HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The _______, the Powerplay, and the Enroth

Old
12-10-2011, 08:54 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
ugly
where was the energy line?
In the press box (sardonically) /

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Dreakon

Leino falls down a lot.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ruff bagging on the static nature of his powerplay. Heh. Do something about it. Embarrass them if you have to -- put Ellis' line out there the next time the first unit pulls that crap. It's been ALL SEASON.

12-10-2011, 09:04 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Most of what got past Enroth might have been weak, but it will take more than 1 goal to win most games. Heck... it'll take more than 2 a lot of times. A regular needs to heat up and this power play needs to get going.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Most of what got past Enroth might have been weak, but it will take more than 1 goal to win most games. Heck... it'll take more than 2 a lot of times. A regular needs to heat up and this power play needs to get going.
Yep. This was a game for the forwards to pick up the goaltenders. Those sort of efforts for this group is rare.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The Good -

- Eh. Vanek's shot was a snipe.
- Regehr putting Gaborik into the Tunnel.

The Bad -

- Giving up two shorties, one for each unit.

The Ugly -

- Enroth with three weak goals. That was prime Portlandia for Jhonas.
- Why recall Stuart to kill penalties and only give him one PK shift? Throw Whitmore a bone.
Oh I think the power play was more ugly than Enroth, but he was certainly bad on a couple of those goals.

Where to begin with the power play...

1. Stafford. No problem with having him out there, but WTF is he doing on the right wing? Get on on the other side so he can one-time the puck!

2. Get Roy on the other side so he can one-time the puck.

Hey Sabres, in case you didn't get the memo I sent you, here's a recap. This is the NHL, you can't afford to give PKillers and extra .5 seconds to close in on a shooting lane. Even if you don't 1-time the shot, you can at least give them the impression of it which makes them all a little more nervous. Start putting your players in a position to SUCCEED, don't take it easy on the opposition just because you have the extra attacker!

3. The goal line. Did you guys see that sweet ass goal the Panthers scored against the Sabres last night? Set play. Down below the goal line and out to the point for a quick release. That, is a goal-tending NIGHTMARE. And guess what? It backs off the Pkillers from your point men so you can close in for better range and maybe even prevent more SH chances against. It's time to stop running these blue line cross-rink to the weak sides...garbage. Practice some set down low plays to keep them honest, and see what happens.

4. Vanek is IMO the best net man in the game, but the pucks aren't getting through. Most of the problem and the solution has already been covered, but there is one last thing. AIM BETTER.

That is all.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Tachycineta

Quote:
Agreed. They skated well, but they can't score. With all that talent, someone's got to start popping the biscuit in the basket.
I'm sorry- you just reminded me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjkUMbrT5SU

(I know it's an old ad from last year).

And I agree- the effort was good.. a couple weak goals against and no finish. I thought the game was high tempo, esp in the 1st and 2nd.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:54 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Someone coiuld get the flu between now and Tuesday.
tempting fate, aren't we? Quick, everyone start coughing all over Gragnani!

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:07 PM
slip

Quote:
Yep. This was a game for the forwards to pick up the goaltenders. Those sort of efforts for this group is rare.
We needed a quick score to start the 3rd period. The Higgins goal was painful but damn a quick retaliatory strike and it's still a one goal game with 3/4 of a period left to play. Way to shrink from the occasion, oh highly overpaid forward corps.

I think it was HarryNealesGarden in the GDT who said bench Enroth and insert Miller to start the 3rd, if only to spark the guys. I thought he was spot on with that observation. I think Ruff dropped the ball and needs to get his **** together. I worry when the coach lacks the passion/decisiveness to use every trick at his disposal to motivate his players in a tight game, and....

also recognize when your "back-up" is fighting the puck and struggling mentally (hence the poor positioning on the Higgins goal).

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
No problem with the effort, just the results. No finish and no goaltending = loss.
this sums it up

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:22 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

I'm sick of the Sabres making backup goalies look like Vezina winners. We need to add a legit 1st liner, we have one in Vanek and 2 borderline ones in Poms and Roy. Let's package Stafford, Ennis, Pysyk and a 1st for Bobby Ryan or Rick Nash. I'd do it in a heartbeat, and having Vanek, Ryan/Nash, Pominville and Kassian as your 4 top 6 wingers would really be impressive.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:24 PM
sabresEH

Didn't get to watch the game tonight. But looking at the boxscore why does Lindy continue to use the same 5 players when they aren't getting it done. Ennis got what? 0:19 seconds on the PP. Ennis is a great PP guy and he gets 19 seconds.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:29 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I have a feeling that ruff will be putting pominville back on the powerplay point.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:39 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
Didn't get to watch the game tonight. But looking at the boxscore why does Lindy continue to use the same 5 players when they aren't getting it done. Ennis got what? 0:19 seconds on the PP. Ennis is a great PP guy and he gets 19 seconds.
They struggle to even gain the zone. Against Florida last night I watched them on one PP get rejected on 3 straight finesse entries into the offensive zone; finally somebody had enough sense to dump it in the 4th time around. We actually gained control of the puck and got off a couple great shots/scoring attempts. Florida eventually cleared the puck, and on the 5th attempted entry we tried to finesse it in again and got our pockets picked! By then the PP was over.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Matty K

I get the feeling Enroth won't be seeing another Game for a while after tonight's performance.

Matty K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
I'm sick of the Sabres making backup goalies look like Vezina winners. We need to add a legit 1st liner, we have one in Vanek and 2 borderline ones in Poms and Roy. Let's package Stafford, Ennis, Pysyk and a 1st for Bobby Ryan or Rick Nash. I'd do it in a heartbeat, and having Vanek, Ryan/Nash, Pominville and Kassian as your 4 top 6 wingers would really be impressive.
Rather package for a center, and that is overpayment for Ryan.

We're going to look like pushovers on HBO's RTTWC.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:23 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post

That isn't overpayment for a 24 year old three time 30 goal scorer who averages ~140 hits a season and is on pace for another 30 goal campaign in an "off" year in my eyes, and we need a legitimate 30 goal or 75+ point forward badly, regardless of position....we aren't going to find a center with the talent/production level of a Nash or Ryan, so if we have to acquire a 1st line winger then so be it.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:

too bad weber was out, he could have used richards face for a speed bag to make another 24/7 cameo lol

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:43 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Yeah, I'm gonna find that not easy to stomach...don't play the Flyers til February. Rangers? Yo no se.

Hopefully, HBO will play the banged up angle and not the-team-is-an-absolute-****ing-joke angle. Although the latter would be fitting.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Luceni

Well I think we played well with our "wounded" team.
We didn't bury our chances and that's the reason we've lost.

That the Power Play still sucks is nothing news to me.

Loved the game of Ennis tonight.
If he, Stafford, Roy and Vanek would have scored on his chances, we had won.

My GBU:

Good:
- Vaneks snipe
- Tunnel of death
- being competive to the Rags with our wounded roster.

Bad
- stinkers on enroth
- No finish

Ugly
- Power Play
- The major Penalty Call against the Isles yesterday.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:10 AM
skibum

Huge disappointment last night. The Rangers spent a lot of time practically begging the Sabres to score, but it wasn't happening.

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:42 AM
moltenlava26

Dear God, this team needs a leader. Once that 3rd goal was scored, you could have turned the game off. Its funny, Philly goes down 3-0, and rallies. The Sabres go down 3-1 and essentially pack it in.

I watched the Sabres highlights on the GDT, and boy, do I miss THAT team. The one where you never felt you were going to lose. You hated missing the start of the game because the Sabres might be up 2 zip. I know Drury and Danny B brought a ton to this team, but WoW what a difference.

Well Enroth, glad we got to see you. Have a nice Christmas and January, because we won't see you till Feburary. UGH

moltenlava26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:55 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Good:
- Effort, 60 full minutes for once.
- Leino-Adam-Kassain, once again playing real well together.
- Vanek being a sniper.

Bad:
- The goaltending. 2 Shawtaaaaaaays? Can't win with that.

Ugly:
- "High and wide." The game was ours if a few pucks would've just been a few inches lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenlava26 View Post
Dear God, this team needs a leader. Once that 3rd goal was scored, you could have turned the game off. Its funny, Philly goes down 3-0, and rallies. The Sabres go down 3-1 and essentially pack it in.
To be completely fair that happened to Philly in the 1st period. They had A LOT more time to work with.

Last edited by barnell: 12-11-2011 at 11:02 AM.
barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:41 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnell View Post
Good:
- Effort, 60 full minutes for once.
- Leino-Adam-Kassain, once again playing real well together.
- Vanek being a sniper.

Bad:
- The goaltending. 2 Shawtaaaaaaays? Can't win with that.

Ugly:
- "High and wide." The game was ours if a few pucks would've just been a few inches lower.

To be completely fair that happened to Philly in the 1st period. They had A LOT more time to work with.
Effort was better, but don't know how you can say the team played 60 minutes. They gave up 2 shorthanded goals for god-sakes. No team playing a full 60 minutes gives up 2 shorthanded goals.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenlava26 View Post

I watched the Sabres highlights on the GDT, and boy, do I miss THAT team. The one where you never felt you were going to lose. You hated missing the start of the game because the Sabres might be up 2 zip. I know Drury and Danny B brought a ton to this team, but WoW what a difference.

Well Enroth, glad we got to see you. Have a nice Christmas and January, because we won't see you till Feburary. UGH
You said it. Enroth had a poor game, but the forwards didn't help out much, the game isn't completely on his shoulders, but he should've had at least 2 of those goals, especially the Callahan one. We're not scoring goals period. Where is our offense? Looks so damn sloppy, it's mind boggling. This team really needs a leader, I await the day someone in the locker room steps up, because Pommy, as great a player he is, is not a real captain.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote