HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is the best Canuck in history?

Old
12-12-2011, 07:40 PM
BloatedGuppy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
You're aware that Linden is one of the best game 7 NHL players of all time, right? From the beginning of his career, until the end, when the chips were down you could count on Linden in a game 7.

That is Trevor Linden's legacy.

Even in the twilight of his career, in a year he only scored 12 goals, a game 7 rolls around, and hey, Linden scores a massive goal.
This, right here. Those questioning Linden's legacy with this team are failing to understand that he is, by far, the most clutch player the Canucks have ever had. The bigger the game, the better Linden got. One of the few players in NHL history with a HIGHER points per game in the playoffs then the regular season. His performance in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals with broken ribs would have been the stuff of legends if they'd won. He was the best player on the ice, and he was sharing that ice with some future Hall of Famers.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

I'd rank him higher in talent and even importance to the franchise over Linden and I LOVE LINDEN.

Best Person, face of the franchise and great player: Linden (Gary Valk also has a nice face).

Best scoring Talent: Bure (left too soon, lacked personality)

Best Canuck: Naslund (but lack of playoff success)

Best Career: Sedins (hopefully), if they win a cup or a Conn Smythe they replace Best Canuck and Best Talent.

Best Defensive Player? Edler at the end of his Career? But perhaps Kesler because of the Selke.

Best Goalie: Luongo (even above McLean)

Last edited by Anzes Eyes: 12-12-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: edit
Anzes Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:45 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Best Hockey Players to put on a Nucks Sweater

Sedins
Naslund
Linden
Mogilny
Bure
Messier
Sundin
Larionov
Reinhart
Luongo

Best Career Canucks

Linden
Sedins
Kesler
Naslund
Bure
Luongo
McLean

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:46 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
Best Hockey Players to put on a Nucks Sweater

Sedins
Naslund
Linden
Mogilny
Bure
Messier
Sundin
Larionov
Reinhart
Luongo

Best Career Canucks

Linden
Sedins
Kesler
Naslund
Bure
Luongo
McLean
Hiss....

Old
12-12-2011, 08:00 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
You're aware that Linden is one of the best game 7 NHL players of all time, right? From the beginning of his career, until the end, when the chips were down you could count on Linden in a game 7.

That is Trevor Linden's legacy.

Even in the twilight of his career, in a year he only scored 12 goals, a game 7 rolls around, and hey, Linden scores a massive goal.
Uh, huh yeah great he was a good career 2nd/3rd liner.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Lemurion

If you count their overall careers, sure Messier was one of the best players who ever wore a Canucks Jersey; but he was never one of the best players IN a Canucks Jersey.

And for me, that counts him out.

Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:02 PM
luongo321

In a few years, it will be the Sedins OR Luongo IF Luongo somehow steals multiple games in the playoffs that end up leading us to the cup. If we win a cup and it's a team effort then it's the Sedins. The Sedins calmness and consistency is incredible.

Most exciting player based on pure skill is Bure.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Carl Carlson

Bure, soon to be overtaken by the Sedins. If one of the Sedins wins another Art Ross this year, I'd rank them higher.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:10 PM
kootenayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
On talent alone: Bure
Overall: Linden
This.

kootenayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
thenextone

Somehow I feel that if Linden was in the lineup in Game 7 last summer, we might have had a chance. Don't know why

It's crazy..Bure was the only guy better than PPG. And if you look at the numbers, the Sedins stats are in Stan Smyl territory for PPG...which speaks for how little they produced the first half of their careers.

I think unless the Sedins win a Cup, Linden will still be the greatest Canuck followed by Naslund/Sedins.

thenextone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Trevor Linden

Soon to be The Sedins.

Also Luongo is the best goalie this franchise has had, sorry Captain Kirk.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
Somehow I feel that if Linden was in the lineup in Game 7 last summer, we might have had a chance. Don't know why
He would have had a hat trick, and we would've lost 4-3.

And then everyone would ask "Why u rate Linden so high, Naslund has more gaols!"

Old
12-12-2011, 08:27 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

By the end of their careers it'll be the Sedins.

Right now it's a nebulous three-way tossup between Naslund, Linden and Bure.

Luongo, McLean, Smyl and Ohlund on the outside.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Hal 9000*

It's amazing just how many different ways people can interpret the original question.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:02 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Uh, huh yeah great he was a good career 2nd/3rd liner.
Are points all that matter? Linden endeared himself to the city by scoring big goals at big times throughout his career. There's something to be said for scoring a lot of points, but sometimes it's when you score them that matters.

For a franchise stocked with players that have shied away from the spotlight and underperformed in the "big game", Linden is one of the few you can truly say brought it when the team needed it most.

...But yeah, he was a "good career 2nd/3rd liner", so none of that matters.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Bombsy

Quote:
Are points all that matter? Linden endeared himself to the city by scoring big goals at big times throughout his career. There's something to be said for scoring a lot of points, but sometimes it's when you score them that matters.

For a franchise stocked with players that have shied away from the spotlight and underperformed in the "big game", Linden is one of the few you can truly say brought it when the team needed it most.

...But yeah, he was a "good career 2nd/3rd liner", so none of that matters.

I agree with you. Saying Linden was a career 2nd/3rd liner is absolutely absurd. And my earlier post (which you didn't quote, I'm just saying) was meant to be a pro-Naslund post more than anti-Linden post.

Saying that, I think it's fair to put Alex Burrows in the same category as Linden in regards to offensive output, defensive play, and coming up clutch. Burrows has scored 2 huge goals that likely saved this current core: the late shorthanded goal vs Carolina in 08/09 that put an end to the 9 (or was it 10?) game losing streak and obviously game 7 OT vs the Hawks. (not to mention the OT winner to sweep the Blues in '09)

I loved Linden. We all did. He had a special something that I wish all of our players had. If this was a "Who's your favourite Canuck of all-time" thread he'd win hands down. Saying that, IMO it's fair to say that based on his on his on ice production only, he's a little bit overrated around here.

Last edited by Bombsy: 12-12-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Bombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
In a few years, it will be the Sedins OR Luongo IF Luongo somehow steals multiple games in the playoffs that end up leading us to the cup. If we win a cup and it's a team effort then it's the Sedins. The Sedins calmness and consistency is incredible.

Most exciting player based on pure skill is Bure.
Is the Jennings enough for Luongo to overtake? I'd say he needs to win a Vezina or a Conn Smythe to overtake Linden, Naslund or the Sedins.

Anzes Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:39 PM
ddawg1950

I'd say, anyone who downplays Linden's achievement/role on the Canucks probably hasn't watched hockey very long. Early in Trevor's career he was a first liner and a 30 goal scorer. His leadership developed even as his goal scoring pace dropped off. And even at the end of his career, he turned it on for the playoffs and was often our best player at that time.

Great Canuck.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:42 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
And then everyone would ask "Why u rate Linden so high, Naslund has more gaols!"
The people who disagree with you sure have bad grammar.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Samzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I'd say, anyone who downplays Linden's achievement/role on the Canucks probably hasn't watched hockey very long. Early in Trevor's career he was a first liner and a 30 goal scorer. His leadership developed even as his goal scoring pace dropped off. And even at the end of his career, he turned it on for the playoffs and was often our best player at that time.

Great Canuck.
Not to mention how young he was when he became captain and put the team on his back, yo...took the mighty 89 Flames to 7 games in the first round!

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonavision View Post
Is the Jennings enough for Luongo to overtake? I'd say he needs to win a Vezina or a Conn Smythe to overtake Linden, Naslund or the Sedins.
I think whoever wins a Conn Smythe shoots to the top of the list.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:20 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeRyaneClowe View Post
The people who disagree with you sure have bad grammar.
Their personal hygiene stinks, too.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

People saying linden need to open their eyes, were talking the best Canuck player here, that means on the ice. A Sedin or Bure, I'm pretty torn. I think I'd go with Daniel Sedin.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Hyack57

It saddens me that the younger generation of Canucks fans will never appreciate Linden at the level lose of us age 25 to 45 do. Likewise there are those who say the same for Stan Smyl and I don't appreciate him enough maybe. But Linden is still my all time favourite Canuck. Heck I'm sitting here in my vintage blue Linden jersey and it's not even game night.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Bombsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
It saddens me that the younger generation of Canucks fans will never appreciate Linden at the level lose of us age 25 to 45 do. Likewise there are those who say the same for Stan Smyl and I don't appreciate him enough maybe. But Linden is still my all time favourite Canuck. Heck I'm sitting here in my vintage blue Linden jersey and it's not even game night.
I'm almost in the middle of that 25-45 range. I watched all of Linden's career. He was good and he was clutch and played best when it mattered the most. But saying he's the best Canuck ever when we've had Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay, Richard and Selke winners is ridiculous IMO. Like I said before, if this is a "Who's your favourite Canuck of All-Time" thread, he would win. It's not - it's a "Who's the best Canuck in History" thread. Trevor Linden was not the best player this team has ever had. He's behind the Sedins, Naslund, and Bure for sure. Even ranking him ahead of Kesler would be pretty tough now. All the aforementioned players were better at their best than Linden was in his. There should be no debate there.

Bombsy is offline   Reply With Quote