Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else think Feaster is crazy for refusing to rebuild

Old
12-12-2011, 04:52 PM
HugginThePost

vCash: 500
Yah...yah....everyone wants a shiny new toy just like our neighbors to the north. Are you willing to finish dead last for two to three years to accomplish this?

Look at the Oilers right now....do you see the makings of a Stanley Cup team? I see a few really great talents surrounded by average Joes. You don't win cups like that, you need an exceptional supporting cast to achieve that. They need a full defense and a real goalie....what do you think it is going to take to get those players? Gagner? Hemsky? Only if you are a Fan Boy.

It will take one of the Big 3 to pry a top tier D man away. Of course they could try to get a potential franchise D in this years draft....and it looks like they will draft high again. But it takes time to develop a D man...to much time for them if they want to take advantage of the ELC's they possess.

There are more ways than one to "start over", look at what Philly managed to do in a single off season. Did it get them a Cup...no...but it got them a chance at it. I think Feaster is on the right track....his legacy will be written this off season. Tune in to see if it is a winning one...or a disaster.

HugginThePost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:26 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugginThePost View Post
Yah...yah....everyone wants a shiny new toy just like our neighbors to the north. Are you willing to finish dead last for two to three years to accomplish this?

Look at the Oilers right now....do you see the makings of a Stanley Cup team? I see a few really great talents surrounded by average Joes. You don't win cups like that, you need an exceptional supporting cast to achieve that. They need a full defense and a real goalie....what do you think it is going to take to get those players? Gagner? Hemsky? Only if you are a Fan Boy.

It will take one of the Big 3 to pry a top tier D man away. Of course they could try to get a potential franchise D in this years draft....and it looks like they will draft high again. But it takes time to develop a D man...to much time for them if they want to take advantage of the ELC's they possess.

There are more ways than one to "start over", look at what Philly managed to do in a single off season. Did it get them a Cup...no...but it got them a chance at it. I think Feaster is on the right track....his legacy will be written this off season. Tune in to see if it is a winning one...or a disaster.
They might be able to snag a top 4 d-man if they trade, Hemsky, Gagne, Lander, Parjaavi, etc.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:22 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
They might be able to snag a top 4 d-man if they trade, Hemsky, Gagne, Lander, Parjaavi, etc.
who is going to give up a major player for spare parts?

that's like saying the Flames can get a top line centre for Bourque, Stajan, Moss etc.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Janko Unchained
Repose en paix Jules

vCash: 1044
Hemsky and Paajarvi are hardly "spare parts"...Ganger has the talent...They can net a top-4 d-man for one of or a package of (some of) those guys.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezim View Post
Hemsky and Paajarvi are hardly "spare parts"...Ganger has the talent...They can net a top-4 d-man for one of or a package of (some of) those guys.
Hemsky's stock has plummeted due to numerous injuries, a lack of heart, and a lack of production.

Parv and his zero goals in 25 games? He is a 3rd line winger at best - ala Hagman

Again, packaging parts is still parts. If you were a GM would you take a collection of these players in exchange for a top D-man?

Old
12-13-2011, 04:38 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
Hemsky's stock has plummeted due to numerous injuries, a lack of heart, and a lack of production.

Parv and his zero goals in 25 games? He is a 3rd line winger at best - ala Hagman

Again, packaging parts is still parts. If you were a GM would you take a collection of these players in exchange for a top D-man?
Nobody is suggesting these players will bring Doughty, Lidstrom, or Weber. Maybe Kaberle, M.A Burgeron, C. Sarich, J. Corvo, etc., who are defensemen that would be top four on the Oilers blueline, but 5th to 7th defensemen on respectable blue-lines.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:42 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Nobody is suggesting these players will bring Doughty, Lidstrom, or Weber. Maybe Kaberle, M.A Burgeron, C. Sarich, J. Corvo, etc., who are defensemen that would be top four on the Oilers blueline, but 5th to 7th defensemen on respectable blue-lines.
ok, fair enough.

But those types of players are fairly easy to come by. IMO, the Oilers need a top d-man (arguably 2). And I think they have two choices with respect to getting one: trade one of the 3 kids, or be patient with the draft (which I don't think they can afford to do)

that's where I was coming from.

Old
12-13-2011, 06:34 PM
HugginThePost

Quote:
ok, fair enough.

But those types of players are fairly easy to come by. IMO, the Oilers need a top d-man (arguably 2). And I think they have two choices with respect to getting one: trade one of the 3 kids, or be patient with the draft (which I don't think they can afford to do)

Agreed. I don't think they are willing to trade one of the three either. And lets face it.....maybe Eberle isn't enough to get that Top Pairing D. They are so rare....no one wants to give them up. That means Hall or Nuge.....I don't see that happening.

Even if they did get the D man they need, there are so many other needs in that organization. They are currently blinded by Hall and Nuge....it will be their downfall.

Of course Tambo may pull off some great moves at the TDD and over the summer....but his past record doesn't support this.

HugginThePost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
ok, fair enough.

If only they still had Souray...

Old
12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Walesy1976

No, I like the gradual development that's happening. Comeau and Stempniak look good additions. At deadline day if we are not contending, guys like Moss, Hannan and Morrison could get 2nd/3rd round picks as they are experienced and cheap, to help us in the draft this year. I do believe one of Iggy, Bouw and Kipper needs be exchanged for prospects and picks to help the process but a fire sale isn't necessary. Also picking up a good UFA this summer would help - Suter or Parise would be insanely good but unlikely.

I think trading Kipper would yield the best return in terms of a good prospect and a 1st because he is elite and a workhorse who could take a team to the cup like Thomas did.

The next 20 games will heavily influence feaster's next moves before trade deadline but I like what he's doing so far

Walesy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:40 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy1976 View Post
No, I like the gradual development that's happening. Comeau and Stempniak look good additions. At deadline day if we are not contending, guys like Moss, Hannan and Morrison could get 2nd/3rd round picks as they are experienced and cheap, to help us in the draft this year. I do believe one of Iggy, Bouw and Kipper needs be exchanged for prospects and picks to help the process but a fire sale isn't necessary. Also picking up a good UFA this summer would help - Suter or Parise would be insanely good but unlikely.

I think trading Kipper would yield the best return in terms of a good prospect and a 1st because he is elite and a workhorse who could take a team to the cup like Thomas did.

The next 20 games will heavily influence feaster's next moves before trade deadline but I like what he's doing so far
+1

Would love to bring back Stempniak, he seems like a perfect mentor for all the youth that is getting into our lineup. He is always doing something productive on the ice even when he is not scoring.

Comeau needs a longer look, but if he can keep up the hit parade then I would bring him back at appx. 1 million and use him in a bottom six grinder role.

I would like to keep Morrison only because I think his return would be very low based on his age. As long as he can keep playing he is a perfect utility guy for this team and provides very valuable leadership ala Stempniak.

Guys I would move if we are out of the race:

Kipper, Bourque, Moss, Sarich, Jokinen (we could re-sign him), Stajan (pipe dream at this point) and Iggy (unless he wants to stay).

I don't think we could land any big time talent like Parise or Suter, but Feaster maybe be able to work some magic. More realistic targets that would be help:

Stoll
T. Ruutu
Ray Whitney
Carcillo
Prust (doubt he would ever come back)
Boychuk
B. Jackman

I would love to see: Stoll, Boychuk, Carcillo and Ruutu/Whitney sign

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
No way will D. Sutter let Stoll go. He loves guys like that, and I remember Sutter even commenting when Stoll was on the Oilers what an underrated player he is.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
No way will D. Sutter let Stoll go. He loves guys like that, and I remember Sutter even commenting when Stoll was on the Oilers what an underrated player he is.
you do know that Darryl will be the coach and not the GM right? He may not have a say in who stays or goes. And Stoll is very likely gone as he will want an opportunity to push for a top 6 spot and that will not be happening in LA

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:59 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
you do know that Darryl will be the coach and not the GM right? He may not have a say in who stays or goes. And Stoll is very likely gone as he will want an opportunity to push for a top 6 spot and that will not be happening in LA
He might not have final decision, but I'm sure he has some say, like any coach will try to leverage a trade or resigning.

Old
12-14-2011, 03:49 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

You have 3 legit top 4 defenseman on your team...

I hate the Oilers but they have a young crop of guns. But let's be real, most of your defenseman barely play like top 4 guys

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Janko Unchained
Repose en paix Jules

vCash: 1044
Quote:
He might not have final decision, but I'm sure he has some say, like any coach will try to leverage a trade or resigning.
Sutter and Lombardi are also friends from their San Jose days together. Just like Feaster has Brent give him insight, I'm sure Lombardi would get insight from Darryl if he was the coach.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
A coach and GM that do not discuss player personel decisions do not usually have successful relationships. Based on Lombardi's and Sutter's history, I am sure Lombardi will try to accomdate Darryl to give him the best opportunity to be successful with guys that Darryl likes to use. A lot of coaches have whipping boys and its common that those guys get dealt.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
A coach and GM that do not discuss player personel decisions do not usually have successful relationships. Based on Lombardi's and Sutter's history, I am sure Lombardi will try to accomdate Darryl to give him the best opportunity to be successful with guys that Darryl likes to use. A lot of coaches have whipping boys and its common that those guys get dealt.
I said "may not have a say" and I really doubt Kopitar or Richards will be on the move. So I don't think Stoll will even consider staying in LA. It's more likely for him to sign in a place that is a weaker in their top 2 centers so he can earn an opportunity at a top 6 role, especially if LA doesn't show they can win.

Last edited by Medium Rare*: 12-14-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:46 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
I said "may not have a say" and I really doubt Kopitar or Richards will be on the move. So I don't think Stoll will even consider staying in LA. It's more likely for him to sign in a place that is a weaker in their top 2 forwards so he can earn an opportunity at a top 6 role, especially if LA doesn't show they can win.
I'm sure Stoll would take an offer elsewhere if it meant a top six role.

Old
12-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Walesy1976

I think the next 5 games are going to decide the fate of the club, We play 5 TOP teams. It will show if we are genuinely competitive or just having Kipper keep us in all our matches. If we get hosed 0-5 or 1-4 I think feaster has to plan a new year with a new coach and strategy to get the club back to seriously competitive. Squeaking to the playoffs year on year is not competitive. I'm talking about pushing for the cup. A plan to get in prospects and develop future talent with such a deep draft pool is too inviting. We have 1 pick in the top 60 so far. Iggy and Kipper still have value to get roster players plus picks and prospects and they must realise that they aren't going to win the cup with the flames in the next 2 years.

I like Feasters approach in not hitting the panic button but trading our elite talent for potential elite and picks is a becoming much more of an opportunity we cannot afford to pass up.

Of course I'll bake a humble pie just in case we go 5-0 before christmas so I can eat that and not turkey!

Walesy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:04 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy1976 View Post
I think the next 5 games are going to decide the fate of the club, We play 5 TOP teams. It will show if we are genuinely competitive or just having Kipper keep us in all our matches. If we get hosed 0-5 or 1-4 I think feaster has to plan a new year with a new coach and strategy to get the club back to seriously competitive. Squeaking to the playoffs year on year is not competitive. I'm talking about pushing for the cup. A plan to get in prospects and develop future talent with such a deep draft pool is too inviting. We have 1 pick in the top 60 so far. Iggy and Kipper still have value to get roster players plus picks and prospects and they must realise that they aren't going to win the cup with the flames in the next 2 years.

I like Feasters approach in not hitting the panic button but trading our elite talent for potential elite and picks is a becoming much more of an opportunity we cannot afford to pass up.

Of course I'll bake a humble pie just in case we go 5-0 before christmas so I can eat that and not turkey!
Feaster has talked about intellectual honesty a few tines now, so I'm sure he has a in-house deadline and a contingency plan.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
I said "may not have a say" and I really doubt Kopitar or Richards will be on the move. So I don't think Stoll will even consider staying in LA. It's more likely for him to sign in a place that is a weaker in their top 2 centers so he can earn an opportunity at a top 6 role, especially if LA doesn't show they can win.
I agree with you about Stoll actually, LA also has Loktionov who is waiting in the wings and is NHL ready. He has top 6 potential and they should not make him wait any longer. LA either needs to trade Loktionov and resign Stoll or let Stoll walk and make Loktionov an NHL regular next year. I'm siding with option B) as Loktionov's cap hit would be much less.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:37 PM
The Gnome

I think Stoll is almost exactly what this team needs. He may not be an elite talent, but the guy is a top six centre, dynamite on the FO's, has a bomb of a shot, and can play gritty.

Stoll is a great fit IMO.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote