HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh - Phoenix

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2011, 12:15 AM
  #1
Bennett Brauer
Registered User
 
Bennett Brauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,341
vCash: 500
Pittsburgh - Phoenix



Rostislav Klesla
Ray Whitney




Paul Martin
Steve Sullivan

I think the Pens need to add more to make the trade more appealing to Phoenix, what else would the Coyotes want?

Bennett Brauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:23 AM
  #2
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?
 
Naych_PHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: phoenix
Posts: 5,717
vCash: 500
Meh, Whitney's our leading scorer and, an actual offensive anchor for this team atm. Klesla is banged up right now. Such a solid defensive guy. I like Martin, he's probably the better player but those guys we'd give up are important cogs. Klesla is not the defenseman who's available.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:41 AM
  #3
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 5,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
pens
Rostislav Klesla
Ray Whitney
coyotes
Paul Martin
Steve Sullivan

I think the Pens need to add more to make the trade more appealing to Phoenix, what else would the Coyotes want?
Why? Would the Pens offer Staal? There is no incentive for the Coyotes to do the trade and it does not improve the roster.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:48 AM
  #4
Bennett Brauer
Registered User
 
Bennett Brauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Why? Would the Pens offer Staal? There is no incentive for the Coyotes to do the trade and it does not improve the roster.
You're right, the Coyotes do not have any incentive to do this, but the Pens never offer Staal in a trade like this though. Sullivan and Whitney are both nearing the end of their careers and become UFAs in the summer. Klesla and Martin are both good top 4 defensemen.

I wouldn't mind adding Jeffrey and a mid to late round draft pick but not Jordan Staal.

Bennett Brauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:53 AM
  #5
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 40,598
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
One guy I'd kill for is Shane Doan. What the hell would that cost us?

Pittsburgh's 1st/Tyler Kennedy/Dustin Jeffrey for the ultimate rental? (and yes.. I realize it's not realistic. This would be ONLY if Phoenix fell apart completely and it wasn't likely for him to re-sign)

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:02 AM
  #6
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,588
vCash: 500
I'd rather have Martin long-term than Klesla if all things were equal, but Klesla may be having a better season and makes a lot less money, which probably matters a lot to a team like Phoenix. Whitney is also miles better than Sullivan. I really don't see any reason for Phoenix to do this deal.

I'm with Cole on being a huge Doan fan. He's the type of forward Shero and Bylsma probably dream of, but I'd imagine most GM's and coaches dream of having a heart and soul guy like Doan on their club. Coyotes are lucky to have him.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:11 AM
  #7
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 5,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
You're right, the Coyotes do not have any incentive to do this, but the Pens never offer Staal in a trade like this though. Sullivan and Whitney are both nearing the end of their careers and become UFAs in the summer. Klesla and Martin are both good top 4 defensemen.

I wouldn't mind adding Jeffrey and a mid to late round draft pick but not Jordan Staal.
...and the Coyotes will still not ask Whitney to waive his NMC. Nor would they be willing to take on Martin's contract. Jeffrey would not be enough, too slow for there 3rd line and not better than Gordon to upstage him on the 4th. Rather have Michalek than Martin.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:18 AM
  #8
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 5,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
One guy I'd kill for is Shane Doan. What the hell would that cost us?

Pittsburgh's 1st/Tyler Kennedy/Dustin Jeffrey for the ultimate rental? (and yes.. I realize it's not realistic. This would be ONLY if Phoenix fell apart completely and it wasn't likely for him to re-sign)
as unrealistic as the Coyotes offering their 1st, Turris, & O'Reilly for Staal

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:48 AM
  #9
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 24,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
...and the Coyotes will still not ask Whitney to waive his NMC. Nor would they be willing to take on Martin's contract. Jeffrey would not be enough, too slow for there 3rd line and not better than Gordon to upstage him on the 4th. Rather have Michalek than Martin.
Jeffrey isn't slow.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:56 AM
  #10
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,639
vCash: 500
Jordan Staal's great but the Coyotes already have Martin Hanzal under contract at a better price for six years while Staal is UFA in 18 months time.

If there's a Penguin they want it's probably Michalek despite his contract being a tad expensive. They could balance it by sending back Morris.

Pittsburgh
Ray Whitney
Derek Morris

Phoenix
Zbynek Michalek
Eric Tangradi

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 06:03 AM
  #11
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 24,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Jordan Staal's great but the Coyotes already have Martin Hanzal under contract at a better price for six years while Staal is UFA in 18 months time.

If there's a Penguin they want it's probably Michalek despite his contract being a tad expensive. They could balance it by sending back Morris.

Pittsburgh
Ray Whitney
Derek Morris

Phoenix
Zbynek Michalek
Eric Tangradi
That's an expensive price for those guys, I'd pass.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 07:18 AM
  #12
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 47,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Jordan Staal's great but the Coyotes already have Martin Hanzal under contract at a better price for six years while Staal is UFA in 18 months time.

If there's a Penguin they want it's probably Michalek despite his contract being a tad expensive. They could balance it by sending back Morris.

Pittsburgh
Ray Whitney
Derek Morris

Phoenix
Zbynek Michalek
Eric Tangradi
We can't be dealing Michalek.

Counter:

Ray Whitney for Eric Tangradi and Brian Strait.

Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:17 AM
  #13
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,639
vCash: 500
If the Coyotes are to deal their leading offensive player they need to be getting back a player who can play in the NHL now and help them win to make the playoffs in the toughest division in hockey.

Brian Strait doesnt do that. I dont think he even makes the Coyotes. Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, Klesla, Roszival, Aucoin, Morris, Schlemko, Summers makes 8 d-men and next year Gormley steps up.

I'm sure you like Michalek, but Phoenix certainly wont be trading Whitney for AHLers. Its just awkward to make a trade feasible here.


Last edited by Gwyddbwyll: 12-10-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:22 AM
  #14
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 24,036
vCash: 500
Yotes trading Whitney only makes sense really if they're out of the playoff race at the deadline.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:35 AM
  #15
87turbobuick
Registered User
 
87turbobuick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
One guy I'd kill for is Shane Doan. What the hell would that cost us?

Pittsburgh's 1st/Tyler Kennedy/Dustin Jeffrey for the ultimate rental? (and yes.. I realize it's not realistic. This would be ONLY if Phoenix fell apart completely and it wasn't likely for him to re-sign)
Doan is near the end, good rental for this year but that is probably
all he has left. Kennedy and Kunitz would be great for the Yotes.

87turbobuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:37 AM
  #16
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 47,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
If the Coyotes are to deal their leading offensive player they need to be getting back a player who can play in the NHL now and help them win to make the playoffs in the toughest division in hockey.

Brian Strait doesnt do that. I dont think he even makes the Coyotes. Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, Klesla, Roszival, Aucoin, Morris, Schlemko, Summers makes 8 d-men and next year Gormley steps up.

I'm sure you like Michalek, but Phoenix certainly wont be trading Whitney for AHLers. Its just awkward to make a trade feasible here.
How's this?

Kennedy and Tangradi for Whitney.

Phoenix gets a RH RW to replace some of Whitney's production, plus a big PF prospect in Tangradi.

Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:04 AM
  #17
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
How's this?

Kennedy and Tangradi for Whitney.

Phoenix gets a RH RW to replace some of Whitney's production, plus a big PF prospect in Tangradi.
Value isnt bad but there's no point for Phoenix to do this is there?

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:15 AM
  #18
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Value isnt bad but there's no point for Phoenix to do this is there?
I'm a big TK booster so I don't do this trade at all but if the Yotes are out of the playoffs, those are 2 good pieces (one solid NHL player and one who still has potential) for a rental. Of course, if the Yotes are in the playoffs Whitney for TK is a downgrade.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
  #19
Kimmo Therapy*
#44
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Latrobe, PA
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Honestly? People think that this is bad for the coyotes? I think it's a pretty even deal. Martin>Klesla and Whitney>Sullivan. Martin and Klesla are close in age and Sully and Whitney are also close in age. People underestimate Paul Martin mostly because of his sub-par season so far.

Klesla is a rock defensively but he doesn't chip in much offensively. I see Ray Whitney really, really clicking in Pittsburgh, though. He seems like the missing piece in our offense.

Kimmo Therapy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:12 PM
  #20
MidgetMyers
Registered User
 
MidgetMyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Whitney and Malkin on the same line.

This needs to happen.

MidgetMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:52 PM
  #21
SEALBound
RIP Elmer
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 500
Nah, Sid and Doan on the same line needs to happen.

Kennedy + mid-prospect + 3-4th.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:01 PM
  #22
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 47,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Nah, Sid and Doan on the same line needs to happen.
Doan just gives us more of what we already have - grit, leadership, and complementary scoring.

Whitney is the sort of winger who can create opportunities and direct traffic from the left wall on the PP. That's what we need.

Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:10 PM
  #23
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 46,988
vCash: 500
Ray Whitney IS our offense. We are nothing without him.

Klesla has been the most EFFECTIVE defenseman on the team this season.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:14 PM
  #24
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 46,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Jordan Staal's great but the Coyotes already have Martin Hanzal under contract at a better price for six years while Staal is UFA in 18 months time.

If there's a Penguin they want it's probably Michalek despite his contract being a tad expensive. They could balance it by sending back Morris.

Pittsburgh
Ray Whitney
Derek Morris

Phoenix
Zbynek Michalek
Eric Tangradi
Id kill to have Z back. Morris and Turris for Z and Sullivan? Turris would probably make a better winger, anyhow. Phoenix probably has to add, though.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:39 PM
  #25
The Brewmeister
#Winning.
 
The Brewmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Hammer
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,496
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Nah, Sid and Doan on the same line needs to happen.

Kennedy + mid-prospect + 3-4th.
Try better.

Try Tangradi + 1st for Doan.

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.