HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Terry Murray Fired

Old
12-12-2011, 01:28 PM
SuperAlmeida

vCash: 500
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=2&id=141673

The possible coaching change is on The NHL Network News Update.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Whiskeypete

keenan....hell no. you think things are bad now. guys would be *** up and *** off intentionally just to get shipped out.

milbury....might as well put that out there, since someone is crazy enough to throw keenan's name in the hat. another big hell no. in fact get him off of my TV every night

Hynes....been my choice for weeks now. just wish i had some access to WB games, so i could see him perform. his resume is impressive, but what's more important is what he did last year with a roster that was gutted due to PIT's injury/roster moves. to do what he did under those circumstances, shows he gets 100% out of his guys.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
This article is just a warning for you all to start finding your next whiping boy.
That's why Penner has been doing so well. The pressure was completely on TM the last few games. With TM gone he'll be the whipping boy again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
A good coach, one who has intensity ,d esire and a hunger for victory will do that.
There are good candidates out there.
Say what you want about TM, but I've never questiond his desire and hunger for a victory. I disagree with his ideas on how to get there, but not his desire. Just because he's not screaming doesn't mean he's not intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Great point. We should respect what Murray brought this team and hockey. This is a very tough holiday for him and his family.
I think it'll be tough on TM for sure, but not so much the family. TM will be around for the holidays, not there for 2-3 days then gone again like many NHL players/coaches/executives. Money aside, this is a blessing in disguise for many sports families who have spent a lot of time away from a loved one over the eyars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Murray gets plenty of security, less stress for the rest of the season, and a lot of positives from coaching LA. He'll catch on as an assistant focusing on defense as early as next year. He's not an offensive coach at all, but where he's taken us defensively in the last 3-4 years is nothing short of amazing. When he got here, this team was tripe defensively.

I've always liked TM and wanted him to succeed badly, but things don't always work out.
I never really liked TM, and I have said so a lot here, but I will also be the first to applaud him for what he did defensively for us. He took a bewildering team and turned them into one of the most well oiled defense teams in the league. I believe if TM could have generated a more fruitful attack, that alone would have made us the top defensive team in the league as the opposition would have had to give us more space and back off a bit, likely leading to fewer chances for them. The old a good defense is a good offense sort of mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
I'm pulling for Hynes but I know there is no chance Dean would hire him
Why not? Just because DL has hired retreads mostly doesn't guarantee he will do the same again. Especially at this point when there is really only one retread, Carlyle, who is worth discussing IMO. The only other former NHL coach I can see us hiring mid-season is Stevens.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
FakeTerryMurray tweet:

Hmm... that's strange. My paychecks usually come on Fridays, not Mondays. Well, back to game prep. Gotta get ready for tomorrow!

Plus, both Dean and Tim have declined comment. That can't be good for Terry. Usually they at least pretend that Murray's job is safe.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Plus, both Dean and Tim have declined comment. That can't be good for Terry. Usually they at least pretend that Murray's job is safe.
the fact that Leiweke's name was even brought up by RH at this point tells you who's on board and probably where the leak came from in the 1st place.

Stupid. Just should have fired him when they were ready and said nothing beforehand. TM probably deserves to lose his job, but he doesn't deserve this from management.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:12 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I think DL will make a smart choice, but not a brilliant choice. Often, to make a brilliant choice, you need to take a risk, like the Pens did with Bylsma. Go for a guy whose never done it before, but could be great at it. DL has rarely gone full out on anything he's done, the biggest exception being the Richards trade as the Kings GM. Other than that, it's been slow and steady, build from within, take the safe play most of the time (the Hickey draft pick not included). That would lead to an NHL retread like Stevens or a farm guy like Morris who DL knows already. I believe DL has hired a guy every time he was somehow familiar with prior to his hiring, other than Darryl Sutter and Crawford (unless there was a connection I'm missing).

His first coach was Al Sims, who was an Assistant in Anaheim when DL was Assistant GM there. After Sutter, it was Ron Wilson, who was the Head Coach of the Ducks when Lombardi was there. After Crawford it was TM, and we know the connection there. Sutter and Crawford meanwhile were pretty well known names when DL hired them.

I expect DL with either go with someone he knows from the present/past (Stevens, Roy Sommer, Lorne Molleken, Craig Hartsburg, Darryl Sutter, Mike Johnston, Bill Ranford, Mark Hardy or Kompon) or a big name who is available (Randy Carlyle) based on his past MO.

Obviously some names on that list wouldn't be considered (and I assume the masses would revolt 1776-style if Kompon was hired) but if the past tells the future, that's your likely list that DL is looking at. The only other name I'd add to is Morris from Manchester who joined the Kings organization the same time as Lombardi.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:13 PM
SLang

Look, I want TM fired....have for some time now. But this is SUCH a weak way to handle it. Unless Helene is just full of BS (most here feel she's probably spot on), of course.

Just cut the guy loose and get on with it, already.

Why do I feel that this is really one of those "careful what you wish for" scenarios? After all, what's next if a coaching regime change doesn't work?

Just when I thought the Kings might be poised at the edge of success.....

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:20 PM
jml87

Hate to do this stuff around the holidays but need to make a change now to save the season. 30th in the league in goals is unacceptable.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:31 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

My feeling is that Murray will be fired after the Boston game (I was going to say after the next loss, but lets face it, they dont have the will to win so thatll probably be tonight).

I'm guessing an in person meeting to finalize everything is required which is what is necessitating the delay, otherwise it would have been done already (hence the "don't worry fans, we're going to fire him but you'll have to put up with uninspired play for a while longer" leak.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Duc620

It would be pretty funny if Lombardi and Hextall were actually on the East Coast to put the final touches on a very big trade. And they used Murray as a distraction....

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Shellz

Dennis Bernstein @DennisTFP
League source told me to connect dots on possible LA coaching change. Tony Granato played for Lombardi in SJ, was repped by VP Jeff Solomon

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:50 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Look, I want TM fired....have for some time now. But this is SUCH a weak way to handle it. Unless Helene is just full of BS (most here feel she's probably spot on), of course.

Just cut the guy loose and get on with it, already.
Agree 100%. Whoever leaked this is garbage.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Dennis Bernstein @DennisTFP
League source told me to connect dots on possible LA coaching change. Tony Granato played for Lombardi in SJ, was repped by VP Jeff Solomon
Granato would be ideal.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
No thanks to Granato. Look at the talent that guy had to work with and look at his results. That hire would be the end of DL. Look through the Avs archive to get the full picture.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 648
If these reports are true it seems like the Kings arent handling it which much class. If you are going to cut him loose, just do it already.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Is it possible that the kings want to give TM one final chance at 500 wins?

A reach no doubt, but who knows.

Old
12-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Why do I feel that this is really one of those "careful what you wish for" scenarios?
well it cant get any worse, so its a no risk high reward situation

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Granato would be ideal.
Granato familiar with LA having played here. Kings on Eastern swing with PIT at home. Next game in nearby CLB. Coincidences? Maybe, we'll see.

Old
12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
No thanks to Granato. Look at the talent that guy had to work with and look at his results. That hire would be the end of DL. Look through the Avs archive to get the full picture.
He was definitely not ready for that gig. He may be better suited now. Exact kinda guy the team needs. Younger, former player with Passion and enthusiasm.

Old
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I'm not trying to endorse Granato but to disqualify the guy because he failed at his first head coaching attempt is ridiculous.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
He also failed at his second coaching attempt, and that team had good players on it too.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=670106

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=571982

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=89518

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=75935

All necessary reading. I'll leave it at that.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Tony Granato doesn't seem like the right guy to me, unless he is bringing Bylsma with him. Dean is pretty much putting his job on the line with this coaching hire, wish he would step out of his own comfort zone for once.

I would rather give a shot to a guy who has never coached in the NHL. Someone from the AHL.

Old
12-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Tony Granato doesn't seem like the right guy to me, unless he is bringing Bylsma with him. Dean is pretty much putting his job on the line with this coaching hire, wish he would step out of his own comfort zone for once.

I would rather give a shot to a guy who has never coached in the NHL. Someone from the AHL.
Listen to what you're asking...

You're saying that DL is putting his job on the line but yet, you think he should hire a coach who has never coached an nhl game?

Doesn't really make logical sense to me.

Old
12-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Listen to what you're asking...

You're saying that DL is putting his job on the line but yet, you think he should hire a coach who has never coached an nhl game?

Doesn't really make logical sense to me.
It makes perfect sense because he is following the exact path that got him fired in SJ. Why go with another one from his past? He needs to step out of his comfort zone. The safe choice usually doesn't work out anyways.

He needs to be opposite Dean for a week.

Old
12-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
It makes perfect sense because he is following the exact path that got him fired in SJ. Why go with another one from his past? He needs to step out of his comfort zone. The safe choice usually doesn't work out anyways.

He needs to be opposite Dean for a week.
Lot easier said than done.

Would you hire a coach with no nhl experience if your job was on the line?

Having said that, I would be fine with Hynes but prefer Granato or Tocchet.