HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

How Much of a Hockey Town is Buffalo?

Old
12-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Due North View Post
Buffalo did a fabulous job as host. Hey look. Even though I'm not a Sabres fan
I'm not bashing Buffalo. Heck one of my daughters went to college in Buffalo, but
I know at times I listen to WGR sorts radio and it's Bills talk most of the time.
I went to 3 games ( Can vs Czeck, Can vs USA and Can vs Rus for Gold) in a
private box and even the host said how little American fans there were for
USA's other games.
Get outta here with that. WNY may be the most hockey crazed area in the US excluding Minnesota. We live hockey here. Thinking otherwise just makes you sound ignorant.

The bills are more popular, but this is america..what the heck do you expect?

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 500
Quote:
I'm not bashing Buffalo. Heck one of my daughters went to college in Buffalo, but
I know at times I listen to WGR sorts radio and it's Bills talk most of the time.
USA's other games.
Maybe it's because all the games you went to involved the Canadians?

Here's a fun video with commentary by Seth Rogan.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I'm Canadian obviously. I watched the WJC games from Buffalo on my TV. I don't think that the composition of those crowds is a good way to judge the popularity of hockey in Western New York.

Like many have said, that tournament specifically is far more popular in Canada than the USA and I know for a fact that people making the trip south were willing to pay obscene amounts of money for a ticket.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:01 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
I'm Canadian obviously. I watched the WJC games from Buffalo on my TV. I don't think that the composition of those crowds is a good way to judge the popularity of hockey in Western New York.

Like many have said, that tournament specifically is far more popular in Canada than the USA and I know for a fact that people making the trip south were willing to pay obscene amounts of money for a ticket.
it is the same reason you see so many leafs fans at buffalo games. it isn't because buffalo fans can't sell out the arena, but you can recoup nearly the entire cost of season tickets (depending on your section) by selling your leaf tickets to canadians...

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:19 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
it is the same reason you see so many leafs fans at buffalo games. it isn't because buffalo fans can't sell out the arena, but you can recoup nearly the entire cost of season tickets (depending on your section) by selling your leaf tickets to canadians...
Exactly.

I can't wait to make my eventual pilgrimage to Buffalo so I can see what I perceive to be a very passionate hockey market, first hand.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Blue n Gold Forever

Buffalo is a great hockey town - among the best you'll find. Hockey's been in our history and culture for decades - from the Buffalo Bisons in the AHL back in the day to the Sabres in the NHL - and along the way with outstanding youth programs and high school leagues as well as some successful college programs at various levels. I won't get into a debate about which American, or even Canadian city, is the best overall. But if you come here you'll become a part of a great hockey culture.

Proud to say I grew up playing pond hockey in grandmother's back yard in the 60s, high school hockey in the 70s, intramural hockey while a UB School of Pharmacy student in the 80s, in adult leagues until a few years ago, watching the Bisons win the Calder Cup in their final AHL year, being a Sabres fan for over 40 years, and taking my son to the rink from when he was 5 years old in through this year at age 16, and building a rink in my front yard every year so my kids could learn to skate. That's hockey culture and that's how it is all across Western NY

Last edited by Blue n Gold Forever: 12-13-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Blue n Gold Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:59 PM
puckish66

You realize it's a great hockey town when you see the reactions to the French Connection coming out to meet the new owner, to the alumni back in town en masse, to Rick Jeanneret's induction into the team hall of fame.

You also realize how great it is when those same passionate fans sit on their hands for this current team. Smart people. The city of no illusions.

The disconnect for me is the support for Lindy. I theorize it has a lot more to do with his history as a player here and status as a "Buffalo guy" than to his performance as coach, especially in the last 10 years.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Hank Moody
Easy, but not sleazy

Thanks for the replies. It definitely sounds like Buffalo is a passionate, dedicated hockey town. I like that. I'm looking forward to learning more about the city.

Hank Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

What's the unit of measurement?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:07 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
What's the unit of measurement?
AntiQuinns.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:08 AM
11Owen
Thanks, Feaster

Quote:
USA's other games.
Do you have anything else to defend yourself other than the attendance at the WJC or the fact that WGR focuses on the Bills during football season? Right now you are making yourself sound stupid so quit while you're ahead.

11Owen is offline   Reply With Quote