HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Should the Ducks retire #9 for Paul Kariya

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2012, 05:39 AM
  #176
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 8,929
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
You're saying I forgot to mention that the company was doing terribly, but then in the very next paragraph you contradict yourself by saying that same company was 1 win away from a Stanley Cup. Based on that, the company was doing pretty well, as they came in 2nd overall.

As for the part in red, please show me where Kariya said he was committed to leading the Ducks at a much lower salary. I'll wait while you pull up the article...
Now you are just picking up things too lightly. The company is not doing good, if they dont have the money to pay the same salaries in order to advance in competition.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
  #177
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey
 
mmbt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Well, actually he should have taken a paycut. He was no longer worth 10million$. So he, as everybody else, has to face reality and accept the fact that he is no longer worth the money he was having. No big deal.
And he did accept that reality that he wasn't worth $10 mil a year, by the fact that he gladly took less elsewhere, and also that he never did anything but take the qualifying offer from Anaheim, rather than renegotiate for a longer-term deal at terms in-line with his production. If he were so confident he was worth that kind of money, he surely could have negotiated such a deal based on his performance, and would have also gained the security of a longer deal ... important given his concussion history.

And if he knows he's not worth it then why should he be offended when the Ducks come to the same realization? If I'm overpaid by an employer, and we both know it, I'm sure not going to be offended if at some point they ask me to take a paycut down to market value. That's not a "slap in the face."

I'll tell you what a "slap in the face" is ... it's when a player makes an MVP level salary, but all he wants to do is float around, avoid traffic, and take slapshots from 45 feet away. When he's clearly capable of much more. THAT is truly offensive, and we had to put up with that crap for several years before Murray finally had the balls to call the little chicken out on it.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:50 AM
  #178
Crazy8oooo
k ؃
 
Crazy8oooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Well, actually he should have taken a paycut. He was no longer worth 10million$. So he, as everybody else, has to face reality and accept the fact that he is no longer worth the money he was having. No big deal.
According to how things played out, he didn't have a problem taking a paycut...however, that doesn't take away the fact that Murray didn't tender him an offer once free agency began. You can't accept what isn't offered to you.


Last edited by Crazy8oooo: 04-23-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
  #179
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,208
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
First off, he wasn't just the best of a bad team...he was one of the best in the entire NHL.

Secondly, your analogy is a bit mixed up. Comparing Stanton, CA to the Mighty Ducks is correct...however, then you go on to compare the Ducks Hall of Fame to the Restaurant Hall of Fame, which is an incorrect analogy. The Restaurant Hall of Fame would be compared to the NHL Hall of Fame given the analogy you're making and the Duck Hall of Fame would then be compared to the 'Stanton' Restaurant Hall of Fame. So, given the correct analogies, yes, the nice restaurant in Stanton might indeed make the 'Stanton' Restaurant Hall of Fame if it is recognized as one of their best restaurants and biggest draws in the city, much the same way that Kariya was one of the best and one of their biggest draws on the team for all those years.
Way too literal.

Quote:
Now, because I never mentioned anything about a Hall of Fame, I'll bring it back to the level of retiring his jersey, since that's what this is about. Kariya was one of the only reasons anybody even watched the Ducks or became a fan of the Ducks and was one of the biggest names in hockey for several years. Because he was on terrible teams and didn't have much support around him, shouldn't dismiss his legacy within the organization. I realize it's your right to have that opinion, but the arguments being thrown around are really stemming from hate from him leaving the team more than anything, which is a shame, because he meant so much to the organization and deserves much better recognition for it.
Says who? However (arguably) large his impact was on the team, why isn't it equally relevant that a whole bunch of fans really don't like him?

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
  #180
Crazy8oooo
k ؃
 
Crazy8oooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Now you are just picking up things too lightly. The company is not doing good, if they dont have the money to pay the same salaries in order to advance in competition.
This argument might be valid, except for the fact that they immediately turned around and signed Fedorov for the same amount you're saying they could no longer afford to pay their captain in order to stay competitive.

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:02 PM
  #181
Crazy8oooo
k ؃
 
Crazy8oooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
Way too literal.



Says who? However (arguably) large his impact was on the team, why isn't it equally relevant that a whole bunch of fans really don't like him?
Way too literal? Your analogy was flawed and you used it to back up your points. I simply put it into proper perspective.

Fans opinions surely do matter...however, most of the criticism towards Kariya seems to be based on a lack of knowledge of what really transpired, which is why I ever responded in this thread to begin with. This is a forum in which people are supposed to have open discussions and share information and opinions on matters such as this. The unfortunate thing is that some people seem to get offended when someone questions their opinion or thought process.

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
  #182
la patineuse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
The article clearly says that it was Kariya's agent and not Kariya that told him he would get a chance to counter. There's nothing wrong with the article, as it says Murray is upset and felt mislead...only the misleading came from the agent according to the article. Why would Youngman choose to mention the agent as being the one who told Murray he would get a chance to counter, if in fact, it was Kariya who said it? That doesn't make any sense.
Hi again Paul. You really love it here don't you?

Who cares whether Baizley or Kariya said it? Now you're splitting hairs. I did acknowledge that Murray said Baizley told him this this in my earlier post, and I never said anything was wrong with the article (why would I reference it in the first place?). Baizley was Kariya's legal representative in contract negotiations with the Mighty Ducks and Murray did try to contract Kariya after 7/1/03 via Baizley, which would be the SOP when opening contract negotiations with a player, but none of Murray's calls were returned, so your assertion that Murray didn't try to "tender an offer" is not accurate. And I doubt Murray would have expressed these feelings if he felt it was just Baizley speaking on behalf of his client. BTW, why don't you start providing some links that say Murray didn't try to tender Kariya an offer? You made that accusation, so show us the quotes from either Kariya, Baizley, or Murray that show they said this was the case. The Mighty Ducks did not qualify Kariya at $10m; I don't recall any articles that said they weren't going to try to negatiate with him or try to counter offer. Again, show us the quotes that say this.

Also, it wasn't as if Kariya had an epiphany on 7/3/03 and said, "I think I'll sign with COL." It was thought out in advance according to Selanne at the COL PC; they had talked about where they wanted to play when they were both FAs and they had both said COL. And in terms of actual negations, Pierre Lacroix said in the same PC, that the negations were over a 36hr period before the contract was finalized and then announced at the afternoon PC (4:00 pm). The announcement that COL was going to have a press conference came earlier in the day, so the agreement was reached in a lot less than 72 hrs.

And your analogy of being slapped in the face by an employer when they lower your pay isn't remotely the same. First of all, Kariya left and took one of the largest pay cuts in NHL history to play for COL. Secondly, if I signed one-year performance contracts, but had not lived up to my side of the agreement with my performance level for the last couple of years, I wouldn't feel insulted if I were being honest with myself, and if I still were going to get a very good contact in order to stay with the company, make the company better, and possibly have the company offer a performance contract to a friend, no I wouldn't really feel all that slighted. In fact, I highly doubt I would have decided to take an 88% pay cut.

la patineuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:16 PM
  #183
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,226
vCash: 69
Guys...why does it even matter?

The team isn't oblivious. They know that if they held a number retiring ceremony there would be nothing but boos. Justified or not, that's a personal opinion. But no way are they going to knowingly put Kariya on that podium (after stripping the number of Ryan's back for that matter) to face 17,000 booing fans and just spoil that moment for him.

Ryan got the number, the question should've been answered for decades to come until everyone has forgotten about Kariya and what he did to this club. Regardless of the fact that this organization was considering trading Bobby, in fact that only adds to how much they think of that number.

It is not happening. I don't know why this is still such a hot topic. Kariya helped put this club on the map. He didn't do it alone. He had the help of the one guy likely to have his number raised. And in a franchise defining moment, he promised to bring this club to Stanley Cup glory. If he actually followed through, or brought us close, it would be more deserved. He didn't. He bolted for the chance to win it with a team of legends, and he did so for considerably less money than what was being offered by the club that drafted him. He put the name on the back of the jersey in front of the logo on the front. Why does a guy like that deserve to be honored? I'd raise Beauchemin's number first.

And mind you I'm not an ardent Kariya hater. When rumors swirled that he'd re-sign in Anaheim, I was part of the group trying to smooth the though over with fans. I thought he deserved the chance to redeem himself.

But it was something that needed redemption in the end. His final act with this club was one of selfish intent. He broke a promise to the fans, he punked the team that drafted him, and he went to a team and a situation where he believed he could do less work to reach a goal he promised to another club out of his own selfish interests. Karma got the last laugh when Teemu won the cup instead, but that doesn't erase history. His last act as a Duck was one that ultimately defines his legacy, and it's one that doesn't deserve honor.

Whether you agree with me on that point or not, the organization won't do it simply because doing so will be a debacle. They made their intent clear when they allowed Ryan to wear it. The fact that people still believes it can happen just astounds me.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:34 PM
  #184
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,225
vCash: 500
David Clarkson wore #27 in New Jersey in 2007. Ryan wearing the #9, especially when he was rumored to be the most likely player to be shipped out, isn't definitive of anything. I don't disagree necessarily with your other points, but I really don't think that Ryan wearing the number means as much as you do.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:04 PM
  #185
la patineuse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
I did find a Daily News article archived at http://www.thefreelibrary.com/FORMER...H.-a0104691062
Quote:
"Obviously Paul and Teemu were a team," Ducks general manager Bryan Murray said. I offered them more than it appears Colorado ended up paying them."
.....
"I'm very disappointed and frustrated by it," Murray said. "We had a great relantionship. Paul made a lot of money from Disney. We had many discussion[s] about making our team better. Teemu was one player Paul mentioned about should be encouraged to come to Anaheim."
from a 7/4/10 LAT article http://www.articles.matinee.com/2003...rts/sp-kariya4
Quote:
That did not sit well with Murray, who bristled at the suggestion that joining Colorado was a better hockey decision. He said he wanted to bring Kariya and Selanne together in Anaheim and made a pitch for them.

"My starting offer was more than the finished offer in Colorado," Murray said.
......
"They heard us loud and clear l, we wanted them in Anaheim. I don't understand it. We're a team that went to the Stanley Cup final, we're the team that looked like it had kids coming. They decided to phone Colorado and go there. From my point of view, that's not the way business is."

la patineuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:32 PM
  #186
Crazy8oooo
k ؃
 
Crazy8oooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
Hi again Paul. You really love it here don't you?
Now you're going to be condescending and refer to me as Paul? Nice...way to have a mature conversation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
Who cares whether Baizley or Kariya said it? Now you're splitting hairs.
If someone is being accused of being a lying rat, then the source of the comment in which that was derived from most definitely needs to be taken into consideration. One must actually tell a lie in order to be a liar.


Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
Murray did try to contract Kariya after 7/1/03 via Baizley, which would be the SOP when opening contract negotiations with a player, but none of Murray's calls were returned, so your assertion that Murray didn't try to "tender an offer" is not accurate.
Again, where is your source to back this up? It's quite interesting that the article you linked talks about how Kariya contacted Murray, how Kariya's agent contacted Murray, yet makes no mention of Murray contacting either of them after free agency began. It even goes on to state that Murray was upset at not being given a chance to counter, yet no mention of having tried to tender an offer. You would certainly think hat if Murray was going to go on record as saying he was upset at not being able to counter, that he'd also mention that he 'tried' making contact so that he could tender an offer. However, nothing was said about that...at least in the link you and I have both provided in this thread. If you have something else to share, please do so, as it would shed more light on this story. [/QUOTE]




Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
BTW, why don't you start providing some links that say Murray didn't try to tender Kariya an offer? You made that accusation, so show us the quotes from either Kariya, Baizley, or Murray that show they said this was the case.
That's a ridiculous request, given that you're asking me to produce proof of something that didn't happen. Things that don't happen, need not be mentioned, therefore, how do I produce proof of it? The burden of proof would be for you to show that it did happen and then I'd have to counter that, if I felt the proof was inaccurate. (Similar to you using Kariya's agents words to show that Kariya is a liar, even though it wasn't Kariya himself that said it)


Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
The Mighty Ducks did not qualify Kariya at $10m; I don't recall any articles that said they weren't going to try to negatiate with him or try to counter offer. Again, show us the quotes that say this.
I didn't say that they didn't intend to negotiate with him or counter him. In fact, the link we both posted states that Murray wanted to offer him a contract and also was upset at not being able to provide him with a counter offer. I don't deny the fact that he intended or wanted to. However, him intending to offer a contract is not the same as actually offering one. And as I mentioned above, there's no documented quotes/proof (that I've seen) that say that they did in fact offer him something, so it's not for me to show proof that it didn't actually happen. It's up to you, since you're suggesting that they did make attempts to offer him a contract, to show where you're getting that information from.


Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
Also, it wasn't as if Kariya had an epiphany on 7/3/03 and said, "I think I'll sign with COL." It was thought out in advance according to Selanne at the COL PC; they had talked about where they wanted to play when they were both FAs and they had both said COL. And in terms of actual negations, Pierre Lacroix said in the same PC, that the negations were over a 36hr period before the contract was finalized and then announced at the afternoon PC (4:00 pm). The announcement that COL was going to have a press conference came earlier in the day, so the agreement was reached in a lot less than 72 hrs.
Again, you can state that such and such said one thing or another all you want, but without linking a source, it's nothing more than speculation. I'll bite though...even if Kariya did begin talking about signing in Colorado the day free agency began, what exactly did he do wrong? Anaheim basically terminated him when they chose not to qualify him, thus opening up the possibility of losing him to another team. You can look at it from two different angles at that point. 1) How dare Kariya shun the fans and the organization after all they've done for him and all the money they've given him over these years. How dare he not at least give the Ducks a chance to counter offer him before jumping ship to another organization. (This is actually where it seems many of you sit) OR 2) How dare the organization shun Kariya that way by not qualifying him and even knowing full well that they may lose him on the open market, yet still risk it. Because mind you, Kariya, himself, told Murray on July 29 that if he wasn't qualified, he would explore other options.

Either of those two ways of looking at it can make either side look bad. It's a matter of looking at both ends and trying to understand where both parties where coming from. Hating Kariya for not giving them a chance to counter him before signing with Colorado, ok I get that...Hating him for misleading the Ducks or lying to them? Well, I don't understand that, because I've yet to see where he's lied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
And your analogy of being slapped in the face by an employer when they lower your pay isn't remotely the same. First of all, Kariya left and took one of the largest pay cuts in NHL history to play for COL.
Well, it's more than just the pay cut with my analogy. It's about him being the star player on the team, captain of the team, franchise player (at the time) and then being told, despite all of the above, that they're going to lower your pay...only now they're not just saying they're going to lower your pay, but are not giving you any new offers either. For someone who meant so much to the organization, they should have found a way to pre-negotiate a new contract before hitting July 1...and if it were evident that nothing could be agreed upon, then you make the choice, at that point, to either qualify him or risk letting him walk. From what the articles read, it looks like Murray just took for granted that Kariya would re-sign with them and didn't worry much about the threat of 'exploring other options'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
Secondly, if I signed one-year performance contracts, but had not lived up to my side of the agreement with my performance level for the last couple of years, I wouldn't feel insulted if I were being honest with myself, and if I still were going to get a very good contact in order to stay with the company, make the company better, and possibly have the company offer a performance contract to a friend, no I wouldn't really feel all that slighted. In fact, I highly doubt I would have decided to take an 88% pay cut.
I can't say that I disagree with you here. Although, I'm a firm believer in not burning bridges when making employment decisions. But with that said, the workforce that we belong to is far different than that of an athlete. An athlete can burn a team and/or be the biggest jerk in the world and still have teams lining up to sign them because of their talent. It doesn't affect them like it would affect you or I.

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:41 PM
  #187
Crazy8oooo
k ؃
 
Crazy8oooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
I did find a Daily News article archived at http://www.thefreelibrary.com/FORMER...H.-a0104691062


from a 7/4/10 LAT article http://www.articles.matinee.com/2003...rts/sp-kariya4
Great readings...thanks for posting those...It does leave a bit of a question as it first says, "The Ducks were expected to offer Kariya around $7 million on a three- year deal and perhaps $5 million more for Selanne, who became a free agent when he turned down a $6.5 million option by the San Jose Sharks. ", then later goes on to say what you quoted from Murray...so I'm not quite clear if that was actually offered or that is what Murray intended to offer...in any case. it still doesn't make Kariya a liar or rat...but does show that he did make the decision based on wanting to win a cup opposed to anything else...If that's why fans wouldn't want him to be honored, then I can completely understand that...but I still don't agree with the whole liar or rat label.

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
  #188
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,226
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
David Clarkson wore #27 in New Jersey in 2007. Ryan wearing the #9, especially when he was rumored to be the most likely player to be shipped out, isn't definitive of anything. I don't disagree necessarily with your other points, but I really don't think that Ryan wearing the number means as much as you do.
It's a good point. I just think this organization by reputation wouldn't give 9 away unless it meant they were not going to do anything with it. Clarkson wore 27 while Niedermayer was still playing for another team. It's a different situation. NJ wasn't allowed to talk to Scotty about anything regarding official NJD business at the time. It wasn't clear how much longer he'd be a Duck, and it wasn't clear that Scotty would agree to have his number raised. That's something he has to consent to. I realize that Bobby was awarded 9 while Kariya was still in the league so the same concept applies, but...I don't know...to me I would think management would've waited a little longer to award it to Bobby if they had any intention to lift Karyia's number.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Clarkson wasn't expected to be anything special circa 2007. Ryan was the club's top prospect and highest ever draft pick. He was well recognized as one of the best forwards not in the NHL. Expectations for him were high. By awarding the number of the guy who arguably is the only guy with enough merit to have his number retired with the exception of Selanne, to a future star or a guy at least expected to achieve some form of stardom (cause really with Ryan the sky was the limit. His production path was even higher than Getzlaf's first 2 years in the NHL and during his AHL stay.) they were knowingly moving past Kariya. I wouldn't mind seeing him honored in some way by the club.

Though you'd think the team would've made more mention of him after his retirement. I mean...did you notice how little attention Kariya's retirement got from the Ducks PR? Just adds to my suspicions that this organization was never going to lift his number to the rafters. Whether what he did, positive and negative meant he deserved it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
Great readings...thanks for posting those...It does leave a bit of a question as it first says, "The Ducks were expected to offer Kariya around $7 million on a three- year deal and perhaps $5 million more for Selanne, who became a free agent when he turned down a $6.5 million option by the San Jose Sharks. ", then later goes on to say what you quoted from Murray...so I'm not quite clear if that was actually offered or that is what Murray intended to offer...in any case. it still doesn't make Kariya a liar or rat...but does show that he did make the decision based on wanting to win a cup opposed to anything else...If that's why fans wouldn't want him to be honored, then I can completely understand that...but I still don't agree with the whole liar or rat label.
Well...liar and rat seem a little too inflammatory. But he did punk us. The guy promised a disappointed fan base a Stanley Cup. He made a promise, if he never did that people probably wouldn't be as mad. I mean I knew Anaheim offered both Selanne and Kariya contracts and that doesn't make me happy with Teemu, but Teemu had context on his side. He got traded for what was basically garbage and then the team that...well let's call it like it was...tossed him aside like trash wanted him back, you can understand why he'd decline. Another reason is, the Ducks team we had was...well I mean does anyone actually thing we were strong enough to win a cup that year? We were fortunate to make it as far as we did. Fortunate to make the postseason for that matter. And lastly and most importantly, Selanne never promised Anaheim a cup. He didn't betray anyone. If anything, his club betrayed him by trading him for a group of assets that amounted to a collective of what...187 games played and 40 goals? If that?

Kariya promised us a cup. And then in the greatest fit of irony this club has ever seen, he left us to pursue his own cup at a HUGE fraction of the salary and ended up failing in that quest as it was. Selanne came back to this team and fulfilled a promise he never made.


Last edited by DuckJet: 04-23-2012 at 02:51 PM.
DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:16 PM
  #189
Crazy8oooo
k ؃
 
Crazy8oooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Well...liar and rat seem a little too inflammatory. But he did punk us. The guy promised a disappointed fan base a Stanley Cup. He made a promise, if he never did that people probably wouldn't be as mad.
I have no problem at all with people feeling the way you are describing. I don't even have issues with you saying he punked the Ducks by splitting for a cup. I just don't think holding the guy as a liar simply because he mentioned wanting to bring a cup to Anaheim prior to not being qualified is fair. Maybe it's a matter of perception and obviously not everyone will agree on the matter, but I feel that when the Ducks failed to qualify him, it basically disqualified any commitments that had been previously spoken. The Ducks were first to violate the bond, so promising the cup in Anaheim is meaningless to me. I do think he should have at least contacted the organization and given them the heads up, at the very least, before accepting Colorado's offer...but aside from that, I don't share the opinion of taking away what he meant to the franchise while he was here.

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:01 PM
  #190
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,899
vCash: 500
Against my better judgement to get involved I'll offer up this:

If PK was even remotely sincere about winning the Cup in Anaheim and playing for one team his whole career, the whole deal would not have gone down like it did. Trying to split hairs over how it went down is not being able to see the forest for the trees.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
  #191
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,208
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
Way too literal? Your analogy was flawed and you used it to back up your points. I simply put it into proper perspective.
He said, while polishing his monocle.

Quote:
Fans opinions surely do matter...
The end.

Quote:
however, 1)most of the criticism towards Kariya seems to be based on a lack of knowledge of what really transpired, which is why I ever responded in this thread to begin with. 2)This is a forum in which people are supposed to have open discussions and share information and opinions on matters such as this. The unfortunate thing is that some people seem to get offended when someone questions their opinion or thought process.
1) thank god you're here, then.
2) welcome to the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
If PK was even remotely sincere about winning the Cup in Anaheim and playing for one team his whole career, the whole deal would not have gone down like it did. Trying to split hairs over how it went down is not being able to see the forest for the trees.
Yup. Said he'd be back, and then didn't come back. As a fan, that's enough to be annoyed at.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:08 PM
  #192
Disgruntled Goat
Registered User
 
Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
why do we bring this up every year so it seems lol? Wasn't there a guy on the main boards who would argue to death about why Kariya's number should be retired?

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:23 PM
  #193
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,282
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Goat View Post
why do we bring this up every year so it seems lol? Wasn't there a guy on the main boards who would argue to death about why Kariya's number should be retired?
I'm just guessing, but probably because it hasn't officially been resolved in the eyes of some. I'm not going to get into my own opinion on the matter, but the team hasn't really made any statement on the matter(giving Ryan the #9 doesn't count, at least IMO) so the matter is left open.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:25 PM
  #194
Duck Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Posts: 480
vCash: 500
I don't like the way PK punked us. He was established enough with the Ducks to sit down and iron out the monetary differences between him and the team, like two grown ups. It wasn't like either party was concerned about the other one not wanting to get together. BM may have been wrong by not pursuing the issue of agreeing to get him signed. As I recall the team wanted to use some of Paul's salary to improve the team.

This situation was like two infant children refusing to sit down and discuss their differences. The FINAL straw in my dislike for PK was the way he bolted. It was like him saying "I'll show you. I will work for someone else and take a 90% pay cut, so, there, I'm out of here." In effect Paul was saying you can take this job and shove it, you know where.

Duck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:11 AM
  #195
Papaspud
Bring on...
 
Papaspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the ketchup!!
Posts: 6,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fan View Post
I don't like the way PK punked us. He was established enough with the Ducks to sit down and iron out the monetary differences between him and the team, like two grown ups. It wasn't like either party was concerned about the other one not wanting to get together. BM may have been wrong by not pursuing the issue of agreeing to get him signed. As I recall the team wanted to use some of Paul's salary to improve the team.

This situation was like two infant children refusing to sit down and discuss their differences. The FINAL straw in my dislike for PK was the way he bolted. It was like him saying "I'll show you. I will work for someone else and take a 90% pay cut, so, there, I'm out of here." In effect Paul was saying you can take this job and shove it, you know where.
Must've been MORE than "monetary differences", huh?

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:57 AM
  #196
justheducks
Registered User
 
justheducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC, California
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
I would like to release info about Kariya that I PERSONALLY asked him when I saw him at the The District in Tustin but I am worried I will be flamed from the mods. Do I have permission to tell you guys what I talked to him about last year?

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:05 PM
  #197
Jerky Leclerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Anaheim
Country: United States
Posts: 7,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I would like to release info about Kariya that I PERSONALLY asked him when I saw him at the The District in Tustin but I am worried I will be flamed from the mods. Do I have permission to tell you guys what I talked to him about last year?
Personal information should be kept private. I would assume this was a private conversation between the two of you. I know the guy may be a jerk but HF is not TMZ.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
  #198
justheducks
Registered User
 
justheducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC, California
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
Personal information should be kept private. I would assume this was a private conversation between the two of you. I know the guy may be a jerk but HF is not TMZ.
I don't think it was really "private". It was about his future plans and what happened last summer. Some of it was released in the LA Times article but not as much as we had talked about.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:18 PM
  #199
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I don't think it was really "private". It was about his future plans and what happened last summer. Some of it was released in the LA Times article but not as much as we had talked about.
Wait, let me guess...he wants to help bring the Cup to Anaheim.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:37 PM
  #200
justheducks
Registered User
 
justheducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC, California
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Wait, let me guess...he wants to help bring the Cup to Anaheim.
lol.
Well I am going to just give some quick cliffnotes version from the 10 minute conversation.
The biggest thing from the conversation was that he had signed a contract with the Ducks but failed two physicals last summer right before he retired. Him and Teemu had talked every week and both were going to sign a contract with the Ducks and start a pathway to the HOF tour and that the marketing department was already starting to push them reuniting. He seemed really really excited to be back with the Ducks and sounded like he wanted to make up for the Colorado choice to the fans. He basically said the only thing that held him back was his concussion problems and how much he thought head shots were getting worse and worse of a problem. He said he felt great and the year off let him get back in hockey shape and I said that if he came back half as good as Teemu did after his break he could play til he was 50 and he laughed then and I said thanks and asked for an autograph and then left. He signed my Costco receipt haha.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.