HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All things Crosby (injuries, career, etc)

View Poll Results: Concussions
Boooo 2,000 99.80%
Yay 4 0.20%
Voters: 2004. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2011, 08:56 AM
vikingGoalie

vCash: 500
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_771716.html

One thing that should stand out for us is this. Genetics play a role in your likelihood to get a concussion. Crosby's sister got a concussion playing hockey as well.
The Lindros brothers both had concussion issues. Both had to retire due to concussions.

Just saying in all likelihood Crosby's genetic makeup makes him more likely to get a concussion.

Old
12-14-2011, 10:56 AM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post

One thing that should stand out for us is this. Genetics play a role in your likelihood to get a concussion. Crosby's sister got a concussion playing hockey as well.
The Lindros brothers both had concussion issues. Both had to retire due to concussions.

Just saying in all likelihood Crosby's genetic makeup makes him more likely to get a concussion.
Both Michalek's out with concussions. What a crazy season.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Control Denied

I wonder if the players are more likely of reporting stuff like this to the doctors rather than playing through it like they might have done in the past, or if its just the speed of the game + the body armor that makes it inevitable, or if its just some crazy coincidence.

All i know is that its getting hard to enjoy the sport when players are going down with concussions left and right. Something needs to be done imo.

Old
12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Kruncher11
a whole lotta grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Control Denied View Post
I wonder if the players are more likely of reporting stuff like this to the doctors rather than playing through it like they might have done in the past, or if its just the speed of the game + the body armor that makes it inevitable, or if its just some crazy coincidence.

All i know is that its getting hard to enjoy the sport when players are going down with concussions left and right. Something needs to be done imo.
And what would you suggest?

Old
12-14-2011, 12:44 PM
trader997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruncher11 View Post
It would be a good start to bring back the old Chris Chelios shoulder pads, and i'm not kidding. Today these things are made of steel.

Old
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Never said it was a fact, I said he's simply prone to symptoms. He could suffer them, or he could be just fine. We don't know but he IS going to be more prone than the average player when contact is made with the head because his brain is still in the healing process.
You said "he needs to understand that he will never (or at least for a very long period of time while his brain continues to heal) be able to have contact to the head without feeling somewhat foggy or getting headaches. Those days are over."

That does not sound like your opinion. It sounds like a doctor speaking to his patient telling him what he needs to understand. You also never said he could be just fine. In fact you said quite the opposite. I was just trying to understand where this expert opinion of yours came from. If you would have said "I think..." or even "It is likely that he will..." rather than "he needs to understand that he WILL never..." then I wouldn't have questioned you. You made what seemed like an outrageous statement of fact, so I challenged you on it.

In any case, I agree with you that he is more heightened to concussion symptoms while he is still recovering. The confusing thing to me though is how will they know when he is actually fully recovered. It just seems so vague (which I'm sure it is).

Old
12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
joey23

Old
12-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
The selfish part of me kind of wishes that they would just put him on the IR. At least it would be a bit of closure and know I wouldn't be seeing him for a time. Instead, it's basically checking back each and every day to see if there's an update.

Old
12-14-2011, 01:08 PM
BOS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
People on this board are hilarious. Apparently unless you have a source for something or have a degree or PHD, you're not allowed to speak about anything. So then here's an idea, since 99% of you don't have medical degrees, everyone shut up about Sid. See how quickly this thread closes down if you practice what you preach.

Again, common sense and ATTENDING science class will tell you that the brain heals at a much slower pace than any other organ. Sid is going to be susceptible to symptoms every time he gets hit in the head for years to come. Any doctor who would deny that needs to have his license taken away. If you don't believe me think about boxers or MMA fighters. Take for instance Chuck Lidell. For years he could withstand being hit without being knocked out by every punch, towards the end of his career, after being knocked out a couple times he went to sleep every single time his chin was touched. It's idiotic to think that Sid isn't going to be prone to symptoms when he gets head contact, his brain is still recovering and will be for a very long time. Anytime he suffers symptoms, it's a sign that his healing process has been set back which is why they call symptoms setbacks.

wow someone that makes sense, post 978 in the old thread that got closed i dam near got crucified for. maybe this time the doctor and everyone else behind crosby will try not to be so politically correct to please everyone,for the doctors to say last time that he was going to be 100% or better post concussion was just foolish to say,as he will probably never be the same pre-concussion.
i know exactly where he's been,where he's at and how it feel's,and with the doctors and treatment he had it's not a good sign to have symptoms this earily in his recovery after they cleared him to be 100% or as good as he's going to get which ever way you want to slice it.,crosby and i are on the same road i've just been on it for quite a few more years i wish the hell i would soon find the end.

Old
12-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
#FireEveryone

This guy makes hilarious videos. There is some naughty language though, just a warning

Old
12-14-2011, 02:43 PM
trader997

This is getting ridiculous, now Skinner and Pitkanen have concussions

Old
12-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey23 View Post
I actually believe they're just being cautious this time. No other reason to keep him off IR.

Old
12-14-2011, 03:37 PM
gitchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
I actually believe they're just being cautious this time. No other reason to keep him off IR.
Putting a player on IR has as much to do with the teams roster as it does with the severity of the injury. Teams only need to do it if they need to free up a roster space. Mike Green, for example, hasn't played in over a month but is not on the IR.

Last edited by gitchie: 12-14-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Old
12-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post

This guy makes hilarious videos. There is some naughty language though, just a warning
If he could get the timing a little better (he should just record the audio separate and break it up so he can match up the pieces to the mouth movements) it would be gold, Jerry. GOLD.

The whole situation with these concussions sucks; might as well try to have a good laugh about it.

As far as Skinner, Letang, the Michalek brothers, et al, I believe what we're seeing is staff and doctors confirming what's been there all along... this game in its current form produces a lot of concussions (maybe mostly minor ones) because of the size and speed of the players, and the equipment. Guys have just learned to play with them, however dumb that may be, but now they're WAY more cautious about it and holding guys out every time.

Old
12-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Dinfire

I saw Barry Melrose on ESPN and he was saying a gear change is on the way, and then said that players should be punished for hits to the head even if they're not intentional. Not sure I agree with that.

I also agree with what someone else posted prior in that players are just refusing to play through the symptoms now, whereas before they would. Still, the number of concussions is alarming and bordering on freakish.

Old
12-14-2011, 06:32 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruncher11 View Post
I suggested something but it's getting tough following all this. I am not sure if it was in another thread or no one is replying to my post. I thought it was a good one. I had several ideas and theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinfire View Post
I saw Barry Melrose on ESPN and he was saying a gear change is on the way, and then said that players should be punished for hits to the head even if they're not intentional. Not sure I agree with that.

I also agree with what someone else posted prior in that players are just refusing to play through the symptoms now, whereas before they would. Still, the number of concussions is alarming and bordering on freakish.
I agree, too.

Some concussions are caused by accidents and not always direct hits to the head. But, of the ones that are, I think taking a serious look at the equipment is necessary. Although, shoulder pads are more bulky and stronger, there has been little progress in the way of helmets from what I can tell. I think the League has to look at helmets. I'm not sure if anything can be done with plays in which a player's head and upper torso is violently shook but hits to the head, helmets should be improved if possible. There are a number of approaches that the League can take and just staying static or not doing anything different is going to result in some career-ending injuries and since the League looks at a business standpoint as well as health, both will be major catastrophes.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:21 PM
joey23

Seems like I'm (or we're) not allowed to post an URL link so I'm going to leave this article here....Sorry for this novel !

Sidney Crosby's Absence: We Were Told This Could Happen, and It Has; Calm Down.

By James Conley(Featured Columnist) on December 12, 2011 (B/R)

Sidney Crosby isn't retiring.

Write it down, say it out loud a few times and, if need be, have it tattooed to your forehead and branded to the palms of your hands.

"I'm not happy about watching," Crosby said Monday. "But I have to make sure with these sort of things that I'm careful and making sure I'm 100 percent before coming back."

"No timetable."

This precautionary absence is exactly the sort of thing Crosby, the Penguins and everyone following the story had been warned was possible. Concussions are compounding injuries, and the best way to manage them is to stay off the ice as long as the symptoms are present.

"No timetable." It sounds damning enough. It means uncertainty, and by God, we demand absolution.

Looking past the fire and brimstone, however, "no timetable" simply means Crosby will come back when he's good and ready. Sure, he was hurt again. It's not a good thing—nor was it totally unforeseen. There were plans in place to handle a recurrence of symptoms, and one can be sure the Penguins, their doctors and 87 are following those plans accordingly.

Above all else comes Crosby's well-being. Tending to that well-being is precisely what he is doing, is precisely what he should be doing, and is precisely what we were told would be the norm in such a situation.

We all knew he might experience a setback.

So why the Glenn Beckian response to something we were told could happen from the get-go?

“I just didn’t feel right,” Crosby said. “I skated the following day after that with a little bit of exertion. I just didn't feel right. After talking with everyone I figured it was better to be cautious and not take any chances. That's where I'm at right now.”

Does that sound like the lament of a man who thinks his career might be over?

The notion that Crosby is going to call it quits is every bit as asinine now as it was in August, June or April. His condition, as far as we on the outside can tell, was favorable enough to allow a comeback in November.

Keep in mind where Crosby was earlier this year compared to now. From what was reported this spring, Crosby apparently couldn't sit in a windowless room without closing the blinds.

Monday, he was still engaging in light workouts while beginning the comeback process of skating, contact and eventually playing.

If the symptoms haven't kept him from engaging in light workouts, we aren't even close to the DEFCON-1 levels of uncertainty and fear that consumed the summer.
None of this is to say his condition ought to be taken lightly. Unless Crosby is completely clear of symptoms for a good, long time, the Penguins have no need to rush him back. Evgeni Malkin and James Neal are scoring like mad men, Marc-Andre Fleury has managed to stay healthy and despite over 130 man-games lost to injury already, the Penguins are within swinging distance of first place in the NHL.

That sort of early-season cushion makes Crosby's comeback dependent only on how he feels and what his doctors say.

To say they rushed him back, too, is crazy.

Crosby reported that he was in good health in returning, and certainly looked to be, potting 12 points in his eight games back. This hit from Boston's David Krejci is the presumed cause of Crosby's latest layoff.
Everyone knew the risk of a hit like this taking place, and it has. We were told that any recurrence of symptoms would be met with the same indefinite period of healing, and by all accounts, the Penguins aren't going to rush their prized asset back to the ice before he's healthy.

This summer was replete with apocalyptic accounts of dizziness, non-contact and non-updates on the Kid's condition. Countless guesses were made at whether he was already finished.

And here we are again. Crosby's out, and the dreaded "indefinite" deadline for his return is stirring the crazy coals in the hyperbole fire that accompanies him no matter what he says or does.

For once, let common sense reign. Crosby isn't retiring. We've seen how the process works, and we know exactly what to expect.

There's really nothing more to it.

http://*******************/articles/...-has-calm-down

Old
12-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post

While I don't disagree.. I have to think that if Crosby had a genetic predisposition towards sustaining concussions he would have had at least one, if not a few, before he turned 23, ya know? It's not like the hit he took from Steckel was a typical hockey play. That collision would have given anyone in the league a concussion.

Perhaps his genetics are the reason for his slow recovery.. I'd buy that.

I think the Lindros brothers both sustained their first concussions as teenagers. And we're talking guys that were always much bigger than their competition.

Last edited by Jacob: 12-14-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old
12-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Jahodac

Well there is no known gene that contributes concussions. Being prone to concussions is very likely not hereditary and what we witness from people in the same families getting concussions, is most likely a coincidence. There could he a genetic factor in the healing process and that is likely what is going on with Crosby. For brain repair, you would need a gene to encode thing ls such as proteins to heal the brain faster. Crosby could be missing a copy of the gene or having an ineffective copy. Since you inherit half of your genetic makeup from each parent, you have two alleles per unlinked gene. Assuming the gene isn't linked, Crosby might have something like a homozygous recessive gene in place of what should be heterozygous or homozygous dominant.

This is just a guess assuming there is a genetic link to the healing process in response to a concussion.

I am a little worried about Crosby but I am sure he will be fine. I do think that concussions are being diagnosed more commonly now with mild symptoms which is why the number of cases seems high.

It isn't time to jump off of the bridge yet.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:23 PM
PTWarrior66*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post

Old
12-14-2011, 11:36 PM
vikingGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
Well there is no known gene that contributes concussions. Being prone to concussions is very likely not hereditary and what we witness from people in the same families getting concussions, is most likely a coincidence. There could he a genetic factor in the healing process and that is likely what is going on with Crosby. For brain repair, you would need a gene to encode thing ls such as proteins to heal the brain faster. Crosby could be missing a copy of the gene or having an ineffective copy. Since you inherit half of your genetic makeup from each parent, you have two alleles per unlinked gene. Assuming the gene isn't linked, Crosby might have something like a homozygous recessive gene in place of what should be heterozygous or homozygous dominant.

This is just a guess assuming there is a genetic link to the healing process in response to a concussion.

I am a little worried about Crosby but I am sure he will be fine. I do think that concussions are being diagnosed more commonly now with mild symptoms which is why the number of cases seems high.

It isn't time to jump off of the bridge yet.
I agree it's not time to jump off the bridge yet.
That article did have 2 different doctors.
Dr. Jack Wilberger, chairman of the department of neurosurgery for West Penn.
and Dr. Stuart who is an Ortho at the Mayo Clinic agree that genetics plays a role in likelihood to get concussions. The one doc said that you are are 3-4x more likely to get a concussion after having gotten one. What exactly that means I'm not sure, more likely to get one before fully recovered or forever? dunno.

As far as why Crosby hasn't been diagnosed with a concussion until now? Perhaps it's because of the heightened awareness around it now combined with the fact that it's damn hard to hit Sidney Crosby when he has his wits about him.

Old
12-15-2011, 12:30 AM
FDBluth

I hope they're just being really cautious. I mean, I've had a headache for the past few days as well, and I'm pretty sure I'm not concussed. Stress can easily give you a headache, and I'm sure Sid's body is going through a ton of that with everything that's going on.

At the same time, I'm sure he knows what concussion symptoms feel like because he's gone through them before.

At the same time at the same time, I wonder if he can't be having a little bit of a placebo effect as well.

Bah, I don't know anymore.

Old
12-15-2011, 01:18 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I hope they're just being really cautious. I mean, I've had a headache for the past few days as well, and I'm pretty sure I'm not concussed. Stress can easily give you a headache, and I'm sure Sid's body is going through a ton of that with everything that's going on.

At the same time, I'm sure he knows what concussion symptoms feel like because he's gone through them before.

At the same time at the same time, I wonder if he can't be having a little bit of a placebo effect as well.

Bah, I don't know anymore.
Even if he is just suffering from "concussion anxiety", that could be an even bigger issue moving forward. I don't know how they will ever tell the difference and until he recognizes that is the issue, he will not receive the therapy he needs. In saying that, I do fear that could be his issue, but who knows.

Old
12-15-2011, 05:38 PM
santiclaws

This is the scariest thing in that linked article:

Quote:
"Three or four months ago, I was concerned he might never come back to play because of how long it was taking him to recuperate," said Dr. Jack Wilberger, chairman of the department of neurosurgery for West Penn Allegheny Health System. "My concerns are further heightened now."

Read more: Headaches put Crosby back on sidelines - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1geKBEmJ4

Old
12-15-2011, 06:43 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Pitkanen, Marc Staal, Kris Letang, Both Michalek's, Giroux, Skinner all out with concussions. Now it looks like Pronger is going to be shut down for the season. What the hell is going on?

Closed Thread