HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Most likeable Rangers in over a decade?

Old
01-06-2012, 01:41 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

vCash: 500
Most likeable Rangers in over a decade?

Is there any team out there that in our recent history has a group of guys more liked in one season?

We have had busts, really annoying or bad players on this team that have failed to meet expectations, cause issues outside the organization or just failed overall as Rangers

Guys like Malik, Redden, Gomez, Holik, Drury, Rozival, Higgins and more has-been's cant bring us morally down anymore.

And there have been plenty more early in the 2000's too.

Last great and likeable team I personally loved rooting might have been the 1997 Rangers team. Of course 1994 was awesome, but I was a tad bit young to understand hockey then and grew up with the team once Gretzky arrived.

I look down this roster and I have beef with no one in particular and even if there were any players deterrent to the team, they do not have a major impact on the team.

2011-12 Rangers...Most likeable Rangers team in over a decade?

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Easy to like a team that is in 1st in the league

But yes, I agree.

Though I still loved Jagr/Lindros/Bure/Fleury. Especially Jagr. Was pretty disappointed with the Boo's he got a few weeks ago. Guy was a class act all the way with our team and brought us back from being an embarrassment.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by APuckHog View Post
Easy to like a team that is in 1st in the league

But yes, I agree.

Though I still loved Jagr/Lindros/Bure/Fleury. Especially Jagr.
One of my favorite Rangers of all time...Even if it was 51 games I think. 2001 and 2002 right up until he got injured

But both those teams failed to make the playoffs

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Is there any team out there that in our recent history has a group of guys more liked in one season?

We have had busts, really annoying or bad players on this team that have failed to meet expectations, cause issues outside the organization or just failed overall as Rangers

Guys like Malik, Redden, Gomez, Holik, Drury, Rozival, Higgins and more has-been's cant bring us morally down anymore.

Last great and likeable team I personally loved rooting might have been the 1997 Rangers team. Of course 1994 was awesome, but I was a tad bit young to understand hockey then and grew up with the team once Gretzky arrived.

I look down this roster and I have beef with no one in particular and even if there were any players deterrent to the team, they do not have a major impact on the team.

You go up and down the lineup and it's hard to find anyone that doesn't contribute...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

We've got dozens of players who even if they ended up on another team, I'd still root for them. Out of division, anyways.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:18 PM
NYRSkate

This is easily the team I've rooted for the most and the hardest since 1994. The post-lockout team comes close though.

Even guys like Bickel, Stralman, Deveaux and so on, I'm finding myself taking a liking to, where in the past fill-ins were just there. Everyone is contributing, everyone. It's so rare and wonderful for a Ranger team to have this be the case, anyone can be the hero on any given day.

NYRSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
You go up and down the lineup and it's hard to find anyone that doesn't contribute...
Brian Boyle

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:20 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Last year's team was pretty likable as well.

I can't pinpoint any one thing as to why they are so likable. However, with a gun to my head, this team works so hard and is never out of a game.

It's easy to like a team that works their a$$ off and seems to genuinely enjoy each other.

It really appears that there is something special brewing @ the Garden.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:28 AM
stasiewich
Monahan 4 president

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Brian Boyle
Erik Christensen

stasiewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:42 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
I didn't watch the Rangers for 10 years, but I looked at their season game records since their inception and it's not pretty in the past 10 years (or what most call the dark ages). I used to watch more Yankee games and out of all sports teams I have watched, this is definitely my favorite.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:53 AM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Quote:
Brian Boyle
man torts really likes him, geez.... i have to agree that its hard to dislike anything our boys are doin, tho the 1st year after lockout with jags nylander and straka was fun too, even rozy and malik was liked that year, the rise of hank.

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:45 AM
mike14

Not that I want to take anything away from this team, who all do seem very likable, but I'd say the evolution of both sports coverage and social media has a fair bit to do with this.

Give the same level of access to teams from before the lockout and opinions may change a bit (although the lack of success wouldn't help). For what it's worth I found those early 2000 teams with Leetch, Richter, mess, Fleury (would have loved to have seem him on 24/7), etc quite likeable, they just sucked as a team...

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:18 AM
mrhockey193195

Watching most of this team grow up together, in front of our eyes, has been one of the greatest treats for my sports-watching-career. I never imagined that there'd be a core group of Rangers that I loved more than this, even though I'm no longer a starry-eyed 10 year old who idolizes the players I see skate for the blueshirts on a daily basis. Watching Cally, McD, DannyG, Hank, Dubi, Artie, Hags, Sauer, MDZ, Staal, etc. has been incredible for me. When (no, not if) this team wins the cup, I don't know how to describe how I will feel.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Easily. Easily my fav team since 1994.

Determination, grit, youth, some skill... What's not to like?

Easily.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Easily. . What's not to like
9 losses, the fact that Stepan stole my future ex-wife, as seen on 24/7 she's a hottie..Gabby had a beauty to..Bastardo's!!!

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post

Ive been watching the Rangers for about 15 years now. I actually became a fan during the dark ages from 1997-2004 and IMO they did have some likeable teams through that period.

However, I cannot remember a time since becoming a Rangers fan where I have been as confident in a team as I am with this team. I grew up to expect this team to disappoint me on a nightly basis, even through last year. I don't this year.

This has nothing to do with first place. It has to do with the team and their style of play. They never give up. They never stop fighting and for the first time I truly believe we can win EVERY game.

01-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
9 losses, the fact that Stepan stole my future ex-wife, as seen on 24/7 she's a hottie..Gabby had a beauty to..Bastardo's!!!
Wait, what really? Were you already separated, or did she leave you for him?

01-07-2012, 11:50 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Absolutely, it has been 15 yrs! It is easier to cheer for a team that has a lot of players we drafted and developed. Thank goodness for the lockout, best thing that could have happened for this franchise.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:51 AM
NickyMaz

I agree, these guys all have a ton of personality. It bothers me when I hear people repeat the refrain that "the league needs Crosby", sure he's a very talented player but he has the personality of a block of wood. 24/7 showed that we have guys who the public can like, rally behind and follow. The NHL is full of great players who are also great people, like Patrick Kane (watched him on NHL 36, great show BTW), Cally, Henrik, Dubi etc. So people can stop acting like Crosby is the end-all and be-all of the NHL need to realize we have a ton of talent and personalities that can capture the public's attention.

NickyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:54 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Best team to cheer for since 94, agreed. I haven't been this excited for the next game to come in ages. I guess winning has that effect.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Brian Boyle
Sorry but Boyle contributes too, defense, penalty killing, fore checking, body checking, every littler bit helps, he centered our most effective line for a bunch of games with Dubi and Mitch...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:45 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

They work hard, they don't give up, they show the ability to come back, they don't blow leads, they sacrifice themselves to block shots, everybody contributes, they have a coach that doesn't let them get off their game... and they're #1 in the NHL.

After living through the late 90s/early 2000s (a weird conglomeration of floating, overpaid, lazy, aging players) and to an extent some of the post-lockout Renney teams (especially the Naslund-Gomez-Drury-Zherdev team that had NO business being in the playoffs much less taking Washington to a 7th game)... these last two years have been incredible to watch. I was very satisfied with the accomplishments of the 2010-11 Rangers and this year seems to be when it's all coming together. All the big guys they rely on have been incredible; especially Henrik, Gabby, and Captain Cally. There's really no one in this lineup I dislike.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:51 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Wait, what really? Were you already separated, or did she leave you for him?
I think he was being sarcastic.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:23 PM
thepoeticgoblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSkate View Post
This is easily the team I've rooted for the most and the hardest since 1994. The post-lockout team comes close though.

Even guys like Bickel, Stralman, Deveaux and so on, I'm finding myself taking a liking to, where in the past fill-ins were just there. Everyone is contributing, everyone. It's so rare and wonderful for a Ranger team to have this be the case, anyone can be the hero on any given day.
This.

thepoeticgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote