each race. Does FF XI have a specific storyline that you can just do and "beat the game" technically? I don't know much about MMOs, so forgive me.

And yes, I revived a year old thread because I'm addicted to Final Fantasy VII right now. What's the easiest way to level a Steal Materia?

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Augscura

I've really been itching to go through FF8 again. But I also need to finish 12. Decisions.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:44 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I think Guild Wars 2 has a specific storyline for each race. Does FF XI have a specific storyline that you can just do and "beat the game" technically? I don't know much about MMOs, so forgive me.

And yes, I revived a year old thread because I'm addicted to Final Fantasy VII right now. What's the easiest way to level a Steal Materia?
I remember having to fight a lot of those cobra/snake thing at the entrance of the cave. Those things give a lot i believe.

I can't really remember, i beat that game probably a decade ago. But i put in massive work. when you get knights of the round materia, its game over.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
**** the Weapons man... I don't think I ever beat any of them. Was close to Ruby once I think.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:28 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

In case anyone else doesn't know, Final Fantasy XIII part 3 will be coming out next year titled "Lightning Returns."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...-Final-Fantasy

Old
12-01-2012, 07:51 PM
leova

which of the newest FF's is closest in feel to FF8?

I'm not really a fan of the style in some of the newer ones...

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:00 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post

ummm... Crisis Core? Maybe lol??

The new one coming out next year seems like it's going to be something like a mix of Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Augscura

Quote:

FF8 despite its criticisms, is one of the most unique FF's of all time, and has aged well. Go through it again if you haven't done so recently.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:04 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:

What newer ones, X XII or XIII? Not really much to go on here for the Final Fantasy series. The closest thing would be sticking with the PS1 entries, or perhaps looking at other series. I'm not sure exactly what elements of FFVIII you'd be looking to find in other games though.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:05 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
I bought a PS3 so i could play versus XIII.... 4+ years ago
Instead i got a bad Final Fantasy, an unintresting follow up to a bad Final Fantasy, another unintresting follow up to a follow of a bad Final Fantasy and spin offs and even more spin offs!

Still belive versus will be the best FF since Final Fantasy X. On paper, it is perfect. Hopefully it can bring just as many emotions to the table as FFVII, VIII and X did for me. The characters, story and gameplay melted perfectly togheter in a beautiful way with 3 of the greatest soundtracks ever composed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo* View Post
FF12 was the worst piece of garbage they made. 13 was alright. From all accounts 13-2 will be very good.
Final Fantasy 12 had AMAZING gameplay. Huge open world, tons of monsters, bossfights and summons. ALOT of extra quests, great weapon/levelsystem, tons of weapons and so many things to do. However, it lacked everything else that great Final Fantasy should have. Awesome characters, awesome music and an amzing story. The game failed on all those areas but it was a not a bad game but any means, just a bad Final Fantasy. If 13 would have had that gameplay, the game would have been amazing.

Uematsu is still kicking final fantasy ass!

Last edited by Everlasting: 12-02-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:23 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
always have been interested in the final fantasy series but never actually played it , should I start to play? which one should I play first?
I don't think you can really miss, especially anywhere between 1-10.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Raging Bull

Anyone subscribe to this guy on Youtube?

He does all sorts of great gaming music. That one is one of my favorite songs from the FF library.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Richie10

XII was pretty damn good, all things considered. Unfortunately, it was mired down in the premature departure of Yasumi Matsuno, its director. Matsuno was also the head developer on Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Tactics Ogre. If XII felt like the story just dropped off at a certain point, it was for a reason: Matsuno left the project. At its core, there is still a very good game there.

I've sort of lost hope with FF. XIII was okay - I didn't hate it. But XIII-2 was totally uninteresting and I never even finished it, although the gameplay was much improved. Throw me in the "waiting for Versus to save the franchise" crowd.

I've been playing FF and loving almost every game since IV on SNES. The franchise has totally spun off its wheels in recent years. Its unfortunate. I still consider X to be the last great mainstream JRPG.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:47 AM
blue425

A few years ago I started an all black mage run in the original. Breezed through the game until the end. And then the grinding started.

I picked it up again over the weekend. I'm not sure how long it is going to take..

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
In case anyone else doesn't know, Final Fantasy XIII part 3 will be coming out next year titled "Lightning Returns."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...-Final-Fantasy
FFS just scrap all this garbage and give me Versus!

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:11 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Anyone subscribe to this guy on Youtube?

He does all sorts of great gaming music. That one is one of my favorite songs from the FF library.
is it a he or she? I couldn't stay focused looking at the size of their fingernails!!

Old
12-02-2012, 01:31 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
XII was pretty damn good, all things considered. Unfortunately, it was mired down in the premature departure of Yasumi Matsuno, its director. Matsuno was also the head developer on Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Tactics Ogre. If XII felt like the story just dropped off at a certain point, it was for a reason: Matsuno left the project. At its core, there is still a very good game there.
I agree in that for all the *****ing & complaining people did about it FFXII was still pretty good all things considering. Sure there were plenty of things I didn't care for (kind of boring characters emphasized with completely generic combat abilities, story moments to few and far between gameplay), but overall I'd say it's still a 7.0 game brought up to an 8.0 rating for it's length and production value. Easily worth the $30 I paid for it. Now a little off topic I know the cool thing among the 'hardcore' gamer crowd is to only play 9.0 and above games, but if you're a big fan of a specific genre then there's nothing wrong with a 7.0 rated game. I read this as 'good game if you like the genre but you can skip it if you don't'.

Speaking of FFXII though one interesting note about it, I recall reading some where that the games lead/main characters were initially supposed to be Ashe and either Basch or Balthier, but focus groups in Japan found that people didn't relate to these characters so they decided to add in Vaan and Penelo.

I didn't mind them as much as others did but ugh, I wonder exactly when Square started relying on focus groups for game development.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:50 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

My 2 favorites are FF6 (which was FF3 when I first bought it for SNES) and FF7. I really liked FFX too. (some spoilers below)

FF6 just completely blew my mind with how deep and intense the story got. I thought I was at the end of the game when the world ended...Only to realize that I was like half-way through the game!!!!

Same thing with FF7. I felt like it took me months to get out of Midgar. I thought the whole game would take place in there. When I realized just how much MORE there was...I haven't felt that way about RPGs since. Nothing has ever come close.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

This series has been dead to me since 10.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Final Fantasy VII remains my favorite game of all-time...but nothing since has done much of anything for me.

VIII was filled with characters I hated, I liked IX when it was released but going through it a second time was a chore, I disliked X (I've never hated a main character as much as I did Tidus...and Wakka didn't really help matters), XI was online garbage, XII was extremely fun to play (but lacked in story and other regards), and I couldn't make it through the 'interactive' movie that was Final Fantasy XIII long enough to get to anything resembling gameplay.

I'm not expecting much better for the future. Final Fantasy is, and will always be, made for a Japanese market. What they're interested in there and what we are here are heading in two very different directions. The story behind the 'main' character in Final Fantasy XII tells the whole story...Basch was the original main character, but was replaced by Vaan, an androgynous weakling with an uninteresting backstory, because Vaan was more marketable than Basch (Vagrant Story's poor sales leading the push) in Japan.

I'm holding my breath for an old-school turn-based RPG with an epic story of political turmoil, featuring a cast of characters who aren't sissy androgynous whiners...I'm probably going to be holding my breath for a while.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:10 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Final Fantasy VII remains my favorite game of all-time...but nothing since has done much of anything for me.

VIII was filled with characters I hated, I liked IX when it was released but going through it a second time was a chore, I disliked X (I've never hated a main character as much as I did Tidus...and Wakka didn't really help matters), XI was online garbage, XII was extremely fun to play (but lacked in story and other regards), and I couldn't make it through the 'interactive' movie that was Final Fantasy XIII long enough to get to anything resembling gameplay.

I'm not expecting much better for the future. Final Fantasy is, and will always be, made for a Japanese market. What they're interested in there and what we are here are heading in two very different directions. The story behind the 'main' character in Final Fantasy XII tells the whole story...Basch was the original main character, but was replaced by Vaan, an androgynous weakling with an uninteresting backstory, because Vaan was more marketable than Basch (Vagrant Story's poor sales leading the push) in Japan.

I'm holding my breath for an old-school turn-based RPG with an epic story of political turmoil, featuring a cast of characters who aren't sissy androgynous whiners...I'm probably going to be holding my breath for a while.
I almost want them to actually do a FFVII remake so that all the hardcore fans will be shocked to learn that hidden under those dated blocky 3d graphics and a lack of real voice acting Cloud himself is actually a sissy androgynous whiner.

Well maybe not quite the sissy part, but the limited technology certainly did hide a lot of that Japanese still which many Western gamers tend to ***** about in the more recent games.

For the future though I could care less about this Lightning game, as I tend to dislike the 'replay it multiple times' game mechanic. But I don't really care if Square wants to pad there pockets a little by putting out these easy to make sequels, as long as their A development team is working on the next one... although in this case I believe they're working on fixing FFXIV.

As for XV all I really hope for is that they keep things a little more simple and remember all the other little things that used to make up a JRPG, rather than just being a string of random battles and cut scenes.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:24 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Am i the only one beliving versus XIII will be the next great FF? It has everything great that the old Final Fantasy's had but with many new elements.

- Huge open world? Check.
- The ability to fly an airship? Check.
- Modern time? Check.
- Great soundtrack? Check.
- A new fightingsystem developed from XII and AC? Check.

It seems to be everything XIII wasnt and everything XII should have.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:33 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I almost want them to actually do a FFVII remake so that all the hardcore fans will be shocked to learn that hidden under those dated blocky 3d graphics and a lack of real voice acting Cloud himself is actually a sissy androgynous whiner.

Well maybe not quite the sissy part, but the limited technology certainly did hide a lot of that Japanese still which many Western gamers tend to ***** about in the more recent games.
Eh. First of all, standards were way different in 1997 than they are now...and FFVII wrote the book on RPG cliches, so it was pretty damn fresh when it came out. Cloud is hardly an ideal character...but he wasn't androgynous and he wasn't a sissy.

He was a total whiner, though. Even if he didn't speak.

People born in different years tend to value games in the series differently than others. Most of my friends held the same opinions as I did with FFVII/VIII/IX/X...but if you go up a couple years then VI was the all-ending greatness and VII was a semi-letdown...if you go down a couple years then FFVII was just weird while FFX was the best ever.

But...c'mon...in 1997 it didn't get any better.

If you were to play Final Fantasy VII for the first time now...it would seem contrived. But Final Fantasy VII is why it would seem contrived. Just about every RPG that was released after it on the PSX tried to follow the same formula. Just like you can't compare a goalie's stats from the 90s to one today, you can't really compare a game from then to one today. How well does Super Mario Bros. 3 stand up to Rayman Origins if you compare them in a vacuum?

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 12-03-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:14 AM
leova

Quote:
How well does Super Mario Bros. 3 stand up to Rayman Origins if you compare them in a vacuum?
pretty freaking well....its Super Mario, duh!

and wtf is a rayman anyway?

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

Well said. I will say despite the story and main villian faults in FF XII, it was an awesome game. The Hunt system was phenomonal. Tons of awesome boss/esper fights.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote