HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Media spark idea

Old
12-13-2011, 06:31 AM
McIlrathsWrath

vCash: 500
Media spark idea

We all know the rangers get no coverage in the media. But what if we collectively bombard shows like boomer & carton with phone calls to show that there is interest in our sport. We made an impact with girardis all star ballot. thoughts?

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:59 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The brain dead football meat heads will just call in and drool dumb excrement about how five minutes of hockey is too much for them to handle. Except it wont sound that literate. It'll sound more like "daaarrrr foooseball woooools hwoky sukths" "gwooo Swanchez". "J...eeeerrr uhhh T. S Jwetz!!!"

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:02 AM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The brain dead football meat heads will just call in and drool dumb**** about how five minutes of hockey is too much for thembto handle. Except it wont sound that literate. It'll sound more like "daaarrrr foooseball woooools hwoky sukths".
LoL.... That's why we need a good turnout. There is enough fans within the city to flood the phone lines even if for one day. Let us be heard.

Old
12-13-2011, 07:07 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Glad you used Jets fans in your example, SSM.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:57 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
The brain dead football meat heads will just call in and drool dumb excrement about how five minutes of hockey is too much for them to handle. Except it wont sound that literate. It'll sound more like "daaarrrr foooseball woooools hwoky sukths" "gwooo Swanchez". "J...eeeerrr uhhh T. S Jwetz!!!"
Lol..say what?

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:30 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Lol..say what?

i THINK he was trying to spell "Jets".........hahaa!

but if you ask me, he has a point. so many football fans out there that dont give two ***** about hockey. i blame espn and the fact that football and basketball are constantly shoved down our throats. thats why i havent watched espn in, no lie, over 5 years. from their perspective it makes sense cos they need their ratings, and there are meathead football fans who will watch the SAME stuff on sportscenter all morning from 0600 til 1100.

i like to think hockey fans are just too intelligent for that.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:04 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANbrAVERY View Post
LoL.... That's why we need a good turnout. There is enough fans within the city to flood the phone lines even if for one day. Let us be heard.
Coming in to this thread I didn't think there was a chance for an impact BUT I think if we were to all call on the same day (after a big win???) wanting to talk about the Rangers, it may start a trend towards more hockey on the radio. Problem is Carton will likely shoot it down, Francesa admittedly knows no hockey. I think our best bet would be with Michael Kay and LaGreca and/or maybe Beningo and Roberts both shows have had some hockey talk from time to time.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Am I the one who feels that saying we get ZERO coverage is a little ridiculous? I mean, look at the NYI and NJD by comparison...

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:51 PM
ogie

The Rangers and hockey in general will always be at the bottom of coverage in this City and you know what.... I do not have a problem with that. So what they don't make the back cover of the paper, or get tons of time devoted to them on sports shows... who cares. It makes it so i don't have to hear every moron in this city's opinion of the Rangers. You think people's *****ing and complaining on this board and others is bad now... imagine if all those football meatheads were on here.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:47 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
The Rangers and hockey in general will always be at the bottom of coverage in this City and you know what.... I do not have a problem with that. So what they don't make the back cover of the paper, or get tons of time devoted to them on sports shows... who cares. It makes it so i don't have to hear every moron in this city's opinion of the Rangers. You think people's *****ing and complaining on this board and others is bad now... imagine if all those football meatheads were on here.
I am generally very thankful for this. The average hockey fan here knows hockey much better than the average football fan knows football. Less stupidity to deal with.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
What pisses me off the most is Boomer and Carton. Booms is a big hockey fans but Carton, how do you get off black labeling one of the four major sports in the NYC area, and one of them is your boss? How are you a sports talk radio guy and refuse to talk about one sport? He won't talk hockey but he has people on that eat hot dog contests? Ok then.

If you guys wanna do it go after Carton, let him know hockey fans don't like the way he talks about or treats our game. You know how bad I wanna call in and tell him, hey smart guy if you don't wanna talk hockey maybe you shouldn't advertise your sports talk show during hockey games. Or does that make too much sense? Cause stats show when u advertise on games, you may actually get fans of that sport to tune into your show. Why would you want hockey fans tuning in to hear their sport made fun of?

I did love that he got boo at the game when on Garden Vision, if we are going to hockey bomb call the Boomer & Carton show I am all down for that. A statement should be made to this clown.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
Coming in to this thread I didn't think there was a chance for an impact BUT I think if we were to all call on the same day (after a big win???) wanting to talk about the Rangers, it may start a trend towards more hockey on the radio. Problem is Carton will likely shoot it down, Francesa admittedly knows no hockey. I think our best bet would be with Michael Kay and LaGreca and/or maybe Beningo and Roberts both shows have had some hockey talk from time to time.
Well I got the idea because I called in to boomer and carton with a question and was told that they are in the middle of a football conversation. So I lol'd and said well when do you guys plan on talking hockey and he said "when football season is over"

Old
12-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Well I got the idea because I called in to boomer and carton with a question and was told that they are in the middle of a football conversation. So I lol'd and said well when do you guys plan on talking hockey and he said "when football season is over"
They talk about plenty of things on there besides Football during Football season. You were denied by Carton. Don't tell them your calling for Hockey, lie and then when u get one give Carton a big LETS GO RANGERS!

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:33 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
What pisses me off the most is Boomer and Carton. Booms is a big hockey fans but Carton, how do you get off black labeling one of the four major sports in the NYC area, and one of them is your boss? How are you a sports talk radio guy and refuse to talk about one sport? He won't talk hockey but he has people on that eat hot dog contests? Ok then.

If you guys wanna do it go after Carton, let him know hockey fans don't like the way he talks about or treats our game. You know how bad I wanna call in and tell him, hey smart guy if you don't wanna talk hockey maybe you shouldn't advertise your sports talk show during hockey games. Or does that make too much sense? Cause stats show when u advertise on games, you may actually get fans of that sport to tune into your show. Why would you want hockey fans tuning in to hear their sport made fun of?

I did love that he got boo at the game when on Garden Vision, if we are going to hockey bomb call the Boomer & Carton show I am all down for that. A statement should be made to this clown.
i dont even watch B&C cos i dont have MSG, but i see the adverts ALL THE TIME when im watching the Rangers on Gamecenter. it even annoys ME and i dont hear this buffons idiocy.

the same thing with ESPN... they need to redo their acronym, cos the "S", which stands for "SPORTS" would generally mean to most people that they cover all sports evenly. as we all know, its not the truth.

go to google and search ESPN. of course yo uwill see "the worldwide leader in sports" and then state that they have comprehensive coverage, but seriously....

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:40 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
We hear this every other day, literally--there's a thread from today already called "when will we be taken seriously." Come on, guys... Somebody please tell me why it is important to them that the Rangers get the back page, more talk on the radio, etc? For me, I love the team and always have, I don't care if other people do/don't.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
brought a smile to my face.

that was funny.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:59 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
We hear this every other day, literally--there's a thread from today already called "when will we be taken seriously." Come on, guys... Somebody please tell me why it is important to them that the Rangers get the back page, more talk on the radio, etc? For me, I love the team and always have, I don't care if other people do/don't.
I don't care what other people think of the sport, you're missing the point. I love hockey and would enjoy listening to discussions on hockey topics. I drive an hour each way to the city every day. I would like them on the radio for the same reasons you enjoy coming to this site.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:01 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
That other thread was about other hockey fans perception of our team. Completely different topic.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:13 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Boomer and Carton is the worst.

Actually, Boomer is pretty good, it's Carton that just makes the show not listenable. He acts like he is the most funny guy and provides absolutely no insight on anything. Occasionally when im driving to class i'll flip them on and it's just Carton babbling about stupid stuff. Boomer at least provides good football analysis.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:19 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
We all know the rangers get no coverage in the media. But what if we collectively bombard shows like boomer & carton with phone calls to show that there is interest in our sport. We made an impact with girardis all star ballot. thoughts?
Get Sirius/XM...Hockey will always be 4th especially with the 2 football teams in the playoff hunt.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:26 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Get Sirius/XM...Hockey will always be 4th especially with the 2 football teams in the playoff hunt.
This...and if you have a choice go Sirius. I prefer HNIC Radio and their other programming to NHL Radio. Some of the stuff from Canadian radio in the mornings on XM is pretty cool though.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:13 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
I don't care what other people think of the sport, you're missing the point. I love hockey and would enjoy listening to discussions on hockey topics. I drive an hour each way to the city every day. I would like them on the radio for the same reasons you enjoy coming to this site.
Why would you want people like Carton and Francessa, who admittedly don't care about the sport, to talk about it? So that when they do you can complain about how little they know about it?

Why do people around here care so much about the lack of media coverage for hockey? It's like everyone is trying to get a seat at the cool kids table in high school. With 5000 cable channels and infinite internet space, there are more than enough ways for us to get our hockey fix.

Get over it folks.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:45 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Why would you want people like Carton and Francessa, who admittedly don't care about the sport, to talk about it? So that when they do you can complain about how little they know about it?

Why do people around here care so much about the lack of media coverage for hockey? It's like everyone is trying to get a seat at the cool kids table in high school. With 5000 cable channels and infinite internet space, there are more than enough ways for us to get our hockey fix.

Get over it folks.
Couldn't agree more. I've said it once and I'll say it again, while lack of mainstream coverage is frustrating, nothing is more annoying than hockey fans complaining about it. Cause like you said, the people who would be covering it they would hate. Woe is me.

The other thing that I think people refuse to acknowledge is that if hockey brought in the ratings and advertisers and eyeballs that the other sports did, the media wouldn't shun it. I know I know, someone will quote this and explain how "everyone they know likes hockey," or "it's better than basketball", or "if they covered it more people would like it," but the bottom line is that these media outlets are trying to make money. If hockey was going to do that for them over something else then they would do it. In most cases it doesn't, and this is where we are.

We all like hockey. We never have to miss a game. They're in HD. We all have internet access. What's the problem really? This isn't 1950.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Couldn't agree more. I've said it once and I'll say it again, while lack of mainstream coverage is frustrating, nothing is more annoying than hockey fans complaining about it. Cause like you said, the people who would be covering it they would hate. Woe is me.

The other thing that I think people refuse to acknowledge is that if hockey brought in the ratings and advertisers and eyeballs that the other sports did, the media wouldn't shun it. I know I know, someone will quote this and explain how "everyone they know likes hockey," or "it's better than basketball", or "if they covered it more people would like it," but the bottom line is that these media outlets are trying to make money. If hockey was going to do that for them over something else then they would do it. In most cases it doesn't, and this is where we are.

We all like hockey. We never have to miss a game. They're in HD. We all have internet access. What's the problem really? This isn't 1950.
Touche my friend...and I'll just add to the 2 finely written posts above mine. I kind of enjoy not having the bandwagon fan around hockey, in Boston they call them the pink hats, spouting nonsense and ignorant blather.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Boomer and carton is a terrible example. 1 boomer is a rangers sth, and carton is just an idiot who refuses for even Mark Messier to talk rangers hockey without forcing him off the line. This is because of cartons hatred for torts, but its not gonna happen. We wont gain any back pages ever, esp if the knicks are in the playoffs. And you no what, I DONT FREEKIN CARE. YOU KNOW WHY? I DONT WANT ANY BANDWAGON FAKE RANGER FANS JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON OF EVERY POSTER HERE AND WHOEVER ELSE. Im a die hard yankee fan and since the invention of social media, i despise going on twitter and facebook around playoff time when all these people come out of the woodwork, I dont want that for the rangers. Its never going to happen, so I just get over it, you wanna read rangers media stuff?...follow gross, brooks and zipay on twitter, read blueshirts united and nhl.com (things we on here probably already know).

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote