HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Captains Around the League

Old
12-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Smitzo4221

vCash: 500
Captains Around the League

BUF - Pominville

BOS - Chara
OTT - Alfredsson*
TOR - Phaneuf*
MTL - Gionta
WSH - Ovechkin
TB - Lecavalier*
FLA - Wilson?
WPG - Ladd
CAR - Staal
PHI - Pronger
NYR - Callahan
NYI - Streit
PIT - Crosby*
NJD - Parise*

VAN - Sedin
CGY - Iginla
EDM - Horcoff
MIN - Koivu
COL - Hejduk*
DAL - Morrow
PHX - Doan*
LA - Brown
SJ - Thornton
ANA - Getzlaf
DET - Lidstrom
CHI - Toews
CBJ - Nash
STL - Backes
NSH - Weber*

I would take any other captain in the national hockey league over Pominville. A captain is someone who sticks up for their teammates, shows grit, works hard every shift, and is without question an asset to the team who is not worth trading. I would agree Ovechkin doesn't quite meet these standards (and yes I am an Ovi fan) therefore I don't believe he should be captain I've thought so ever since last years performance during the playoffs vs TB. Now there are obvious exceptions for those who do not show grit such as Parise, Alfredsson, Koivu, Hejduk, and Lidstrom (negotiable) but these players are of much higher status than that of Mr Pominville. The staff said they wanted to choose a player that had a future with the Sabres and would continue to play with them for a while, one that started in Rochester. I believe a great choice would have been Gerbe. Everyone likes him he works harder than Roy, Myers, and Pominville combined, can put the puck in the net, and plays like he's 6' 8". He's everything a captain should be I believe the only thing against him was the amount of years he's spent with the Sabres. I could easily see him becoming a future captain whether it's here in Buffalo or elsewhere. Reminds me very much of Daniel Briere just with some grit. Another player I would have been satisfied with becoming the face of the franchise would have been Vanek. With his play this year I feel that if he had to he would drop the gloves. Where as with Pominville... Well... Need I say more? Not to mention Vanek's gifted offensive talent.

Last edited by Smitzo4221: 12-11-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Smitzo4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:31 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Your Pominville hatred is astonishing and there are so many things wrong in your post that I don't want to list them all. That's all I really want to say.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:34 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Your Pominville hatred is astonishing and there are so many things wrong in your post that I don't want to list them all. That's all I really want to say.
I was going to post the same exact thing, but you beat me to it. Good job!

But yeah, WTF, OP?

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Smitzo4221

Why is he a good captain? List your reasonings for that.

Old
12-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Smitzo4221

And which captains listed you would take him over. I'm curious.

Old
12-11-2011, 09:44 PM
gallagt01

Who cares if other teams have better captains? We don't have those players. They can't captain our team.

Pominville is a hard worker and a consummate professional. He shows up night in and night out and is well respected in the locker room and league wide. He embodies everything a leader should be. While I agree that your version of a captain (the gritty veteran that likes to drop 'em and grows a sick beard) is ideal, we simply don't have that in the Rochester core.

Only two players on this team had a shot at the C, Vanek and Pominville. Lindy went with Poms, and I think it's a fine choice.

As for your Gerbe suggestion - that's absolutely laughable.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:46 PM
gallagt01

Also, I'm fairly certain Streit is the Isles' captain, not Tavares.

Old
12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Who cares if other teams have better captains? We don't have those players. They can't captain our team.

Pominville is a hard worker and a consummate professional. He shows up night in and night out and is well respected in the locker room and league wide. He embodies everything a leader should be. While I agree that your version of a captain (the gritty veteran that likes to drop 'em and grows a sick beard) is ideal, we simply don't have that in the Rochester core.

Only two players on this team had a shot at the C, Vanek and Pominville. Lindy went with Poms, and I think it's a fine choice.

As for your Gerbe suggestion - that's absolutely laughable.
Yeah. Gerbe has been flat out awful this year with the exception of one or two games. He's just escaped the wrath of this board because there have been many other passengers who have greater expectations...but if this team was ever fully healthy, I wouldn't mind seeing Gerbe ride the pine for a few games.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

His love for Gerbe is laughable, I love the kid, but making comparisons to Danny B is ridiculous. Gerbe will never even sniff the point totals or clutch moments that Danny B had.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:52 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Yeah. Gerbe has been flat out awful this year with the exception of one or two games. He's just escaped the wrath of this board because there have been many other passengers who have greater expectations...but if this team was ever fully healthy, I wouldn't mind seeing Gerbe ride the pine for a few games.
I'm with you there. His hard work, constant energy and low salary make it so that he'll never be a scapegoat here, but he has been awful for the most part. Looks nothing like the player we saw last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
His love for Gerbe is laughable, I love the kid, but making comparisons to Danny B is ridiculous. Gerbe will never even sniff the point totals or clutch moments that Danny B had.
I'd agree that he won't sniff the point totals that Briere had while here, but saying he'll never have clutch moments like Briere is a bold prediction. I mean, saying he will be that clutch is just as bold, but one can't really make these claims and back them up. I think I get what you meant though.

Gerbe's no doubt the kind of player I could see taking on a leadership role one day, but not even in the next couple of years. He's not a core player and shouldn't have any leadership responsibilities at all.

That said, he did have an a in a preseason game this year if I recall correctly. That doesn't say much, but I guess Lindy see's something.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:55 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

I would take Pominville over Streit as captain from an Isles POV anyday

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

you can have him, give us Tavares and we'll call it a day.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:28 AM
LGB24

I would take Pommers over Streit, Horcoff, Hejduk, Alfredsson, without question.
Gerbe as captain? Seriously?

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Luceni

Wow.

Gerbe over Pomineville? I mean I really like Gerbe but seriously?

I could understand if the op would be just pissed that Pomineville has gotten the C over Vanek.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-12-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:59 AM
HiddenInLight

...I came into this thread expecting some sort of interesting fact or statistic...but then I get this. At least I got a chuckle out of the OP's blatant ignorance on the matter, and his suggestion of Gerbe.

HiddenInLight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Clock

I'd rather have Poms than plenty of others in that list.

The grass is always greener, I guess.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:28 AM
HiddenInLight

Out of curiosity a question for the OP who on that list would you rather have gerbe over?

Old
12-12-2011, 06:51 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:05 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

29 GP - 10 G - 21 A - +2 - 6 PIM - 3 PP - 1 SH - 3 GW - 1 OT - 19:25 TOI/G - 48.4 FO%

Yeah, Pommers is a real bum. If only he would drop the gloves more often.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:23 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
That picture made me lol

Old
12-12-2011, 10:31 AM
punkr0x

I also feel we should put more pressure on Gerbe to drop the gloves against guys twice his size.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:58 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitzo4221 View Post
The staff said they wanted to choose a player that had a future with the Sabres and would continue to play with them for a while, one that started in Rochester. I believe a great choice would have been Gerbe. Everyone likes him he works harder than Roy, Myers, and Pominville combined, can put the puck in the net, and plays like he's 6' 8". He's everything a captain should be I believe the only thing against him was the amount of years he's spent with the Sabres.
Gerbe can put the puck in the net?

He has 21 goals in 110 NHL games. That is not the production that I would attribute to a guy that "can put the puck in the net."

And it isn't just the years that he's spent with the Sabres that is the limiting factor, it's his NHL experience, or lack thereof.

Sidney Crosby had 160 NHL regular season games played when the Pens made him the youngest captain in NHL history. Gerbe had 84 NHL regular season games played prior to this season.

Gerbe needs a lot more experience before he's ready to enter the captaincy discussion. I can't remember a single instance of a 3rd/4th liner getting the C after 84 NHL games.

Can you?

Quote:
I could easily see him becoming a future captain whether it's here in Buffalo or elsewhere. Reminds me very much of Daniel Briere just with some grit.
I could see Gerbe being a captain. I can not see him being anything like Briere.

Quote:
Another player I would have been satisfied with becoming the face of the franchise would have been Vanek. With his play this year I feel that if he had to he would drop the gloves. Where as with Pominville... Well... Need I say more? Not to mention Vanek's gifted offensive talent.
I like Vanek and I don't see a huge difference in his makeup as a captain than Pominville.

Neither guy has the "stick up for teammates" DNA like you said you wanted.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:25 AM
HiddenInLight

Tjats because half of his arguments contradict the other half

Old
12-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Kassian54

I think Poms is the best choice for now...

Kassian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Pominville is the team MVP at this point. Anyone disappointed in his play this year is a lunatic...

And I've advocated for trading him in the past, i've argued that he was overpaid in the past.... but that's simply the past. He's earning every penny this year.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote