Notices

OT: Sidney Crosby Out Due To PCS; No Timetable For Return

Old
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
StanleyCup2011*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
There is a small part of me. A very, very small part. That feels a certain vindictive pleasure that the shoe is now on the other foot for those Pens fans who were defending Matt Cooke.
I honestly don't feel bad. He's rushing back just like Savard did. But nothing inside me feels remorseful for Pittsburgh fans who are upset about this. I actually even laugh when they blame Krejci for elbowing him.

StanleyCup2011* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:23 PM
lopey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyCup2011 View Post
I honestly don't feel bad. He's rushing back just like Savard did. But nothing inside me feels remorseful for Pittsburgh fans who are upset about this. I actually even laugh when they blame Krejci for elbowing him.
Even if it was an intentional elbow, which it was not, it was not much of one. As alot of posters have said, I am worried that this injury is like Savard's. Savards was hit with a relatively soft bodycheck and he is now done as a player. Just kind of scary to see players with concussions returning and getting PCS from just playing the game.

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
C77

Feels like Groundhog Day.

Unfortunately hockey is a brutal game and no one is guaranteed a long career.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
TheBigBadB

There is just no way to prevent concussions anymore. They HAVE been working on equipment. They HAVE been making better helmets. They are making better rules. Its just that these dudes are getting bigger, stronger and faster every year.

TheBigBadB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:31 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Ridiculous that incidental contact caused all this.

When will the league take a hard look at equipment? And not blame it on respect or the change in the way the game is played.

Things will only get worse until player equipment shrinks. I would much rather see Crosby out this a rotator cuff injury than this. If you shrink the shoulder pads, player will get injured, but they will adjust their game to stop it from happening.

I just dont see how NHL players can adjust their game to stop getting concussions from hard plastic shoulder pads.

You speak the truth. Instead people will continue to rid fighting from the game.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
dtam83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB View Post
There is just no way to prevent concussions anymore. They HAVE been working on equipment. They HAVE been making better helmets. They are making better rules. Its just that these dudes are getting bigger, stronger and faster every year.
I think it was Don Cherry that said they should change the armor back to how it was before instead of all this plastic. I think Shawn Thornton still goes with the soft padded armor. This way it's not as hard when there's contact and not so many "heroes" that give brutal hits since they feel it themselves

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8YBEQ9QyxQ @ 2:28

Last edited by dtam83: 12-12-2011 at 04:38 PM.
dtam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:40 PM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtam83 View Post
I think it was Don Cherry that said they should change the armor back to how it was before instead of all this plastic. I think Shawn Thornton still goes with the soft padded armor. This way it's not as hard when there's contact and not so many "heroes" that give brutal hits since they feel it themselves
I just do not believe its the equipment per say. I'd say making the equipment softer may slow down a player from delivering a jarring hit, but I dont think its the equipment more than the huge buffed out athlete under the equipment. Basically it still follows the age old formula E= MC2 . These guys are bigger and better skaters than the 80s and early 90s

Old
12-12-2011, 04:41 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Reminds of Lindros except Sid isnt as good.

:looks at Lindros jersey hanging in closet:

KCBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Therick67

Quote:
I just do not believe its the equipment per say. I'd say making the equipment softer may slow down a player from delivering a jarring hit, but I dont think its the equipment more than the huge buffed out athlete under the equipment. Basically it still follows the age old formula E= MC2 . These guys are bigger and better skaters than the 80s and early 90s
You may be right, but it's something they need to look at. Maybe the ice surface needs to be bigger.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

I'm sure other team's fan are already blaming Krejci and the Bruins for Crosby being out, but if it was that significant of a hit, why did they wait until a week later to announce it? If this was any other player, no one would have taken the time to dig up a game video from a week ago, just to watch and see where Crosby takes the most contact.

I wish Crosby the best, but this is whole scenario is starting to look too much like the Savard situation sadly.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:45 PM
CamFan81
Derp

People blaming Krejci for crosby is like blaming hunwick for savard.

lame

But as per the norm when it comes to those outside of the B's fanbase. Fk em and their opinion

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

I don't have to travel to far on the interwebs to remember why I could care less.

http://www.thepensblog.com/pensblog/...-pens-win.html
Quote:
Let's get it out there right now.
We don't feel bad about the Marc Savard hit.
We don't care about the Marc Savard hit.

You know why? Because we can see into the future. It comes with the territory of being part of the fanbase of the World Champs: The time will come when a Penguin is the victim of this type of hit, and whoever made the hit would be championed all across the Internet. We wake up every day preparing for that.
They were prepared, they can deal just fine.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:59 PM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
You may be right, but it's something they need to look at. Maybe the ice surface needs to be bigger.
Agreed, bigger ice gives players more reaction time. Just got to convince all the Arenas to change the rinks. I am sure that would be the biggest sticking point.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:04 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Quote:
Agreed, bigger ice gives players more reaction time. Just got to convince all the Arenas to change the rinks. I am sure that would be the biggest sticking point.
i dunno, i see this having the opposite affect. More ice space, more room for even faster hockey. These concussions increase once you made it illegal to even fart near a player let alone slow him down. I think making players wear pads like Thornton may have some of the the best bang for the buck. Add in the new rules about headshots and you might get somewhere.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I don't have to travel to far on the interwebs to remember why I could care less.

http://www.thepensblog.com/pensblog/...-pens-win.html

They were prepared, they can deal just fine.

Ouch.

Like I said, shoe is definitely on the other foot.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
People blaming Krejci for crosby is like blaming hunwick for savard.

lame

But as per the norm when it comes to those outside of the B's fanbase. Fk em and their opinion
Or Derek England, who hit Savard cleanly, but clearly rocked him.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Or Derek England, who hit Savard cleanly, but clearly rocked him.
The Engelland hit was really what finished Savard off IMO. Agree, nothing wrong with the hit, but I cringed when I saw it. The Hunwick "hit" may have the been the straw that broke the camel's back, but only because Engelland had just dropped a 10-ton weight on said camel.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:34 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
I guess I'll upload the alleged elbow... Is there asong I can play during the slow motion that isn't super tasteless?

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:37 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
I guess I'll upload the alleged elbow... Is there asong I can play during the slow motion that isn't super tasteless?
LL Cool J "momma said knock you out"

Scorpions "rock you like a hurricane"

I'm thinking no music. Maybe the Inception song,

Old
12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie

Looks like a nothing play to me. He took a number of hits in that game aside from the collision with Kunitz, he fell hard on his face after getting tangled up with Lucic... I don't know. Maybe its just the cumulative effect of all the small things since he's come back?

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:56 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post

Looks like a nothing play to me. He took a number of hits in that game aside from the collision with Kunitz, he fell hard on his face after getting tangled up with Lucic...
Can't get anymore incidental then that. Wonder what they had to say to each other there when they were talking from the bench.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
i dunno, i see this having the opposite affect. More ice space, more room for even faster hockey. These concussions increase once you made it illegal to even fart near a player let alone slow him down. I think making players wear pads like Thornton may have some of the the best bang for the buck. Add in the new rules about headshots and you might get somewhere.
I dont know about the bigger ice,

That might lead to a very boring game. The trap was designed and developed on Olympic ice. More space = more place to hide and collapse and cut down on angles.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Won't hit as hard if they're at more risk of getting a nasty stinger on the shoulder.

I agree that downgrading shoulder pads and elbow pads in particular is an interesting option.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 341
This stinks for Sid, the Pens and NHL hockey.

Sid the kid is an amazing hockey player.

I hope he stays out long enough this time and comes back to 100%. I hope Bergy speaks to him.

Good luck Sidney. Take all the time you need and come back .

12-12-2011, 06:24 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I feel bad whenever anyone gets hurt like this...The NHL is better with Crosby healthy, and that's a fact. I will say though it's pretty lame on his part to single out Krejci in that type of game, with all the hitting.... Pretty fairy thing to do IMO.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote