HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Terry Murray Fired

Old
12-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Roger Millions, Calgary Reporter, tweeted:
Crap

He is a reporter though and needs a good story.

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:26 AM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Well if it indeed is Sutter.

I told you so, Terry Murray (Lite) 2.0.

But I will give Sutter some credit, He will grind players that put in half effort into pathetic little pieces.

Sutter will not take Drew being a Drama queen night in night out. He at least has that over Murray.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Did anyone happen to hear Jim Fox on the Fan 590 in Toronto? It was on around 10:20 eastern time. I tuned in part way to hear Blair ask if Richards was the problem. Fox shot him down immediately. I didn't hear the beginning but will try and catch the podcast tonight.
Goes to show you how stupid and ill informed reporters are asking such a question as Richards has been out with an injury.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Remind me, what's the definition of insanity?

Look, coaches are hired to be fired. This will be DLs last in this town. No surprise he wouldn't chance his own livelihood to a young minor league coach. He's very predictable.

If the Kings insist upon playing this style.. they need to be stronger and faster. They still need to make personnel moves. Game's played through the neutral zone with speed. we never build speed. mainly because our wingers don't have any.

We shall see...but rest assured if it doesn't work this season, TL will clean house.
Yeah I agree.. I expected someone like DL who seems to be fairly savvy and educated to realize that the most important thing to this team right now is scoring goals. The Kings were not scoring goals in Terry Murray's system prior to the departure of Handzus, Simmonds and Smyth but even moreso this season. I fully agree with whatever reported made the observation about the loss of those players. I knew losing Handzus was a big loss but I thought it was a because he provided stability to the third line and was able to play in a checking role and still produce some offense. It turns out, those players were perfect for TM's system. DL upgrades the personnel and is insistent on jamming a square peg into a round hole. Sounds like he is prepared to go down with the ship. Sucks that we'll all probably lose a season because of this. And I don't care who comes into replace DL, I just hope Kopitar, Richards, Doughty, Johnson and Quick aren't traded.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:29 AM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Cause I absolutely hate sutter
Wowzer

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
mja
Negative Creep

From a longtime Flyers fan...

Congratulations on firing Terry Murray.

My condolences on hiring John Stevens.

Observing their stints in Philly, Murray has a system but is unable to adapt it, Stevens seemingly had no system. One plus about Stevens, he has a bit of a track record of with getting offensively talented players to produce. He's not a permanent solution though and hopefully for you guys Lombardi realizes that.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Well if it indeed is Sutter.

I told you so, Terry Murray (Lite) 2.0.

But I will give Sutter some credit, He will grind players that put in half effort into pathetic little pieces.

Sutter will not take Drew being a Drama queen night in night out. He at least has that over Murray.
That is one thing that is intriguing. He's likely to demand and may get Doughty and Johnson to play at their best every night. He could also make a man out of Dustin Brown who I feel has been coddled and forced into a leadership role when it clearly has gotten over his head. Watch Brown's play before he was captain, he has become a different player.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:33 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The Kings don't have a defensive team, that's the problem. Look at the 3rd and 4th lines, see any shut down Selke candidates? I don't. Kings need a coach who can maximize the potential of the forwards and allows the young offensive defense men to attack the net instead of forcing them to stand flat footed on the blue line firing average slap shots to the front where no power forwards are to put them in. Murray's whole philosophy went out the door once Handzus and Smyth left. Like John Fox in Denver, Murray needed to adjust to maximize the talents of his team instead of forcing round pegs into square holes. He did not and now he's gone. If Lombardi instills another defense first coach it will be no different than what Murray was doing and he will be gone as well.
You don't need Selke candidates to have a good defense. As long as everyone buys into the same system, it works. The reason we are one of the best defensive teams inthe league isn't all Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
I don't think TL will allow Dean to hire him IMO. I read somewhere that the players are saying they want a younger coach. I bet TL will have a few convos with the players before Dean hires anybody.
When can we just get rid of Tim Lieweekly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
Can our next general manager not always hire his pals? Does Lombardi not have the ability to interview people or read letters of recommendation or talk to people that he hasn't, you know, worked with? I can understand that one might be inclined to hire people you're familiar with, but a general manager needs to be able to assess talent in a variety of areas. Hiring your friends EVERY TIME is not acceptable because there is NO WAY that the best people for these jobs always just happen to be his friends.
This is DL's biggest weakness by far but it's just a magnification of his overall MO. Outside of a few rare occassions, like drafting Hickey or trading for Penner or Richards, DL likes to make the safe play. He even does it in the draft when he selects older players like Simmonds who were passed over the year before because they are more mature and easier to read. It's why we never get a big name UFA (though on most accounts he's been right to pass on the bigger names we've been after like Kovlachuk). DL plays it very safe and while that breeds success to a point, the elite always take risks in everything. DL will need to do the same or he'll never be elite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The problem is that they are very similar. Sutter is Murray with more passion/fire. Sutter will still try to win games 2-1 with a solid Quick making saves every game. His offense is the same, dump, cycle, get pucks to the net. The only positive is more locker room accountability and I don't think that is enough to get us there, but I guess we will see. Quick is need to be spectacular and in the Vezina hunt if we expect to sniff the finals, just like Kipper in Calgary.
I think the biggest problem with a guy like Sutter is the players likely know that if things don't turn around soon, DL is out of a job too. As such, if they choose to tune out Sutter, they can get DL fired. The powers in the players court right now. I hope that the core we have is better than that to do something like this, but with the reports that are coming out about how the players tuned out TM I don't know.

Quote:
I warned you guys back in October that the Kings would pursue Sutter...
Wonderful, an I told you so post. Maybe you could be as quick in bringing up your posts on how we should acquire Penner and how great of a deal that was to Ziggy.

We all have things in our past that we look brilliant on. Who cares, deal with the present.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
LombardiTool

Dean is going to hire a Dean-style coach. Sutter is who he always wanted, even before Murray. It seems 50-50 from people with inside hockey knowledge. Seems like alot of people hated was Murray was so reserved and couldnt get the most out of his players. I dont think that will be an issue with Sutter.

Sounds like a win win. Worst case scenario, he sucks and both the coach and GM will be out. I think everyone will be on a short leash.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
jml87

Quote:
Did anyone happen to hear Jim Fox on the Fan 590 in Toronto? It was on around 10:20 eastern time. I tuned in part way to hear Blair ask if Richards was the problem. Fox shot him down immediately. I didn't hear the beginning but will try and catch the podcast tonight.
Lol wat? He wasn't even playing during the four game losing streak.

Damn you Richie. Your recovery at home has destroyed the team! He was probably sending cases of beer to the locker room.

Last edited by jml87: 12-13-2011 at 11:39 AM.
jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Pierre LeBrun tweets that Sutter to LA may very likely happen...
http://twitter.com/#!/Real_ESPNLeBru...33374797266944
Quote:
Unless there's an unforeseen complication, my guess is that there's a real good chance Sutter will be next coach of the KIngs
If the Kings can lure Iginla here as a result of Sutter being hired as a coach, then by all means, bring him on board.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:41 AM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
Did you read the guys post? Why are you being a jerk? He is not a Kings fan but knows Sutter and was here to give his honest opinion on him, not what out team needs.

Thanks for the insite OMA!
Sorry if I went on a rant, but it just bugs me to see Sutter constantly thrown under the bus by people who use the 'farmer stereotype.' I won't lie, the guy preaches defense but I think that was partly due to the teams he had to work with in Calgary (those teams had no scoring outside of Iginla and were forced to rely on their defence/Kipper). When he went upstairs full-time he really focused on bringing offensive 'non-Sutter' players into the fold in order to cope with the way the game was being played (Tanguay, Huselius, Cammalleri)..... and that's why I'm not so sure that he'll *that* opposed to letting your scorers open up a bit.

The one last thing I'll say about Sutter is this: He got the most out of his core players. The best seasons Iginla, Regehr etc ever had was under Sutter..... so hopefully he can do that for your guys. His time here might have ended badly, but the guy is still well, well respected in Alberta and I don't think that's an accident.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:43 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA View Post
Sorry if I went on a rant, but it just bugs me to see Sutter constantly thrown under the bus by people who use the 'farmer stereotype.' I won't lie, the guy preaches defense but I think that was partly due to the teams he had to work with in Calgary (those teams had no scoring outside of Iginla and were forced to rely on their defence/Kipper). When he went upstairs full-time he really focused on bringing offensive 'non-Sutter' players into the fold in order to cope with the way the game was being played (Tanguay, Huselius, Cammalleri)..... and that's why I'm not so sure that he'll *that* opposed to letting your scorers open up a bit.

The one last thing I'll say about Sutter is this: He got the most out of his core players. The best seasons Iginla, Regehr etc ever had was under Sutter..... so hopefully he can do that for your guys. His time here might have ended badly, but the guy is still well, well respected in Alberta and I don't think that's an accident.
Would you also agree that Sutter will not put up with Half effort?

He seems like a Guy that will grind you up, and spit you out for playing pansy waist Hockey.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:44 AM
DaAnimal

Quote:
That is one thing that is intriguing. He's likely to demand and may get Doughty and Johnson to play at their best every night. He could also make a man out of Dustin Brown who I feel has been coddled and forced into a leadership role when it clearly has gotten over his head. Watch Brown's play before he was captain, he has become a different player.
agreed. Unfortunately TM had to take the hit. For those that think its TM's fault, partially it is, but most of it is on the players.

Stevens could possibly hold the title up until next year. I think he will be replaced in Jan 2012. We just have to get used to Steven's "system." Though Im not familiar with his system, I think there could be some kind of potential and spark to light up our players.

In terms of players wanting a younger coach, I can't think of anyone else. I kind of wish Mike Yeo had a brother, so we can hire his younger brother

As far as who I want to be hired: Mark Morris. He's familiar with some of the players. He's familiar with management. He won't have a hard time fitting in. As our players develop in the AHL, he will be familiar with most of them as well.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:48 AM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal;
Stevens could possibly hold the title up until next year. I think he will be replaced in Jan 2012. We just have to get used to Steven's "system." Though Im not familiar with his system, I think there could be some kind of potential and spark to light up our players
He bakes a lot of cakes (probably will only get this if you're a flyers fan)

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:51 AM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Would you also agree that Sutter will not put up with Half effort?

He seems like a Guy that will grind you up, and spit you out for playing pansy waist Hockey.
There's a lot of articles on the web about Sutter having an autistic son (which would likely be the reason he wouldn't leave Alberta) and how it bugs him immensely when players with talent don't work hard... and that's why he's so hard on them. People think of Regehr and Iginla (for the most part) as hard-nosed players... but they didn't play with an edge until Sutter got to town in late 2002.

Maybe he's mellowed with age but I'd be shocked.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:51 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Helene Elliott on Fan590 right now:

http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl/on_air

She's pretty much breaking the news that Sutter will be the new coach

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Helene Elliott on Fan590 right now:

http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl/on_air

She's pretty much breaking the news that Sutter will be the new coach
Yeah, it is a done deal according to them.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Back to the topic, I'm not a fan of hiring Sutter, but I think he will be better than Murray. Even if he's exactly the same as Murray in everything else, he will be better at getting in the players faces and making them work.

I agreed with LombardiTool though, I'd rather have seen Morris promoted than go with Sutter. But I will take a wait and see approach if Sutter is the man we hire. A brief albeit.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I really don't mind Sutter, hopefully he'll be more consistent than Murray, that's for sure. The system may be similar, but why would any team/player want to change their WHOLE system midway through a season? Sutter is the right decision, imo, even though I'd love Tony Granato or Bob Boughner

Old
12-13-2011, 11:57 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Doug Maclean just pretty much reiterated what we've all been saying here. Teams that have fired their coach this year, have looked for a change (Carlyle to Boudreau, Boudreau to Hunter) but there isn't much of a difference between Murray and Sutter. This is make or break for Lombardi, unfortunately. I love DL, been a DL supporter since day one but this season is huge. Do well and make the playoffs, go PAST the first round and he comes back next year. Anything less is a disappointment and game over

Old
12-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Just as important as finding a new head coach -> Fire Kompon!
Is he the coach responsible for the PP? If so then yes, he should've been gone last season.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2269468/
Quote:
Early on, before he landed in Calgary and coached the Flames to the 2004 Stanley Cup final, Sutter earned a unique distinction shared only by Al Arbour up to that point - he was behind the bench for a Sharks’ team that showed improvement in five consecutive years.

When asked specifically about what he wanted to see from a new coach, Lombardi invoked his San Jose experience and compared that rebuilding process to where Los Angeles sits now, a young team that started the year with high - some might argue overly high - expectations and thus far, hasn’t met them, for a variety of reasons.

“I’ve been through this before,” said Lombardi. “I saw it with the (Patrick) Marleaus and the (Brad) Stuarts and the (Evgeni) Nabokovs.”

Old
12-13-2011, 12:01 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

I guess it was a very short list indeed

Last edited by Live in the Now: 12-13-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: removed quote
agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
1. Glad Foxy put the kibbosh on that idiocy real quick.

2. I would like to kick the 590 guys in the teeth about 10 times for attempting to stir things up with our Mike Richards.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote