HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos 2011 Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2011, 02:00 AM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Edmonton Eskimos 2011 Part 4

Last thread is full

Old
10-30-2011, 02:10 AM
timekeep

keep it up Gordie, some of your teammates need to take a look at that effort and the way you appreciate the chance you are getting to finally play. Tighten up that helmut though.

Old
10-30-2011, 03:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Believe it or not I watched that travesty of a game again on PVR(fast forwarding) just to get another look.
What I saw is that when BC beat us for TD drives it was on some pretty good execution. Particularly the first 2 drives.

But heres the thing, after making adjustments the Eskimos D effectively stops BC the rest of the way, only giving up 2 FG's after the game was 14-7(until the dying minutes when they gave up another TD.

In the time between BC TD's the Eskimos had the ball 11 times. 11 possessions. 2 of those being shortfield situations, one on the 51 yd line, one on the 43yd line. They didn't get pts on either short field situation. Not one point. From the first quarter, to late in the game, they managed only two FG's.

But then finally late in the game the Eskimos offense wakes up, scores a TD and people are upset because the Lions FINALLY answer with a TD.

So what. The brunt of the game, a whole 40 minutes, the Offense wasn't doing ANYTHING to get us back in this game.

Theres no excuse whatsover going 10 drives in a row against what BC had to offer on D last night and accomplishing nothing.

That was the game. Not the bookend moments people were talking about.

Old
10-30-2011, 05:39 AM
AJGass4

Thanks for that post Replacement, I enjoy someone breaking down the game instead of bashing everything about a team that has played over their heads this season.

If nothing else, they are going to have to work very hard to host a playoff game and the last game of the season means everything.

They are going to play a team that has nothing left to play for and it's going to be hard to beat Saskatchewan. But I guess we see what this team is actually made of and hope for the best.

If they are good enough, they get another chance to play BC, if not, well that's just the way this league goes and questions will have to be answered.

My only complaint is that when we have the oppotunity to put the ball in the endzone, our play calling seems to falter. Many times I watch them try to put the ball in where there just isn't a play. Crandell has to come up with something.

Old
10-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Klaus*

What I saw last night (as I feel Replacement left a lot out of his post).

The opening BC Lions drive; an ill prepared defense that was expecting the run and couldn't defend against the pass. Undisciplined coverage and taking unnecessary risks in an attempt to make the big play. Jumping routes, playing too far off receivers, poor execution in the zone defense. The pursuit on the bubble screen TD pass was just abysmal. Defense basically gave up the score without even trying to stop a very stoppable Lions offense as Hamilton proved the week prior.

Second BC Lions drive, again the defense fails to show up. Inexcusable, going back to the Toronto game, 6 straight drives they've given up due to not being able to adjust to what the opposing offense is doing. The scoring play to, I believe Jackson is once again a disgustingly poor representation of coverage that should have not been allowed to happen.

The Esks 2nd offensive possession; the one Replacement coveniently fails to mention that prevented this game from being a blowout before the half. Ricky Ray drives the Esks 80+ yards, takes 7 minutes off the clock and gives the defense a much needed rest that they didn't deserve at all and responds with a solidly executed TD pass. 14-7.

So the defense played 2 series in the first quarter and gave up lengthy TD scores on both of them. No fault of theirs at all.

In the 2nd quarter, both offenses stalled for the most part. Lulay did very little against our defense and Ray did little against the Lions D. Yet, at the same time, our offense gets blamed for being ineffective and no credit is given to the Lions D. Our Defense gets all the credit for stopping Lulay and no blame is placed on this QB. It's interesting, coming from someone whom has soured on Ray myself, to see the obvious double standard. Ray had one, yes one, truly horrendous drive in the 1st half where he threw a pathetic attempt at a screen pass and took an inexcusable time count violation. Duval then misses a 51 yard FG. Undoubtedly Ray's fault as well.

3rd Q opens with the Esks driving and settling for a FG. Defense, no longer interested in continuing to implement their 'adjustments', proceeds to give up a FG of their own. Again, the offenses are largely ineffective through the 3rd quarter. Ray misses a couple long passes that probably could have been thrown better. Horrid mismanagement by the coaching staff, Kavis Reed and Marcus Crandell namely, continues. Blatant misuse of Messam continues.

4th quarter, Ray hooks up with Stamps for a 80+ yard TD catch and run, but Stamps drops the ball. I'm as big a fan as any of Stamps,but of course, no mention of this blatant drop that completely changes the momentum of the game. Ray eventually drives the Esks down the field for his second long and incredibly well executed TD drive of the game to get the score to with-in 2.

What does the defense respond with? Thery channel their sleepwalking 1st Q performance and let the Lions drive the field with absolutely no resistance. Bad tacking, actually, bad fundamentals all around. Once again they're playing loose man coverage and lackadaisical zone. They're going for the big play and refusing to actually make it. Lulay won't soon be a part of an easier response TD drive than the one last night.

And then in all his infinite wisdom, Reed, down 2 scores with less than 3 minutes left, decides to kick the ball away. Can anyone explain this one to me? Did he actually think our defense, the one that was getting driven on and slapped around 60% of the time they were on the field, could actually stop the Lions? Of course, Lulay, not respecting our, IMO overrated, defense one bit proceeds to throw the ball 3 times in a row to pick up 2 first downs.

Game over. The aforementioned was the game with equal blame on the offense, defense and special teams if one is looking at this one without an agenda.

Old
10-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Looks like the Esks might now have the 3rd best QB in the west. Tate has looked really good. Ray really needs to pick it up...

(and just as I type that, tate throws a pick lol)

Old
10-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Dogs View Post
And then in all his infinite wisdom, Reed, down 2 scores with less than 3 minutes left, decides to kick the ball away.
Yeah, that really pissed me off.

Reed's done some good things this year but his on the fly decision making is beyond atrocious. That was a total "deer caught in the headlights" moment.

Old
10-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Dogs View Post
Game over. Equal blame on the offense, defense and special teams if one is looking at this one without an agenda.
I read all your post, and considered it, its still clear we won't agree. Although we do agree on a few things. Bradley was showing a lot of jumping on balls last night and got burned alone on it 2-3 times. I think a lot of the fault is on him. I also agree with Messam not being properly used and them not having any design on going weakside with all the BC injuries. That was just stubborn, if not stupid having him go right up the gut.

Coaching. Some kinks in the armor. Not sure if you noted it but I looked at the game a few times and singles out some interesting stuff. Reed is boiling over more and I'm wondering how great his grasp on the all of the team is at this moment. Bowman, who seeminly does weird stuff like this regularly, is seen looking ill after a play, spits up, possibly throws up, looks a little hurt, but walking, then down on one knee. At no time did the Refs, Esks, or anybody in the building know if Bowman was OK. Because the Esks didn't know and couldn't prepare for the next play they burn a timeout. Bowman's on field reactions are often wierd for lack of any other word to describe it(he vomits a lot, even players have talked about that).

Messam, after a few runs, is tired, walks off the field(not sure whether this was by design or taking himself out for a rest as he's done before) Messam is then seen arguing behind REED and Crandel that he wants back in. Reeds face contorting at that moment and he moves right in front of Messam so as to make it clear he's not being direct back in. Just struck me as odd how much a guy like Messam is continuing to stretch boundaries.

I dare say the coaching staff is dealing with a few players like that who are not beyond being distractions.

Finally, look at it this way. I won't mention names yet but go through the personnel on offense and defense and ask yourself which players had a good game. Then ask yourself which players at least played with the proper intensity. I can think of a handful of defenders that had a good outing. I don't know that I can pick one guy on the offense, even Hinse, that did.

Old
10-30-2011, 02:04 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Anyone see that PI call just now in the Stampeders/Alouettes game?

Yikes

Old
10-30-2011, 02:31 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Anyone see that PI call just now in the Stampeders/Alouettes game?

Yikes
Having a hard time figuring which team is which. Calgary needs to go back to more red. Since Reebok started making the CFL jerseys they have looked bad.

Old
10-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Damn. Well, the Esks did it to themselves.

Old
11-02-2011, 05:27 PM
MoneyGuy

I can see the final weekend of the season going like this:

- Edmonton beats the Riders - with Winnipeg playing a backup QB and some other ills, the Esks must win this game as I'm pretty sure Calgary will beat the Bummers. If we lose then we likely get third place, because....
- Calgary beats the Bummers - see above.
- Montreal beats B.C. With Winnipeg losing, this game suddenly becomes meaningful as it determines first place, so the Als will be motivated.

If this happens, first place is ours. Yup, I'm predicting the above.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

If the offense doesn't turn the ball over the esks will win. Geez I hope they cut Bauman after this year. The guys making ~$1000 a yard.

Last edited by Tavaresmagicalplay*: 11-02-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old
11-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Yeah, Bauman was one of Tillman's rare miscalculations. Guy is brutal.

Old
11-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I can see the final weekend of the season going like this:

- Edmonton beats the Riders - with Winnipeg playing a backup QB and some other ills, the Esks must win this game as I'm pretty sure Calgary will beat the Bummers. If we lose then we likely get third place, because....
- Calgary beats the Bummers - see above.
- Montreal beats B.C. With Winnipeg losing, this game suddenly becomes meaningful as it determines first place, so the Als will be motivated.

If this happens, first place is ours. Yup, I'm predicting the above.
I agree with your scenario.

Old
11-03-2011, 05:27 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I agree with your scenario.
I can sell my eyes now; I've seen everything.

Old
11-04-2011, 08:31 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Good start by the defence

Bad start by the offence

Old
11-04-2011, 08:35 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Brutal offensive passer interference call brings back a great play by the offence

I hate CFL reffing so much

Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
CFL refs, ladies and gentlemen...

Old
Klaus*

CFL refs being a joke again.

Old
awesomo
HARD!

can someone please re-educate these cfl "referees"

Old
Klaus*

God Ray... either get rid of the ball or run out of the pocket. That was ridiculous.

Old
11-04-2011, 08:36 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

That one penalty gave Saskatchewan 40 yards of field position, brutal.

Old
11-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Klaus*

LOL..... we suck.

Old
11-04-2011, 08:41 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

And Saskatchewan gets a touchdown. They can thank the refs for the field position.

Closed Thread