HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres preaching patience

Old
12-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Sabres preaching patience

Quote:
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP)—A rash of injuries has made it difficult for Buffalo Sabres management to assess what to make out of—and whether to shake up—a high-priced team off to an inconsistent start.

Rather than overreact, Sabres president Ted Black is asking fans to be patient and the fates to be kinder when it comes to their banged-up lineup.

“The assessment of the team is we’re not where we want to be in terms of our record, because we think there are a couple of games that got away from us,” Black told The Associated Press by phone Thursday. “This is no time to abandon hope.”
Quote:
Black said the Sabres aren’t “done yet” in attempting to improve the team after an offseason in which Buffalo added three high-priced free agents and re-signed both defenseman Tyler Myers and forward Drew Stafford to lucrative contracts.

Black, however, cautioned that no moves are imminent, and first-year owner Terry Pegula is maintaining an even keel.

“Terry does move quickly and decisively, but he does also balance that with patience and a strong aversion to panicking,” Black said. “Even though we’ve lost so many games, and injuries have hit us so early in this season, there just hasn’t been enough time for a fully healthy team to be on the ice to overreact.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...resstaypatient

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:04 AM
omglolnub

Gee, we haven't heard this before in previous years, right? I wasn't born yesterday, Teddy.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

I'm a patient boy.

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Is 41 years patience? Or the last 15 years patience?

JPurp26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
I agree with him. This is a 3 year process, people!

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
3 year process but the same problems and tendencies they shown last year are evident again this season. I give them the benefit of the doubt due to the injuries, however the veterans haven't exactly played with any passion which has been illuminated by the hunger displayed by the rookies.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Disenfranchised*

Quote:
Right.. Except most of the players on the team are signed to long term deals so unless I am missing something this team can either trade these guys or keep them and lose. The first two guys I trade are Roy and Stafford but that's just me.

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:58 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
I'm a patient boy.

???????

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:22 AM
static80

Quote:
I do happen to agree with you in that this is a process. It remains to be seen if 3 years is the appropriate time frame, we won't know until the entire parameter is played out in that schedule and success is acheived.

And there is the extent of my agreement. Many fans can use common sense and see that the main problem with the team, or it's number one ill if you will, has not been addressed. The center depth situation.

Combine that with the organizations decision to attempt to address the defense first and its subsequent outcome through the better side of a quarter of a season and even the most novist of fans begin to get a feeling of being let down yet again.

It's the Buffalo sports fan mind set, and, rightfully so to be honest. Neither professional team has succeed. The fans merely see the same results recently as they have throughout the teams history, that of failure.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:50 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Okay well how does he explain the 20 minute efforts? Did they forget to install a coffee machine in that multi-million dollar players lounge because it looks like their problems are more cerebral than physical.

Is too much being asked of Ehrhoff? Boo-hoo suck it up kid you're making 15 million dollars this season. 30 minutes should seem like a walk in the park. Block a few shots to take your mind off of how hard life on the ice is.

We've had a 20+ game sample of Leino and he's gone from abysmal to tolerable. He does a lot of little things without the puck in the o-zone really well. But, I'm guessing that just like the fans, mgmt was expecting a little more.

The call ups aren't the problem, they are the solution. These inexperienced kids look great out there, they don't make as many mistakes as the veterans do. Guys like Hecht and Gerbe are turning it over just inside or outside their own blue line. Meanwhile you got a kid like Adam picking the pocket of 6 year veterans and creating chances.

The team is relatively healthy, the only crippling loses right now are too Myers and Leopold. Leopold has been a rock all season and Myers was entering domination mode before he got hurt. In their place you got Finley and McNabb, so yeah that's a serious drop off in skill and experience but I don't think those guys are killing the team at all. Mainstays like Gragnani, Sekera, and Ehrhoff are doing far more damage these days than those 2 rookies. I don't get how Sekera can play lights out for 16 games and then just appear to lose confidence for no reason at all.

I'll be patient but the plan hasn't been revealed to us yet, so I'm not really sure what we are supposed to be waiting for exactly. Trades? More call ups? Because as for right here and now, this team should be good enough to win more than 1 of their past 9 games on home ice. No time for excuses if you ask me, they just need to keep their poop together for the full game, and stop making stupid plays.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 03:47 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
This isn't going to go over well.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 04:10 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
This isn't going to go over well.
Eh. Anyone who expected ownership/upper management to make a move two-and-change months into the season was kidding themselves. I'm certainly erring on the side of "this is more of the same, let's clean house immediately," but I completely understand why the people in the positions to make changes aren't. If the deadline comes and goes, and the team is still the same, playing the same way, being coached the same way and being managed the same way, I'll be pissed, but until then, I'll cut Pegula and Black some slack and believe in their ability to improve this team.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:49 AM
Squantosawuss

The injuries and flood of rookies may hurt in one way, but there HAS been a silver lining:

What rookies lack in experience, they often make up for with adrenalin. I have not been totally surprised to see some of these rooks man up and play like driven pros----it's adrenalin. Don't doubt the significance of that. That's what causes guys like Steve Bernier to get TWO goals in his first game as a Sabre....and then only one more for the remainder of his time on the team. That adrenalin rush immediately translated into business to: I remember seeing a number of "56" jerseys not long after that..lol.

This is why I don't see this parade of rookies as being as much of a liability as some make it out to be. You have to balance their lack of experience with their incredible enthusiasm. Give'em a big league contract...and they start getting reeeal comfy. And don't stare at the ice when I'm talking to you!

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:30 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Patience is a virtue, unless your Gragnani and blindly hurry a pass across the middle of ice.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:39 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
I don't know about you guys, but I really wish we had an owner that would overreact a third of the way into the season by blowing up everything.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Clock

I can't believe some of you are already piling on. Really?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I can't believe some of you are already piling on. Really?
Pitchfork time, woohoo!

On the other hand, I'm currently busy being amazed at the mess NBA has become under Stern to put too much thought into this.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:16 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
On the other hand, I'm currently busy being amazed at the mess NBA has become under Stern to put too much thought into this.
That sport, that league...it's all ridiculous.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:22 AM
HiddenInLight

A bit of reinforcements coming this weekend hopefully this will give the team a boost.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
aceface33

I think a bit of the disconnect here stems from the fact that for Pegula/Black, Regier Ruff and the players are new to them. They want to be patient and see how the current mix works out. However for the fans it seems like more of the same from the past 5 years. Fans HAVE been patient with the Sabres but after 2 years missing the playoffs, 2 years of first round exits, and what seems like more of the same this year, there's only so far that patience can go. Pegula and Black seem to think they've done enough to reverse their fortunes this year but it would be nice to see some evidence of that.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

Pull back on the overreaction a little bit people. We've been waiting 41 years, but Pegs and Ted have only had 10 months. Let's issue a little breathing room before we order in the witch hunt.

Right about this time last year is when we pulled a 180 and became a rock in the league, and we're in a better position for that this year. I understand the pessimistic nature of people to assume the worst, because I do that all the time. However, no team is going to cruise its way to the Cup. We're going to have some trials and some drama, and its how we react that'll dictate whether or not we're playing in June.

Pegs will make the right calls too. If you don't trust this man after over 100 million dollars has been spent for this team in 10 months, then I don't know what to tell you.

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I agree with some of your post, but a few bits have me scratching my head....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Okay well how does he explain the 20 minute efforts? Did they forget to install a coffee machine in that multi-million dollar players lounge because it looks like their problems are more cerebral than physical.

Is too much being asked of Ehrhoff? Boo-hoo suck it up kid you're making 15 million dollars this season. 30 minutes should seem like a walk in the park. Block a few shots to take your mind off of how hard life on the ice is.

We've had a 20+ game sample of Leino and he's gone from abysmal to tolerable. He does a lot of little things without the puck in the o-zone really well. But, I'm guessing that just like the fans, mgmt was expecting a little more.

The call ups aren't the problem, they are the solution. These inexperienced kids look great out there, they don't make as many mistakes as the veterans do. Guys like Hecht and Gerbe are turning it over just inside or outside their own blue line. Meanwhile you got a kid like Adam picking the pocket of 6 year veterans and creating chances.
When did Hecht do this? And Adam having a good week after a crappy month doesn't point at some level of great play. He's on the wing now and producing again -- but he's had his own struggles in there.

Quote:
The team is relatively healthy,
Whoa. Whoawhoawhoa. Relatively healthy? #1 and #3 defensemen (pre-injury) are out? Three of their top PKers for chunks of the season in Hecht, Gaustad, and Kaleta? Two guys off their top PP (Myers, Boyes)? The entire checking line from the start of the year? 1/10th of the season without Miller? They're still relatively mangled.

Quote:
the only crippling loses right now are too Myers and Leopold. Leopold has been a rock all season and Myers was entering domination mode before he got hurt. In their place you got Finley and McNabb, so yeah that's a serious drop off in skill and experience but I don't think those guys are killing the team at all.

Which forces Ruff to lean on Ehrhoff for nearly 30-minutes a night and Gragnani for nearly 23-minutes a night. For their shortcomings, that's where fatigue and overextension are going to lead to turnovers. When they were handling third pairing and more specialized minutes, they were still handing it over enough to be troublesome. Now? It's not JUST losing two of their top four, it's the following issue with Weber and then Brennan (and Schiestel and Persson) that has McNabb and Finley in the lineup. Each injury adds onto the next. McNabb is in over his head against the Wings and plays poorly against the Flyers because there are six guys out of the lineup (or recovering like Schiestel) likely to be ahead of him in the recall line. Five. That's crazy. Finley's six.

Quote:
Mainstays like Gragnani, Sekera, and Ehrhoff are doing far more damage these days than those 2 rookies. I don't get how Sekera can play lights out for 16 games and then just appear to lose confidence for no reason at all.
Sekera hasn't been part of the problem. Ehrhoff and Gragnani jumping 7-10 minutes a night amplifies their shortcomings. They aren't a top-line pair but are eating minutes because of all the injuries. Mistakes were there before they got that job.

Quote:
I'll be patient but the plan hasn't been revealed to us yet, so I'm not really sure what we are supposed to be waiting for exactly. Trades? More call ups? Because as for right here and now, this team should be good enough to win more than 1 of their past 9 games on home ice. No time for excuses if you ask me, they just need to keep their poop together for the full game, and stop making stupid plays.
If they can get healthy again, some personnel change is inevitable. The product is clearly unfinished.

12-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Katana

Ted Black strikes me as the kind of guy who is a good poker player. The worst thing a team executive can do is say something that tells the other teams that they are desperate to make a roster move.

He's also wise enough not to undercut Ruff while he is still coach.

Something tells me that when the time comes -- BOOM -- Pegula and Black will make big moves that no one will see coming.

Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:45 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
Ted Black strikes me as the kind of guy who is a good poker player. The worst thing a team executive can do is say something that tells the other teams that they are desperate to make a roster move.

He's also wise enough not to undercut Ruff while he is still coach.

Something tells me that when the time comes -- BOOM -- Pegula and Black will make big moves that no one will see coming.
I was going to hold off on bringing this up, but be prepared for GM IoaPS//BGM in the springtime.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:13 PM
slip

If we weren't well into our fifth straight year of mediocrity, I would agree with Mr. Black's plea for patience.

And if there is impatience among the fans, I would venture to guess 99.44% of it is directed at Regier and the product he's assembled, not the generous owner who is clearly beyond fanatical and willing to do whatever it takes to ice a champion.

edit: misread quote.

Last edited by slip: 12-09-2011 at 03:24 PM.
slip is online now   Reply With Quote