HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Boardwalk Empire (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2011, 10:04 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Boardwalk Empire (Part 2)

Last thread was at its limit. Please continue here. Thanks.

12-12-2011, 11:44 PM
RangersAM99

solid show

Old
12-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Hmm. A day later, and I'm still thinking about Jimmy's killing. On one hand, I like shows that take risks and produce compelling, powerful TV by killing off major characters. However, on the flip side, I'm having trouble imaging the series without Jimmy. Steve Buscemi can't carry this series; Michael Pitts was always the center. He had a redemptive arc that will never play out.

Also, icing Angela makes little sense if Darmody's not alive to react to it and struggle with it. At the time, I thought it was powerful and would have significant impact on Jimmy's storyline. But if they planned to wack Jimmy all along, then Angela's murder was there more for shock value than story value.

Eh, I'm a bit torn on the finale. Let's see what next season brings. In the mean time...Game of Thrones!

Old
12-13-2011, 12:05 AM
StrangeVision

Was Jimmy really that important or interesting? He was good in Chicago, but in Atlantic city he was more or less a figurehead for his mom and the commodore and whoever else decided to influence him to make a decision.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:09 AM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
The way the media and blogs have chewed on this crud is typical. It was lazy and poorly executed, the finale had all the bite of a chihuahua but everyone is calling the writers bold and daring. Sigh.

Not all "epic" dramas are make for great TV.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Hmm. A day later, and I'm still thinking about Jimmy's killing. On one hand, I like shows that take risks and produce compelling, powerful TV by killing off major characters. However, on the flip side, I'm having trouble imaging the series without Jimmy. Steve Buscemi can't carry this series; Michael Pitts was always the center. He had a redemptive arc that will never play out.

Also, icing Angela makes little sense if Darmody's not alive to react to it and struggle with it. At the time, I thought it was powerful and would have significant impact on Jimmy's storyline. But if they planned to wack Jimmy all along, then Angela's murder was there more for shock value than story value.

Eh, I'm a bit torn on the finale. Let's see what next season brings. In the mean time...Game of Thrones!
Angela's murder is important. Now it's Me-ma and little Tommy together. I don't know how she'll figure in to the story but, in a Game of Thrones way, since Tommy is too young to be the "ruler" of Atlantic City in the Commodore's place, Jimmy's mother will probably fill that role next season.

Meanwhile, Nucky is back on top but his private life is going to be a mess. We'll see how that impacts him, he can't have his cake and eat it too it seems.

Also, Van-Alden eloping with the kid and the Swedish Nanny, he's obviously not done yet since he shot a federal agent. Add in his proximity to Al Capone and it looks like he might be corrupted into some shady dealings as he was about to in Atlantic City.

I think the drama will be a lot more personal and political next year as no main character is absurdly violent. Though I think we'll see a lot more of Capone (raised to main character status probably) to fill that void in Chicago.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:55 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The only thing I have to say with the Jimmy thing is that I love the finale. If they would have went the soft route and killed off a guy like Horowitz it wouldn't have been quite a strong ending. They really did a great job in this last episode.

Yeah, Jimmy was a great character, perhaps the most compelling on the show, but I have faith that they are going to introduce more interesting characters to the fold (and expand on other existing characters) that will still make the show strong.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:02 AM
SilasAdams

I'm sure Al Capone, Luciano, Lansky, Rothstein, and Chalky will have bigger parts, and also Harrow and Gillian will be interesting to watch next season. Great Finale imo

Old
12-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Transplanted Caper

Jimmy was a tremendous character, but to stay true to the show, it's difficult to envision a scenario where he be allowed to live.

He'd be a continual threat to Nucky given how impulsive he is. While it's hardly his fault, Jimmy was a psychopath who was haunted by countless demons, and really, had nothing to lose.

As far as killing off Angela, as intriguing a character as she was, much of that intrigue had to do with her relationship with Jimmy. Without Jimmy, she'd theoretically be able to break free from the loneliness, but on the flip side, the loneliness with Jimmy, compared to the freedom when she was away from him is what made her great. i don't think the character works if it's just one or the other.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
The way the media and blogs have chewed on this crud is typical. It was lazy and poorly executed, the finale had all the bite of a chihuahua but everyone is calling the writers bold and daring. Sigh.

Not all "epic" dramas are make for great TV.
It would've been lazy to have Jimmy kill Manny and have everything wrap up nicely. Now we'll have Nucky dealing with his guilt, at some point he'll find out Eli lied to him, and he'll have to deal with Gillian's schemes, and Richard as well.

The only other way they could've gone was to have Jimmy go all the way and have Nucky thrown in jail for the rest of his life.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:06 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
It would've been lazy to have Jimmy kill Manny and have everything wrap up nicely. Now we'll have Nucky dealing with his guilt, at some point he'll find out Eli lied to him, and he'll have to deal with Gillian's schemes, and Richard as well.

The only other way they could've gone was to have Jimmy go all the way and have Nucky thrown in jail for the rest of his life.
I agree with you, I don't get what was lazy and poorly executed about it. Unless he means the fact the execution took more than one shot

Old
12-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Transplanted Caper

I'm of the view that Nucky knows Eli lied to him, and was in on the murder attempt, but that Eli could be used as a pawn, and Jimmy couldn't be.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Why did Halloran confess to the Schroeder murder, with which he was involved, instead of turning in Eli for murdering that dude with the wrench, which Eli did by himself and Halloran just helped bury the body?

Old
12-13-2011, 03:04 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 326
Wasnt terribly shocked to see Jimmy go but doesnt mean I liked it. I really liked Jimmy's character an interesting combination of ruthless pyschopath and broken and sympathetic. He and Richard Harrow exemplify this better then anyone on the show. Everyone has been rooting for Nucky Thompson but not sure how the audience reacts to him now after he put 2 holes in Jimmy. A few things I would love for season 3.

1. More freakin Arnold Rothstein. Dudes a boss and as smart if not smarter then Nucky Thompson.

2. First 5 minutes of season 3 should be a scene where Harrow slowly and painfully kills Margaret Shroeder. I despise her almost as much as Janice and AJ Soprano.

3. More scenes in Chicago and New York. More Capone and Luciano.

4. More Chalky White killing KKK members

5. A cat and mouse sniper game between Harrow and the Irish dude(Cannever remember his name)

Old
12-13-2011, 06:57 PM
we want cup

My best friend's dad is a producer for the show (name in the opening credits and everything). From what he's heard, Harrow is going to have a more significant role next season (or at least that's the plan).

Old
12-13-2011, 07:09 PM
The Man in White

vCash: 250
I think the first 5 minutes of season 3 will be Harrow killing Manny.

Old
12-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
2. First 5 minutes of season 3 should be a scene where Harrow slowly and painfully kills Margaret Shroeder. I despise her almost as much as Janice and AJ Soprano.
Skyler from Breaking Bad.

Old
12-13-2011, 08:47 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingintheNorth View Post
I'm sure Al Capone, Luciano, Lansky, Rothstein, and Chalky will have bigger parts, and also Harrow and Gillian will be interesting to watch next season. Great Finale imo
The thing is, what made Luciano, Lansky, Capone, Gillian, and Harrow interesting was their relationship with Jimmy and how he dealt with them. Now that Jimmy's gone, those characters just don't seem interesting or intriguing to me anymore. That's the biggest problem I have. What made those characters interesting was their relationship with Jimmy, and now that Jimmy's gone, I'm thoroughly uninterested about them. Hopefully the producers can make me interested again.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:59 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 533
now that the dust has settled

a few things are now obvious

1) People using Michael Pitt getting dropped by his agency as why he was killed off the show. He got dropped by his agency after being told that his character was being killed off the show and when his agency wanted him to push harder for roles and he declined(Pitt is reportedly a nice guy--bit since Dawson creek FORCED him to do interviews and why he was dropped from the show--he has been known not to like to talk to the media). Pitt likes music over acting

2) Most of the negative reports come from Tvline and deadline.com---both sites were created due to problems behind the scenes of Entertainment Weekly(and ew.com) and they are not known for getting in depth stories correctly

3) Decision was made prior to the start of the second season to Focus on Lucky more in the future--that meant that Jimmy and co had to go.

I am sure more info will come out in the future

12-14-2011, 11:23 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Skyler from Breaking Bad.
I have a confession. I havent seen a single episode of Breaking Bad. yeah yeah I know. Im just now getting caught up with Sons of Anarchy currently in the middle of Season 2. I vow to jump into BB as soon as im caught up with Anarchy since everyone is telling me BB is the greatest show since The Wire.

Old
12-14-2011, 12:29 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
I have a confession. I havent seen a single episode of Breaking Bad. yeah yeah I know. Im just now getting caught up with Sons of Anarchy currently in the middle of Season 2. I vow to jump into BB as soon as im caught up with Anarchy since everyone is telling me BB is the greatest show since The Wire.
I really enjoy watching Sons of Anarchy but it's not anywhere near as high of quality show as Breaking Bad is. SOA is very fun to watch though.

Old
12-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
I jumped into Breaking Bad(and The Wire for that matter) after all the hype and it still lived up to it.

I read somewhere that the person who wrote the original story about Micheal Pitt being difficult is very close to the agency who dropped him, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Old
12-14-2011, 05:13 PM
SilasAdams

Breaking Bad is great, but i think it is slightly overrated, it's really not close to the Wire imo.

Old
12-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingintheNorth View Post
Breaking Bad is great, but i think it is slightly overrated, it's really not close to the Wire imo.
Depends how you look at it. If I were rating my favourite series ever, Breaking Bad would be on top, but if I were rating them by how real they feel, and authenticity, I'd probably put The Wire at the top. It also has objectively great acting and writing, how much someone enjoys it is up to them.

Another show is Mad Men, If someone who plays Call of Duty 24/7 and loves The Walking Dead asked for a recommendation, I'd have a hard time suggesting Mad Men to them.

Old
12-14-2011, 05:59 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Depends how you look at it. If I were rating my favourite series ever, Breaking Bad would be on top, but if I were rating them by how real they feel, and authenticity, I'd probably put The Wire at the top. It also has objectively great acting and writing, how much someone enjoys it is up to them.

Another show is Mad Men, If someone who plays Call of Duty 24/7 and loves The Walking Dead asked for a recommendation, I'd have a hard time suggesting Mad Men to them.
This made me laugh out loud for some reason.

Closed Thread