HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Price worth 7 million?

View Poll Results: Is Carey Price worth 7 million a year at a 5 year deal?
Yes 66 30.41%
No 151 69.59%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-14-2011, 12:06 PM
macavoy

vCash: 500
He's worth $7m but the way that the goalie market has been saturated and goalies have taken less (Except Rinne), I think he signs in the $5.5-6.5m range.

With the cap going up, giving him $6.5m is fine. Its basically like him making $4m-$4.5m when the cap first came out.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Depends on the term, but for the most part no I don't think he's worth quite that much.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:51 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
I'd be PISSED if we give 7 millions to Price. It would such a big error. He is good, but not 7 millions good, not when there is plenty of good goalie in the game todays.

Lundqvist is getting 6,7 millions with 3 or 4 Vezina nominations.

If Price and his agent aren't greedy ******, 5,5-6 millions for 5/6/7 max years is reasonable.
Apples and oranges dude. Lundqvist was signed when the cap was much lower. Meaning giving Price 7 mil will end up being a smaller % of the cap than what NYR gave Lundqvist.

You need to put everything in the right context here. Technically they did pay Lundqvist more of their cap % than we would be paying Price. Also bare in mind Montreal is nice but it's no NYC and furthermore the taxes there would be cheaper, cost of living higher. There are benefits and issues with either place but at the end of the day 7/65 mil is better than 6.7/50 mil in the grand scheme of things. Of course as the cap goes up Lundqvist contract looks more and more appealing but if he were to sign today he'd probably get 7.5+ from a team.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:55 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by price131 View Post
His UFA years are worth something approaching 7 million, not his next 2 RFA years. If we sign him long term we can hopefully deflate the overall value with the next 2 years being a bit cheaper.

Most players sign under market deals when they have a couple RFA years left, get a little more now, give up a bit down the road. He's not a pending UFA like Rinne.

I hope for something between 5-8 years for between 5.5-6 million.
I think part of the genius regarding our management getting guys who are not just good players but a good locker room fit is that they'll want to play here and thus might sign here even when other teams offer them better deals.

In my opinion Price will sign for 6 per. I don't deny he'd easily get 7 on the open market though. I think PG will do something like this:

4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 9 = ~6.3, obviously the numbers aren't going to be exact but I figure it'll be around 6-6.5 cap hit for 8 years imo.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Not The One

Habs fans really are nuts, aren't we? Some fans want a superstar so desperately that they are begging the team to overpay Price to make it easier to pretend that he is one.

Price may be the team MVP, but currently no other goaltender has a cap hit above 7 million. To put this in perspective, there are fifteen goalies with a better SV% than him this year. He has never been in nominated for any awards and his playoff performance has been spotty.

Seven mil is insane for Price.

Last edited by Not The One: 12-14-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:06 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Habs fans really are nuts, aren't we? Some fans want a superstar so desperately that they are begging the team to overpay Price to make it easier to pretend that he is one.

Price may be the team MVP, but currently no other goaltender has a cap hit above 7 million. To put this in perspective, there are fifteen goalies with a better SV% than him this year. He has never been in nominated for any awards and his playoff performance has been spotty.

100% right on the money

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Of that group only one (Renne who has a save pctg of .921 to Price's .920) has faced more shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Apples and oranges dude. Lundqvist was signed when the cap was much lower. Meaning giving Price 7 mil will end up being a smaller % of the cap than what NYR gave Lundqvist.

You need to put everything in the right context here. Technically they did pay Lundqvist more of their cap % than we would be paying Price. Also bare in mind Montreal is nice but it's no NYC and furthermore the taxes there would be cheaper, cost of living higher. There are benefits and issues with either place but at the end of the day 7/65 mil is better than 6.7/50 mil in the grand scheme of things. Of course as the cap goes up Lundqvist contract looks more and more appealing but if he were to sign today he'd probably get 7.5+ from a team.
That's what I was saying. Lundqvist signed his three years ago... 6.5 was a much heftier deal back then.

Price is an RFA though so that may have an impact on his next contract depending on how we want to play it. Even as an RFA though, 5 mil would be a huge, huge steal if we got him at that money. I personally think it would be ridiculous but I guess we'll wait and see.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Aeneas

I would like to see him at 6 mill but, he is worth 7 mill

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
I would like to see him at 6 mill but, he is worth 7 mill
Okay... please list the comparables.

What players would you compare Price to, and what do those other players earn?

Why should carey Price be the most highly paid goaltender in hockey?

Old
12-14-2011, 07:42 PM
macavoy

Quote:

The last goalie that signed a contract is a comparable.

Pekka Rinne $7m.

Old
12-14-2011, 07:49 PM
holyhabs87

No goalie is worth 7 imo. At least not one that doesn't have some serious hardware to deserve it.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Price is further ahead of where Lundqvist was at the same age. Lundqvist is making 6.5 on a contract that was signed three years ago.

Old
12-14-2011, 07:52 PM
holyhabs87

Habs would be better served to sign him long term. I don't think anyone would have problems with that. Give him a lifetime contract, whatever...he will get better...he has not entered his prime yet, which is usually 26 for goalies.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
No goalie is worth 7 imo. At least not one that doesn't have some serious hardware to deserve it.
You don't understand inflation imo.

Lundqvist signed a $6.5m cap in in 2008 when there was a $56m salary cap.

His cap hit was 11.7% of the salary cap. Paying Price $7m next year is only a 10.9% cap hit. If you also factor in that the Cap is likely to go up again next year with Winnipeg having 50% higher ticket prices than Atlanta did and being sold out everynight, Price's cap hit @ $7m would actually be SMALLER than Lundvist's cap hit was when he signed it.

In 5 years, a goalie like Braden Holtby is probably going to get a $9m contract. Its called inflation my friend.

Last edited by macavoy: 12-14-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old
12-14-2011, 08:41 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Inflation
Yup, that doesn't make it right though. Just 2 years ago 70% of Montreal was ready to bury Price alive. Now he's worth 7m?

Lundqvist is an elite goalie, has won Olympic gold and has had three straight Vezina nominations. Price has none of those. As I've been saying: the jump from Top1 to Top5 goalie is much more than the jump from top5 to top10 and top5 to top15 and so on.

Is price a top5 goalie? Sure. Is he the BEST goalie? And has he proven it over a sustainable period of time? No, no way.

He's still RFA, he's going to get ~5m cap hit and be good with it. Unless he really kicks ass this playoffs.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Yup, that doesn't make it right though. Just 2 years ago 70% of Montreal was ready to bury Price alive. Now he's worth 7m?

Lundqvist is an elite goalie, has won Olympic gold and has had three straight Vezina nominations. Price has none of those. As I've been saying: the jump from Top1 to Top5 goalie is much more than the jump from top5 to top10 and top5 to top15 and so on.
Again, compare him to Lundqvist at the same age and Price comes out on top. You can't ignore this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Is price a top5 goalie? Sure. Is he the BEST goalie? And has he proven it over a sustainable period of time? No, no way.

He's still RFA, he's going to get ~5m cap hit and be good with it. Unless he really kicks ass this playoffs.
Think about it...

He's a top five goalie NOW. He's only 24 man, most goalies are just starting their careers around this age. As for him proving he can prove it over a sustainable period of time, I don't see how on one hand you say he's a top five goalie in the league and on the other say he's been unreliable.

Again, look at the guy's career. He's been great for most of it. The only time he was really bad was after he came back too early from injury in his 2nd season. Up until then he'd been invincible. Last season he was incredible and this year he's doing amazingly well too and he's faced more shots than anyone else in the league not named Pekke Rinne (who just so happens to be making 7 mil a year and has almost exactly the same save percentage.)

Old
12-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Again, compare him to Lundqvist at the same age and Price comes out on top. You can't ignore this.

Think about it...

He's a top five goalie NOW. He's only 24 man, most goalies are just starting their careers around this age. As for him proving he can prove it over a sustainable period of time, I don't see how on one hand you say he's a top five goalie in the league and on the other say he's been unreliable.

Again, look at the guy's career. He's been great for most of it. The only time he was really bad was after he came back too early from injury in his 2nd season. Up until then he'd been invincible. Last season he was incredible and this year he's doing amazingly well too and he's faced more shots than anyone else in the league not named Pekke Rinne (who just so happens to be making 7 mil a year and has almost exactly the same save percentage.)
Sorry, but he's got pretty lousy numbers for a top 5 goalie.

This year: 17th in SV%, 12th in GAA, tied for 11th in wins (3rd in losses including OTL).
Last year:tied for 5th in SV%, 8th in GAA, tied for 1st in wins (and total losses)
The year before: 19th in SV%, 29th in GAA, 37th in wins.

Career playoff stats: 8W, 15L, .907 SV%.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those numbers do not look to me like those of a top 5 goalie, and certainly not like those of a 7 million $$$ player.

I don't follow LA much, but seems to me that Jonathan Quick would be a pretty good comparable. He earns half of what Price currently makes.

Old
12-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Sorry, but he's got pretty lousy numbers for a top 5 goalie.

This year: 17th in SV%, 12th in GAA, tied for 11th in wins (3rd in losses including OTL).
Last year:tied for 5th in SV%, 8th in GAA, tied for 1st in wins (and total losses)
The year before: 19th in SV%, 29th in GAA, 37th in wins.

Career playoff stats: 8W, 15L, .907 SV%.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those numbers do not look to me like those of a top 5 goalie, and certainly not like those of a 7 million $$$ player.

I don't follow LA much, but seems to me that Jonathan Quick would be a pretty good comparable. He earns half of what Price currently makes.
Price has faced more shots than anyone not named Renne. Sure, some guys have better save percentages but Price is playing a heck of a lot more than most.

Look at Brian Elliot... great season so far (in far fewer games) but that doesn't make him a top five goalie.

Price is coming off a season where he played over 70 games and had a save percentage over .920. If you include this year he's got three seasons out of his five career where's he's been .920 or better and he'd have four out of five if he didn't get hurt in his second season. That is consistently good. And it's even better when you factor in his age.

Really, what goalie would you rather have over the next five years playing goal for your team?

Thomas is 38, I don't think he's going to be playing this way at 42. Brodeur will be long gone after this season...

There's Lundqvist and... that's about it. Ludnqvist would be the only guy that I might consider over Price. I'd take the next five years of Price over Luongo, Miller or Renne.

Would you rather have Quick or Brian Elliot over Price? Both are having great seasons but Price is younger, has already had a better career than either one by far...

Tell me, other than maybe Lundqvist who would you rather have over the next five seasons?

Old
12-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

François Gagnon in LaPresse calls 44 mill / 6 years is what Price's camp will want. Make that 7 years if Gauthier gets his way.
If he asks for this (over 7 mill cap hit) I hope Goats says no. This is just too much.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:08 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
François Gagnon in LaPresse calls 44 mill / 6 years is what Price's camp will want. Make that 7 years if Gauthier gets his way.
If he asks for this (over 7 mill cap hit) I hope Goats says no. This is just too much.
That's retarded money.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:52 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
It's too soon to give Price 7M.....they gotta keep him in the 5-6 range...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Price has faced more shots than anyone not named Renne. Sure, some guys have better save percentages but Price is playing a heck of a lot more than most.

Look at Brian Elliot... great season so far (in far fewer games) but that doesn't make him a top five goalie.

Price is coming off a season where he played over 70 games and had a save percentage over .920. If you include this year he's got three seasons out of his five career where's he's been .920 or better and he'd have four out of five if he didn't get hurt in his second season. That is consistently good. And it's even better when you factor in his age.

Really, what goalie would you rather have over the next five years playing goal for your team?

Thomas is 38, I don't think he's going to be playing this way at 42. Brodeur will be long gone after this season...

There's Lundqvist and... that's about it. Ludnqvist would be the only guy that I might consider over Price. I'd take the next five years of Price over Luongo, Miller or Renne.

Would you rather have Quick or Brian Elliot over Price? Both are having great seasons but Price is younger, has already had a better career than either one by far...

Tell me, other than maybe Lundqvist who would you rather have over the next five seasons?
Quick - virtually same save career save pct.

Better career GAA
Better career winning pct.
More career shutouts.

Same draft year.

you were saying?

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Depends on the term, but for the most part no I don't think he's worth quite that much.
Your "quite" suggests that you wouldn't strongly oppose it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Quick - virtually same save career save pct.

Better career GAA
Better career winning pct.
More career shutouts.

Same draft year.

you were saying?
Are you serious?

Price
age games wins Sv pctg
20 42 24 .920
21 52 23 .905
22 41 13 .912
23 72 38 .923
24 26 11 .920 (in progress) projects roughly to 71 games, 30 wins and .920

Quick
age games wins Sv pctg
20 -----------------------
21 -----------------------
22 03 01 .855
23 44 21 .914
24 72 39 .907

That's how they stack up against each other man. Price hasn't even finished his season being 24 yet. He kicks the everliving crap out of Johnathan Quick when you look at them side by side. Price is better EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Yes, Quick has gone on to have a great season the following year (though Price's season last year was better) and got off to an incredible start this year... Price on the other hand got off to a terrible start... but look at how much Price has widened the gap. At the end of October Quick's numbers were sick, so were Price's (only not in a good way) and since then Price has been much better. Don't be surprised if Price has a better year (again) than Quick this year.

To Quick's credit... this is what he's done since:

25 61 35 .918
26 24 11 .929 (in progress)

So yeah, same draft year... only Quick was drafted older and Price has still been consistently better. Give him two extra years and you'll have way more shutouts and wins so there goes your argument.

You're telling me you'd take Quick over Price? Be honest man...

Old
12-15-2011, 11:07 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
A debate sprang up on one of the threads that spurred the discussion of how much Carey Price is worth. I personally think that he's worth 7 million+ easily. Most who posted disagreed with me however so I figured I'd create a thread here as I think it's a worthy discussion all on it's own.

My argument is that Price is coming up on his prime years and if you compare him to other top goalies he compares pretty favourably (even to the very best) when you consider where he's at in his development stage. I'm really curious as to what people think about this. Here are the numbers:

Price
age games wins Sv pctg
20 42 24 .920
21 52 23 .905
22 41 13 .912
23 72 38 .923
24 26 11 .920 (in progress) projects roughly to 71 games, 30 wins and .920

His first season was great. The only real bad stretch of Price's career was when he came back too early from injury in his 2nd season. Up until then he had a save percentage of something like .920. Even in that third season where his team couldn't score in front of him he still put up respectable numbers. Last year he was incredible and a workhorse and he's been great again this year.

Brodeur games wins save pctg.
age 19 4 2 .882
age 20 ----
age 21 47 27 .915
age 22 40 19 .902 WINS STANLEY CUP
age 23 77 34 .911
age 24 67 37 .927

Brodeur is pretty much the best goalie in the league who is still active. Brodeur has the cup at a young age but Price has better regular season numbers. Yes, it's a cup but keep in mind that we're comparing Price to one of the best goalies of all time and Brodeur had multiple HOF players helping him to win championships. Price's stats (not including the cup) are better but it's a different era so it's tough to capture a true comparison. Still, we can see that Price actually acumulates more wins quicker on worse teams.

Luongo games wins save pctg.
age 20 24 7 .904
age 21 47 12 .920
age 22 58 16 .915
age 23 65 20 .918
age 24 72 25 .931

Price has more experience and better numbers than Luongo at the same age. There is one huge difference here however, while Price is on mediocre teams Luongo is on terrible ones. Still, Luongo is considered one of the best in the game so it's cool to see how Price stacks up.

Lundqvist games wins save pctg.
age 20 ---------------------
age 21 ---------------------
age 22 ---------------------
age 23 53 30 .922
age 24 70 37 .917

Lundqvist is considered to be about as consistent a goalie as there is in the game today. He doesn't come close to stacking up to Price though when you put them side by side at the same age.

Miller games wins save pctg.
age 20 ---------------------
age 21 ---------------------
age 22 15 6 .902
age 23 3 0 .795
age 24 48 30 .914

This one isn't even close. And Tim Thomas doesn't even make an NHL game until he's 28 and then doesn't have a season worth mentioning until he's 32 so I didn't bother listing him here. Ditto with Kipper who has a great season (playing in only 38 games) at the age of 27 and then follows up with two great years at 29 and 30 before becoming inconsistent.

Given that three years ago Lundqvist signed a contract paying him an annual salary of 6.5 million and Pekka Rinne's recent signing at 7 mil per, I don't see how Price doesn't warrant this cash. Esp when you factor in that we play in a very difficult market and rely on him as heavily as we do.
Well lets put it this way he is worth just as much at the top paid goalie in the league.IF the Habs had to spend 7 mil on a goalie which goalie would you pick out of all NHL goalies. I would pick Price over any other Goalie.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote