HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

2011 NL MVP Ryan Braun tested positive for PEDs (EDIT: wins appeal! No suspension)

Old
02-23-2012, 10:32 PM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Will Carroll is on twitter saying chain of custody played a part but wasn't the deciding factor.

The two most important tweets.

@injuryexpert: Repeatable result showed exactly how Braun's single test showed positive. Arbitrator agreed. Simple, isn't it?

@injuryexpert: The Braun decision was based on HOW the sample was corrupted. Panel was shown exactly what happened, why result was invalid.

So Braun's defense apparently was able to show how to replicate the test that was 4 times higher than any previous test and was able to show how it could have happened.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

He should've been suspended the 50 games anyway for being a massive *********.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Clowe Me

They didn't follow protocol. Reguardless of the results of that test, the test should be thrown out. It's like arresting someone and forgetting to read them their Miranda rights.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:25 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
He should've been suspended the 50 games anyway for being a massive *********.

If they start suspending people for being *********s, AJ Pierzynski is in trouble.

Jonathan Papelbon would get shot on sight.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:26 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Good, I'm glad he's not suspended. Great player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
again, he tested positive for ped's.

but he's going to get a pass solely based on chain of custody issues and the fans are going to ignore the positive.
Did he? I thought he just tested for a ridiculous level of testosterone?

As far as my knowledge on the topic goes, as soon as he heard that he failed a test, he agreed to take another one immediately and it was clean like the previous 2-3 tests he'd done last season.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:36 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

An athlete getting away with cheating? Of all the dramatic things.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:22 AM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
They didn't follow protocol. Reguardless of the results of that test, the test should be thrown out. It's like arresting someone and forgetting to read them their Miranda rights.
Exactly. All of the people saying that Braun should be suspended anyway should consider what they'd say if they were arrested for a crime based on DNA evidence that was left unsecured in some bro's fridge for a few days.

There's a reason that the chain of custody exists. If the MLB can't even handle getting the test into the lab in a reasonable timeframe, then they don't deserve the power to suspend Braun.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

So what exactly happened? They proved proved the postitive test was a result of the Herpes medication?

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:30 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
So what exactly happened? They proved proved the postitive test was a result of the Herpes medication?
Even that alone wouldn't overturn the result if it wasn't reported to Brewers doctors and if it was reported to Brewers doctors the positive test likely doesn't get this far because it's a necessary medication taken by the player.

Once again, we don't know all the facts. Will Carroll is saying the deciding factor is science and he has an article in to SI but doesn't know if/when they'll post it.

We have Lester Munson of ESPN saying Braun was willing to take a DNA test to prove the sample wasn't his but MLB declined.

Remember, the burden of proof is all on the player. You're basically guilty until proven innocent. Knowing that, it's going to take a lot to get a positive result overturned by an independent arbitrator.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:52 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
Exactly. All of the people saying that Braun should be suspended anyway should consider what they'd say if they were arrested for a crime based on DNA evidence that was left unsecured in some bro's fridge for a few days.

There's a reason that the chain of custody exists. If the MLB can't even handle getting the test into the lab in a reasonable timeframe, then they don't deserve the power to suspend Braun.
Exactly. If it wasn't even his sample, it'd be like getting charged for a crime because the lab accidentally tested the wrong DNA in a murder case.

Not saying it's true, but theres a lot to this story that we don't know.

The fact of the matter is; Ryan Braun is ****ing awesome.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Dan Patrick is saying they brought the collector into the hearing and that it took him 40 seconds to state his name and that he couldn't even look at Braun.

Collector was also a Cubs fan who bypassed two open Fed Ex locations and went to the third one which was closed.

Old
02-24-2012, 12:58 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Braun's news conference is in a few minutes. Every local TV and radio station is covering it here. I'm sure ESPN, MLB Network and MLB.com will have it too.

Old
02-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
@FauxJohnMadden: Coming up on SportsCenter.. Ryan Braun beats his suspension, but how good would Jeremy Lin and Tim Tebow be on steroids

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:57 PM
AdmiralsFan24

I think that press conference was the biggest home run Braun has ever hit.

Old
02-24-2012, 08:08 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

A urine sample is sealed immediately after urination. Prior to urination the subject signs the seal, then he goes to pee. After he pees in the cup, the UPL take the signed seal, makes the subject verify his signature and SS number, and then places the seal over the cap, then places the sample in a box that also gets sealed.

MLB has done this a million times. Braun is a fraud for saying he did nothing wrong.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:42 PM
juiceman

16-year old blogger scooped everyone concerning Braun's mishandled sample 10 days before it was made official:

http://deadspin.com/5888108/i-didnt-...le-10-days-ago

This article seems to suggest that there was possibly a third party that might have tampered with the sample. The third party happens to be the urine collector's 22-year old son.

Now the drug testing policy does allow for "unusual circumstances" for delaying the shipment of the sample to the lab. However, this is in place for things such as severe weather, etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/sp...ewanted=1&_r=1

juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:27 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
A urine sample is sealed immediately after urination. Prior to urination the subject signs the seal, then he goes to pee. After he pees in the cup, the UPL take the signed seal, makes the subject verify his signature and SS number, and then places the seal over the cap, then places the sample in a box that also gets sealed.

MLB has done this a million times. Braun is a fraud for saying he did nothing wrong.
How do you figure? He even offered to do a DNA test on his sample, but the MLB declined.

He also took another test days after the positive test came back and it was clean.

It's pretty evident that the sample was tampered with.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:58 PM
AdmiralsFan24

I love this. In baseball's drug testing policy you're guilty until proven innocent. Braun proves his innocence and a lot of people still say, ehh, he's guilty.

Old
02-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

It sat at the guy's house over the weekend. Who knows if he tampered with it, or that it was even Braun's sample. Reguardless, the collector didn't do his job correctly and the test should be thrown out. If you believe Braun or not is your opinion, but he has done everything in his power to clear his name since the first report came out.

Old
02-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I love this. In baseball's drug testing policy you're guilty until proven innocent. Braun proves his innocence and a lot of people still say, ehh, he's guilty.
I believe him. How can his testosterone be 3 times higher than anyone elses ever collected? He offered to do more tests immediately following the suspension.

They may need to adopt the probation style of drug testing and watch the player go then directly deliver it where it needs to go.

Old
02-25-2012, 05:27 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Any reasonable person would believe him. Testosterone makes you bigger, faster and stronger. If average t/e ratio is 1:1 and he was 20:1. I think you would notice a difference.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:32 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Could Braun turn around and sue the MLB for pretty much screwing this up?

I mean if you think about it, this will hurt Braun and his marketability. You know that some businesses will now shy away from using him EVEN if he was proven innocence, simply because there is that lingering doubt.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:54 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Not sure if he could sue MLB, if he finds out he could probably sue whoever leaked this to ESPN and sue that person. If he can conclusively prove the guy who handled the test tampered with it he could probably sue him too.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:18 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Not sure if he could sue MLB, if he finds out he could probably sue whoever leaked this to ESPN and sue that person. If he can conclusively prove the guy who handled the test tampered with it he could probably sue him too.
Tampered with it intentionally.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/jimrome/statuses/173988308781768705
Quote:
The fact that Bud Selig hasn't apologized to Ryan Braun publicly essentially tells you he thinks he's a cheater. And got over.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote