HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Boardwalk Empire (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2013, 11:53 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Just like in chess, you can't kill the king immediatly, you need to set up things. And this episode was good. Because it's not only about killing but thinking business and strategy.

Old
09-24-2013, 01:11 AM
KingLB

That episode was definitely slow. I just think its a little Nucky/Bushemi just aren't enough to carry a show. TBH I would watch a spin-off just based around the NY guys right now. Rothstein has the same sort of character and delivery style, but is so much more charismatic imo. Add in Luciano/Lansky/etc and wow I wish the show was based there instead.

Old
09-24-2013, 05:10 AM
invictus

I think I will wait and watch all of the episodes at the end of the season. I think I'd get more bang for my viewing buck that way.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Gerald View Post
This show is really relentless in the "give an already boring character a boring love interest" department.

I'd hoped when Ron Livingston showed up he'd be into some gangster ****, not managing ******* Piggly Wiggly and chewing up time being boring with Gillian...and now Patricia Arquette, to whom the years have not been kind. Not to mention Eli's stupid kid and his wiener friends.

Has it even been renewed for a fifth season?
Ya that episode seemed like filler. I don't give a rats ass about Eli's son and my hate for Gillian is already well known.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:29 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 622
Gillian is just a terrible character and should have disappeared with Jimmy. His wife was more interesting.

Old
09-26-2013, 03:18 PM
17futurecap

Renewed for season 5.

Quote:
HBO has renewed "Boardwalk Empire" for a fifth season.

“Thanks to Terry Winter, Martin Scorsese, Tim Van Patten, Howard Korder and their stellar team, 'Boardwalk Empire' remains in a class by itself,” HBO president Michael Lombardo said in a statement. “I look forward to another electrifying season of this impeccably crafted series.”
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...0rhvdF64Ex1.99

Old
09-29-2013, 10:22 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
No one talks about this show anymore? This thread doesn't have near the buzz that season 3 had.

I thought tonight's was a great episode. A lot of funny moments with Mueller and the Capone's.

I called it earlier, and it's looking more and more like Chalky could be going down this season.

Old
09-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Rhett4
Where my coach at?

I haven't liked this season...at all. It seems to be turning into Game of Thrones with guns. There are too many disparate stories and character arcs. At least with Game of Thrones, it's because it's a massive book series. With Boardwalk, there's no excuse for these five minute snippets of Gillian every other episode and other unrelated crap. The only side arc I find mildly entertaining is the one with Eli's son, only because it reminds me of what they did with Jackie, Jr. in Sopranos. I can't imagine it ends too well for the kid.

Old
09-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I really do not ****in care about Eli's son. Such a filler storyline.

Old
09-29-2013, 11:21 PM
GetThePuckOut

I don't like his scenes at college, but I enjoy the scenes between him and Eli. This season seems to be a lot more relationship driven.

This season has introduced a lot more characters. I really like the Capone brothers, they're scene-stealers. I don't really care much for Office Space and Gillian though.

What this season does need is more Meyer-Lucky-Bugsy.

Old
09-30-2013, 09:35 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Eichel welcome 2 BUF

I think the poker scene was a little unrealistic. Rothstein asking for a $200,000 marker (which is $2,655,574.70 in today's dollars ) to go all in with just a straight and not even the nuts was lunacy, especially with a flush draw out there that Nucky indeed had.

I loved when that Henry ******* **** himself to death but I think Eli's sons revenge was a little over the top, all Henry did was bust in on him getting it on with a girl , he didn't physically beat him up or anything.

I really hope Eddie makes it thru the next episode, if they kill him off after all he went thru in last seasons finale ill be pissed.

Last edited by La Cosa Nostra: 09-30-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old
09-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I really hope Eddie makes it thru the next episode, if they kill him off after all he went thru in last seasons finale ill be pissed.
This I love Eddie. Hope he survives.

Old
09-30-2013, 12:00 PM
SilasAdams

-Happy about all the Chicago in this episode. Loved seeing Eddie and Van Alden each with their respective Capone family member(s). I've enjoyed Frankie Capone all season, Guy is smooth as hell on a show full of guys who are. "Bottles" Capone (Herc from The Wire) and Eddies dinner scene was awesome, Loved getting some backstory on Eddie. Al with his Tommy Gun was classic and him doing coke in the car with Van Alden was a highlight of the episode for me. Stephen Graham is by far my favorite on screen Capone
-Purnsley turning his coat so quick was expected and could lead to some interesting things, I like the actors chemistry with Chalky better than Narcisse. But I'm enjoying that whole story line a lot*
-Rothstein and Nucky playing poker was another great scene, The actor who plays Meyer has been really good throughout the series. But tonight he had his best performance imo and his greatest line "Allow me to introduce myself"
-Once again the Willie scenes were the worst part of the episode to me, Wow I didn't need to see a kid **** himself to death. I wonder if Willie will end up being"the weakest link in Thompsons chain" Cause Eddie definitely isn't gonna rat out Nucky.*
Season 4 has been really good imo, Enjoyed every ep.

Old
09-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

I liked seeing the vicious and violent side of the normally restrained Lansky come out at the end. He'd been portrayed as a compromising schemer who leans more towards business than violence up to that point, when he really is just as much a violent psychopath as the other gangsters on the show.

Oh, and the greater attention paid towards Eddie is fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I haven't liked this season...at all. It seems to be turning into Game of Thrones with guns. There are too many disparate stories and character arcs. At least with Game of Thrones, it's because it's a massive book series. With Boardwalk, there's no excuse for these five minute snippets of Gillian every other episode and other unrelated crap. The only side arc I find mildly entertaining is the one with Eli's son, only because it reminds me of what they did with Jackie, Jr. in Sopranos. I can't imagine it ends too well for the kid.
Boardwalk has to be that way because the supporting characters are the strength of the show, Nucky isn't a terrible lead character, but he isn't all that interesting either. Many of the supporting characters on the other hand, both the real and the fictional, are absolutely brilliantly written and acted.

Gillian and Office Space does seem like filler right now, but I have enough faith in the writers to believe that it will eventually lead up to something more substantial.

Old
09-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
I don't like his scenes at college, but I enjoy the scenes between him and Eli. This season seems to be a lot more relationship driven.

This season has introduced a lot more characters. I really like the Capone brothers, they're scene-stealers. I don't really care much for Office Space and Gillian though.

What this season does need is more Meyer-Lucky-Bugsy.
Bugsy probably won't be around until a later season as he wasn't that active until a little later in the decade.

Better episode than last week. Will's college issues might lead to something bigger, I can see his alcohol smuggling becoming public in some way. Although I'm sure Eddie isn't the talking kind, they might threaten him with deportation or something.

Old
09-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
I loved when that Henry ******* **** himself to death but I think Eli's sons revenge was a little over the top, all Henry did was bust in on him getting it on with a girl , he didn't physically beat him up or anything.
It wasn't intended to kill him. When they stole the chemistry supplies they talked about making milk of magnesia, which is a laxative. Evidently they mixed it badly and it ended up as something a "bit" more powerful.

Old
09-30-2013, 04:13 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
I think the poker scene was a little unrealistic. Rothstein asking for a $200,000 marker (which is $2,655,574.70 in today's dollars ) to go all in with just a straight and not even the nuts was lunacy, especially with a flush draw out there that Nucky indeed had.

It's not Texas Hold Em; there's no community cards. In 5 card you can't see what the other person is drawing to, unless you read them well enough. Nucky could have had a royal flush and they'd have no idea.

I liked that scene though, because it shows a human side to Rothstein. He's been seemingly infallible up until that scene, but it shows that even he has his weaknesses. It also foreshadows his demise, which happens as a result of his compulsive gambling (so they say).

Old
09-30-2013, 04:29 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Bugsy probably won't be around until a later season as he wasn't that active until a little later in the decade.

Better episode than last week. Will's college issues might lead to something bigger, I can see his alcohol smuggling becoming public in some way. Although I'm sure Eddie isn't the talking kind, they might threaten him with deportation or something.
Yeah but Bugsy was taking off last season; trying to take out Gyp, selling heroin to Masseria's guys... It looked like he was becoming more of a player in the show.

One thing that's interesting that the show missed, is in real life Bugsy and Capone were close friends, going back to when Capone lived in New York. Maybe the show can still explore that in the future. There's a lot missing from that group (where's Frank Costello?), but I guess the show is about Nucky, and too much attention on Lucky and Meyer would distract from that.

Old
09-30-2013, 05:03 PM
The Kingslayer

Im looking forward to this O'Banion and Capone war. Good episode. Like others have said I can do away with the Willie storyline. I could care less about Eli's kid. Needs more Luciano. Anyone know what meyers was saying when he was beating that guy?

Old
09-30-2013, 06:51 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

The poker scene could have been really cool but instead it was short. Mean while some useless scene of singing in a German bar took forever.

Then the thing with Eli's son was so predictable. The only thing that saved it was Capone being Capone.

Old
09-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
The poker scene could have been really cool but instead it was short. Mean while some useless scene of singing in a German bar took forever.

Then the thing with Eli's son was so predictable. The only thing that saved it was Capone being Capone.
I disagree with literally everything you just said.

Old
10-01-2013, 03:06 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post

Honestly, most of the episode was predictable.

Old
10-01-2013, 04:26 AM
Honour Over Glory

This is one of those shows where I never say "Wow that was a useless episode." If you pay attention to this show, you know it all leads to something, it slowly unfolds and I love sitting down and watching a show that isn't super fast paced and it told this way. Some people want to like this show and like characters and certain aspects of it, but they're forcing themselves to. You either do or you don't. You can't half like this show...hah.

I don't mind the kid's story arc, maybe he has a bigger role that is soon to come, I think the interactions with Nucky were also key in this and how he grows as a character. Nucky did say the bad habits he picked up were in school, kid is picking up some bad ones himself, already killed a kid.

Old
10-01-2013, 09:26 AM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
. You can't half like this show
You can't half like this show, Nuck. Not anymore.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:21 PM
glasgow26

I thought this week's episode was terrific. Love seeing Capone and his crew doing their thing, and it's hilarious seeing how awkward/uncomfortable Van Alden is around them. Michael Shannon is doing a great job with that character.

I thought Lansky was awesome in this episode, too. Loved the story of how he and Lucky Luciano became friends. Cool seeing him beat the crap out of that guy near the end.

I'll agree that the Willie storyline is boring and takes up too much screen time. But it'll probably end up having some repercussions later in the season, so I'm fine with putting up with it for now and seeing where it goes.

Really enjoyed the scenes with Bottles and Eddie. Good chemistry between those two, and it was pretty hilarious seeing Eddie out partying.

I think one of the best parts of this episode was that Gillian wasn't in it. God I hate her character, and her storyline feels like pure filler.

Looking forward to next week!

Closed Thread