HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stone making his case for WJC team

Old
12-13-2011, 12:04 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Stone making his case for WJC team

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip584759#clip584759

Playing well

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:09 AM
starling

vCash: 500
So he won both the game and the shootout for Red lol.

starling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

Goal, Shootout goal (nice one too), and good scoring chance 2-1. Showing hands, net drive, good speed (surprise). Yea I'd say he will be on the team.

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Sensation

He's been a lock for the team coming into camp, imo.

Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:37 AM
TSA0402

I was under the impression he was pretty close to a lock as well. He is absolutely tearing it up.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:20 AM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

vCash: 125
Is it too much to expect top line minutes and playing in offensively clutch scenarios?

I wish Johansen was still there and Huberdeau was healthy. That line was danger in the early camps.

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerFutureSniper View Post
Goal, Shootout goal (nice one too), and good scoring chance 2-1. Showing hands, net drive, good speed (surprise). Yea I'd say he will be on the team.
People hear his skating is bad and they just repeat it, but in most cases haven't ever seen Stone play.

His skating has improved immensely, and watching him in these Team Canada scrimmages, his skating doesn't stand out as a negative at all. This comparison is being made against the top junior kids in the country.

If he keeps working to improve as he has so far, he might just be one of the biggest surprises at next year's training camp.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Afro Thunder*

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being the best player for Canada this tournament.

He has all of the tools and his skating actually looks good, look at the highlights for the game, the 1st one he had no problem getting to the net in time and showed some great outside speed on of his shots.

I see a top 6 out of this guy.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being the best player for Canada this tournament.

He has all of the tools and his skating actually looks good, look at the highlights for the game, the 1st one he had no problem getting to the net in time and showed some great outside speed on of his shots.

I see a top 6 out of this guy.
you this jc gonna be his coming out party

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Minister of Offence

McKenzie put him slotted into his 1st line before Connolly and Smith-Pelly came back.

Bob put him there because he heard he's a lock.

And Bob said last night he's pretty Stone came into camp a lock.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
People hear his skating is bad and they just repeat it, but in most cases haven't ever seen Stone play.

His skating has improved immensely, and watching him in these Team Canada scrimmages, his skating doesn't stand out as a negative at all. This comparison is being made against the top junior kids in the country.

If he keeps working to improve as he has so far, he might just be one of the biggest surprises at next year's training camp.
Have seen so much of this from the common half-glass-full posters on this board. The guys that feel that the farther away from homerism you get the more right it makes them feel.

Even when Stone played his pre-season game...his skating didn't seem to hurt him.

Wanna see a kid who's skating could hold him out the NHL? Tyler Toffoli.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Xspyrit

I have a great feeling about this kid, and it started last year. The way he broke out was insane and he seems to have the drive and determination to become the best he can be. He has that "star in the making aura" that only a few guys have.

I have no idea how good he can become at the NHL level but IMO, Jamie Benn could be a good comparison. Look at Benn's old HF scouting report :

Quote:
Talent Analysis

Benn is a pure sniper with both good shooting and deking abilities in close. He has an uncanny knack for finding loose pucks, finding the space to make himself available for a pass and being in the right spot to bury rebounds. But his skating is average at best. How he will adjust to less time and space in the pros is an open question.

At 6’2, 185 lbs he doesn’t use his size particularly well and he’s not an overly physical force. He is extremely effective when he has the time to set up and shoot or on odd-man rushes. His defensive play will need improvement.

Future

Potential: Top-six goal-scoring winger, style comparing to Wojtek Wolski.
Difference is that Stone has much more impressive stats in the WHL after being drafted...

IMO, our next 4 prospects to graduate are Silfverberg, Zibanejad (locks), Borowiecki and Stone. It remains to be seen about Petersson, Hoffman and Grant, they all have a future as hockey players but making the Sens is going to become very hard. After that, there's still Da Costa, O'Brien, Gryba, Noesen, Puempel, Prince, Pageau... the competition is going to be intense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Have seen so much of this from the common half-glass-full posters on this board. The guys that feel that the farther away from homerism you get the more right it makes them feel.

Even when Stone played his pre-season game...his skating didn't seem to hurt him.

I know what you're talking about... hehe, let's call them "the scared homers". They'd like to be homers, but they don't want to "look bad", after all the internet is serious business

Last edited by Xspyrit: 12-13-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

Yes TT looks like he is really labouring to keep up. Really too bad.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I have a great feeling about this kid, and it started last year. The way he broke out was insane and he seems to have the drive and determination to become the best he can be. He has that "star in the making aura" that only a few guys have (Erik Karlsson had it).

I have no idea how good he can become at the NHL level but IMO, Jamie Benn could be a good comparison. Look at Benn's old HF scouting report :

Difference is that Stone has much more impressive stats in the WHL after being drafted...
I've always liked the Ryane Clowe comparison.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:20 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
Watching that video, how was that boarding? He finished his check NON AGGRESSIVELY on a guy facing him standing against the boards with the puck...is that not a perfect hockey hit?

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Watching that video, how was that boarding? He finished his check NON AGGRESSIVELY on a guy facing him standing against the boards with the puck...is that not a perfect hockey hit?
I've been arguing relentlessly in Connolly's favour.

People just don't like Connolly, and Howden could be the captain. Had he passed on that hit people would be arguing he should be cut. People just want to see Connolly cut.

The players said it was late, so maybe that was the case, but the call was boarding, never seen a boarding call like that. Boarding's usually just a softer call for hitting from behind.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:27 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
I've been arguing relentlessly in Connolly's favour.

People just don't like Connolly, and Howden could be the captain. Had he passed on that hit people would be arguing he should be cut. People just want to see Connolly cut.

The players said it was late, so maybe that was the case, but the call was boarding, never seen a boarding call like that. Boarding's usually just a softer call for hitting from behind.
Late hit eh? I guess the angle we have isn't the best but it looks like the puck is in his feet... If you have the puck, and lose it in your feet, your allowed to get hit...you should look up to defend yourself before perusing the puck again...or else this happens:

Old
12-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Minister of Offence

I agree, I thought it was in his feet...even Howden looked down. If it wasn't in his feet at contact, which it seems obvious now that it was a little further down the board because another player played it right after the hit. But even then, it looked like it was in his feet a second before.

Players said the whistle was blown, I dunno.

If anyone wants to see an overboard hit at a WJC camp, go youtube Colten Teubert....Caron suffered a broken collarbone and players laughed it off.

People just don't like Brett Connolly. He's a polarizing personality on the camera.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:33 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
I agree, I thought it was in his feet...even Howden looked down. If it wasn't in his feet at contact, which it seems obvious now that it was a little further down the board because another player played it right after the hit. But even then, it looked like it was in his feet a second before.

Players said the whistle was blown, I dunno.

If anyone wants to see an overboard hit at a WJC camp, go youtube Colten Teubert....Caron suffered a broken collarbone and players laughed it off.

People just don't like Brett Connolly. He's a polarizing personality on the camera.
Makes sense, lol thanks for the tidbits!

Old
12-13-2011, 10:34 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

I didn't like the hit, but it's mostly because I don't like Connolly, going back to the draft. Realistically it kinda seemed like Foligno-Hodgson, unfortunate situation, but anything that draws him criticism is cool with me.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
I didn't like the hit, but it's mostly because I don't like Connolly, going back to the draft. Realistically it kinda seemed like Foligno-Hodgson, unfortunate situation, but anything that draws him criticism is cool with me.
This is EXACTLY what I mean.

Thank you for your honesty...this is a very good example of the way most are perceiving this play. No one likes Connolly.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
This is EXACTLY what I mean.

Thank you for your honesty...this is a very good example of the way most are perceiving this play. No one likes Connolly.
I know nothing about the guy... why is that?

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
I know nothing about the guy... why is that?
Watch his interviews. He portrays a polarizing personality. Doubt he's a bad guy at all, just comes off like a ***** in interviews. Never any smile, doesn't appear to enjoy the interview process, etc. Just seems like an introvert that doesn't go out of his way to make it seem like he's having a good time in front of the camera. I don't give a **** kind of attitude.

I'm pretty sure that's the only reason.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:12 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Connolly in interviews reminds me a lot of how Ryan Kesler handles himself in interviews. Both just seem like D-bags. It could just be that they're uncomfortable in front of the camera and it comes across in such a way that rubs people the wrong way. I've heard both are loved by their teammates though.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Connolly in interviews reminds me a lot of how Ryan Kesler handles himself in interviews. Both just seem like D-bags. It could just be that they're uncomfortable in front of the camera and it comes across in such a way that rubs people the wrong way. I've heard both are loved by their teammates though.
Similar, I think Kesler is a bit of a d-bag though. Connolly to me just seems like an introvert that comes off way worse than he actually is.

You'll rarely ever seen either crack a smile.