HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Terry Murray Fired

Old
12-13-2011, 01:30 AM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
So is it just gonna be Stevens and Kompon on the bench for now?
Most Likely. It will be interesting to see the kind of effort the Kings put up against the Bruins.

I am expecting not much to change. At some point this season though; I would Like to see Drew snap out of whatever he has going on.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:41 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

This news was the best birthday gift ever.

Murray was a classy guy, but he wasn't the one to take the Kings to the next level.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:07 AM
TwoMinutesWellWorthI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kings have always had problems being a "tough" or an intimidating team. Under Barry Melrose they were because they had skill and McSorley, Rychel and Blake. When they traded McSorley, they became soft again and had to overpay to get him back. The most complete team was the Cup Finals team because it had toughness, speed and skill and it was firing on all cylinders. The All American line of Granato-Millen-Donnelly was fast, we had Gretzky, defensiveness in Kurri, and we had toughness in Rychel and McSorley.

Under Larry Robinson they were just awful, but had guys like Potomski and Steve McKenna to do the dirty work....not a tough team and not a team that scared anyone with offense either and not very fast either.or speed either.

Under Andy Murray there were times they were tough to play against when they had Deadmarsh, Lappy and Grimson...but later he decided not to play Ken Belanger and the power play became "our enforcer."
For periods of time we had Brad Norton, Sean Avery, Ryan Flinn and Kip Brennan, but still, the top 9 forwards were soft. AM's teams never had any secondary scoring, was rarely tough to play against and wasn't known for speed either.

Now, under Terry Murray, we can't score, we aren't fast, we have 9 fighting majors, 24th out of 30 on the rankings. So we don't score, we rarely fight, we aren't fast and we are 12th place in the standings in a conference that is going to be even harder next year to make the playoffs.
Exactly. This team has zero identity this season. Now look at teams like Minnesota and Florida. I know there are still plenty of games to be played but it's sickening seeing where this team is in the standings after all the pre-season moves and hype, especially after the number of years of Dean Lombardi's tenure. This team needs to get it's **** together.

TwoMinutesWellWorthI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:06 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kings have always had problems being a "tough" or an intimidating team. Under Barry Melrose they were because they had skill and McSorley, Rychel and Blake. When they traded McSorley, they became soft again and had to overpay to get him back. The most complete team was the Cup Finals team because it had toughness, speed and skill and it was firing on all cylinders. The All American line of Granato-Millen-Donnelly was fast, we had Gretzky, defensiveness in Kurri, and we had toughness in Rychel and McSorley.

Under Larry Robinson they were just awful, but had guys like Potomski and Steve McKenna to do the dirty work....not a tough team and not a team that scared anyone with offense either and not very fast either.or speed either.

Under Andy Murray there were times they were tough to play against when they had Deadmarsh, Lappy and Grimson...but later he decided not to play Ken Belanger and the power play became "our enforcer."
For periods of time we had Brad Norton, Sean Avery, Ryan Flinn and Kip Brennan, but still, the top 9 forwards were soft. AM's teams never had any secondary scoring, was rarely tough to play against and wasn't known for speed either.

Now, under Terry Murray, we can't score, we aren't fast, we have 9 fighting majors, 24th out of 30 on the rankings. So we don't score, we rarely fight, we aren't fast and we are 12th place in the standings in a conference that is going to be even harder next year to make the playoffs.

Post of the year! Exactly to the "T"!

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:09 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

I will not be a kings fan if we hire Sutter. this is the final straw. If we fired an archaic dinosaur just to get an older dinosaur, count me out.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:06 AM
SuperAlmeida

Hopefully Sutter doesn't want to leave his family in Alberta. I'm wondering what was said under the player meeting?

Is it true that the players have said they want a young coach? (Barry) Would Lombardi listen to them?

Quote:
Helene was right when she said Randy Carlysle wasn’t being considered. I’m told the players prefer someone younger, which is why many believe John Stevens tenure as “interim” coach may be short lived. This road trip should be a telling sign.
Maybe Tim Lieweke has said: "Listen to the players, or something"?

Quote:
Lieweke gave Lombardi five years. It’s year five. Lombardi is now on the hot seat.

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 12-13-2011 at 05:14 AM.
SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:51 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Dean Lombardi Lays Responsibility For Terry Murray's Dismissal On Players' Shoulders

LA Kings GM Dean Lombardi Lays Responsibility For Terry Murray’s Dismissal On Players' Shoulders

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Doyle

Kings Say Goodbye To Terry Murray
http://nhlhotstove.com/kings-say-goo...-terry-murray/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:06 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Wow that's just so pathetic, lombardi basically put off the firing because he liked TM a lot? What the hell, if he kept it straight buisness we would of fired him sooner, TL forced dean to fire him, wow pathetic Dean, the team has played terrible and instead of doing your job appropriately TL has to give it to you. From te comments he made its so apparent that it was TL. DL welcome to the hotseat my friend.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Nose of Sutter

I seriously hope he doesn't hire Sutter. If he is already on the hot-seat he will be a goner if he hires him.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

DL, look at the old guys who are hired back. It never works unless youre Hitch who has an actualy successful track record. We need a system that encourages offense, look to Hynes and dont look back

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Kingurentai

Quote:
The All American line of Granato-Millen-Donnelly was fast
Still one of my all-time favorite Kings lines. Damn they were fun to watch.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:26 AM
jml87

Really, it's not all the players' fault. You give them a purely defensive system and expect them to score goals, it's not going to happen. It's like giving someone turkey and telling them to make a ham sandwich. That said, the players do need to be better. There are some guys in that locker room that aren't playing anywhere near their full potential. Everyone needs to raise their game a level.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:27 AM
SuperAlmeida

Just as important as finding a new head coach -> Fire Kompon!

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:35 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Doesn't this article come across as eerily similar to what the Kings just went through?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...rks_sutter_ap/
The one difference I see is that DL fired Sutter and that was that. here, DL fires TM but basically says it's all the players fault. So in one case it's the coach, here it's the players. I'd actually prefer the SJ situation, because at least it isn't publicly known that our GM thinks the problem still exists within the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Unless Granato tells Pitt to allow the Kings to talk to him. I would think they would understand if Granato wants to leave to coach LA. I would think coaching in LA would be Granato's dream, especially this caliber of team.
It doesn't work that way. Granato is under contract. If you're under contract, you can't simply go to whomever you signed a contract with and say you want out so you can join a rival and expect them to just let you go. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, Muller and Nashville is a prime example it can happen, but it is exceedingly rare. And I doubt Pittsburgh would understand, as they'd have an Assistant Caoch vacancy in the middle of the season, something not easy to replace.

Granato would be let go in the off-season I believe, but I would be shocked if he was let go now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Wow that's just so pathetic, lombardi basically put off the firing because he liked TM a lot? What the hell, if he kept it straight buisness we would of fired him sooner, TL forced dean to fire him, wow pathetic Dean, the team has played terrible and instead of doing your job appropriately TL has to give it to you. From te comments he made its so apparent that it was TL. DL welcome to the hotseat my friend.
I don't think he put off firing him because he liked him. I think he put off firing him because he still thinks TM' system worked and it was the players fault, not the coaching. I don't agree with that line of thinking, but I think that's why DL took so long to fire him, because he didn't think TM was the problem.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Omni Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Just as important as finding a new head coach -> Fire Kompon!
Yea this. When I said clear out the coaching cupboard I meant everybody.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
LombardiTool

Was listening to FAN960 (Flames station) and they thought Sutter would be a good hire for the Kings. They said he was a coach who could get the most out of his players. Seems like the GM side was his weak point but he true love was coaching. You can hear the full discussion when they post the podcast sometime today on www.fan960com. It is the segment with Boomer and Peter Maher (flames radio play by play guy).

My favorite are the guys saying they'll quit being Kings fans if they hire Sutter. Nice knowing you!

As for firing Kompon. I believe they will probably let the knew coach pick his staff and once hired, Kompon will be on borrowed time. I hope they keep Stevens on the defensive side of things.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Bandit

If Kompon makes it through another coaching change, I'm sitting next to that guy on all my international flights from now on, because the guy can clearly survive anything.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/12/13...ing-at-sutter/

Frack.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Christmas just turned into Halloween.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:34 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

So he wants to replace Murray with Murray? DL may have just cost himself his job.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:36 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
So he wants to replace Murray with Murray? DL may have just cost himself his job.
I think it's more replacing stoicism with emotion, but yeah, I'm pretty bummed that this is what we're going to get. We need someone who hasn't passed their expiration date.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I can only hope that Sutter plans to retire, some Calgary fans are unsure if he would accept another job.

They say he is all defense, they think he would help the Kings but wouldn't bring up the offense, and that he is a grind/cylce offense kind of coach

What the Hockey News thinks of Sutter replacing Murray:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ry-Murray.html

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:40 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
DL, look at the old guys who are hired back. It never works unless youre Hitch who has an actualy successful track record. We need a system that encourages offense, look to Hynes and dont look back
The Kings don't have a defensive team, that's the problem. Look at the 3rd and 4th lines, see any shut down Selke candidates? I don't. Kings need a coach who can maximize the potential of the forwards and allows the young offensive defense men to attack the net instead of forcing them to stand flat footed on the blue line firing average slap shots to the front where no power forwards are to put them in. Murray's whole philosophy went out the door once Handzus and Smyth left. Like John Fox in Denver, Murray needed to adjust to maximize the talents of his team instead of forcing round pegs into square holes. He did not and now he's gone. If Lombardi instills another defense first coach it will be no different than what Murray was doing and he will be gone as well.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:44 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

I don't think TL will allow Dean to hire him IMO. I read somewhere that the players are saying they want a younger coach. I bet TL will have a few convos with the players before Dean hires anybody.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote