HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Terry Murray Fired

Old
12-12-2011, 10:52 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
H.E. isn't a sensationalist and a reliable source. I may not agree with her conclusions at times but if she says it with authority then she is typically right on the money.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:56 AM
LombardiTool

This article is just a warning for you all to start finding your next whiping boy.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:00 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
With the talent that he has been given this season and the fact that we haven't come close to moving forward as a team I think TM has nobody but his self to blame for his firing. All coaches face adversity, the great ones know how to use it to their advantage.
Well said (your whole statement was excellent) A coach's first priority is to recognize what he has and use the best tools to put together a solid working plan. Part of that is motivation, time management, adapting to adversity and changes within a game. I don't see TM doing that. I see a player like Richardson in the press box for games where his speed and hustle could have been utilized on the third line. I see Hunter on the PP and dump and chase tactics that don't work. Most of all is the lack of confidence that has been growing on this team for the last few weeks. That comes from the coach.

This team, I think, is a close one who like each other and will play for each other. They have a good nucleus or core players , a good goalie and top defense. But the heart of the offense is the center position. And in Kopi and Richards they have two stellar pieces that wiht the right and complimentary wingers, and a plan that allows them to use their creativity and talent, will put up the points.

A good coach, one who has intensity ,d esire and a hunger for victory will do that.
There are good candidates out there.

At this point, with the cat out of the bag, why prolong TM's pain. It will be an uncomfortable practice today and the media will be firing questions I'm sure. If they are making the move, they should do it now, put Stevens in temporariy and interview in the meantime.

To keep TM around when he's not required, would be a detrement to the team esp the players .

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:02 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

The article is more a statement of fact then anything else.

As for whipping boys I agree that this site has gone waaaaaay to negative but TM has earned his critics and their observations so this is a different case.

I never liked the hiring of TM from the start but I will say Thank You and truly the best wishes for a class act. The guy knows his hockey but was unable to tap into it and take his team to the cup and I think that ia the problem he ran into.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Kingurentai

I think the general consensus is he served his purpose. I'm sure it's disappointing for him, but I doubt it'll end in a bad way.

I'd really like to see them bring someone up from AHL/CHL.

I've heard the Keenan name thrown around. Great coach but I dunno man, he seems to bring a lot of problems.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Keenan? No way that is happening. I thought Lombardi was antiquated in pursuing a coach who's last gig was in 2000-01... it would make zero sense whatsoever to bring in Mike Keenan. He's an old school coach who would not communicate well with the players today. Keenan likes having a veteran heavy squad as well. If Lombardi hires Keenan, consider him doomed.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Could be a last ditch motivational tactic. Maybe Deano's the leak? :p
.... my guess is worried player's agent (think pending UFA) asking senior management what's going on and then worried player's agent later talking with Helene....

Murray gets to 500.

Stevens or crazy idea coming even Lombardi behind the bench to see and feel out the players himself and increase the pressure on the team. In the meantime, they lay plans for permanent coach as soon as possible.... then,

We get Boughner. Lots of our junior players have played under him so that would help as those players come up. He would also fit culture building and could probably teach some guys something about ferocity and tenacity. Lots of championships and winning around him.

Maybe it's a couple of weeks or a month process??

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
I don't have it in me to gloat over the firing of Terry Murray.

That feels like firing up a barbecue outside the walls of a prison where someone's being executed. I could never do it.

Do the deed, get it over with. Install the new coach. Put this underachieving roster immediately on notice. Any player who still can't get it promptly in gear under the new regime needs a swift ticket out of town.
Great point. We should respect what Murray brought this team and hockey. This is a very tough holiday for him and his family.

Old
12-12-2011, 12:08 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Great point. We should respect what Murray brought this team and hockey. This is a very tough holiday for him and his family.
I don't buy into this. Most of these coaches get a pretty big lump sum of cash if they get fired. Murray and his family will be fine.

I do respect Murray and think he is a great guy.

Same goes for players, guys who get waived or bought out still get paid. It does suck for Moreau, but he can go play in the AHL and be the highest paid player on the Monarchs.

I know it's a little harsh, but it is the truth.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
This article is just a warning for you all to start finding your next whiping boy.
Wait are we trading Dustin Brown?

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Fishhead

I'm sure Murray will be relieved when this is over. The fans will be relieved too. The players, however, will not, which is good.

Murray gets plenty of security, less stress for the rest of the season, and a lot of positives from coaching LA. He'll catch on as an assistant focusing on defense as early as next year. He's not an offensive coach at all, but where he's taken us defensively in the last 3-4 years is nothing short of amazing. When he got here, this team was tripe defensively.

I've always liked TM and wanted him to succeed badly, but things don't always work out.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Johnny Utah

One thing I like about Murray is that he harps on the players to play sound defensively and "hard and heavy." I hope whoever the replacement is keeps the guys playing like that.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
I don't buy into this. Most of these coaches get a pretty big lump sum of cash if they get fired. Murray and his family will be fine....
Sure, I get this. But I wasn't really referring to cash, you see.

Old
12-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
LOL @ the Keenan suggestion.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Johnny Utah

Lombardi better not get another recycled coach...Crawford, Terry Murray have coached in the NHL before...

A lot of the teams having success recently have coaches who have NEVER coached in the NHL....ie, Florida, Dallas....

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
DaAnimal

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=605998

If that's on NHL.com i'm pretty confident that TM's time is coming to an end.

I know its just a report but its a big sign

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

If Murray gets fired, he'll most likely get hired by a team like NYI. A young team that is so defensively bad that they actually need him.

That's the thing with Murray, he isn't a bad coach, he just isn't the right coach AT ALL for this team.

A team like NYI could probably use him.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:32 PM
SuperAlmeida

JOHN HYNES-Make it happen!

Quote:
A 36-year-old native of Warwick, R.I., Hynes is the youngest head coach in the AHL today. He joined the Penguins organization as an assistant coach in Wilkes-Barre last season and was named head coach on July 31, 2010. Hynes was previously a successful coach in the United States National Development Program, where his Under-18 national teams won silver (2004), gold (2006) and bronze (2008) in IIHF world championship play, and he worked with and developed nearly three dozen future NHL players, including first-overall draft picks Erik Johnson and Patrick Kane. Hynes played four seasons at Boston University and helped the Terriers to a national title in 1995, and began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at BU.

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 12-12-2011 at 12:39 PM.
SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:36 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Yep, that's how I see it as well.

TM did what he thought was best for the team.

Unfortunately, it appears his best wasn't good enough.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Winger23

To be honest I don't care which coach it is, as long as they can do the following:

Keep lines that makes sense. Don't put guys like Moreau or Hunter in the top 6 just because they played great from the dots to board.

Light a fire under the team's ass when it needs it.

Have the balls to sit anyone and everyone who's not giving 100% every shift.

Aware that you need more than 1 goal a game to win and not be happy with the effort just cause they are giving up less goals than last year.

Doesn't play quick 70 times a season.

Actually takes advantage at home with the last change and not putting out our 3rd line in offensive zone faceoffs with the game on the line.

Someone who knows when an obvious time out is needed.

Last edited by Winger23: 12-12-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I'll call it: Hextall.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Ajtacker

I just want a coach who can motivate his team to show up and compete all game long, that's it.

Ajtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

All this teasing is giving me so much stress. I want the thread title to go from "About to get fired" to "fired" right now!

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:21 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
JOHN HYNES-Make it happen!
I'm with you!! That's the guy the Kings need to hire!

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:23 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

I'm pulling for Hynes but I know there is no chance Dean would hire him

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote