HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is the best Canuck in history?

Old
12-12-2011, 11:00 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
and his entire legacy with the canucks was omg he made a SCF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that a team finally has it's starting to take some of the shine off 94
Linden scored more in the SCF in 1994 than both Sedins combined in 2011.

12-12-2011, 11:00 PM
RegDunlop73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
On talent alone: Bure
Overall: Linden
Yes. With an honourable mention to Steamer.

RegDunlop73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Current Sedins and 06/07 Roberto Luongo.
For defense; Mattias Ohlund pre-lockout.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:33 PM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Linden scored more in the SCF in 1994 than both Sedins combined in 2011.
talk about incredible data mining, sorry this is as iggnorrant (sp to try and get past the police) as you can get. Why don't you see who has had a better +/- in games for of the conference final ... sad

LLinden was a great Canuck ... the Sedins have already eclipsed him. Bure was the most spetacular to date ...

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:59 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Bure

Henrik

Daniel

Naslund

Linden

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:17 AM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
You're aware that Linden is one of the best game 7 NHL players of all time, right? From the beginning of his career, until the end, when the chips were down you could count on Linden in a game 7.

That is Trevor Linden's legacy.

Even in the twilight of his career, in a year he only scored 12 goals, a game 7 rolls around, and hey, Linden scores a massive goal.
Perhaps it would have been better if Linden played to his potential more in the regular season then. It's no good just showing up in the playoffs, especially when your team doesn't even make the playoffs most of the time.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
On talent alone: Bure
Overall: Linden
Pretty much this.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Awesomesauce

Trevor Linden was a ppg player in the playoffs until he was 34 years old. He was EASILY the most clutch player to ever play for the Canucks. Trevor wasn't the biggest scorer in the regular season because he saved it for the playoffs. People are being ridiculous here, if Trevor was on this team he would be every bit as good as Kesler only over a much longer period with better playoff performances.

Trevor and Maclean were the only guys to perform in game seven of the Stanley Cup finals scoring 2 goals on what were essentially solo efforts he badly outplayed every other person on the ice. If we had Trevor last year, I have ZERO doubt we would have won the cup because those are the moments he was built for.

Trevor would have probably been one of the top three skaters and shooters on this team, his defensive play was impeccable and he was one of the best leaders the sport has ever seen.

No, as of right now neither Sedin - as much as I love them and as entertaining as they are - has been as valuable to the Canucks as Linden was even if you only count on the ice performance.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:30 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Perhaps it would have been better if Linden played to his potential more in the regular season then. It's no good just showing up in the playoffs, especially when your team doesn't even make the playoffs most of the time.

That's one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard. If the Canuck teams weren't good enough to make the playoffs in the first place, they weren't going anywhere anyway.

What you want is a player that steps up in the playoffs, not the other way around.

We're selling Linden's regular season career a little short here, too. His numbers never lit the world on fire, but he was a 6 time 30 goal scorer.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

For the one or two people here who seem to think the stat sheets are all that matters, it's not like Linden was chump change in any of the Canucks' major statistical categories.

Regular Season:
Games Played: 1st (1,140)
Goals: 2nd (318)
Assists: 3rd (415)

Playoffs:
Games Played: 1st (118)
Goals: T-1st (34)
Assists: 1st (65)

At the very worst, top three in every major statistical category. As far as talent goes, it's hard to argue with the likes of Bure and the Twins. But the question wasn't phrased as "most talented Canuck", it was who is the best Canuck in history. Their overall impact on the franchise has to be measured in that question, and IMO, Linden still casts an imposing shadow in that regard.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

Gotta be the great Keke Mortson.

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:19 AM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Depends on the criteria,

Heart - Trevor
Statistics - Bure for now - Sedin twins in the long run

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:41 AM
Hal 9000*

By letter of the word "best canuck", I'll give it to Linden. Linden was Mr. Canuck

Bure would be the most talented player to play for the canucks, but he wasn't even a "good Canuck", let alone the "Best Canuck".

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:51 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Linden will always be my favorite Canuck because he was ALL heart. Didnt have the skill sets of the Twins or Bure but man was he ever clutch.

CCF and co have already stated things such as G7s but people also tend to forget who they put on the ice and scored for Canada in Nagano '98 in the last minute vs the Czechs.

The guy was always clutch, even in his twilight years.

I still firmly believe he could have contributed more to this team vs Boston this season than guys like Glass, Malhotra, Bolduc did when they played.

In terms of scoring, talent best players ever it's Bure right now but the Sedins will both pass him and be our best ever players.

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:56 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Bure.
Sedins.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:24 AM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Bure

Henrik

Daniel

Naslund

Linden
I'm gonna have to agree with the old guy on this one.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Jrtu

vCash: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
You're aware that Linden is one of the best game 7 NHL players of all time, right? From the beginning of his career, until the end, when the chips were down you could count on Linden in a game 7.

That is Trevor Linden's legacy.

Even in the twilight of his career, in a year he only scored 12 goals, a game 7 rolls around, and hey, Linden scores a massive goal.
I still remember the 98 Nagano.
Canada was playing against Czech.
Canada was so stacked as a team, but we ran into the Hasek-wall.
It was also Linden that came through with the game-tying-goal.

however we still lost in the shootouts.

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombsy View Post
I'm almost in the middle of that 25-45 range. I watched all of Linden's career. He was good and he was clutch and played best when it mattered the most. But saying he's the best Canuck ever when we've had Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay, Richard and Selke winners is ridiculous IMO. Like I said before, if this is a "Who's your favourite Canuck of All-Time" thread, he would win. It's not - it's a "Who's the best Canuck in History" thread. Trevor Linden was not the best player this team has ever had. He's behind the Sedins, Naslund, and Bure for sure. Even ranking him ahead of Kesler would be pretty tough now. All the aforementioned players were better at their best than Linden was in his. There should be no debate there.
You interpret "best Canuck" as most successful Canuck. I interpret "best Canuck" as the player who best exemplified being a part of this team and community.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:55 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
you must be a naslund/bertuzzi fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Bure.
Sedins.
don't you mean:

Bure.
Sedins.
naslund

we have players who led the league in stuff (bure, sedin, other sedin) and then we have players who were so close to leading the league in stuff and probably also the hart trophy, and on top of that the number one seed in our division, but epically choked it all away by getting shut out by a non-playoff team on the last day of the season-- AND losing said accolades to a guy who has been his rival since he was something like 5 years old. i mean, i mean, i mean, for all you naslund is better than linden stats-gazers, that's naslund's career right there in that game. team success on the line and he whiffs. untold personal glory and accolades on the line and he whiffs. finally topping a guy who has owned him his entire life, i mean this last one just comes down to having pride and he whiffs.

remember when hank and dank destroyed the flames on the last day of the season to take the hart and scoring race? remember what made that extra awesome? because it was the opposite of what naslund did.

and you know why game 7 last year was extra awful? because not one single player on the team did what linden did. pride.

and naslund only won one playoff round. one. i win more playoff rounds first thing in the morning sitting on the toilet.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
IComeInPeace

Linden (along with Smyl, but he doesn't belong in this discussion) is my favorite Nuck of all time.
But Henrik won the Hart, and Daniel came in 2nd last season. They will have each received Hart trophy votes in multiple seasons by the time they retire.

In his prime, where would Trev have ranked in terms of the leagues best players? I'm not about to go through and do the analysis on that, but I think he would have had a nearly impossible time cracking the top 10 in any particular season.

Has Linden ever received a single Hart trophy vote?

Clearly the Sedins are the franchises best players. There is no shame in being considered for the #3 spot behind those two guys.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Alan Jackson

Trevor Linden is my favourite Canuck of all time, and he's the face of the franchise. His blood, sweat and tears over 20 years will always be remembered in Canuck lore. The picture of a bloodied, exhausted Linden with Kirk McLean is an iconic moment in Canucks history. A good player, but a better person. I don't know about anybody else, but I cheer louder for players that are also great people. Anytime a player plays 1,000 games for your franchise, he'll always be fondly remembered in that city.

Naslund was a great Canuck, and it makes me a little sad to see the lack of respect he sometimes gets from Canucks fans. Ultimately though, Naslund is going to be pushed down to third for all-time points, and without much of a playoff legacy, I don't think he'll be considered as the best Canuck.

Bure is the most exciting player I think I've ever seen - especially in his first three seasons here. His time here was too short, though, and he always had one skate out the door. Bure didn't lead the League in scoring like Naslund and the Twins, and the way he left will relegate him to "what could have been" status.

By the time they retire the Sedin twins will be considered the best two players to have ever pulled on a Canuck sweater - especially if they accomplish what we all hope they accomplish. They've got the major awards, they'll retire 1-2 in franchise scoring, and have been the key cogs in the most successful era in team history. They've been extremely active and generous in the community. If they win a Stanley Cup, they'll have statues built and schools named after them.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:24 AM
ddawg1950

I can understand the love for Bure. He was one of the most exciting goal scores the league has ever seen. But the best? Not for me. He was not good defensively, had a reputation as a cherry picker and did not seem to be a team guy. He was one dimensional, IMO....although that was one helluva dimension.

Of course, we haven't defined what best really means. Everyone has their subjective opinion..and the truth is, they were all great Canucks.

For overall skill I'll stick with the Sedins, Nazzy and Linden.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:39 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Trevor Linden is my favourite Canuck of all time, and he's the face of the franchise. His blood, sweat and tears over 20 years will always be remembered in Canuck lore. The picture of a bloodied, exhausted Linden with Kirk McLean is an iconic moment in Canucks history. A good player, but a better person. I don't know about anybody else, but I cheer louder for players that are also great people. Anytime a player plays 1,000 games for your franchise, he'll always be fondly remembered in that city.

Naslund was a great Canuck, and it makes me a little sad to see the lack of respect he sometimes gets from Canucks fans. Ultimately though, Naslund is going to be pushed down to third for all-time points, and without much of a playoff legacy, I don't think he'll be considered as the best Canuck.

Bure is the most exciting player I think I've ever seen - especially in his first three seasons here. His time here was too short, though, and he always had one skate out the door. Bure didn't lead the League in scoring like Naslund and the Twins, and the way he left will relegate him to "what could have been" status.

By the time they retire the Sedin twins will be considered the best two players to have ever pulled on a Canuck sweater - especially if they accomplish what we all hope they accomplish. They've got the major awards, they'll retire 1-2 in franchise scoring, and have been the key cogs in the most successful era in team history. They've been extremely active and generous in the community. If they win a Stanley Cup, they'll have statues built and schools named after them.
"much"?

bure led the league in both regular season and playoff goals. naslund led the league in nothing, ever (unless you count GWG in 2003, which i don't; in vancouver bure had led the league in PP goals, SH goals, and shots).

hard to put linden and bure above the sedins. very easy to put them ahead of nasbert. i would also have luongo ahead of the WCE guys.

i don't know how old you are, but i think to appreciate bure ahead of naslund and bertuzzi, one would have to take into account the late 80s and early 90s canucks. bure's impact was as much social as it was on the ice. he seemed too good to be true and we all were protecting ourselves mentally for another nedved, or pederson, or even linden; it seemed impossible that we could have truly one of the best players in the world. and then he actually came through on that promise; he completely changed the way we thought or ourselves as sad-sack canucks fans. when we won the smythe in bure's rookie year, i don't think anyone who wasn't at least 10 years old that year could appreciate how unbelievable and unprecedented that was for our fanbase psychologically.

naslund and bert also seemed too good to be true in that we couldn't imagine having hart trophy winners or someone lead in the league in points. and that did in fact turn out to be too good to be true. this is why i am adamant that we should take the time to appreciate what we have in daniel and henrik. this comes around once in a lifetime.

and, for the record, no linden was never anything close to a top 10 player in the league. he did, however, get one few hart vote in the 90s: a second place vote in 1992 (which tied him with doug gilmour for ninth, but yeah that's next to meaningless when compared with the hart placings of bure, mclean, naslund, bertuzzi, luongo, sedins, and even kesler; this is more like 1996 mogilny territory).

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Zanon

Jamie Huscroft.

Zanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
"much"?

bure led the league in both regular season and playoff goals. naslund led the league in nothing, ever (unless you count GWG in 2003, which i don't; in vancouver bure had led the league in PP goals, SH goals, and shots).

hard to put linden and bure above the sedins. very easy to put them ahead of nasbert. i would also have luongo ahead of the WCE guys.

i don't know how old you are, but i think to appreciate bure ahead of naslund and bertuzzi, one would have to take into account the late 80s and early 90s canucks. bure's impact was as much social as it was on the ice. he seemed too good to be true and we all were protecting ourselves mentally for another nedved, or pederson, or even linden; it seemed impossible that we could have truly one of the best players in the world. and then he actually came through on that promise; he completely changed the way we thought or ourselves as sad-sack canucks fans. when we won the smythe in bure's rookie year, i don't think anyone who wasn't at least 10 years old that year could appreciate how unbelievable and unprecedented that was for our fanbase psychologically.

naslund and bert also seemed too good to be true in that we couldn't imagine having hart trophy winners or someone lead in the league in points. and that did in fact turn out to be too good to be true. this is why i am adamant that we should take the time to appreciate what we have in daniel and henrik. this comes around once in a lifetime.

and, for the record, no linden was never anything close to a top 10 player in the league. he did, however, get one few hart vote in the 90s: a second place vote in 1992 (which tied him with doug gilmour for ninth, but yeah that's next to meaningless when compared with the hart placings of bure, mclean, naslund, bertuzzi, luongo, sedins, and even kesler; this is more like 1996 mogilny territory).
You are correct. Naslund didn't lead the League in scoring, I misstated that - but he was a first team All-Star three times, and won a Pearson.

I'm old enough to recall Bure's impact on the City. I was in Grade 9 when Bure played his first game. His first game against Winnipeg wasn't on TV, but you could hear the excitement in Robson's voice - I knew then Bure was the type of talent we'd never seen in a Canuck sweater. When I saw the highlites...wow. Oh, I remember. I remember the Canucks being almost instantly transformed from laughing stock to contender. I also remember he only played 428 games as a Canuck, and refused to play here. I remember.

Bure was a more exciting player, but Naslund unquestionably had a better career as a Canuck.

Linden's impact is unquestioned. Whether people like it or not - Linden is the most beloved Canuck ever. Linden was never the most talented player, but his relationship with the fanbase here is almost unparalleled in all of sports. Look at his last game, at the send-off he receieved from BOTH teams. Which of his peers recieved that sort of reaction in his last game? It was Gretzky-esque. Nobody's going to argue that Linden was a better player than Bure or Naslund, but for whatever reason, he was a better Canuck.

We agree about appreciating the Sedin brothers, though. We need to cherish every shift, because it's unlikely we'll ever seen anything quite like them anytime soon. They're already on the path to becoming the best players in franchise history, and if they win...

Last edited by Alan Jackson: 12-13-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote