HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Is the "Rochester Core" good enough to win a Cup?

View Poll Results: Good enough?
Yes 11 17.46%
No 52 82.54%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-14-2011, 01:15 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
How can anyone put a core together and not have a single top 4 dman in it? In this case its becasue they want to attack certain players and adding in the dmen messes with the narrative.
Or it's because none of the defenseman are wearing letters, and that the D has changed over the years while the forwards have stayed the same. If any dmen were part of the "core", it was Lydman and Tallinder - and they're both gone. The top four has seen a complete turnover (or several) while the top six has remained largely the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Also, why is it never mentioned that the "Rochester core" has never played a full playoff series together due to injuries.
Injuries happen to every team. A well built team adjusts. Would a completely healthy Sabres team have made it out of the first round the last two years? Possibly. Would it be enough to suddenly be a contender? I have my doubts.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:02 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Or it's because none of the defenseman are wearing letters, and that the D has changed over the years while the forwards have stayed the same. If any dmen were part of the "core", it was Lydman and Tallinder - and they're both gone. The top four has seen a complete turnover (or several) while the top six has remained largely the same.
Nonsense. Your top players are you top players. Myers is part of the group of players we will rely on to win in the playoffs. So is Regehr, Ehrhoff and Leopold. You don't need a letter to be a leader. Also no team wins the Cup based on the play of just 4 or 5 guys carrying them. But as per usually fans on here what to beat on a select few so common sense goes out the window.

Quote:
Injuries happen to every team. A well built team adjusts. Would a completely healthy Sabres team have made it out of the first round the last two years? Possibly. Would it be enough to suddenly be a contender? I have my doubts
Like Boston folding against Philly when Krejci got injured and losing 4 straight. Or how about Chicago against the Nucks last year without Bolland? Lost 3 straight and when he returned they won 3 in a row to tie the series and lost in game 7. I thought that doesn't happen to a teams that have awesome leaders/captains like Toews and have a collection a stars and top players like Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook.

Look at the Bruins Cup win. The Nucks defense was battered with injuries and a suspension. Kesler tried to play through a hip injury he sustained in the Western Conference Finals but was a shell of what he was prior to the injury.

For a more painful example look at the defense we had to ice in the last few games of the 2006 Conference Finals -vs- the Canes. Then in the Finals the Oilers lost Rollie to injury.

The reality is injuries play a huge role in playoff success or failure. Poster hate to admit this is true because they want to blame GMs/coaches/players. They hate the idea that a certain level of luck is involved. But with the talent levels between teams in the playoffs so close. Sometimes all it takes for a series to turn is a few key players out injured.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-17-2011 at 10:07 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Disenfranchised*

That's why you build the toughest damn team you can so you knock people out in the playoffs. Seriously the most skilled teams rarely win.

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:55 PM
dkollidas

The short answer... No.

The long answer... Vanek is a very good player, but he's not the type of player I believe can lead a team on a cup run. Nor is Roy, Stafford, Pominville or even Miller. This team is good, but to me they're the type of team that is too good to be picking in the top-10 and getting a franchise player, but not good enough to win it all.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Watching the Sabres getting pushed around will be the norm if Drew Stafford and Derek Roy continue to play spectator. Roy in particular is on the less-than-useful list as long as he continues trying to con the refs into overlooking his shopworn diving routine, punctuated with dramatic head shakes as he heads to the penalty box.

The only effect that has on the officials is to irritate them. Personally, I'd rather see more of Zack Kassian and Luke Adam than Roy and Stafford.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle676792.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote