HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Price worth 7 million?

View Poll Results: Is Carey Price worth 7 million a year at a 5 year deal?
Yes 66 30.41%
No 151 69.59%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-15-2011, 10:12 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
If Im Price, I ask for 9 Millions, not a penny less, no goaltender in this league deserve a so porous and disfonctionnal group of gutless players floating like this in front.. If Im Price, I want to be traded as far as possible from this pathetic city... And before it happen, that we lose our franchise goaltender, MAJOR CHANGES ARE NEEDED!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:15 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
If Im Price, I ask for 9 Millions, not a penny less, no goaltender in this league deserve a so porous and disfonctionnal group of gutless players floating like this in front.. If Im Price, I want to be traded as far as possible from this pathetic city... And before it happen, that we lose our franchise goaltender, MAJOR CHANGES ARE NEEDED!
Hahahahahahaha! That would be so sad for our organization.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Are you serious?

Price
age games wins Sv pctg
20 42 24 .920
21 52 23 .905
22 41 13 .912
23 72 38 .923
24 26 11 .920 (in progress) projects roughly to 71 games, 30 wins and .920

Quick
age games wins Sv pctg
20 -----------------------
21 -----------------------
22 03 01 .855
23 44 21 .914
24 72 39 .907

That's how they stack up against each other man. Price hasn't even finished his season being 24 yet. He kicks the everliving crap out of Johnathan Quick when you look at them side by side. Price is better EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Yes, Quick has gone on to have a great season the following year (though Price's season last year was better) and got off to an incredible start this year... Price on the other hand got off to a terrible start... but look at how much Price has widened the gap. At the end of October Quick's numbers were sick, so were Price's (only not in a good way) and since then Price has been much better. Don't be surprised if Price has a better year (again) than Quick this year.

To Quick's credit... this is what he's done since:

25 61 35 .918
26 24 11 .929 (in progress)

So yeah, same draft year... only Quick was drafted older and Price has still been consistently better. Give him two extra years and you'll have way more shutouts and wins so there goes your argument.

You're telling me you'd take Quick over Price? Be honest man...
Ouch. Agnostic, as PK Subban would say, you just got served.
Anyways, 7 mill is still too much.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

He's worth a few bucks for sure. But to be worth that much, you'd like to see some playoff performances. And since most people here, and I don't totally disagree, say that you REALLY know a player's worth based on his playoff performances....well it has not been conclusive to say the least. Everything can't be put on his shoulders. He needs some kind of team in front of him. But he needs to be a difference maker at some point.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:41 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
If Im Price, I ask for 9 Millions, not a penny less, no goaltender in this league deserve a so porous and disfonctionnal group of gutless players floating like this in front..
The Habs are so porous that their-goalies face the 5th-least number of shots per game.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The Habs are so porous that their-goalies face the 5th-least number of shots per game.
Hahahaha I love you Mathman, you unicorn killer!

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Ironically enough, given the youth and lack of talent on the blue line this season it speaks volumes about Martin's ability to get the team to play well as a unit to minimize the inevitable mistakes.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:23 AM
AraGOHABSGO

Quote:
Shots only tell half the story... Maybe if we check the scoring chances and the quality of the shots?

You know when Simmonds in left all alone on the slot and gets like 1 minute to shoot?
Something like that is 1 shot, but its alot more tough to stop than a weak shot from the blue line....

AraGOHABSGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:58 AM
ClasslessGuy

I expect PG to give him a 3-4 years contract.

5 - 5 - 5.5 - 5.5 or 4.5 - 4.5 - 5 - 5

Lot of money but do we have the choice?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
7 mil is overpayment. >10% of the payroll for a goalie should be reserved for elite goaltenders. Price is very good right now, but not elite like Lundqvist, Thomas or Rinne.

We're forced to overpay UFA's to attract them, we cannot afford to overpay our home-grown RFA's. 5.5 per is the most he is worth right now, something like a 4 to 5 year deal. If we pay him 7 per year, we are stuck waiting for him to improve (which I'm sure he will) to justify his pay.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Habs fans really are nuts, aren't we? Some fans want a superstar so desperately that they are begging the team to overpay Price to make it easier to pretend that he is one.

Price may be the team MVP, but currently no other goaltender has a cap hit above 7 million. To put this in perspective, there are fifteen goalies with a better SV% than him this year. He has never been in nominated for any awards and his playoff performance has been spotty.

Seven mil is insane for Price.
Well said.

Old
12-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Are you serious?

Price
age games wins Sv pctg
20 42 24 .920
21 52 23 .905
22 41 13 .912
23 72 38 .923

Quick
age games wins Sv pctg
22 03 01 .855
23 44 21 .914
24 72 39 .907

That's how they stack up against each other man. Price hasn't even finished his season being 24 yet. He kicks the everliving crap out of Johnathan Quick when you look at them side by side. Price is better EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Yes, Quick has gone on to have a great season the following year (though Price's season last year was better) and got off to an incredible start this year... Price on the other hand got off to a terrible start... but look at how much Price has widened the gap. At the end of October Quick's numbers were sick, so were Price's (only not in a good way) and since then Price has been much better. Don't be surprised if Price has a better year (again) than Quick this year.

25 61 35 .918

So yeah, same draft year... only Quick was drafted older and Price has still been consistently better. Give him two extra years and you'll have way more shutouts and wins so there goes your argument.

Your entire argument is that Price is better just because he's younger. Who cares! Performance is what matters, and Quick's career stats are almost a perfect match for those of Price. The only difference is HYPE and their draft position.

Nowhere in Carey Price's current accomplisments is there anything that suggests that he should be the NHL's highest paid goalie. Let him get a few awards and nominations under his belt.

Not The One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovehalgill View Post
EVERYTHING considered, no goalie RIGHT NOW is worth 7 million.

Agreed. Even if Thomas were a FA after we won the cup i wouldn't offer him 7 million.

I honestly think if Price gets a 7 mill per for even 4 years + you guys will regret it. It won't be as bad as the DiPietro mess, but I think in a few years you'll find yourselves where the nucks are now with Luongo...they want out!

12-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Are you serious?

Price
age games wins Sv pctg
20 42 24 .920
21 52 23 .905
22 41 13 .912
23 72 38 .923

Quick
age games wins Sv pctg
22 03 01 .855
23 44 21 .914
24 72 39 .907

25 61 35 .918

Lifetime:

Record
Price 110-116 (.487)
Quick : 108-91 (.543)

SAve pct.
Price: .916
Quick: .914

GAA
Price: 2.56
Quick: 2.40

Shutouts:
Quick : 18
Price : 14

Stop putting words into my mouth, you were the one that dismissed Quick as a second rate goalie and Price as a 7 million thoroughbred. Can you see why that isn't true yet?

You were and are clearly WRONG. Now you're clearly being a JERK.

Price is not getting 7 MILLION, many people are telling you why but you are too obtuse to listen.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Your entire argument is that Price is better just because he's younger. Who cares! Performance is what matters, and Quick's career stats are almost a perfect match for those of Price. The only difference is HYPE and their draft position.

Nowhere in Carey Price's current accomplisments is there anything that suggests that he should be the NHL's highest paid goalie. Let him get a few awards and nominations under his belt.
Unless 70 percent of the board changes their vote to "yes" his arguments are going to get even more bizarre and crazy trying to convince us.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:27 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraGOHABSGO View Post
Shots only tell half the story... Maybe if we check the scoring chances and the quality of the shots?
Head over to enattendantlesnordiques.blogspot.com where the tireless Olivier counts scoring chances for every game. He doesn't have the Philly game up yet, it should come up sometime today (I'm curious). He also has a spreadsheet containing all the scoring chances for all the games, so you could use that to add it up.

Over time, teams don't really give a significantly higher or lower proportion of high-quality shots. X% of the total shots a team give out will be grade-A scoring chances, and X doesn't vary much from team to team.

Besides, think about it: the Habs are great at limiting the number shots against, but despite this the few shots they do allow are of such high quality that Price has to be amazing just to get his stats to "average starter"? It doesn't compute.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:43 AM
bsl

Quote:
]

Given that three years ago Lundqvist signed a contract paying him an annual salary of 6.5 million and Pekka Rinne's recent signing at 7 mil per, I don't see how Price doesn't warrant this cash. Esp when you factor in that we play in a very difficult market and rely on him as heavily as we do.
After tonight against Philly? See my rant in the PGT. No goalie is worth 7, and Price is ****ing horribley inconsistent and **** this year.

Your post is quickly becoming superseded, and absurd. Sorry LG, but true no?

Tie after tie blown. 1 goal lead after 1 goal lead blown. All on CP? No. But many.

Don't look at me. I supported the Halak trade day one and still do.

But Price is not shutting the door. Ever.

5 shootout losses? WTF? Price again, along with our pathetic shooters. But Price again.

We've got a problem guys.

The one thing, the one ****ing thing I did not expect this year was CP playing as badly as he has. I'm so pissed about this.

And don't bother saying it's the young D. It's not.

Price is all over the map, it's obvious. What a ****ing drag for this to happen along with the Marky thing, and the complete failure of our top 3 vet forwards. What a ******* drag.

I love this team. But I've never seen so much go so wrong in 1 year. Price and his crap inconsistent play is the icing, its just really ****ing bad.

7 million? Try 4, for 2 years.

Time for Price to step it up and carry this team, for 3 years.

Then we'll talk 7 million.

Price, we all love him, but you know what? He has proven absolutely nothing yet.

Last edited by bsl: 12-16-2011 at 09:51 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Dude, be serious.

He's not better because he's younger. He's better because he stacks up better against Quick when you compare them by age. How else should we do this?

Price is only 24, the only fair way to compare him to other netminders is by age. It's ridiculous to give Quick two extra years and then compare them. Come on man...

Stack them up side by side and it's not close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Lifetime:

Record
Price 110-116 (.487)
Quick : 108-91 (.543)

SAve pct.
Price: .916
Quick: .914

GAA
Price: 2.56
Quick: 2.40

Shutouts:
Quick : 18
Price : 14
Great. Now freeze Quick's career for two years and let's see what Price's numbers are when he's 26. It won't be close.

Quote:
Stop putting words into my mouth, you were the one that dismissed Quick as a second rate goalie and Price as a 7 million thoroughbred. Can you see why that isn't true yet?

I haven't dismissed Quick as second rate at all. He's a good goalie. But he doesn't stack up to Price at all.

Saying Quick has more shutouts or more wins is really silly when he's two years older. I don't care if they were drafted the same year either, it's not an apples to apples comparison. Older players are obviously going to have an advantage.

And what words did I put in your mouth here? You are saying they are equivalent goalies... well, they have similar stats yes, but Price is two years younger so...

Quote:
You were and are clearly WRONG. Now you're clearly being a JERK.
We'll see if I was wrong. Price hasn't signed any contracts yet.

As for being a jerk? Not sure what your problem is here. All I did was post some stats to get you to look at them in a more fair light. If it embarrassed you somehow I'm sorry, but your argument doesn't take age into consideration and that's why it's flawed.
Quote:
Price is not getting 7 MILLION, many people are telling you why but you are too obtuse to listen.
Not at all. In fact, when I came into this thread I was absolutely sure he'd get 7+ but after reading everyone's posts I don't feel nearly as certain about this. And I'm hoping that I was wrong too.

I stil beleive he'll get more but maybe folks are right and it's closer to 6-6.5. And I definitely think he's worth the money esp when you consider that his prime years are coming up and he's already a top five goalie. I don't see how he only signs for 5 mil per though, that in my mind anyway is either very wishful thinking on the part of the fans or a very charitable move by Price. Either way, he's worth way more than that.

Again, name the other guys you'd want over the next five years. It's going to be a very short list.
Quote:
Unless 70 percent of the board changes their vote to "yes" his arguments are going to get even more bizarre and crazy trying to convince us.
Not sure how posting two players' numbers side by side by age is 'crazy'... but uh, yeah okay.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 12-16-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
After tonight against Philly? See my rant in the PGT. No goalie is worth 7, and Price is ****ing horribley inconsistent and **** this year.

Your post is quickly becoming superseded, and absurd.

Tie after tie blown. I goal lead after 1 goal lead blown. All on CP? No. But many.

Don't look at me. I supported the Halak trade day one and still do.

But Price is not shutting the door. Ever.

5 shootout losses? WTF? Price again, along with our pathetic shooters. But Price again.

We've got a problem guys.

The one thing, the one ****ing thing I did not expect this year was CP playing as badly as he has. I'm so pissed about this.

And don't bother saying it's the young D. It's not.

Price is all over the map, it's obvious. What a ****ing drag for this to happen along with the Marky thing, and the complete failure of our top 3 vet forwards. What a ******* drag.

I love this team. But I've never seen so much go so wrong in 1 year. Price and his crap inconsistent play is the icing, its just really ****ing bad.

7 million? Try 4, for 2 years.

Time for Price to step it up and carry this team, for 3 years.

Then we'll talk 7 million.

Price, we all love him, but you know what? He has proven absolutely nothing yet.
The only thing that you can really hammer Price on this year is a slow start. Since the end of October he's been lights out. One of the best goalies in the league. If you aren't happy with how he's been playing then you really have no idea what it's like to have a truly inconsistent goalie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
7 mil is overpayment. >10% of the payroll for a goalie should be reserved for elite goaltenders. Price is very good right now, but not elite like Lundqvist, Thomas or Rinne.
You'd rather have Rinne over Price over the next five years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He's worth a few bucks for sure. But to be worth that much, you'd like to see some playoff performances. And since most people here, and I don't totally disagree, say that you REALLY know a player's worth based on his playoff performances....well it has not been conclusive to say the least. Everything can't be put on his shoulders. He needs some kind of team in front of him. But he needs to be a difference maker at some point.
To be fair though, he couldn't have been much better last year. He was outduelled by Thomas and a better team. And there's no shame in that. He played as well as we could've hoped for him to play.

Old
12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
lolwut? If anything he's the only thing keeping this team in "alright" territory

How do you expect him to "make us a great team" have a shutout every game?
Are we a great team? no then no player on the roster deserve that kind of money.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Yes, definitely. Especially if both are being paid the same. Lets put it this way. In 2 or 3 years, we can hope that Price reaches Rinne's current level of play.

Old
12-16-2011, 10:01 AM
bsl

Quote:
The only thing that you can really hammer Price on this year is a slow start. Since the end of October he's been lights out. One of the best goalies in the league. If you aren't happy with how he's been playing then you really have no idea what it's like to have a truly inconsistent goalie.

To be fair though, he couldn't have been much better last year. He was outduelled by Thomas and a better team. And there's no shame in that. He played as well as we could've hoped for him to play.
LG you know I respect your views, and we agree on most things (high draft picks cough cough).

But really man, it's not looking good. I support Price, he's the Habs goalie and I think he'll be a great goalie, but he is not earning a 7 mill contract right now, come on, no way.

He is not winning games for us. He's not stealing them, cheating them, or doing anything else to get us those points.

A 7 mill goalie is not about a 2.4 GAA and .92 %.

It's a guy who steals games, all the time, and almost never ***** the bed and blows a tie or a lead, no matter what his D does, and almost always stops breakaways and shootout attempts.

Price? Not there. At all.

Old
12-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
LG you know I respect your views, and we agree on most things (high draft picks cough cough).

But really man, it's not looking good. I support Price, he's the Habs goalie and I think he'll be a great goalie, but he is not earning a 7 mill contract right now, come on, no way.

He is not winning games for us. He's not stealing them, cheating them, or doing anything else to get us those points.

It's a guy who steals games, all the time, and almost never ***** the bed and blows a tie or a lead, no matter what his D does, and almost always stops breakaways and shootout attempts.

I agree with your assessment totally. Price is really good, and he's still only 24 years old.

BUT he is much too soft and inconsistent to be considered elite. We can't pay him for his potential.

FWIW I think he will be elite in 2-3 years, but he is not now, at least not this season. Last year was closer.

Old
12-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Okay but the club has to score to win too though man. Look at that 'terrible season' a couple of years ago where he couldn't buy a win. There was an article that some writer posted showing that in a huge percentage of his games, in order for him to have won he'd have to have allowed 1 goal or less. We just plain haven't scored this year and if you remove Price then we're a lottery pick team instead of playing for 8th right now.

So far in his career he's been pretty damn good. Go look at Lundqvist's save percentages before he signed his deal... only one season at better than .920. He's a great goalie (maybe the most consistent in the league) and his career save percentage is .918. A save percentage of .920 consistently is hard to do. Pointing to guys like Brian Elliot doesn't really mean anything either. Look at Steve Mason from a few years ago for example... If you get a goalie who can consistently do .920 you've got a great goalie. BTW, if we really want to get a goalie with a great save percentage we just need to hire Hitchcock. The guy's teams just don't get scored on. Unfortunately the trade off is that he likes to play the trap on the PP.

And keep in mind, he's going to get better (that's the way it usually works anyway.) Contracts (are supposed to be anyway) about what you are GOING to do over the course of that deal.

Like I said a couple of posts above. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he does sign for less. All I can say is that if he does then we should be really happy about it. I think there are very few goalies (if any) who will be better over the next five or six years.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 12-16-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
bsl

Quote:
Okay but the club has to score to win too though man. Look at that 'terrible season' a couple of years ago where he couldn't buy a win. There was an article that some writer posted showing that in a huge percentage of his games, in order for him to have won he'd have to have allowed 1 goal or less. We just plain haven't scored this year and if you remove Price then we're a lottery pick team instead of playing for 8th right now.

So far in his career he's been pretty damn good.

And keep in mind, he's going to get better (that's the way it usually works anyway.) Contracts (are supposed to be anyway) about what you are GOING to do over the course of that deal.

Like I said a couple of posts above. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he does sign for less. All I can say is that if he does then we should be really happy about it. I think there are very few goalies (if any) who will be better over the next five or six years.
Reasonable LG. He IS a very good young goalie. And yes I think he got burned 2 years ago.

But 7 mill is performing through almost all circumstances.

In a way, I think we might be lucky, though I'm depressed to say it, Price and to some extent PK are struggling this year. That means reasonable RFA contracts for them the next three years.

Good, then we can watch them torch the NHL starting next year, as we know they will.

LG I think your post will be completely valid in 1 year, just not now...