HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alexander Burmistrov

Old
12-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Kimmo Therapy*

vCash: 500
Alexander Burmistrov

From what I've seen of this kid, he's going to really evolve into a superstar. I can see him hitting 80-90 points at some point in his career if he has a good supporting cast around him. I like his maturity and I can't see him being a risk to bolt to the KHL unless he's offered a godly amount of money (much like Kuznetsov asked for.) But on the other hand what do you guys think about him? He reminds me of a pavel datsuk player with less dangles. Fill me in on what you think he's worth to a franchise.

Do you build around this type of player and hope that him and kane/scheifele develop tremendous chemistry?

Kimmo Therapy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
He's the type of guy you can build a team around. He'll be a #1 center within 2 years

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Kimmo Therapy*

I agree with you. I think that the Jets should bring in a veteran russian player to help with his development and be a mentor towards him. I don't think people appreciate his talents as much as they should around here.

Kimmo Therapy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by anklebender View Post
I agree with you. I think that the Jets should bring in a veteran russian player to help with his development and be a mentor towards him. I don't think people appreciate his talents as much as they should around here.
We already have Antropov to mentor him. He's been a positive influence on Burmistrov.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:35 PM
jetkarma

I have watched all of his games in Winnipeg , some more than once.

I can't agree with the evaluation , he is a frustrating and hard player to grade imo. He certainly flashes , he has moments of impressive skill and he is both a very dedicated and effective defensive player. That aspect of his game is much stronger and will be than his offensive output imo.

He may improve of course but to date I don't see the trending development I would expect if he was to be a point a game or even better player. Now that may unfold , but to date he doesn't go to the net well , doesn't distribute the puck strongly and doesn't have near the fierceness of say Evander Kane when it comes to shooting or wanting to score . That hunger , that intensity isn't at a level that is effective , at least so far.

Don't want to degrade him , but he may be a player that the total never matches the sums of his parts. He is still just 20 , and has had very good stretches albeit inconsistent , right now and it may be developing confidence , he doesn't have that fierceness , battle , drive to create goals. If that develops and he ups his compete level in that area he could be a Patrick Kane lite version with a much better defensive game imo.

jetkarma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:45 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Don't want to degrade him
Then what exactly do you think you achieved with this post?

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:47 PM
surixon

Quote:

I can't agree with the evaluation , he is a frustrating and hard player to grade imo. He certainly flashes , he has moments of impressive skill and he is both a very dedicated and effective defensive player. That aspect of his game is much stronger and will be than his offensive output imo.

He may improve of course but to date I don't see the trending development I would expect if he was to be a point a game or even better player. Now that may unfold , but to date he doesn't go to the net well , doesn't distribute the puck strongly and doesn't have near the fierceness of say Evander Kane when it comes to shooting or wanting to score . That hunger , that intensity isn't at a level that is effective , at least so far.

Don't want to degrade him , but he may be a player that the total never matches the sums of his parts. He is still just 20 , and has had very good stretches albeit inconsistent , right now and it may be developing confidence , he doesn't have that fierceness , battle , drive to create goals. If that develops and he ups his compete level in that area he could be a Patrick Kane lite version with a much better defensive game imo.
I agree with most of what you have said, his decision making isn't on par with the rest of his talent. Its a night and day difference watching him play wing vs center, he is so much better when he plays RW. I find when he plays center he has trouble processing the entire play and as a result he tends to slow his game right down waiting for the play develope, whereas when he is a winger and has less responsibility he makes quicker decisions and is much more involved in the attack. With the way Little is playing at center and with Schiefele progressing really well Id like to see Burmistrov moved to right wing permanetly where I think he can turn into a 25g 40-45a guy while playing strong two way hockey.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:52 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
Then what exactly do you think you achieved with this post?
Gave an honest and unbiased evaluation . That isn't degrading , not here to blindly be a cheerleader.

Old
12-10-2011, 12:55 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I agree with most of what you have said, his decision making isn't on par with the rest of his talent. Its a night and day difference watching him play wing vs center, he is so much better when he plays RW. I find when he plays center he has trouble processing the entire play and as a result he tends to slow his game right down waiting for the play develope, whereas when he is a winger and has less responsibility he makes quicker decisions and is much more involved in the attack. With the way Little is playing at center and with Schiefele progressing really well Id like to see Burmistrov moved to right wing permanetly where I think he can turn into a 25g 40-45a guy while playing strong two way hockey.
Stated he should be playing wing at the start of the season and when he was moved there his production improved. Still feel he is more effective at wing.

Not a hater by any means , just giving an evaluation on his performance and production , not saying it won't nor can't improve.

Patrick Kane lite with a much better defensive game isn't a bad thing is it?

Old
12-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
He's the type of guy you can build a team around. He'll be a #1 center within 2 years
He already is a number 2 centre imo. So as far as his value goes, it's the value of a number one centre plus a bit more due to his age and potential.

Also, I've noticed he's developed a bit of a mean streak, takes more penalties now and even remember a game recently where he knocked Chara down lol.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
From what I've seen of this kid, he's going to really evolve into a superstar. I can see him hitting 80-90 points at some point in his career if he has a good supporting cast around him. I like his maturity and I can't see him being a risk to bolt to the KHL unless he's offered a godly amount of money (much like Kuznetsov asked for.) But on the other hand what do you guys think about him? He reminds me of a pavel datsuk player with less dangles. Fill me in on what you think he's worth to a franchise.

Do you build around this type of player and hope that him and kane/scheifele develop tremendous chemistry?
Basically this. You could probably include Little as part of the 4 guys who are 24 years and under that the team is building around up front.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Basically this. You could probably include Little as part of the 4 guys who are 24 years and under that the team is building around up front.
The best thing about building around an offensive core of Burmistrov, Kane, Little and Scheifele is that 2.5 out of 4 of them are excellent defensively. I give Scheifele the 0.5 because he's still a bit of a question mark.

Burmi and Little are unbelievable defensively for "skill" guys.

Stej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:30 PM
timekeep

Quote:

Completely agree with the datsyuk comparison, don't be surprised if the dangles do come.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:31 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3200
I'll start off by saying that I'm a huge Burmistrov fan but that I disagree with the assessment of his potential to put up 80-90 points. I see him developing as a Selke-calibre 1st line center, but not the offensive catalyst of the line. His stick-handling is unbelievable but his best quality IMO is his defensive play. He's quick, well-positioned defensively, good at picking peoples pockets and surprisingly physical for his size. His decision making should improve over time but right now he looks too much like Hemsky in the offensive zone, all the dangles in the world but no finish. He also has to show more of a willingness to battle in front of the net if he's going to put up 80 points. I'd predict that in his prime his average will be around 70 pts per year but that his defensive play will be his strength.

I'm making the above assessment of him as a center. We saw earlier this year that he was more explosive offensively as a winger, playing with Antropov at center.

Quote:
He lived with Antropov in Atlanta apparently. When they played on a line together earlier this season they were awesome. I have no idea why that line was broken up. Burmistrov hasn't had the same chemistry with anyone else, nor has he been given a decent supporting cast to work with. I think he was with Stapleton and Jaffray tonight...

Last edited by vBurmi: 12-10-2011 at 11:37 PM.
vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:05 AM
markisonfire

Anything from the Kings not named Richards or Quick.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:50 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Doughty?

Old
12-11-2011, 10:10 AM
rymr66

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Doughty?
well he did say anything except richards or quick, and we do have a lot of defenceman, so why not kopitar? (probably not - wishful thinking)

rymr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Completely agree with the datsyuk comparison, don't be surprised if the dangles do come.
This Jets fan completely disagrees with the comparison.

Datsyuk's strength is smart puck management; that is Burmistrov's exact comparative weakness.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:16 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
This Jets fan completely disagrees with the comparison.

Datsyuk's strength is smart puck management; that is Burmistrov's exact comparative weakness.
I don't understand this statement. Burmistrov is pretty good at taking the puck away from the opposition and is pretty difficult to get the puck away from. He's similar to Datsyuk in that regard. The comparison ends at their abilities to finish plays either by setting up teammates or by scoring themselves IMO. Burmistrov hasn't scored much but he doesn't turn the puck over very much, it's usually his line-mates.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:22 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Really?

I'm pretty sure the Jets would do this for Anze Kopitar.

But don't be fooled... you guys would still be getting the better end of the deal.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
I don't understand this statement. Burmistrov is pretty good at taking the puck away from the opposition and is pretty difficult to get the puck away from. He's similar to Datsyuk in that regard. The comparison ends at their abilities to finish plays either by setting up teammates or by scoring themselves IMO. Burmistrov hasn't scored much but he doesn't turn the puck over very much, it's usually his line-mates.
He holds onto the puck too long when he shouldn't, doesn't pass when he should, and coughs the puck up easily and often when challenged along the boards. His game is the antithesis of good puck management but will surely improve given time.

He is a good penalty killer to his credit. I like the guy but find him inconsistent, and raw.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:36 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:

I don't understand why you are being so critical when he is only 20 in his second season in the NHL. These kids don't develop overnight. You've seen what? Not even 30 games? I mean come on people. You're not even giving the kid a chance to develop.

He has a good first 15 games or so and then people unrealistically expect a 20 year old sophomore to continue playing well even with lesser linemates. There's a reason he was only working well with Antropov. That's because Antropov is one of the only guys on the team that actually gets open. People say he's not a good distributer of the puck and holds onto it too long, but it does no good to try and force passes to guys that aren't open. Kane is still learning how to play the game with his head and not his talent, and Little was just starting to heat up before he was moved off of that line.

Not every player thinks on the same level or the game the same way. First you have to understand how a player thinks the game before you can get a good idea of how he plays the game. Believe it or not, he doesn't have as good of a backhanded pass as Kane.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:02 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

His offense will improve over time, but what's amazing about Burmistrov is his defensive ability. With the proper development of his talents, I could see him winning a Selke at some point in his career.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:39 PM
markisonfire

Kings won't trade Kopitar without a stupid good package coming back, so I really doubt it. Doughty, though... Maybe. Something around Enstrom and Burmistrov. The Kings would never do it, but I might.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
He lived with Antropov in Atlanta apparently.
Not true.
Burmistrov lived in Slava Kozlov's house while Antropov was house sitting for Kovalchuk who still kept his Atlanta house after the trade.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote